[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

This hack is split into five arcs, and chapter 4 is the chapter right before the climax of the first one. As such, there wasn't as much I could think of to show off this time. This chapter is a seize mission(ignore the defeat boss since I forgot to change it in the screen shot).

RpGiGAt.pngn23Qypm.png7Kgaw29.png

JnnR6N3.pngMdLavs9.pngK6Qx6nP.png

Although the chapter is a cave one, there are no poison traps. I also switche to using LisandraBrave's(credits have been updated to inclue this) female mage over the lilina version, though I guess the palette issue still sorta remains.

In other hacking related new, I somehow broke the world map, so now you can't visit previously visited towns, which kinda doesn't bother me at all to be honest, but it does freeze the game, which is what was also planned to have happen if you try and do a skirmish or visit valni tower. I don't think it should cause any problems in the future, and the only time I can see it really being an issue is with what happens when you finish chapter 8, and even then worst comes to worst I just edit the world map events there and hope it fixes it or else I have to start all over again with the base rom. Finishing chapter 1 didn't cause any problems, so who knows what'll happen, though I don't know where in my backups this error occured. Ah well...

As a side note, chapter 5's events are also pretty much done, it's just a matter of rebalancing the chapter and doing the text so the first beta testing should begin next week. There likely won't be updates over the weekend.

Edited by Blademaster!

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my say, but I think it'd be worth your time to go back and get your version of the ROM without the world map issue than to start from base. I suppose since you already have everything that it wouldn't take a ton of time if things got too broken, but we'll see how it plays out.

This is just my say, but I think it'd be worth your time to go back and get your version of the ROM without the world map issue than to start from base. I suppose since you already have everything that it wouldn't take a ton of time if things got too broken, but we'll see how it plays out.

Looking for which version the error appeared in helped me find the source of the problem. Looks like I may not be following the instructions for Nintenlord's movement patch properly but I've fixed that issue for now. I'll look into what's causing it and how to fix it.

Chapter 5 screens. Chapter 5 is a survive mission. In it, you fight monsters. Monsters have had their stats redone to be more similar to their gaiden counterparts. The gargoyles in particular can be pretty deadly.

Beta testing will begin when I finish looking over all possible bugs and fixes I still have documented. When Beta testing begins, I'm going to take a little break and only work on palettes and supports so there will be less updates. Due to how early on the hack is, if the beta testing gets a lot of positive feed back, I'll release the beta publicly, but it'll be a beta, so expect bugs if it does get released.

eSa9Lj2.png6wkkwM0.pnghypPmod.png

DYz5gnF.pngWIHaSEP.png2X57Y6O.png

excellent excellent, i should try to make sure i don't get temp banned or something then

On the off chance you do get banned for whatever reason just message me on FEU.

BETA testing has begun. There will be no more updates for this week.

It's been a week, so here are some updates. Beta testing went really well and I got some really great feedback on what to fix. I wanted to have chapter 6 screens for this update, but I still have some things to work on in regards to shifting everything over to the new system the hack uses. So for some general updates:

Due to the experimental nature of the extended weapon patch, I've decided to stop using it since it is very buggy and would prevent any kind of early release. I may look into fixing it in the future, but for now it's been removed. This means that wind, fire, and thunder magic are all anima magic again and the FE10 triangle is removed. In exchange, the weapon level bonus triangle/stat boost from the DS games and Awakening has been added in thanks to Venno Bennu. There are also some other changes as well. For starters:

2tzR6ik.png

Con growth. This was made thanks to porting and fixing MisakaMikoto's FE7 con growth patch to FE8, in addition to adding in Venno's "crusader" growth boost patch and class based growth patch. There won't be any scrolls that boost con growth though, since I don't want to try playing around too much with the "crusader scroll" hack.

I've thought about adding in a movement growth, but the main issue for that is A. Whether I really want movement growth and B. How to alert the player the stat grew. Other FE5 features like movement stars and pursuit critical are possibly doable, but have some issues I'd need to figure out how to get around for the time being. I have no interest in adding fatigue to this hack. Despite this,

8IF2nST.png

FNQJHp3.png7Fn2EJy.png9cJPjVf.png

I was able to add in the leadership star bonus (i.e. + 3 hit/avoid for every star). There are also new bonuses with leadership that get added on when the total amount of stars pass a certain amount floor(stars/4) stars adds +5 crit/crit for each star, avoid, floor(stars/8) adds +1 atk/def, and floor(stars/16) adds +1 atk spd.

Although they aren't visible in the above since I'm still working on what to give them to, there are also custom class based hit, avoid, and crit bonuses. I got the idea when I saw CrazyColors made a similar hack, but I didn't use his to figure out how to make mine. Additionally, class based HP caps now actually work as well, so expect to see some of those. I haven't tested it yet, but I think I may have also fixed the can't go above 60 HP for the player issue while working on this, but I'm not sure and may not have done so. There's probably another routine I may still have to fix for that or some other issue I don't remember.

In other ASM news, the promotion fix was also finished so reclassing can work just fine. Reclassing/promoting is based on class cap instead of base stat due to issues that could arise with capping a stat in one class, and then not gaining the stat for another. This means once a stat is capped, it's capped forever.

The remaining ASM patches to look at for this hack right now include fixing magic weapons to actually use the correct magic type at range and the skill patch. I might see if I can fix the bugs with Hextators, though I'd still like to use Brendor's in the final version.

Chapter 6 screens will probably be ready for wednesday.

The remaining ASM patches to look at for this hack right now include fixing magic weapons to actually use the correct magic type at range

do you mean hextator's patch in the feditor folder?

holy shit con growth! so cool.

so much progress so fast wowzers.

good job, bud. You're really raising the bar!

Thanks! I'm probably going to start slowing down in work progress in the coming weeks though.

just what the best unit needed, more con :P

i kid i kid, this is awesome

He'll be balanced someday. Axe's weigh more and his con has been reduced so maybe it won't be that bad!

do you mean hextator's patch in the feditor folder?

No, I mean like what is conviently being mentioned here:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53680#entry3760364

Hex's melee magic fix is already in the game because of the weapon display hack.

i think that's the point.

Well, during my playthrough, he was dealing moderate damage (as all Mercs should from my experience), but unlike the other mercs I played, he couldn't take the punches he could deal. Even with RNG abusing, i find that he gets killed way too easily. Even to the point where axe users kill him in one or two hits. He couldn't dodge for shit. (Even with the new WTD. Think about that for a moment.) I had to spoon-feed him kills.

Con growth. This was made thanks to porting and fixing MisakaMikoto's FE7 con growth patch to FE8, in addition to adding in Venno's "crusader" growth boost patch and class based growth patch. There won't be any scrolls that boost con growth though, since I don't want to try playing around too much with the "crusader scroll" hack.

I'm not so sure this is a good idea.

While I'm sure a Con growth is an impressive technical feat, I'm not sure it's worth implementing. Con isn't a stat that you always want more of, so I don't think having it randomly increase is really such a great idea.

I've thought about adding in a movement growth, but the main issue for that is A. Whether I really want movement growth and B. How to alert the player the stat grew. Other FE5 features like movement stars and pursuit critical are possibly doable, but have some issues I'd need to figure out how to get around for the time being.

I'd say no to movement stars. One of the dumbest additions to FE5, IMO.

Well, during my playthrough, he was dealing moderate damage (as all Mercs should from my experience), but unlike the other mercs I played, he couldn't take the punches he could deal. Even with RNG abusing, i find that he gets killed way too easily. Even to the point where axe users kill him in one or two hits. He couldn't dodge for shit. (Even with the new WTD. Think about that for a moment.) I had to spoon-feed him kills.

Please report beta testing responses in a PM. As Kai said, it's a point that he's not that good compared to everyone else since he's kinda like Donnel.

Con isn't a stat that you always want more of

The only reason you wouldn't want more con is for aid/rescue right? I could probably just buff the aid bonus for all units then.

I'd say no to movement stars. One of the dumbest additions to FE5, IMO.

I don't plan on adding in movement stars, it's just that since I added in two FE5 features, I figured I'd try and premptively answer some questions. Though one of the things I mentioned would be good to figure out for enemy AI if it were possible to do.

Responses in bold, thank you for the feed back.

At last, some chapter 6 screens. I still need to do some touch ups here and there before it's done(such as palettes and text fixes, etc).

Progress is going to be much slower in the future from here on out for reference.

As far as plans for a first patch goes, I've decided to shoot for releasing one at FEE3. This patch will either go to the end of part 2 or part 3 depending on progress (so 14 chapters vs 18 chapters).

dX99yBE.pngs2xKI4k.pngYOuwEKA.png

2B1AZ8Y.png3KOGAK6.pngIDrIUBc.png

Right now I'm still working on making sure the sub goal for this chapter is doable as it's too hard for the time being.

Updated the credits page since I'm using some maps from Primefusion's map pack now.

It's always nice to see people use the stuff I've put out.

I kind of admire your drive. It seems like you're pumping out the chapters. I'm sorely lacking in the motivation department myself right now.

It's always nice to see people use the stuff I've put out.

I kind of admire your drive. It seems like you're pumping out the chapters. I'm sorely lacking in the motivation department myself right now.

It's less drive and more obsession? Right now I don't have many other things I'd rather do than hack so I have free time, but otherwise I think I'm spending too much time hacking. This is part of the reason why I stopped working on Sun God's Challenge, because I felt I was spending too much time working on it rather than on other personal hobbies of mine. I'm still having fun working on my hacks, but I'm just not good at time management when it comes to how I juggle my own personal activites.

The maps of yours I decided to use were just what I had in mind though so I'm glad they're out there. I've really tried to include every public assest I can in making this hack so that even if this ends up not being good, people might be able to look at the ideas and things put into it and go "Oh, this is neat, I can use this for my hack too!"