A thread with sprites in it. I guess.

vilkalizer

Cool, looking better to me. Would be interested to see how it looks with a shadow. Once again nice proportions, you seem to pick up advice pretty quickly too. :D

Question on the weapon, is it a spear? Or something else? If its a spear, the blade... Appears a little dull? Like... Not sharp and pointed, but kinda rounded like a paddle at the moment.

...spear heads are a pain in general. But some more definition/shine to it if it is indeed metallic would be good... Even if it is some red metal alloy.

Edit: comparing the two I quite like the new sprite. The posing of the legs earlier was a bit more dynamic looking though... But again, depends on what you want to go for. Whether more sort of action ready, or more disciplined/balanced in their weight placement.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you want to do is really accentuate the booty butt area:
acc37c04be.gif

Once you've done that you're going to want to ascend to the next level:
410af0aaeb.gif

Vilkalizer, I really hope at least you laughed at this, otherwise this was way too much effort for a twerking joke

All jokes aside, I think you've got the height correct. He would be slightly shorter than Ephraim because he's hunched.
And I guess the rest is just sharp details in the pants or boots, its kind of hard to explain but sometimes don't be afraid to make the lightest shade touch the darkest shade (aka cutting out the middle shade for certain areas of the body).

^ Lol'd like a motherfucker, rest assured it was well worth the effort.

And I guess the rest is just sharp details in the pants or boots, its kind of hard to explain but sometimes don't be afraid to make the lightest shade touch the darkest shade (aka cutting out the middle shade for certain areas of the body).

I'll keep it in mind!

Question on the weapon, is it a spear? Or something else? If its a spear, the blade... Appears a little dull? Like... Not sharp and pointed, but kinda rounded like a paddle at the moment.

Yeah, it kinda looks like a paddle right now... but it's a spear. I'm not quite sure what to do with it, honestly - the tip is actually supposed to be fairly thin, but then it'd just look like a stick in sprite form. Will need to find a way to make it look more spear-y. And I'll see if I can twerk tweak the stance a bit more, too.

I went through some files and stumbled on something I did a while back.

NumQrbz.gif

Kinda obvious Mercenedit, but, eh. Obviously incomplete, too, but could be fun to continue working on at some point.

0OV9M1G.gif

Also, I might as well share my first attempt at editing FE sprites ever (however many years back): Turning one kind of monk into a completely different kind of monk! I actually had some help with it, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Still, that return is really awkward... And the distance between them doesn't resemble anything that actually exists in Fire Emblem. Well, this one was simply for fun.

The monk is really good... You clearly have an eye, and a knack for animation.(I know you said it was helped... But still!)

...Merc edit is alright, a bit incomplete as you said... Doesn't quite flow as nice look as dynamic as some of your others.

That girl looks like she is an airplane traffic controller the way she is saving her arms. ;)

...I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

I sometimes feel that your parts are redrawn a little bit too much. While it is certainly a sign of good work it's a bit more characteristic of FE battle animations to move as few parts as possible, giving it a more cartoon-y effect. (Though as others have pointed out, you've clearly a lot of talent for this stuff anyhow.)

Glad you guys enjoy Punchy Lucius :D:

That girl looks like she is an airplane traffic controller the way she is saving her arms. ;)

Her critical hit animation will be directing a 747 to land on the enemy. Give her all your killing edges.

I sometimes feel that your parts are redrawn a little bit too much. While it is certainly a sign of good work it's a bit more characteristic of FE battle animations to move as few parts as possible, giving it a more cartoon-y effect. (Though as others have pointed out, you've clearly a lot of talent for this stuff anyhow.)

Any particular part(s) you're thinking of? I don't think I go that overboard compared to existing stuff, especially for characters who have things like capes and long hair.

jsPv6DE.gifPH1Py5R.gif

Edited by vilkalizer

Once again... That Lucius is really freaking awesome! Slight proportion changes at times though. Some shading gaffs... But other than that... Damn that is cool. :D

On the new one... Yu have a pretty good guy here. Are yu guan-na do anything more with him? ;p

Now as for possible improvements... Feels like his design is... A little plain at the moment. Like a belt, sash, and/or bandanna/headband/hat would make it more visually interesting and appealing IMO. I get not wanting to overcomplicate the design for animation, but I think it needs at least one more element to it at the moment design wise to just "kick it up a notch!" ;)

Loving these though. Keep it up bud!

...and go join the battle sprite comp! Go go go now! You're too good not to enter and develop some more from the challenges... If you wanna. XP

:D:

Not sure yet if I'll continue working on this or get distracted by something else. But I at least want to make sure this one frame looks decent before moving on, and I see your point about needing something more, so now he's Guan Two.

h1dgwMd.gif

Tried giving him a belt, and a bandanna too while I was at it. I'm out of room to add more colours though... so the only one with enough shades is green, which might blend too much with the coat.

hyI47WF.gif

...well, that or skin/metal, but the contrast makes it look more like he has a saucepan on his head. Also I should probably not be giving this guy anything that could be mistaken for a yellow turban.

M6gs9gJ.gif

...'course, there's always the comedy option.

SJnHumM.gif

...so here's Ross playing the cello instead.

Not sure how I could make the stick look less like a bat.

There's no such thing as "too fast" when it comes to guitars!

That Ross cello is amazeballs.

I went through some files and stumbled on something I did a while back.

NumQrbz.gif

Kinda obvious Mercenedit, but, eh. Obviously incomplete, too, but could be fun to continue working on at some point.

0OV9M1G.gif

Also, I might as well share my first attempt at editing FE sprites ever (however many years back): Turning one kind of monk into a completely different kind of monk! I actually had some help with it, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Still, that return is really awkward... And the distance between them doesn't resemble anything that actually exists in Fire Emblem. Well, this one was simply for fun.

NINJA LUCIUS! I love it! Nice smoothness and stance there in that final frame!

Here's something new I came up with.

mhEohtp.gif

It's based on a specific person, but I don't think any of yu are guan to be able to guess who it is. He is supposed to be huge, though!

bFhVjLE.gif

On a less serious note, another of the atrocities I subjected poor Lucius to.

Beard. (yes to comedy version)

I also love Lucius' heavenly sword or righteousness. Dem stances.

Thanks guys :D:

probably just me b/c I mostly recognize him from Dynasty Warriors but I think he needs armor, but otherwise good job.

Even in DW, I think the amount of armour he wears differs between games. I'm more looking for a coat/robe thing here.

I can give him a party hat, though!

L9qSKYs.gif

And one of those annoying things what go "toot". (I blame your sig for this.)

Hmmm... Maybe a small chest piece might further liven up the design a bit? ...or some sort of belt/sash diagonally across his chest? I personally liked that green hat the best, looked good to me. ;)

...happy bday to yu? XP

...if running out of colors, maybe just go with darkest shade for the outline of the coat instead of the dark green? Then you could pair your brown with some bright red color, and one of your light skin tones to make a basic red pallete for a sash or something. :0

even guan yu can't resist the party hat

No one can resist the party hat

...although come to think of it kinda looks like...

...hold on a moment...

xFuzBeE.gif

Go home Guan Yu, you're drunk.

Hmmm... Maybe a small chest piece might further liven up the design a bit? ...or some sort of belt/sash diagonally across his chest? I personally liked that green hat the best, looked good to me. ;)

Might work. Beard's going to cover up a lot of anything I put on his chest, though.

...if running out of colors, maybe just go with darkest shade for the outline of the coat instead of the dark green? Then you could pair your brown with some bright red color, and one of your light skin tones to make a basic red pallete for a sash or something. :0

...I actually didn't even think of that. :facepalm: But yeah, the outline looks a little harsher if I do that, but it works.

I could also use the pure grey hair colour instead of the blueish grey on the weapon, which would save another two colours.

lgUbHOj.gif

That doesn't actually look too bad.

Well, I'm going to fiddle with it some more.

Those color ideas sound good. I recommend maybe trying out a bit more contrast in the greens. Maybe utilizing that darkest green after all? Its not bad colors, just thinking a bit more color/hue seperation would help them pop a bit more... also would help the outline be less harsh.

EDIT:

That traffic cone... that Top Hat! XD

you should make me a battle sprite :D:

but really, you're sprites are really smooth and creative. If I can get skill battle animations to work in FE8, I'll have to include that sword monk