FE7 Hack Project / Usurper [ Working Title ]

DarX

Hello everyone, long time lurker here starting on a new project. Usurper* plans to be a hack following Desmond* and his young band of thieves as he travels in exile.

As of yet I have 3 maps done and 1 in progress. With no eventing or anything else done yet.

I hope to be able to use some new sprites and get things worked out with new classes.

At this point in time I'm looking for people to discuss with and maybe learn from.

Chapter One - Chapter Three

http://imgur.com/a/IN7Dq

Edited by DarX

For the first three maps, they feel pretty large.

Usually, first few chapters would have nice and brief missions like rout or defeat boss with a few enemies on map. I suggest you to think those through a bit longer.

I would also recommend you to develop the story first, a band of younglings in exile isn't exactly unique. What exiled them? Why are they thieves, who is Desmond?

These sort of introductory can help us understand what you want to create.

For the first three maps, they feel pretty large.

Usually, first few chapters would have nice and brief missions like rout or defeat boss with a few enemies on map. I suggest you to think those through a bit longer.

I would also recommend you to develop the story first, a band of younglings in exile isn't exactly unique. What exiled them? Why are they thieves, who is Desmond?

These sort of introductory can help us understand what you want to create.

Well, I've been recently doing a fire emblem RP with a group and I'm used to very large maps, thus I used larger maps.

As for story....

I've got the main lord, Desmond (Name applicable to change) who's throne was taken from him, recently exiled by the new ruler he wanders the land with his group, salvaging money, supplies, food and whatever else they may find. One day Desmond thinks up a plan to rob his lost country by stealing from one of the main treasuries (chapter one). From there he and his group flee to find safe haven somewhere else and get the idea to amass an army to take back his land.

As far as characters, I only have the main lord.

hmm, ideas but no, I'm planning on a bit more of a millitant story arc involving him taking back his throne. How he does so is still vague, but accumilating a small force to take back his throne is what I'm going for.

Considering Desmond is the name of the king of Bern in FE7, a name change would help to avoid confusion. Wouldn't want new players thinking this was some sort of prequel.

Big maps are fine so long as they're well-implemented. The first two maps in your linked imgur album are large, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do, and terrain tiles are scattered seemingly at random. Room for improvement.

Liking the third map quite a bit, though, especially if there's urgency in saving the villages and chests (nearby brigands / thieves, good loot in those houses).

Is it possible that I may submit a character?

(I can provide a mug if needed, but it won't be that good.)

Sure thing, I don't know how well I'll be able to fit the character in but I can do my best

you don't need to accept character submissions if you don't want to xD

those maps are massive for early game chapters though. anyway looking forward to screen shots

• 2 weeks later...

Map Update

-Major Changes to Chapter one

http://i.imgur.com/sveTQco.png

-Minor Changes to Chapter two

http://i.imgur.com/X2xFVn9.png

-Minor Changes to Chapter Three

http://i.imgur.com/F06RM0q.png

Added Misc Chapter, May end up being two and shifting other maps further on.

http://i.imgur.com/VcEvAC2.png

Edited by DarX

The roads look too. . .linear. Otherwise, chapter 1 looks okay (warning: I don't know the intricacies of mapping). The misc map looks like it's better suited for chapter 2, the chapter 2 map can go to chapter 3, and that chapter 3 map can wait until chapter 8 or something - it's huge!

Check out the spriting subforum for some mapping tips!

chapter 3 map can wait until chapter 8 or something - it's huge!

That Map is supposed to be bigger, less of chapter and more of a prep chapter I'm thinking

Check out the spriting subforum for some mapping tips!

Been doing so, Thanks for the feed back ^^

It's 5 tiles wider and 4 tiles taller than Pale Flower of Darkness...

3 tiles taller than Unfulfilled Heart..

Aha.

It's the same height as Victory or Death, and is 2 tiles wider.

I'm pretty sure that you can insert that map.

Edited by Eliwan

Hmm, I guess that's true, I sorta just like how gaiden (I think it was) had the large maps, I never cared for the smaller maps. Either way, thanks for all the feedback ^^ its been some slow work due to actual work but I'm still cracking away at it.