Easter Eggs in Video Games

HolyMBison

Easter Egg Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Feel About Easter Eggs in Video Games?

• I love them all!
    • I appreciate them under certain conditions only.
    • I hate Easter Eggs.

How do you feel about Easter Eggs in video games? For me personally, they are sort of a wild card. An Easter Egg that is successfully pulled off can make me enjoy a game significantly more, but a badly implemented one can ruin the entire experience for me. A good Easter Egg for me is:

1. Relevant/appropriate to the game/series/developer.
  2. Subtle.
  3. Possible to be missed.
  4. Not a meme.

The "relevant/appropriate" qualifier is the one that varies the most from game to game. A game about Batman, for example, should contain tons of references to Batman characters, gadgets, locations, and lore in the game. A game like Skyrim should not have any references to Batman at all. I also enjoy when games reference previous games in the series or other series developed by the same developers.

Some examples of Easter Eggs I like:

ep5603m.jpg

Faith's runner's bag (from Mirror's Edge) in Battlefield 3.

2N5UIfL.png

The hacking minigame of the very last hackable terminal in Deus Ex: Human Revolution is in the shape of the Deus Ex logo.

gta_5__niko_bellic_easter_egg_by_francis

Niko Bellic's LifeInvader page in Grand Theft Auto V. This game has a ton of Easter Eggs relating to previous games in the series and even GTA Online, most of which are pulled off well.

Easter Eggs I do not like:

800px-SR-easter_egg-Pac-Man.jpg

Pac Man in Skyrim for no reason.

2011-09-09_00003.jpg

Memes in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

collecting-pokemon-x-and-ys-easter-eggs-

More memes in Pokemon.

I usually love Easter eggs because they're fun, but occasionally, I do stumble across one I don't like, like that DBZ reference in Pokemon you showed there. :P That meme/joke has just gotten so old...

Some of my favorite Easter eggs are the Skyward Sword references in Zelda: Ocarina of TIme 3D. :D

Edited by Anacybele

I usually like them all. I disagree with the op that they should only reference the same game/series/developer, I mean if it's something small what's the big deal?

My favorite ones are all from Spyro. My childhood in a nutshell.

[spoiler=Crash Bandicoot frozen in the ice in The Eternal Night]

crash_bandicoot_in_the_eternal_night_by_

[spoiler=Names of one of the developers' son and daughter in Ripto's Rage(Bryan and Brenda)]

4587.png

Brenda is harder to see, but look on the gold parts of the doors...the one on the right.

Edited by Dragoncat

When it comes to Easter Eggs, it all comes down to liking them, or just simply paying them no mind, no actual dislike to them. As to sorting which one is what, well, it all comes down to case-by-case basis, to be honest.

Oh yeah, I forgot another one I really like. Listen to the Ballad of the Goddess from Zelda: Skyward Sword. Then play it backwards. If you're a long-time Zelda fan, you should recognize what you hear there. ;P

And yeah, that Famicom/Gamecube thing is pretty neat. :o

Edited by Anacybele

Oh yeah, I forgot another one I really like. Listen to the Ballad of the Goddess from Zelda: Skyward Sword. Then play it backwards. If you're a long-time Zelda fan, you should recognize what you hear there. ;P

Yep! It's Zelda's Lullaby xD

Nintendo is so witty/creative/whatever.

Oh yeah, if we can talk about references to non-video game media like that DBZ one in Pokemon, I liked how Zelda: The Minish Cap had fairytale Easter eggs amongst its characters. Some examples:

Rem and the Minish in his shoe store ~ The Elves and the Shoemaker

Romio and Julietta ~ Romeo and Juliet

Melari's seven apprentices ~ the seven dwarves in Snow White? (just a guess, though both of these groups of seven work in mines and are small people)

In addition, Dr. Left is a reference to another video game character named Dr. Wright. :P

Oh yeah, if we can talk about references to non-video game media like that DBZ one in Pokemon, I liked how Zelda: The Minish Cap had fairytale Easter eggs amongst its characters. Some examples:

Rem and the Minish in his shoe store ~ The Elves and the Shoemaker

Romio and Julietta ~ Romeo and Juliet

Melari's seven apprentices ~ the seven dwarves in Snow White? (just a guess, though both of these groups of seven work in mines and are small people)

In addition, Dr. Left is a reference to another video game character named Dr. Wright. :P

Fairytale inspired names don't really qualify as Easter Eggs in my opinion. I see them more as inspiration (or plagiarism).

my favourite one not necessarily a game itself but a console easter egg. No other explanation needed.

Console Easter Eggs are great. I still remember the nightmare fuel Gamecube alternate startup song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxS8-nLr75s

Yeah, even Phoenix Wright made a reference to him, although I didn't get it at the time (which was approximately two hours ago).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_vTOZQLxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1m6j38CDOc

my favourite one not necessarily a game itself but a console easter egg. No other explanation needed.

Whoa! Loki all late to the party here, but thats A Thing!

Hey i like how the famicom thing is in Paper Mario TTYD.

I like Easter Eggs that arent hideously hamfisted, even if they are memes. Like wandering around in Goat Simulator and i occasionally hear "Wow. Such goat." See thats ok.

Easter eggs are fun goodies every now and again but there is a time when it just gets annoying.

Final Fantasy IX had some really good Easter eggs while Borderlands 2 while I do like the game I feel had too much.

I like Easter Eggs that arent hideously hamfisted, even if they are memes. Like wandering around in Goat Simulator and i occasionally hear "Wow. Such goat." See thats ok.

Goat Simulator is a special case. It is the type of game that makes no attempts to take itself seriously. In a game like that, throwing in memes left and right is not only appropriate, but is also expected. In games that take themselves seriously, that kind of thing would take a lot out of the game for me.

Goat Simulator is a special case. It is the type of game that makes no attempts to take itself seriously. In a game like that, throwing in memes left and right is not only appropriate, but is also expected. In games that take themselves seriously, that kind of thing would take a lot out of the game for me.

Pretty sure if i were playing like Assassin's Creed and i heard someone say "10/10 would watch again" in Italian, id find it pretty fucking funny, brah-brah. My point is, i dont mind it. It wouldnt break immersion.

Pretty recent but interesting easter eggs in Majora's Mask 3DS.

<vid>

Wonder if they took a hint from Awakening's Hubba detector to put in the love detector thing lol.

That guy's voice is so Comic Book Guy grating, i almost didnt want to finish watching the video. Greaghh. (i didnt know about the Ten Billion Barrel and Love Tester hue)

Final Fantasy IX had some really good Easter eggs

Yeah, there is a particular one I'm fond of that's similar to the Famicom/Gamecube thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29okxwexxR8

This music happens to have a similar name to a piece of music from FFII:

They may not sound similar at first,

But if the FFIX one is sped up to x2(which you can do with youtube's HTML5 player)....

There's this really obscure one I just found, and I think I'm the first one to find it actually. If you look through the castle windows in Ocarina of Time you'll see pictures of Mario characters hung up on the walls. Again, really hard to find and I expect that not many people know of it.

^lolwut, tons of people know about that one. I myself have known about it since I was a kid. :P

There are other Mario-related Easter eggs in the Zelda series too. There's a Yoshi doll in Link's Awakening, for example, and a Mario portrait in one of the houses in A Link to the Past.

And another one in OoT: Talon and Ingo are based off of the Mario bros themselves.

Edited by Anacybele

• 2 years later...
Easter eggs, this name originates from the original idea of the easter egg hunt. In media, these are hidden jokes, references or secret features which the creators intentionally leave. And did you know where this term came into use? In an Atari game ‘Adventure’ which instigated further easter eggs in latter games.

During that time, Atari did not mention the game developers in the credits as they feared losing them to competitors. Warren Robinett, the developer of Adventure disagreed with this. So what he did was pretty natural. He left a secret message that players could discover only if they moved their avatar over a certain pixel during a part of the game. That message was ‘created by Warren Robinett’ which a player discovered later and reported to Atari.

You can read more about it here https://thebiem.com/easter-eggs-media/ 

If this violates the TOS of the site I am sorry I did not know and I will remove the post