So I got a bit bored of League. Anyone play Heroes of the Storm by any chance? I'm already up to above level 20 and bought into the Beta with the Founder's Pack (Blizzard didn't want to send me a key ypB9rkf.png) and it would be awesome to have more folks to friend and play with for the bonus friend experience, not to mention the game is amazingly fun with friends!

I'm trying to get into MOBAs a little now with Smite, but I would maybe get into other stuff in future. Haven't really seen anything on Heroes despite Blizzard being behind it.

• 3 months later...

Bump, since it is on the first page.

Anyone interested in Heroes of the Storm? The open beta was released on May 19, but its official release will be on the start of June (2nd, I think). I've been playing since before the closed beta, and I can vouch for this. It is much easier than other MOBAs regarding controls and all, since there are no items. It's one of these games that are easy to learn but hard to master.

• 2 weeks later...

Luckily most champions heroes I loved were cheap as well (try to guess which one). Kerrigan, Malfurion, Tychus, E.T.C and Sonya are by far my favorites, along with Nazeebo, which I haven't bought yet. I'm not bored with them at all.

My battletag is Rapier#1207, on the americas, if anyone wants to play a game. But I'm also kind of stupid in pvp, so this might lead to frustration.

I WILL BUY THE BUTCHER, WHATEVER IT TAKES

AHH FRESH MEAT

Edited by Rapier

This is one of the reasons why I like Blizzard, actually. Their games are easy to learn but hard to master. Diablo (any game in the series), Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm... I hope Overwatch is too, because a 3D MOBA seems very complicated to me.

Warcraft was harder than other RTS games, like Age of Empires/Mythology, but that's an exception.

Edited by Rapier

I hope Overwatch is too, because a 3D MOBA seems very complicated to me.

You haven't tried Smite, I assume? It's managable. Though it looked like Overwatch resembled Team Fortress 2 more.

This is one of the reasons why I like Blizzard, actually. Their games are easy to learn but hard to master. Diablo (any game in the series), Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm... I hope Overwatch is too, because a 3D MOBA seems very complicated to me.

Warcraft was harder than other RTS games, like Age of Empires/Mythology, but that's an exception.

Diablo games? The simple point&click game I have played for years? Hearthstone? The dumb downed combination version of hundred of TCG? Heroes of the Storm? The mindless version of Dota 2 and LOL?

Spare me your hype, please.

If there's no one in this that plays like Techies, there's no reason to play this.

My eye is definitely being kept on this game. The computer I'm using right now only runs DOTA 2 on lower quality settings with animated portraits turned off, but when I invest in a better gaming PC, Heroes of the Storm is one of the things I may pick up.

I don't like that you apparently have to unlock characters though. In DOTA 2, when I was new and I wanted to play Venomancer, I was able to play Venomancer. On the flip side, I don't want to spend any sort of currency (in game or real life) to play a hero like Earth Spirit only to find out that I suck at playing him because I didn't know he had such a high skill cap.

Edited by MostAncientOnes

You haven't tried Smite, I assume? It's managable. Though it looked like Overwatch resembled Team Fortress 2 more.

I haven't, and to be honest I have issues playing shooters as well (because I rarely play them). I think I'll have issues playing Overwatch, at least in the beginning.

In DOTA 2, when I was new and I wanted to play Venomancer, I was able to play Venomancer. On the flip side, I don't want to spend any sort of currency (in game or real life) to play a hero like Earth Spirit only to find out that I suck at playing him because I didn't know he had such a high skill cap.

You don't need to. There are plenty of quests and bonuses for level proggressing in the game. For example, there are 6 heroes available in a free week. Getting an hero to level 5 grants you 500 gold. Completing daily quests give you between 300-800 gold. Reaching a certain level gives you 1000 gold. The game even gives you a free stimpack at level 10, which means you'll get heroes to level 500 quicker and earn more gold from battles, because it raises your gains to 150%.

There's also a bundle of around 4 dollars for people who want some basic champions and a stimpack, but it's entirely optional, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

So I take back everything I said about Murky. He's a fucking beast that rips open Kael'thas's anus. On another note, I went from rank 50 to like...3 in a week. I then loss-streaked all the way down to 6. Pretty rough up here.

Diablo games? The simple point&click game I have played for years? Hearthstone? The dumb downed combination version of hundred of TCG? Heroes of the Storm? The mindless version of Dota 2 and LOL?

Spare me your hype, please.

Diablo 3 surprisingly can take some skill (unless you were like Sentry DH - haven't checked if this bs got fixed yet because the playstyle is very unengaging), but there's a lot of...game design issues. I'm sure some have been addressed but when I left, one-shot Jailer with next to no counterplay was a hell of a thing that ruined high GR runs.
As for Hearthstone, it indeed looks quite simplified compared to another TCG such as Magic (used to play some back in the day. I wasn't very good but it was fun, so why not), but it does have some of its own gameplay quirks, especially in Adventure Mode, card effects, and when it comes to how the game handles certain card interactions. I would safely say it's its own thing at this point, though that doesn't mean the game isn't without problems (such as excessive RNG even for a typical TCG).
As for Heroes, I've heard remarks much like for ages and I find it misses the mark by a good bit. Yes, aspects of a typical MOBA were indeed stripped away such as last-hitting, but it's not like the game is suddenly empty - that's where things like objective-focused gameplay, team-wide experience, tower ammunition, and some heroes with some mechanics, some of which are surprisingly not just ripped out of another champion's kit (that border on unfair) come in (seriously, I know Murky is squishy as hell but a 4 second respawn late-game is outright overpowered).
I'm wondering on what metric you're evaluating on to view that what Rapier said as "hype" though. He's hardly even acting like a "fanboi" (believe me, there's some insanely staunch defenders of what Blizzard does and no, I'm not one of them - I have my grievances with Blizzard in numerous ways but that's what criticism is for.)
Edited by Interest

For Heroes of the Storm, I'd recommend bringing friends. The bonus 50% experience and generally increased enjoyment goes a long way towards getting into the game.

As for Hearthstone, I'd try to pick up arena since you get to use cards you probably won't have for a while, plus you get to dodge the frustration of going against netdecks. Also, consider saving gold for Adventure Mode wings (such as Blackrock Mountain wing 1). Finally, consider following some knowledgeable Hearthstone players such as Trump.

what's good beginner's advice/tips/picks for someone who wants to get into Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone?

The usual stuff for MOBAs applies. Watch videos, read guides and builds, experiment and learn by playing. There are videos on Youtube that give handy, simple advises for newbies that are oftenly mislooked.

I'm still a rather mediocre HOTS player, I have issues with risking too much and playing recklessly, especially when I don't see tanks tanking and decide to take action by my own hands. Since I have bad luck picking people for my team who are afk, who forget objectives exist or who do not cooperate in tfs and maneuvers, I've avoided Team League and competitive play in general. Sometimes I play with friends of mine, and we usually win, but whenever the enemy team is well coordinated and decent, we tend to lose.

Dragon Shire gives me the most losses, lol. I'm terrible in that map. There are times when we're recapturing shrines and getting enemies away from them for roughly 10 minutes, only to succeed or fail. It gives more adrenaline than a roller coaster.

Edited by Rapier

I personally detest Dragon Shire as well. Map is damn stressful and stealthies reign supreme there I swear.

Oh incidentally, a potential way to get into Heroes is to pick up Murky. He can afford to die many times, meaning your mistakes won't have as much impact and you have a lot more room to learn and if you can master surviving as Murky, you'll truly be a force to be reckoned with.

Still trying to go for the fabled zero-death Murky.

Uh, what. Murky is so squishy, I think a new player will die a lot with him and have issues surviving. I think it's better to play as an Easy Assassin or Tank, like Valla or E.T.C "Echidna The Cnuckles", or Muradin.

That said, I haven't actually played as Murky, ever.

I'll miss Zeratul. Void Prison so OP, and it's so fun to ZA WARUDO the entire enemy team and my pals like that. I might buy him.

Edited by Rapier

Uh, what. Murky is so squishy, I think a new player will die a lot with him and have issues surviving. I think it's better to play as an Easy Assassin or Tank, like Valla or E.T.C "Echidna The Cnuckles", or Muradin.

That said, I haven't actually played as Murky, ever.

That's the point. Dying a lot with him isn't quite as impacting despite how easy he is to kill (or perhaps because of it). "Feeding" suddenly becomes a non-issue especially thanks to how much experience Murky gives per death and how champion deaths will generally be the least of one's worries when it comes to trying to be ahead on experience (compared to objectives and soaking especially). You could just set your egg in a safe spot (heck, even just the fountain at all times - should be okay at lower player levels) and essentially have access to an endless supply of uptime to learn the maps and general gameplay, which are a bit of a higher priority than learning some champions.

As I mentioned above, playing as Murky, a champion who dies a lot, and gradually improving, thus reducing death numbers, will help players survive better with other champions through more conservative play and the like. Also, Safety Bubble is a good ability to practice using in general since it can be used in a clever manner to avoid deadly abilities, with the experience from that working well with using other escape and avoidance moves (Valla Vault, Muradin Dwarf Toss, etc).

Edited by Interest

• 2 weeks later...

That's my particular problem with Murky. Since he dies so easily, it is hard for newcommers to adapt to the controls of the game and learn how to play efficiently. It's like sending a complete newbie on platform games to go play Megaman with infinite lives, with the caveat that being hit even once kills your character. I think it can be very frustrating to play as Murky if you are not skilled in the game because you won't be able to do anything, since he's very fragile and has very low HP.

I mean, a newcommer can easily play as Valla. All they have to do is shoot, use E to escape and the other keys for dealing damage. It's that simple and way less risky than playing as Murky. Muradin is also easy to play since he has an easy escape (with E) and can tank anything (especially with his first R option), being very hard to kill.

btw, I'm back to playing Hearthstone. When should I start buying the goblins & gnomes packs? I've been buying only the vanilla packs so far.

Edited by Rapier