Kai Shiden's Sprite Topic

Kai Shiden

Greetings curious viewers, those of you who have seen my previous work, will know I had a large abundance of sprites made in the past so I won't post all of it.

I'll post some old meaningful sprites to me, some of the last few I posted before I dropped out of the online FE community and most of the ones I have done in my time away from the community.

So here is a brief Spriting Timeline of mine:

[spoiler=Timeline]So in the beginning I was part of a forum called Fire Emblem World if my memory serves correctly. This is where I got my roots and started with shoddy splicing and recolouring:
FeBenface.png
First attempt at my own person OC character (my paint skills non existent)

FEAuron.png
I was also playing a lot of FFX during this period (that battle sprite is not mine)

Eventually I managed to get the hang of paint and succeeded in recolouring better:
FEBenv2.png

Then I started attempting more Customised sprites:
feMasterchief-2.gif

FEGBABlackKnight.png

FEHaman-1.png

FEEmmaFEUgame.png

Slowly I improved and re attempted older mug shots with my new and improved full custom abilities:

FEAuronmug2.png

BlackknightSwordteaser.png

As I started providing mugs for hacks, I started improving more and always attempted to limit myself to the colours and size restrictions of the hack box:

FELester-2.png

FeolderJoshua.png

FeHamanKarn2.png

FESiegWagner.png

After much construcitve crtique and advice on colours and proportions I started trying old attempts yet again:

FEBlackKnightMkIII.png

FeAuronv3.png

FeHamanKarn3.png

FEQuattro2.png

And that concludes the timeline of a young aspiring and developing spriter.

The following are the latest sprites I completed before leaving:

[spoiler=Prior to leaving Gap]The following were mugs for someone's hack, that I cant recall. All I know is that it abreviated into DotF.

fedotfvic.png

FedotfElton-2.png

fedotfwraith-1.png

I am also a fan of Dynasty Warriors and I believe this is Xing Cai's DW7 incarnation (minus the headress because I was afraid of Fire Emblem fur at the time)

FEXingCai.png

This was also around the time that FE:Awakening DLC was announced, so I had also attempted Roy and Ephraim:

FEAwakeningNewRoy.png

Roy ended up looking a lot older than intended, maybe one day I may go back to him.

FEAwakeningNewEphraim.png

However I did really enjoy how Ephraim turned out.

I also dabbled a little bit in battle spriting although I wasnt that great at it, I did have a lot of passion at the time for a Gundam game using FE:

GPO1SwordSample1.gif

...and thats where we left off last time.

Now for the things you havent seen:

[spoiler=The Missing Episode]So one of the reason I dropped off was because I really got into League of Legends and stopped paying attention to my other hobbies, however I did go through a phase of attempting sprites of League of Legends Characters:

FeGaren.png

This was Garen, before the Garen update, based on some really gritty cool fan art (http://st.elohell.net/public/chill/a9c9f0205b0be2601be51252b506f6bd.jpg) however his hair cut was different at the time so I based his hair on his old splash art.

FEJarvan-4.png

Also attempted Jarvan IV, but alas I couldn't realistically fit his Crown into the hack box. Also his chest plate in his original splash art was really wierd, so I had a pretty poor attempt at his chest plate.

FEXinZhao-1.png
I attempted Xin Zhao: I reallly liked how his hair turned out, but not much else, which is why i re did it later (refer to latest sprites)

feLux_zps0da24437.png

Lux, which I may come back to, because my cousin insists she looks like a man here and I had some difficulties that I believe I could fix now.

FE%20leona_zpslc9alqfr.png

Leona; I liked how she turned out, except for hair which I didnt notice until I had finished colouring.

After League of Legends, Dynasty Warriors 8 came out and I went into another Dynasty Warriors phase:

FEDW8LianShiDecor_zps1382d17b.png

Lian Shi; proof I'm not good with female proportions.

FEDW8JiaXu_zpsdf44cf62.png

Jia Xu; I attempted to do a hand, which I think is proof he has cancer because I'm pretty sure it ended up bigger than his face.
I also don't like how his nose and eyes turned out, but I really dig his hand and his turban.

Then the Smash 4 Hype train started getting real and I made a few Smash 4 inspired sprites, however only the Little Mac one was any good

FE%20Little%20Mac_zpshkf8qggp.png

Then Reaper of Souls came out and I played that again and was looking up armour and thought Leoric was a pretty good looking chap in his prime:

FE%20Leoric_zpsqyp9hugi.png

Although it turned out quite plain and I wasn't really sure how to make it more detailed without making my struggle with his shoulder plate angles any harder (which I still feel his far shoulder plate is bad).

I also went through an OC character creation phase, experimenting with ideas, however I was met with varying results.

Fe%20Keith_zpstcv3vv4j.png

His hair style was based of Chuck Keith's from Gundam 0083, however his face some how ended up being too big despite the ridiculously pointy chin and the back of his hair ended up to wide as well making his head look enormous.

FE%208%20Huck%20Masters_zps2jab5efc.png

I really enjoyed this one, his hair style is based off the main character from Gekiganger 3, that show within a show.

FE%20female%20Draven%20v1_zps7twnpkhk.pn

She is based off a Female Draven by a deviant artist called Exaxuxer (http://exaxuxer.deviantart.com/art/Draven-372776007) The head, was the main thing, however everything else was a poor after thought. I may go back and redo everything else.

FE%20Jason_zpsf7easarf.png

Not much to say about this guy except his hair is based off Abel's.
I'm not sure whether I prefer the left style of hair or the right. Basically this was an experiment between strand detailed hair and or more 'poofy' detailed hair.

And thats what everyone missed out on.

Now for the most recent work(s)

[spoiler=Latest Works]If you read the previous spoiler, you'll have noticed I said I touched up Xin Zhao. Well here he is

FE%20Xin%20Zhao%20V2_zps9mw5nitn.png

I like everything more in this except for maybe the nearest shoulder plate (feels so plain, but when I put things on, it doesnt feel right either), and despite some really minor touch ups on his face, I may touch up his face and head again.

FE%20Guan%20Yu_zps438gfxv6.png

Guan Yu (not from any specific game or series): this design is based off several other designs, namely his (Warring Kingodms Tryndamere, Dynasty Warriors 8 & 4, and Smite). I ran into several interesting challenges with this, such as managing colours (gold parts of his clothing use his skin tones, so getting it to not look like parts of his face too much was a problem for a bit, also when beginning each piece on their own it also looked off and didnt look any good until I had completed a part. The beard may look a bit seperate to the rest of the mug, which is because I completed every part of him (coloured and shaded, even the bits not visible under the beard) except for his face and beard because I wanted to make try and make the lighting more unified and not reliant on his beard. I spent a long time deciding on designs and shapes for his far shoulder pad and settled on one based on his Smite's one because I couldnt get the other shapes to fit in the hack box.

FE%20Varian_zpsydaocha0.png

King Varian Wrynn the current leader of the Human Alliance from World of Warcraft, main lesson learned here is that Warcraft shoulder pads are ridiculous. It was an interesting exercise in shading furs which I'm not paticularly good at.

FE%20leona_zpsldx4d85o.png

Update to my Leona, giving her longer hair as my original version only had shoulder length hair, despite Leona actually having quite a large volume of hair.

Edited by Kai Shiden

Thanks for the compliments, here is my latest creation:

FE%20Guan%20Yu_zpsfb7zgkd2.png

Guan Yu (not from any specific game or series): this design is based off several other designs, namely his (Warring Kingodms Tryndamere, Dynasty Warriors 8 & 4, and Smite). I ran into several interesting challenges with this, such as managing colours (gold parts of his clothing use his skin tones, so getting it to not look like parts of his face too much was a problem for a bit, also when beginning each piece on their own it also looked off and didnt look any good until I had completed a part. The beard may look a bit seperate to the rest of the mug, which is because I completed every part of him (coloured and shaded, even the bits not visible under the beard) except for his face and beard because I wanted to make try and make the lighting more unified and not reliant on his beard. I spent a long time deciding on designs and shapes for his far shoulder pad and settled on one based on his Smite's one because I couldnt get the other shapes to fit in the hack box.

Woot! I remember your older things. It's been a WHILE. Lol

Your general shading has definitely improved. :) you hair is very strand defined, but there is a lack of depth. The light source is too flat on the hair, but dynamic on the rest of your sprites. Easy fix: darken on the far side more and a little less on the near side.

Now Yu've Guan and done it.

...Seriously though, it's really cool. Battle sprite needs more guandao though!

Yeah I didn't make a battle sprite for him, I just recoloured a Paladin with a new colour palette, because thats the class I would give him, if I ever made a hack with him in it.

Woot! I remember your older things. It's been a WHILE. Lol

Your general shading has definitely improved. :) you hair is very strand defined, but there is a lack of depth. The light source is too flat on the hair, but dynamic on the rest of your sprites. Easy fix: darken on the far side more and a little less on the near side.

Is this better?

FE%20Guan%20Yu_zps438gfxv6.png

I darkened it a bit on the far side, and tried lightening it up a bit on the close side.

Heres my next sprite which is still in WIP, I just did some base colouring on all the parts, and will probably get back to working on it next week some time when I'm less busy. Also I warcraft shoulder pads are ridiculous.

FE%20Varian_zpsprs1tizz.png

For those of you unfamiliar with World of Warcraft, this is Varian Wrynn, current leader of the Human Alliance. (I've never played World of Warcraft, but some of their art looks pretty cool)

Just a small update:

FE%20Varian_zpsuyb2o7st.png

Main thing is trying things with the fur, I have 6 different variations on my work sheet for him at the moment, but I like it this way the most at the moment. Probably still going to touch it up more.

Also changed the the connectors keeping the fur in place a little bit too.

The battle sprite is just sword hector without his cape recoloured.

Edited by Kai Shiden

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...