So I finally got around to playing this game...

I eventually got around to finishing Shadow Dragon. I got bored and quit for awhile because my obsessive save state abuse was taking all of the fun out of it. (not to mention making it take forever) ...Which is actually something that can be said of every Fire Emblem game I play nowadays, but I digress. It was fun making Minerva an invincible goddess of destruction though. Arena Abuse + Stat Boosters + Forged weapons + Starsphere = lol

But what the hell? I've never played a Fire Emblem game more impossible than this one. Even Thracia 776 (what little of it I played) was perfectly reasonable (except for healing staves missing - f*** that).

In this, it's a struggle just to make it past the damned prologue chapters. The enemies are ridiculously strong, and you have basically nothing and no one to fight them with. And when you do somehow make it past the first two chapters (Mandatory Vulnerary spam just to make it past the first chapter??), you are stuck in a tiny inclosed box fighting people in a perfect inescapable formation that will massacre you no matter what.

I shouldn't have to resort to a specific starting class or a couple of lucky perfect level ups just to make it past the prologue chapters. (assuming that would even work) Not even Thracia 776 was that ridiculous. And I'm not even trying to play on the hardest difficulty setting.

I know, I know. I suck at this game. Maybe so, but this is absurd. And to add insult to injury, the prologue is bad fanfic tier.

prologue is not that hard depending on difficulty; you can refer to my unit creation on the main site to see how you can vary your stats and growths (although only on Chris). you can look on YouTube for Lunatic prologue clears; those are usable on lower modes aswell, except easier I guess.

Edited by Gradivus.

If you're playing on Lunatic and were ballsy enough to pick a Mage or Archer MyUnit, in most prologue chapters the only way to win (other than getting lucky crits / enemy misses) is to abuse the heck out of the enemy AI. It tends to respond to certain moves in quite fascinating ways, and knowing this is absolutely essential if you want to live.

Maniac, on the other hand, is still perfectly possible using normal strategies.

Edited by Scarlet

It was on Maniac (it was the second hardest, whichever one that was) - and I initially chose a FemMage. After getting completely raped, I tried using a Pegasus Knight. (It only slightly altered the outcome)

I'll admit that I always have trouble with the transition from "army of demigods lolstomping -> handful of schoolboys who would lose a fight to a kitten". But that is always just a minor setback, the annoyance of having grown used to crushing everything without any thought. But I've never encountered anything like this in any other FE game I've ever played. (and I've beaten FE4, 7, 8, 9 and 11 - and I played some of 5, but I'm waiting on the new patch for that)

Honestly, anyone who says that there isn't a difference between the prologue to this game and the first few chapters to those didn't pay attention at all. It's just poor game balance is all. The game can be hard all it wants to, but the first few chapters should ease you into it.

Edited by GreatSaiyaman

Note: picking a MU with the defenses of paper is not a good idea. Especially for first timers.

I would go with Fighter, it's probably the best. This game isn't easy, strategy is far more important. One rounding units is fairly rare, especially in early game. Also, the past present and future bonuses actually affect your stats and growths, so you may want to look them up to patch weaknesses. The balance is unfair on purpose, that's the main point of harder difficulties, but it is no Super Thracia 776 difficulty, at least there's strategy.

It's just poor game balance is all. The game can be hard all it wants to, but the first few chapters should ease you into it.

You picked Maniac. The exact same stuff happens if you pick H4 or H5 on FE11 or Lunatic in FE13. If you're picking a difficulty setting that high then they aren't going to bother "easing you into it", that's what the lower difficulty settings are for. And FWIW, the Prologue does an excellent job of teaching you how to play on higher difficulties anyway, because it flat out presents you with scenarios that you're probably NOT going to be familiar with but are going to have to get used to fast in a simplistic, easy to reset to adjust envirioment, so it's still an effective teaching tool.

Yup, Maniac and Lunatic are brutal in this game, even if you've played it before. For people who are playing this particular game for the first time but have beaten other Fire Emblem games before, picking Hard is probably the best choice if you want a fun experience. That's what I picked on my first run, anyway, and I found it to be pretty much the perfect difficulty to be enjoyable throughout the entire game, always keeping you on your toes but never being unreasonably demanding. The jump from Hard to Maniac is enormous.

Edited by Scarlet