Saifors' topic of sprites

saifors

Yo, props for BanchoLeomon. I dig it!

With the other sprites, I'm noticing that you tend to make lower jaws jut out. This makes people look like they either have a facial deformity, or they're plain snooty.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

nN7TTN9.png

New sprite after how well Bancho was received I decided to do another big one, also the new Digimon World -next 0rder- trailer's DNA evo scene reminded me how badass he is.

Edited by saifors

I don't care what anyone says, this is my #1 favorite sprite topic of all time.

I don't know if this is sarcasm, or you actually like the sprites I make.

koh from digimon dusk/dawn! love that game~

I also did Sayo, who can be seen on the previous page, and yes Dawn/Dusk are great, incredibly underrated, Hoping Cyber Sleuth lives up to it's legacy. :D

Omnimon is pretty cool! Though his shield seems a little warped. Like someone roughed it up with a hammer.

Now do Machinedramon

Yeah I kinda struggled with his shield the form of it, combined with the perspective made it really hard to get it even remotely ok-ish looking (I sprited, erased, and resprited it so many times that I just got this and said "this is fine...") Spriting at 10 PM while I woke up at 7 AM is not the best idea I've had.

Also I'd love to do Machinedramon, he's one of my favourites, However I don't think I'm mentally prepared. I can't just sprite all kinds of badass Digimon and forget about the one that got me through the Gaia Origin Challenge and got me the Legend Tamer Rank.

Your humans need work. But Non-humans you have some pretty good skills there Saifors. Nice job. :)

No new sprites this time, I'd kind of like some criticism on how best to fix Omnimon's shield.

• 2 months later...

Oh hey I updated Omnimon and Bancholeomon, Bancho Leomon has some disthering added in some places to give a better fur effect, Omnimon got his proportions fixed, because the previous one had a fat head and thin everything else, the opposite of the actual Omnimon.

n9wuJja.png

• 4 weeks later...

hey tell the truth i said "not very good" not "you suck at hair" (i went through the recording to make sure, don't make me sound worse than I am! O: )

I wanted you to show me something in stream so I could see if you'd improved or not :<

and you honestly have, though like errant said, you're much better at non-human stuff than humans (mostly in the facial region)

i don't really know what to tell you, though, which kinda sucks. tbh, the spriting and shading quality of the hair isn't awful, it's just really kinda chunky and it almost doesn't feel like hair zoomed in. It kinda feels like, a pine tree, or seaweed. I think if you went less eratic with it and smoothed it out more it'd look better. Of course this could maybe just be because of the hair style you went with for this guy x3

the hair on Bancholeomon looks pretty good. Try to emulate that more? It might look better 'cause it's bigger; you had more space to work with. Shrink the scale down and see if you can make it apply to your humans.

Edited by Snake Mom

hey tell the truth i said "not very good" not "you suck at hair" (i went through the recording to make sure, don't make me sound worse than I am! O: )

Sorry, I remembered it wrong, my bad

I wanted you to show me something in stream so I could see if you'd improved or not :<

Oh, I probably missed that as twitch froze on me right after that (a common occurrence it seems)

and you honestly have, though like errant said, you're much better at non-human stuff than humans (mostly in the facial region)

i don't really know what to tell you, though, which kinda sucks. tbh, the spriting and shading quality of the hair isn't awful, it's just really kinda chunky and it almost doesn't feel like hair zoomed in. It kinda feels like, a pine tree, or seaweed. I think if you went less eratic with it and smoothed it out more it'd look better. Of course this could maybe just be because of the hair style you went with for this guy x3

the hair on Bancholeomon looks pretty good. Try to emulate that more? It might look better 'cause it's bigger; you had more space to work with. Shrink the scale down and see if you can make it apply to your humans.

UHycQZ5.png

Does this look better, made it a bit more chunky and took out some of the stray lines.

Also tried to edit the face slightly so she looks more feminine.

Just making the hair messy doesn't make it good, it just goes every which way for no reason, and the parts that go over her shoulders look tacked on.

By no means my best work, still needs a lot of work, just tried to calm it down. Also made the face more feminine. You're trying way too hard to make it detailed and its working against you.

KK7yMQy.png

Edited by Monatoa Boy

Messy hair is fine, just a ton more work than straight, smooth hair. 2nd edit looks better in some aspects (shading darker/depth on OPV left behind the face) and worse in others (lost shading/depth on OPV right and the new clumps around the shoulders aren't as credible at the first. Hair shouldn't increase in volume the further down you go.).

I think you have a grasp on the idea and just need to shade/alias cleaner and finer lines to get it to look better on v1. Might provide an edit if I find time tonight.

Edit:

rIhj1qo.png -> md5NP.png / mdhTT.png

An alternate comparison for you that's heavy on shading. Certain clumps here you certainly could make the lightest color instead of putting stranding (and some you could probably take out entirely with darkest color, if you didn't want that much volume). (Also noticed you have 14 colors, you could use two to liven the cloak or change the trim color.)

Edited by Lenh

nN7TTN9.png

New sprite after how well Bancho was received I decided to do another big one, also the new Digimon World -next 0rder- trailer's DNA evo scene reminded me how badass he is.

omnimon???

Edit:

rIhj1qo.png -> md5NP.png / mdhTT.png

An alternate comparison for you that's heavy on shading. Certain clumps here you certainly could make the lightest color instead of putting stranding (and some you could probably take out entirely with darkest color, if you didn't want that much volume). (Also noticed you have 14 colors, you could use two to liven the cloak or change the trim color.)

lenh's edit here is good but i think it looks a little too hard. this but with less really dark shades would look nicer

• 3 months later...

So, I've got some new sprites

CgQfO9s.png

UkPPFt7.png

ZFIgjYD.png

(made some adjustments to this one because it didn't feel right)

JRqYqvF.png

I wanted to make this guy have a cool pose with him holding his hat downward, can someone with more "hands on" experience "point" me in the right direction.

5xp93pP.png

Before moving on to this guys laser guns I'd like some C+C on the rest of him.

And finally, if you're a Digimon fan you might've heard that Kouji Wada, the singer of almost every japanese Opening theme for Digimon theme among many others, passed away from cancer a few days ago (the news came out yesterday), so I made this as a tribute to one of his most iconic songs Butter-Fly

RvN2Yf0.png

• 4 months later...

Well, it took me a couple of months, but I finally finished the Metal Emperor.

ZY2M5Ft.png

Also if you've looked at my avatar recently you probably saw that I redid it to be a bit closer to reality.

vxe3Fqn.png

I also did this sort of AU version for FEGame (I'll clean it up later, probably)

1YZgSho.png

Also I tried to do something interesting with this fighters hair, not sure it worked out too well...

DyDfaEN.png

Edited by saifors

Your recreations are really good Saifors... have you ever tried replicating more human based designs? Like trying to replicate say Capcom works like Ryu in FE style?

That might be a way to improve some of the proportion and expression stuff you still struggle with.

That mech is pretty damn epic though. Nice work!