Serra or Priscilla?

Katie

Who's the better unit: Serra or Priscilla?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which unit is the better early game healer to invest in?

• Serra
    • Priscilla

Who's better from a gameplay standpoint? Here are the pros for each:

Serra:

-Obtained earlier on

-Isn't bogged down by desert

-Has a higher starting HP stat

-Has better HP, Mag, and Res growths

-Ends with better HP, Spd, and Res stats on average

-Gains more Skl and Spd upon promotion

-Gains more WEXP in Light upon promotion than Valkyrie does in staves

Priscilla:

-Is mounted

-Has a higher starting level

-Has higher starting Mag, Skl, Lck, Def, and Res stats

-Is mounted, and has more Mov

-Has a higher starting staff rank

-Has better Skl and Lck growths

-Ends with better Mag, Skl, Lck, and Def stats on average

-Gains more Mag and Res upon promotion

I personally believe Serra is better, as not only is she obtained earlier than Priscilla, especially if you do Lyn mode(which is generally advised due to the extra EXP and being necessary for a certain Gaiden chapter in Hector Mode), which allows for ample time to surpass Priscilla,in addition to the fact that two of the stats Priscila beats her in on average, Skl and Lck, are generally considered the least important stats, and the differences in the other two have such negligible differences (.4 for Mag and .7 for Def) that it won't make much difference in the long run.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a staffbot, they're pretty much interchangable. As a combat unit, Priscilla is better because anima magic. It's lighter and stronger, and light's accuracy/hit only cancels out Priscilla's skill lead. Priscilla's horse also makes her more versatile when not using magic. They tend to be underlevelled because staves don't give much experience, so her bases matter more than Serra's growths.

If you're playing slower to grind them/using LHM, Serra might be better. Though her only real advantage is HP.

You're looking at a very statistical view on both characters. You neglect things like support rate, weapon type, and overall setting of which you're deploying the two characters in.

I personally like Pris because I hate being limited on Movement. There's also dondon's mentality.

Base stats are generally more important than ending stats, especially for healers, since they level so slowly until promotion. IIRC Serra needs like 8 levels on average to tie Priscilla's base MAG, which she probably isn't going to get by the time Priscilla comes even with Lyn Mode. Priscilla gets Anima on promotion as opposed to Light, which is a lot better (although she has an E base rank so meh), and she also gets increased EXP gain as a Valkyrie, so Serra will never come close to catching up to her in MAG, which along with MOV is the only stat that really matters for a staffbot. Priscilla is also mounted and has more MOV, which allows her to better keep up with your cavalry and heal them, and is also just more versatile. Serra is better in the desert, but that's only one map, and besides, if you really wanted a mobile healer there, a promoted Erk/Lucius/Canas would be better than Serra.

TBH once you get Priscilla there isn't a real reason to keep using Serra unless you like her more. She only looks good if you compare 20/20 stats, but it's very unlikely either will get there. Serra is probably the worst character in the game capable of using staffs, beyond, like, Nino and Renault.

I guess if we're going to do it this way.

Serra:

-Obtained earlier on

Much of which is entirely skippable and so easy that you probably won't even use up the 30-use Heal staff she comes with.

-Isn't bogged down by desert

One map, and since Physic is buyable by then, not even a big deal.

-Has a higher starting HP stat

-Has better HP, Mag, and Res growths

Literally meaningless. Neither of them have stellar defenses and Priscilla's higher Mag base and promotion bonus keep her higher in Mag forever.

-Ends with better HP, Spd, and Res stats on average

By the time they promote, they're pretty much doubling all the same enemies since FE7 enemies are so slow (that's if you promote them late and aren't just early promoting for better staff usage more quickly). Serra is also weighed down more by her weapons.

-Gains more WEXP in Light upon promotion than Valkyrie does in staves

What even is this trying to prove?

Bottom line, Priscilla comes early, is mounted (for more move, aid, and being able to move again), is statistically very similar but with superior Magic (the most important stat for a staff user), and has a better offensive magic type on promotion. Serra having a few extra chapters of use just doesn't live up to it.

She also has an indisputably much better personality.

(although she has an E base rank so meh),

For a comparison with Serra, who starts with D Light, it doesn't really make a difference. Shine has one more mt than Fire (Pris is probably winning magic anyway), but weighs Serra down by 3. Divine/Elfire have the same might, but Serra loses 6 more AS than Priscilla does. Serra's rank only really gives her earlier siege/S rank access.

i like Serra a lot more but Priscilla's pretty much better in every way.

Also am I the only one who sometimes forgets to buy Fire tomes and then Priscilla is unarmed when she promotes? It's the worst.

Edited by General Horace

i like Serra a lot more but Priscilla's pretty much better in every way.

Also am I the only one who sometimes forgets to buy Fire tomes and then Priscilla is unarmed when she promotes? It's the worst.

Yeah this happened to me in my first HHM run, but even worse. I promoted her at the beginning of CoD and all I had was a Restore staff with one use, some Vulneraries, a Heal Staff with less than 5 uses, and no Pure Waters. It was... not fun.

She also has an indisputably much better personality.

I'ma need you to back that ass up reaaaal quick.

Serra: Quirky funny character with hilarious supports.

Priscilla: "I need my brother bla bla bla" "Oh no you scared me, Guy" "Oh Guy, you startled me again" repeat.

Priscilla is a dull, uninteresting character. In fact, I prefer Serra just because of this.

I always used Serra because I like her more than Priscilla who was always kind of boring, though I'm not surprised at the numbers pointing towards Priscilla being a better unit.

I was speaking hypothetically.

To me, Serra is another one of those units which has everything going for her except for about one drawback. Said draw back in my opinion is that she does not have a useful magic stat. 12.5 strength at 20/1 to me does not sound very good for a unit. If you account for level and growth rates Nino has 5 magic at level 1. Prissy has 5.2 magic at lv 1. Erk has 5 magic at level 1. Lucius has 5.8 magic at level one. Finally, canas 5.95 magic at level 1. Serra is the only unpromoted magic unit to have 2 base magic.

An extra 3 magic would put her at 15.5 magic at 20/1 which to me is a pretty good magic stat for a healer. Having 7-8 range is actually useful compared to 6. Plus, with lightning I believe this allows her to turn many unpromoted enemy kills from a 3HKO to a 2HKO which is a single round of combat.

The problem with Serra is generally because having extra movement as a healer actually makes a lot of things goes better. I'm not a fast player by any means, but when i am asked to use 2 character to maximize serra or the 0 to maximize Priscilla, I choose the latter in a heartbeat

Light Magic being TOTAL GARBAGE doesn't help either. I still laughed when I saw the damage Canas does compared to Lucius, and then seeing that their stats is actually the same