Weapon Variety: Speculation and Wishful Thinking

Aethin

I (and of course, others) have noticed since the original trailer that there are new weapon "types," corresponding to a sort of East vs. West duality that we now know is realized in Hoshido vs. Nohr:

剣 (tsurugi/ken, sword) vs. 刀 (katana)
槍 (yari, spear) vs. 薙刀 (naginata, glaive)
斧 (ono, axe) vs. 金棒 (kanabo, metal club)

We've also seen:

• magical tomes, used by the Nohrian mage party member
  • magical fans, used by Orochi and an enemy of hers
  • an odd winged knife, used by a heretofore unnamed green-haired assassin
  • the standard 弓 (yumi, bow) used by the now bow-wielding Thieves fought by Kazahana
  • glowy-glowy swords used by Marx, Ryouma, and Full-of-Arrows-man
  • an odd staff seen in Sakura's map icon and cover art that makes her appear different from "normal clerics" (that is, the two maids)
  • the dragonstone (竜石)
  • a unique sword in Kamui's possession that I've taken to calling the Nohr Godsword (夜刀神)

What other weapon varieties do you guys expect to see in the future of FEif? Do you think ballistae will ever return? Offensive staves? Either of the trinities of magic? Will my desire for symmetry of variety between weapon classes ever be satisfied, or will swords remain the most numerous forever?

I (and of course, others) have noticed since the original trailer that there are new weapon "types," corresponding to a sort of East vs. West duality that we now know is realized in Hoshido vs. Nohr:

剣 (tsurugi/ken, sword) vs. 刀 (katana)

槍 (yari, spear) vs. 薙刀 (naginata, glaive)

斧 (ono, axe) vs. 金棒 (kanabo, metal club)

We've also seen:

• magical tomes, used by the Nohrian mage party member
  • magical fans, used by Orochi and an enemy of hers
  • an odd winged knife, used by a heretofore unnamed green-haired assassin
  • the standard 弓 (yumi, bow) used by the now bow-wielding Thieves fought by Kazahana
  • glowy-glowy swords used by Marx, Ryouma, and Full-of-Arrows-man
  • an odd staff seen in Sakura's map icon and cover art that makes her appear different from "normal clerics" (that is, the two maids)
  • the dragonstone (竜石)
  • a unique sword in Kamui's possession that I've taken to calling the Nohr Godsword (夜刀神)

What other weapon varieties do you guys expect to see in the future of FEif? Do you think ballistae will ever return? Offensive staves? Either of the trinities of magic? Will my desire for symmetry of variety between weapon classes ever be satisfied, or will swords remain the most numerous forever?

With the inclusion of ninja, I think it'd be remiss not to have shuriken or some other kind of throwing knife.

I can see Buddhist things making an appearance as well, such as the shakujo staff carried by priests or Buddhist rosary beads. Since Hoshido is the "White Night" kingdom, PLEEEEASE let them have light magic!

The big question is how all these weapons are going to be categorized.

I mean Katanas and sword might be treated as the same weapon type,but could also be considered different from each other,or Hoshido units simply can't use swords,lances and axes(and instead can only use katanas,maces and naginatas),or they get some kind of malus for using nohr weapons(after all it is quite the difference if you are using a european sword or a katana),the opposite would obviously go for the nohr.
Either way I think it is pretty safe to say that the hoshido weapons will mirror the nohr weapons to some extent(so katanas are most likely effective against the same things as regular swords)

We've seen some kunais on the ninjas,so they could actually be an entirely new weapon type(or maybe the hoshido version of knives?)

I wonder if the bows will also have something like this(maybe crossbows vs bows?Or regular bows vs longbows?)

I really hope to see fans as a ordinary weapon, I really like them! The rest, I hope they are just replacements and there is no mechanical difference between spears and naginatas besides of stats

Edited by misterarrowkey

I really do think there will be knives despite thieves having bows, because the ninja is seen using what looks like a shuriken/kunai. Beyond that I'm positive light magic and the magic trinity will return as well because I really can't picture the clerics we've seen so far promoting into war clerics.

As far as the eastern weapons we've seen, I think they'll be the same as the usual weapons, just exclusively for Hoshido units.

Edit: It would be kinda cool to see -reaver weapons again

Edited by Owain Dark

I'm guessing that the magic fan is just the Hoshido equivalent to tomes, just as katanas, maces, and naginatas are the equivalent of swords, axes, and lances. The knife could be a throwing knife that accessible to sword users. It would be nice to give sword locked units a ranged attack (assuming FE10 wind edges aren't returning).

I really want a tome based on your ATK stat.I mean we already have bolt axe,levin sword and shockspear(they aint the strongest but still) so why not an offensive tome.

*Nohrian dark knights whacking enemies with enormous books from horseback*

11/10 would use

With the inclusion of ninja, I think it'd be remiss not to have shuriken or some other kind of throwing knife.

I can see Buddhist things making an appearance as well, such as the shakujo staff carried by priests or Buddhist rosary beads. Since Hoshido is the "White Night" kingdom, PLEEEEASE let them have light magic!

If we get a priest named Miroku that uses a shakujou and wind-magic prayer beads, I would be ecstatic.

I agree, light and dark magic would match Hoshido and Nohr perfectly. It'd work well with FE4's magic system, too (where light and dark are rare, but both beat fire/thunder/wind and are equal to each other).

Also, since Byakuya 白夜 (Hoshido) and An'ya 暗夜 (Nohr) can mean "summer night" and "winter night," respectively, I'd like to see some season- or solar-based magic theming for the S-rank weapons. Actually, we have seen Orochi use a spell with a rat-shaped effect, which could mean spells indeed corresponding to Chinese zodiac signs (although I will admit that Orochi is Hoshidan, and the Rat is a winter sign).

I wish for the inclusion of Light magic with the return of the magic triangle. Along with that It would be nice to see the reverse triangle weapons from the GBA games, and the return of knives from the Radiant games.

The new, offensive staves are a nice inclusion to the game & the knives would be used by the ninja characters/thieves.

Edited by Goonachu