A thread with sprites in it. I guess.

vilkalizer

Top hats are quite rad, I'm glad we can all agree.

I recommend maybe trying out a bit more contrast in the greens. Maybe utilizing that darkest green after all? Its not bad colors, just thinking a bit more color/hue seperation would help them pop a bit more... also would help the outline be less harsh.

9hYSAnj.gif

Yeah, that looks pretty nice.

If I can get skill battle animations to work in FE8, I'll have to include that sword monk

It's going to need more polish if it's to be used for anything more than a silly gif, though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, colors look great to me now. Fits with regular FE sprites even better now.(Still think bandanna and some sorta red sash across chest/partially under beard and red belt sash would look really good. ;p )

Like where you are going with the design though.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Its cool. I saw a similar attempt at giving Lyn an Axe with the same problem here though. Need some different Axe angles, like in Hawkeye's berserker Axe sprites to make the attack look right.

With it ending with the Axe pointing towards the ground it looks more like she slapped the brigand with the Axe rather than sliced him. Need to have some indication with horizontal strikes that the edge has cut the victim. Its why most Axe strikes sprites are vertical to avoid having to make angled perspective Axe blades... They are a pain to get right.

Pretty cool. I agree with errant on the axe angles, and it's also pretty weird that she makes the sheathing motion, and then immediately undoes it.

I do like me some axe lord, but that doesn't warrant lyn animation >:(

at least use blade lord

What's wrong with Lyn animation >:(

With it ending with the Axe pointing towards the ground it looks more like she slapped the brigand with the Axe rather than sliced him.

Are you telling me that wouldn't hurt? :P:

actually I think I've found the reason behind Lyn's crummy damage output...

I like it, can you do one with Eirika?

I could, but it would involve a complete animation overhaul, so in practice it's probably not going to happen.

I mean, a cutting sword and axe are similar enough in that you hit them with the sharp bit, but Eirika's animation is all about thrusting, which is kinda awkward with an axe.

76JM2JA.gif

:huh:

Pretty cool. I agree with errant on the axe angles, and it's also pretty weird that she makes the sheathing motion, and then immediately undoes it.

That's just the return, not the sheathing animation - I took that out. Sheathing happens after she lands and stands up, while the hair is swinging.

WzQhWr7.gif

Anyway, after some more polish...

drs4EZO.gif

Took out some stray pixels I missed, added dodge animation, made the swing pierce, angled the axe, and smoothed the part where she sets it down. Still not entirely happy with that bit, but it's good enough for now.

Edited by vilkalizer

Dear me, those are nice animations! Do Lyn Blade Lord nao!

But her attack animation is too quick, axes are supposed to be heavy, and I think it's weird if she attacks too fast.

And don't forget, some axe users build power or speed before swinging the axe, like Fighter's and Hector's. Except if they are strong enough to lift it without building power, then... yeah.

And also her dodge animation needs some fixing. Her face and her hair really have to be fixed. She doesn't look beautiful that way tho which saddens me :'(

Sorry if I have a lot of wrong selection of words, because English is not my mother tongue.

cPXVM4T.gif

Critical axe hit to the face! Batta's gonna feel that in the morning.

Holy shit this has been a pain in the ass. Not so much the spriting, that took less time than the regular attack, but getting it in the game... Well, anyway. Fun seeing it in action, either way.

Lyn clearly needed to axe Batta a very important question...

"Would you like me to inform your next of kin now, or after 5 seconds?"

-Axe looks better now. Nice improvement... Lyn is looking good chopping up Brigands like firewood. :D

Why does she grow an alien head during the dodge?

The dodge is just her unarmed dodge animation from the game; all I did was add the axe.

8giVWpU.gifYkUigEm.gif

What's the problem with it, exactly?

Blame IS? I guess? ...eh. Looks ok to me, but can see some people thinking its a lil odd.

If you need help scripting I can lend a hand

That'd be great. I made a thread over here detailing the issue I'm running into if you'd like to take a look.

Lyn clearly needed to axe Batta a very important question...

:D:

New hack idea: Play as Batta's elderly mother seeking revenge on the green-haired demon who killed her son.

Her head is weird on the final stance, for me.

...I'm starting to realize that the heads are actually different on the armed and unarmed dodge frames (why intsys you fuckers) so the next time I remake it I guess I'll just copy-paste the head from the armed dodge.

TwkzvsE.gif

Edited by vilkalizer

New hack idea: Play as Batta's elderly mother seeking revenge on the green-haired demon who killed her son.

Could be called... Retired Emblem? >.>

Dodge head with Axe looks better now BTW... Unarmed head is indeed different... Oh IS... DX