I feel like I'm completely alone on this.

Caster

I feel at time I'm the only person who absolutely hates all the mechanics Thracia is constantly praised for.

I really hate the fatigue system.

I just enjoy using characters I like. I personally don't care for having to micro-manage and the challenge of using everyone. I personally just want to use units I like and not be gimped for it.

Dismounting is my least favorite mechanic in the entire series. I find it really unnecessary. Yeah, it nerfs mounts in a way, but I really hate the way it sword-locks every single mounted unit. I don't want to carry a ton of excess swords around just for units that are only going to need them for certain chapters! I would be fine with the mechanic if people could use whatever weapon they specialize in, which would make SENSE.

I like the idea of capturing. I really do.

But I can't stand using it. Mainly because it gimps your accuracy a lot, in a game where accuracy is annoying because of the RNG system. I also don't like that more or less any enemy unit can just wisk away any cleric or I believe, mages, I don't really remember how that works so feel free to correct me on that. I don't know how they'd do it but give a bit more critera before you just kidnap the lightest units in the game. I know it's to punish you for messing up, but kmon. And the times I would enjoy buying weapons I can't really buy much or any, because the only way you get money is really by capturing and selling things, and even when I want to buy something it costs SO MUCH it's not even worth it.

Other mechanics I personally dislike are fog of war, it was much better implemented in other games, and even though I hate them in those games at least I can STAND IT.

I also hate that there are very few ways to actually recover from status ailments, which is really cheap and stupid in my opinion. Because if you get berserked or put asleep you're pretty much screwed.

I'm not trying to start any fights or anything, because I can appreciate them trying new mechanics, but I honestly find that half the mechanics in this make it very irritating and unplayable for me, which is a shame, because I really want to finish it because I love this continent this game takes place in, but I cannot bear to even play it.

I really needed to get this off my chest.

Am I the only one with this opinion?

Probably.

filthy casual

Thracia isnt for everyone you know.

yeah i know

i really want to like this game though but i can't

i like a lot of it's ideas but i just hate the execution

i try to play it and then i just stop because it completely wears me out and irritates

I like capture, but I wasn't a big fan of dismounting. While I appreciate that something was done about mount supremacy, I would like a solution that doesn't rob mounts of their uniqueness for half the maps. My preferred technique would be more compact map design, movement types that limit the mobility of mounts in some situations, and a higher prevalence of anti mount weapons, but that's just me. Fatigue I'm kind of ambivalent about, at least enemy stats are relatively low so that you're rarely completely screwed over.

I'd have to agree with that, actually.

Of course, this is Serenesforest, which bases forum hierarchy on how well they can joke about their 0% LTC Draft runs of whatever's their favorite game. So any response you get beyond here may just going to boil down to a passive aggressive version of this:

filthy casual

Good luck, miss.

Yup. I'm pretty sure you're the only one in a planet of +7 billion people that hates the mechanics in Thracia 776.

Sorry for being Red Fox of Fire.

Honestly though, I can see where you're coming from. FE5 is way more different than the gba and wii era games, so some mechanics can seem out of place for FE. Some people like them (me!!!) and a I know a lot of people who find them annoying and unnecessary. Dismounting I liked just because I was sick of horses running through castles. Made more sense. And kept mounted units from being broken like in FE4.

Capturing is tough, but it seems like you like the idea of it, just not the execution. I think there's ways around the gimping, just take a little more effort. But for me, it's worth it to see the enemy under my control, rather than, ya know, SLAUGHTERED.

They were experimenting with FOW for the first time here, so it ended up being brutal. Cool if you like the challenge, if not, yes it's annoying af.

Status ailments. Yeah... that was annoying. Not too annoying though, cause staffs are broken in FE5, but I see here your coming from.

Overall, Thracias pretty much you love it or you hate it. Opinions are fine.

I can sort of agree with that except for the

Okay when I get off my horse I'm going to throw away my axe/lance i normally use and just use a sword instead of a weapon i am trained to use

??????

I don't remember if capturing gimps your power but if it does i would rather that over an accuracy decrease because it's literally enraging with that rng to system to capture (imo)

Out of 7 billion people on the planet, I'm pretty sure you're-

Yup. I'm pretty sure you're the only one in a planet of +7 billion people that hates the mechanics in Thracia 776.

Sorry for being Red Fox of Fire.

Oh shi-

The funny thing here is that I'm actually with you, Sophie. I don't really know if it was the mechanics themselves or something else about the game, but I just found a lot of aspects about Thracia annoying. Capturing especially disappointed me, since it's a mechanic that had been really hyped up and I thought would be pretty cool to use but I ended up wishing it just wasn't there.

Red Fox agreeing with someone what is this

But yeah a lot of mechanics in Thracia that people hype up I just wish weren't there.
Capturing is really annoying.

Fatigue gets in the way of how I enjoy playing the game.

It especially bothers me when a lot of people are like

Oh FE5 is the best of fire emblem i want these mechanics back

and i'm just like

nopls

Not here to argue, just throwing in another perspective.

@Fatigue: I actually ended up liking it this cause of how stupidly easy it is to trivialize the other games with 1 particular unit and depending on how you play, this could even be anyone. Here you run around with a bunch of sick broken fucks but the fatigue system actually gives you incentive to use other units that the other games (for the most part), do not. 'sides, the game's still quite doable with just a few units, you just have to rotate them accordingly.

@Dismount: Dismounting is pretty fucking stupid. Some could argue that it helps balance things by giving the non-mounted folks a chance to be better. Personally, I don't really care.

@Capturing: Oh I live capturing. It's a more interesting way of acquiring funds than in the other games and because of it you potentially have more access to some of the more interesting items than you do in other games like the multiple elemental swords, status staves, warps, physics/libro. Being able to capture to acquire weapons almost removes the need for shops anyway, IIRC the only thing I really cared about buying in the shops are the Knight Proofs, Wind tomes and maybe S-Drinks. Just stack Charisma, supports and use the Brave/Hero weapons for capturing to ease the randomness.

Btw, units are auto-captured when they're defenseless, ie. do not have a weapon like staff users, have a broken tome as mages, are asleep, are silenced as mages (not 100% sure on this one).

@Fog of War: Eh, not going to say much on this one since it's really subjective. I prefer it here because in the other games you're given too much information if you know about the terrain so you have more incentive to light the place and be careful. I don't recall Fog of War being much of a threat or anything to worry about outside of maybe putting low-luck units into Ursula's Bolting range in FE7. Oh that sweet sweet crit chance with a 3-10 range MAGIC weapon.

@Status Effects: I'm not sure what to say, I'm looking at the Rest staff availability and it seems fine to me. The ever-lasting poison effect in the early chapters seemed like a mild annoyance and there's antidotes you can get to cure it, rescuing asleep units solved the issue of them being unable to move in escape maps and I remember getting more use out of the Berserk staff than the enemy since those are usually what you wanna silence.

And yeah, what the ex Anti-Mage over there said. I've seen more people hate on Thracia's more unique aspects than like them.

Edited by Sirius

Okay when I get off my horse I'm going to throw away my axe/lance i normally use and just use a sword instead of a weapon i am trained to use

??????

I'm not sure about axes, but wielding a lance on horseback is a considerably different fighting style from using a spear on foot. It was normal for knights who dismounted their horses for whatever reason to discard their polearms in favor of a side arm such as a sword.

I would say my biggest issue with dismounting is that it's arbitrarily biased against lance- and axe-users. Dragon knights in particular are hit hard.

You're certainly not alone.

FE5 while usually cherished by trying out a lot of mechanics is also pretty criticized by how they turned out, and how 'easier' the game turns out with the given foresight, or rather, how unforgiving it is for those without. Heck, I can understand when people raise doubt on things like infinity-lasting status effects, why healing staves can even miss (though thief staff misses are clutch #nobias), or why capturing is so punishing by halving almost all of your stats (and rescuing for that matter). It's a polarizing game, especially if you go in blind, and there's definitely room for debate over how fine-tuning the mechanics would go. I don't remember it being super praised in a while, but apparently there was some 'Kaga master race' sentiment recently??? (or maybe I just don't come around here as much)

I personally enjoy the freedom of choice I feel when given options like capture (and no, mages can't be captured without a fight like with clerics btw Edit: unless they're silenced, yes), action-free trade, and also certain thought-inducing mechanics like minimum deploy size and fatigue (though fatigue is more exploitable with stamina drinks), and I definitely find it interesting to see how far people could push the game with what it gives you (and warp, of course #beststaff). Though that's just me.

You definitely don't need to stress yourself over the game if you don't enjoy it and other people do. Whatever people want to see in the next fire emblem, it'll be up to IS to see whether it works and is fun for their target demographic.

Edited by Xinnidy

You're definitely not alone on this, and even though Thracia is one of my favorite games I can easily see where you're coming from. Status staves are a massive pain, and FOW can be pretty brutal.

That being said, stats being lowered when attempting to capture makes perfect sense IMO. Your units are intentionally holding back so that they don't end up killing their opponent. I also love how Thracia is the only FE game where if an enemy has a cool piece of equipment, you can just take it from them rather than lamenting that they don't drop their items.

Edited by Monado Boy

first of all, clearly the "I feel like I'm alone in this" is an attention whoring type thread... just state your opinion confidently and be done with it.

At any rate, I remember having a chat with a bunch of people about how weird this game is. If you're a big fan of weird, then Thracia's a great game; if you're not, then sure. I remember liking the mechanics just because it was really strange. Just a list of random weird shit

- Cyas vs Sety recruitment

- Rewarp staffs

- infinitely long statuses

- Fatigue

- Fog of War and also Fog of War in maps where you can choose your units, because it just goes around a map of emptiness

- Shanam

- Lara's whole promotion line

- Capture

- Marty

- Ralph was just the most normal, generic, and middling unit out there, and that was weird in and of itself

- The Chapter 15 (?) Route split

- Chapter 4 out of fucking nowhere

- That whole Eyval clusterfuck

- Eyval can't die

- All these broken prf tomes

- Stealing poison weapons makes them Iron weapons, the basic Dark tome is uhh... poison if the enemy uses it

- that one fog of war chapter where the fucking dark mages teleport everywhere

- Scrolls in general

- Xavier recruitment

- How Ronan and and Tania are almost completely useless

- Kein/Alva/Robert and their talkative-ness

- High hit, 1-2 range 60 crit axe

- Player Counter Critical

- Galzus out of fucking nowhere

Help me out guys.

I'm not sure about axes, but wielding a lance on horseback is a considerably different fighting style from using a spear on foot. It was normal for knights who dismounted their horses for whatever reason to discard their polearms in favor of a side arm such as a sword.

I would say my biggest issue with dismounting is that it's arbitrarily biased against lance- and axe-users. Dragon knights in particular are hit hard.

Well in this regard I feel that they would actually know... a bit on how to fight with their preferred weapon on foot.

Maybe just drop or lower max weapon rank while on foot or something.. I dunno.

I don't like how escaping works either. I don't like the idea of losing a unit if you forget to let them escape or something. I mean, it makes sense, but it's still kind of annoying.

Well in this regard I feel that they would actually know... a bit on how to fight with their preferred weapon on foot.

Maybe just drop or lower max weapon rank while on foot or something.. I dunno.

That seems like a pretty reasonable compromise to me, especially since it can be applied evenly to all weapon types.

Of course, this is Serenesforest, which bases forum hierarchy on how well they can joke about their 0% LTC Draft runs of whatever's their favorite game. So any response you get beyond here may just going to boil down to a passive aggressive version of this:

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that happen.

I dislike fatigue heavily, but I actually do like capturing, and dismounting is like whatever.

I don't like how escaping works either. I don't like the idea of losing a unit if you forget to let them escape or something. I mean, it makes sense, but it's still kind of annoying.

You know you can get them back, right?

Same goes for captured allies that are taken away, granted you only get one chance, but still you get one.

Edited by Soledai

I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that happen.

ditto.

Fatigue is kinda hard to implement properly, but it's a nice idea.

Capturing/Dismounting is fun. I guess the fact that all dismounted non-bow units get swords refers to swords being a good side-arm?

Fire Sword Fin was boss.

you literally did not have to post this. there was nothing that prompted you to go all "rage-against-the-LTC-ubermensch" in a passive aggressive way. not a single user has come into this thread and seriously contended that TC is wrong because she's a casual and not playing FE5 the right way, and i sure as hell am not going to be the first.

i agree that fatigue is irritating if you feel like you have to constantly watch out for it, and players who are familiar with FE5 will find fatigue to be a non-issue because you can just buy a ton of S drinks in chapter 14 and it'll never be a problem for the rest of the game. it puts a lot of stress on one kind of player and no stress at all on another.

i also appreciate dismounting because it makes possible a certain type of map that you can't have in games without dismounting. even in FE10 where mounted units got a -2 mov penalty indoors, those maps played the exact same way as outdoor maps because units could still rescue, attack, drop, etc. and canto. units retaining their primary weapon type would have been a bit more intuitive from a gameplay perspective, especially since not a whole lot of players get the realism aspect of dismounting and no longer using lances because they work differently on foot.