So I hear the Philippine's might be banning Dota/LoL in Internet Cafes.

MacLovin

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/21/7868281/dota-2-banned-philippines

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22077/20140514/dota-2-lol-banned-in-the-philippines.htm

http://www.dailydot.com/esports/dota-hooligans-barangay/

if this isn't the right place for this to go, then please move it.

I don't know the reputation of Filipino players in the general online community of MOBA games, so I have no input there.

Essentially, due to strings of incidents getting out of hand * , dota got banned from certain districts, and will be potentially banned from internet cafes.

*gambling, deaths, assorted violence, etc.

http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/16590/20140228/dota-2-hacking-boy-death-killed-philippines.htm

Edited by Howard the Duck

Your topic title makes it sound like the games may be banned for the whole country, which admittedly would be very extreme. Might want to add "at internet cafes" at the end. There is room.

As for my opinion... Well, I'm not affected by it, so I don't really care whether they do or don't.

Im expecting internet cafes players to make a riot shouting tang ina bobo or something

Yeah these kind of games are controversial for lack of better words. Around here people mostly know it for its massive prize money. They did not know the absolutely toxic community of the game

• 3 weeks later...

regarding the online community's reaction i wouldn't be surprised. i had the pleasure of participating in a doto tourney / ihl based in the SEA server while i was overseas for the last 6 months. in pub games as well as the ihl i noticed friction mainly between indians and filipinos. there seems to be a general dislike for filipino players on SEA, similar to the dislike of brazillians (peruvians?) on USW/USE and russians on EUW/USE. i personally disagree with the stereotypes (i played with spectacular players from both races, well in the 5.5-6k mmr range,) but yes, internet cafes and public matchmaking are the likely leading causes for spreading it.

there might also be an influx of a huge number of new filipino (asian) players because of team Newbee winning TI4; similar to what occured with the rise of the russian playerbase population after Natus Vincere won TI1. the community is overtly hostile towards new players; if they can identify the new players as a trend from a country, it makes it easier to write off an entire playerbase in a pub mindset.

regarding the specific ban of MOBAs in districts or internet cafes, i personally think it's wrongfully targeted and an overreaction. poorly maintained internet (gaming) cafes have a habit of attracting this kind of behaviour, regardless of the games being played. gambling, fights and drugs are almost always a staple at the worst internet cafe, especially if it's not located in / near a prime real estate area. there has been crap like this in internet cafes since counter strike was popular.

imo it's a question of proper management of the cafe (example: restaurants must meet certain standards & inspections to continue operating) rather than blaming a specific game or genre for the behaviour of the clientele.

Russians are most disliked on EUNE (Nordic and East) servers. Nearly every Eastern European country has beef with Russia for so many reasons compared to any other server. I think that's partly why Russia was given their own server.

indeed, i suspect that's the same reason for south america being broken up and peru being given it's own server

it's good that volvo has been able to steadily increase it's servers to cater to the players while still working on improving the game