Clayfighter Remastered

Ike-Mike

Why hasn't anyone here talked about this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N5zw6YOe2k

I know squandered potential when I see it and it describes Clayfighter perfectly.

The whole series has a succinct and cutting brand of humour, which can already be seen in its witty and hilarious titles like "C2: Judgement Clay" and "Clayfighter 63 1/3," or even moreso in its amazing special attacks and one-liners like "The Cringle Crush!", "Cluck you!" or "I'm bad, I'm cool, I'm no one's fool!"
The last game also had guest spots for the two beloved game characters, Earthworm Jim and Boogerman. They are confirmed to be back in the new one.
Not only that, it featured an all-star cast of voice actors like Dan Castelanetta, Frank Welker and Michael Buffer. Even if Remastered ends up reusing voice clips it's still going to be a more prominent voice cast than even many games of today.
The Clayfighter series is also known for adapting all the popular fighters of its day into something more humorous and child-friendly, such as Claytalities or making fun of overly long combo strings. Remastered seems to keep that trend by adding Guilty Gear-like air dashes and double jumps.

The series has gone down in history as underwhelming or even outright terrible. However, after reading that each game in the series had major development problems in one way or another and even the original creators admitted that a lot of things weren't up to their original vision, I'm excited to see what a Clayfighter looks like where they aren't hindered by anything and can make a polished game up to their original vision.

After Killer Instinct is mechanically the de-facto silly fighting game now with its endlessly combo strings and also a great game overall, we need a silly fighting game that is just silly.

Even if not, sometimes I just want a game where "gameplay is manageable." Not a game that is absolutely the greatest, not a game that is absolutely the worst, just a game that is merely manageable.

If you want to know more about the Clayfighter series just look up longplays of them on Youtube or something, or even watch this video with JonTron and Egoraptor playing it.

Edited by Ike-Mike

What? I can't believe my eyes, best news of the day.

I used to love fighting games in the early 90s, I bought/rented the hell out of them. All games in the Clayfighter series deserve an A++ for originality in concept and design. The characters are just so lovely and well thought out, and outright funny. The only game that I would deem playable today though is Clayfighter 2, with its hidden roster of "dark" characters.

I remember how amazeballs it all was. The first game actually uses pre-rendered models one year before the first DKC was released, and one year after the big Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat hype. Even though it is kind of simlarly slow to Mortal Kombat if you play it now (not to mention, it has only three stages), back then it amazed the hell out of people (read: kids [hey! I was like 11 or something[). Ironically, the second game plays more like a Streetfighter clone, but it is really well executed.

The third game is really horrible, I can't play that one today. The character concepts were stunning, though, as with the first two games. Unfortunately, extremely cool characters like Lady Liberty didn't even see the light of day in the first release. =(. And they scrapped Claytalities in the Tournament edition I think. =( =(. Oh, well, I'm curious to see where this will go.