Blademaster!

FE8 Hack: The Sun God's Wrath (V3.4 release 12/12/2018)

tl;dr This is an FE8 hack. Version 3.4 released 12/12/2018

First release notes and DL below. READ THE README AND CREDITS!!!!!

Alright then, it's time.

Sun God's Wrath V3.4 is now available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wae8661y13uzbn/v3.4.zip?dl=0

It contains the updated versions of the prologue to chapter 13. Old save files will not work with this hack. Consider this brand new.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE README AND CREDITS!!!!!

To sum up some stuff from the readme and to express some initial concerns of mine:

Have fun and enjoy!

Recruitment guide:

Chapter 3:

Charles - speak with Jenna

Chapter 6:

Katherin - Open her jail cell

Nell - Open her jail cell

Jenna - Open her jail cell

Charles - Recruit in chapter 3, then open his jail cell

Chapter 7:

Oreades - Speak with Jenna, Nell, or Evan

Chapter 8:

Ricky - Visit the top village

Roa - Speak with Kirin or Artemis

Chapter 10:

Baryl - Speak with Astrea, Derek, or Nicole

Chapter 13:

Clint - Ally with Green army in chapter 10 and speak with Astrea

Eren - Ally with Bael in chapter 10 and speak with Astrea

The Sun God's Wrath(SGW) is the new version of the old sequel to a previous hack I made(Corrupt Theocracy (CT)), The Sun God's Challenge(SGC). This is a FE8 hack that features a variety of new features, most notably skills, reclassing, new classes, and of course new maps, mugs, characters, events, and music (though because of CT some older versions of characters still use mugs like the ones they used back then for continuity reasons). If by some odd chance you have an old .sav of SGC, this hack won't work with it due to the fact that this hack is pretty much remade.

This hack is being designed so that having played CT is in no way a requirement. I don't recommend playing CT and instead
recommend reading TheMoniker's awesome LP found here: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=50956 if you are
really curious about it and would like a potentially heightened experience while playing this hack. History is written by
the winners, and there were various winners in CT, so part of the story is learning what really happened in CT anyway since
there are conflicting accounts.

Story:

30 years ago, a war engulfed almost the entire known world and set the lands into disarray. Entire countries worth
of people were wiped out, and what survivors there were had to start from scratch and rebuild their lands anew. This war
came to be known as the world war, fought between The United Holy Army(TUHA), The Dragon Army of Pyron(TDAP), and The Allied forces(TAF).
TUHA and TDAP both fought for the same goal of obtaining the power of the sun god, Pyron, however each wanted it for
different reasons and were thus enemies of each other. TAF fought to preserve the state of the world and defeat the
two armies trying to control that which they shouldn't. In the end, TAF managed to emerge victorious and people thought there
would once again be peace only to find out they had been betrayed. The crux nation of TAF, now known as Amatera, had betrayed the hopes of all
who fought with them and stole the power of Pyron for themselves. Pyron had now revived in the world, using the king of Amatera,
Zephyr, as a willing host for his soul. This revelation resulted in the country of Pyronia(Holy in CT) joining together with Amatera to form
The Holy Republic(THR), a country which existed to serve Pyron. With his immense power, Pyron enacted his will and started to hurl
the world into chaos. He shook the earth itself, caused a plague that heavily ate away at the life force of all living things, and greatly reducing
the population of all living creatures.

There was little salvation those who wished to oppose Pyron could find. Due to the THR's large size, communication between the
remaining countries, Merv, Ryu, and Cyra, was very difficult, especially since Merv had no real central government and was more
a collection of various self ruling cities and mercenary guilds. The only real opposition THR was able to face as a result was the
country of Cyra. Lead by a legendary hero of the war against Pyron that occurred 430 years ago, Brammimond, this country was
protected by a magical sandstorm that barred intruders and had an army made up of some of the strongest magic uses in the world.
A genius of near unparalleled intellect, Brammimond provided one last piece
of salvation to the world, the only hope that kept people going: "Pyron is not the god he once was, if he could have ever been
called such a thing. He is weak from the old war, and can only use his full power about every 10 years. That is why the plague occurred
20 years ago, and the tomb of gods opened 10. This is also why that Merv warrior was able to stand against him in combat. Because
they had fought in a period of his weakness. I have done all I can for one last opportunity to strike against him. For his plans, he
likely seeks something I have. He will next use his powers to end the sand storms protecting us for good. When he comes for me, I shall
enact my last resort. This is the last bit of hope I can offer." And thus, the remaining forces, including rebel forces from within
THR itself, fought and survived for the day of Brammimond's last resort...

It is now the time that all have been waiting for. Ryu has been nearly decimated and reduced to one last strong hold. Cyra remains
strong, but has lost many good people. The Rebel forces leader, Eli, has been captured and his wife, Flo, executed, with what few trusted
allies he had left killed as well. With the fate of the world quickly mending to Pyron's will, the only faction of Merv to fight against him, Propater, began to make it's more.

Like CT, SGW features many protagonist characters with varying degrees of importance, but there will be less/more mixed up game over conditions
unlike in CT. The lead protagonist/Donovan of this hack is Astrea, a member of Propater, pictured below.

l3Fb4VD.png

The story will have you follow her and the people she meets as you do your part in trying to save the world. How Astrea manages to be a key
figure among the various figures of importance you will come to meet will be made more clear over time.

Screens:

b4FagHR.pngwSn9KVu.pngJjDwSYB.png

Tf6RMeC.pnglVrQXdN.pnggdNRtDS.png

8whrKEn.pngldov2pt.png1Y9ESZr.png

0zrJxsJ.pngesqxgcK.pngDveQtAr.png

MwUDv1X.pngQ331DTo.png6bFxKio.png

7hHIdST.pngTjBwTjP.pngNeLIeeY.png

Check list:

To do list:

Mugs: All Complete

Map sprites: All Complete

Items: All complete

Item icons: All complete

Classes: All complete

Characters: ?????/????? it's getting done

Maps: All done. Need to do map changes for 2 chapters. (22,23)

Music: All complete

Animations: All Complete

Events: 17/24

Text: 17/24 chapters (All items, names, descriptions done)

Supports: Need to be overhauled. May not have any text.

Credits (Please read)

Credits:

Tools:

Hextator for FEditor
Camtech075 and Temp for their updates to FEditor in making FEditor Render Edition
FE Map Creator(BwdYeti for tool, PI for maps)
Nintenlord for GBAGE and Event Assembler
All those involved with Nightmare
All those involved with Sappy
Venno bennu and jjl12357 for expanded FE8 event assembler raws
Zalhman's song editor
circleseverywhere and all those involved for his skill system
7743 for FE_Builder_GBA

Patches:

Weapon Rank Patch - jjl2357
Melee and Magic Fix - Hextator
FE8 Walking sound fix - Tequila

Documentation:

Weapon triangle table notes - Crazycolorz5 and Venno bennu
AI Notes - Crazycolorz5, Venno bennu, Gryz,
Pay To Recruit - Alfred Kamon
FE9 style supports - Venno bennu
Battle Sprites are half words - Brendor

Fixes:

EXP Formula issue fix - Venno bennu

Animations:

Trueblade1990
Gabriel Knight
MageKnight404
The Blind Archer
Eldritch Abomination
oracle_of_fire
Kitty of Time
Skitty of Time
Prime Fusion
eCut
Jubby
Watching Dog
ShadowOfChaos
Mikey_Seregon
Blazer
Whitewolf8
Bwdyeti
Moocavo
Riku
Deranger
Lawliet
BoneStorm
Temp
flyingace24
Dark Seraph
Cybaster
vilkalizer
LisandraBrave
Mercenary lord
NYZGamer
Feaw
Blue Druid
MrNight48
Klokinator
Pie1055
Eliwan
Spud
Zane Avernathy
Black Mage
Dr0zz
Alusq
DH_Ninja
ArcFalchion
CipherLee
Nuramon
Maiser6
Pushwall
Pi
Arch
DerTheVaporeon
Aruku Kenpuhu
TeamSALVAGED
Swain
Kenpuhu
Aruku
Iscaneus
Luerock
The Japanese Hacking Community
Pikmin1211
Mariode
Linkain Arakeist
Great-Aether
PrincessKilvas

ClassCards:

L95
FPzero

The Blind Archer

Mugs:

Blademaster
Dr. Sholes
Lenh
Lt.Smirks
Nayr (and Blackavar for one of his mugs)

NICKT
Singularity
ShinyPichu
TheErrantShepard
Toa

Map Sprites:

L95
Argo
Krad
The Blind Archer
NYZGamer3
Tordo45
dondon151
Alusq
trueblade1990
Dancer_A

Spells:

Aqua Edge(Blazer)
Arcthunder(Bwdyeti)
Artemis(Arch)
Aura(Mikey Seregon)
Bolganone(Mikey Seregon)
Exaccus(VincentASM)
Excalibur(Mikey Seregon)
Ground Dasher(Blazer)
Meteor(Blazer and Jubby)
Ragnarok(Arch)
Razor(Arch)
Shaver(Blazer and Jubby)
Starlight(Blazer and Jubby)
Swarm(Blazer and Jubby)
Thoron(Arch)
Thunder(Mikey Seregon)
Tornado(Arch)
Wind(Arch)

Maps:

Aurawolf
Blademaster
FEMapCreator

Primefusion

Weapon Icons:

LordGlenn

BETA testers:

HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Forceman/lonelyVoxel

Lord of Gabriel Knight

SilverHairedFreak25

Nintales

broly333

N30

Music:
Ztrop
Dethraxx
nyawenyye
Meilu
CivilYoshi
DerTheVaporeon
Sme

Editor:

Forceman/lonelyVoxel

Special Thanks:

Alfred Kamon for his testing of the class expansion patch and all his FE8 notes

Arch for his eventing tutorial
Blazer for his ultimate tutorial
Hextator for making FEditor

Klok for his graphics repository

jj12357 for all his awesome patches
Venno bennu for all his awesome patches

Siggy and TheMoniker for their LP's (especially TheMoniker for essentially transcripting all of CT which has been a great help)

Mekkah for his pitfalls video series

Edited by Blademaster!
V3.4 Release

Wow those credits. This is massive.

How long have you been working on this project (entire verse)?

Wow those credits. This is massive.

How long have you been working on this project (entire verse)?

Yes this hack is pretty massive thanks to all the animations, music, and spells added in. I've tried to include everything the community has made so far that I could in it.

I spent ~ three months on corrupt theocracy, ~nine months on sun god's challenge(not including ideas made while working on CT), and ~three months on Sun god's wrath so far.

...I remember this. I'll keep an eye on this, mostly because I played the original forever ago :B

Thank you! I hope this ends up being at least better than the old version.

holy shit dude, i actually played the original of this and corrupted theocracy

with that said, this looks far better, i think i wouldn't mind playing a completed version.

Sun God's Challenge was entertaining. This seems cool, can't wait to see progress!

holy shit dude, i actually played the original of this and corrupted theocracy

with that said, this looks far better, i think i wouldn't mind playing a completed version.

Thanks! I've taken note of your past criticism so that this hack fixes the problems you've mentioned before.

Sun God's Challenge was entertaining. This seems cool, can't wait to see progress!

Thanks! I'm hoping to finally have chapter screens up by the end of the month, it's just been kinda grating working on all the classes so I haven't been able to work as fast as I have in the past.

Speaking of classes, I got a few more done so I updated the checklist. Every time I post in this thread, if I have a small update for it I'll make the changes in the checklist and mention so in my posts.

Also I forgot Zalhman's song editor was used in this hack since I hadn't used it yet when I wrote the credits so that's been added in.

this is so cool looking! goddamn i can't handle all these hacks coming out of the woods! esp during the school grind xD

... wait, /the Sun God's Challenge/?!?!?!

Is this the real life? Hype. :D

Hey! I'm in the credits for something! :D:

V1.0 of my skill patch will include skills specifically requested by Alfred Kamon so I don't know how applicable it'll be for you, but there will definitely be at least a few skills you could use.

It's looks pretty cool keep it up

Edited by Brendor

this is so cool looking! goddamn i can't handle all these hacks coming out of the woods! esp during the school grind xD

Thanks! I feel like I can only say thanks so many times, but I hope that this can live up to everyone's expectations.

... wait, /the Sun God's Challenge/?!?!?!

Is this the real life? Hype. :D

Yes, this is real life and you aren't dreaming! Thanks for any continued support!

Hey! I'm in the credits for something! :D:

V1.0 of my skill patch will include skills specifically requested by Alfred Kamon so I don't know how applicable it'll be for you, but there will definitely be at least a few skills you could use.

It's looks pretty cool keep it up

Speaking of credits I realized somethings were missing and added them in, including your documentation on battle sprites being half words.

As long as the skill patch has what Hextator's did(Vanilia FE8's plus Adept, Vantage, and Astra which I think you've already said you've done) anything more is a boon regardless of whether it all gets used or not! I'm looking forward to how it turns out!

As far as updates/edits to the checklist go, I've finished the classes and am currently debugging them. Once this is done, I'll just have some little other fixes to make and then I can finally start events and texts. I'll be a bit busy this weekend so hopefully I will finally have some actual screen shots by next weekend.

As long as the skill patch has what Hextator's did(Vanilia FE8's plus Adept, Vantage, and Astra which I think you've already said you've done) anything more is a boon regardless of whether it all gets used or not! I'm looking forward to how it turns out!

I'm going to keep the Vanilla skills, but I'm changing the activation rates based on Alfred's specifications namely:

Sure Shot = (Skill + Luck)% chance

Pierce = Either (Mag)% or (Skill)% based on which version you use

Great Shield = (Def/2)%

Also, the battle skills(which would be the ones introduced in Hextator's patch but with animations) will be done after I do the stat buff skills like All Stats +2 and Wrath

I'm going to keep the Vanilla skills, but I'm changing the activation rates based on Alfred's specifications namely:

Sure Shot = (Skill + Luck)% chance

Pierce = Either (Mag)% or (Skill)% based on which version you use

Great Shield = (Def/2)%

Also, the battle skills(which would be the ones introduced in Hextator's patch but with animations) will be done after I do the stat buff skills like All Stats +2 and Wrath

That's perfect! Making the level cap 30 was what I originally did to get around the old level based calculations but I decided to keep using that system because of reclassing anyway.

I hope I can make the activation rates easy to edit for other folks

Mind providing a link to Sun God's challenge? It'll be a good hack to play through in anticipation for this! It looks awesome! Do you need help writing or beta testing? If so, PM me!

Mind providing a link to Sun God's challenge? It'll be a good hack to play through in anticipation for this! It looks awesome! Do you need help writing or beta testing? If so, PM me!

I'm sorry to say, but all links to SGC have been removed for reasons I don't want to go into. This hack is going to be too different from SGC to really be worth going back through SGC anyway as characters and chapters from SGC are gone and the story has been largely redone.

As far as writing help goes, I'd only want help with supports to speed things along, and as a requirement for wanting to help with those you'll have to be familiar with Corrupt Theocracy, though I'd still give an outline for what to write.

Beta testing I'm not really up to and I haven't fully decided how to go about it yet.

The only thing I'd kinda like help with at the moment is making battle palettes. I think I've gotten all the kinks with all the classes worked out so this is what I was going to start working on next before I can finally start tackling events, dialogue, and supports.

Edited by Blademaster!

considering my history with this hack series, i wouldn't mind being on the eventual beta tester list.

don't gotta think about it now tho, just throwin it out there

If you want background info on this hack, play Corrupt Theocracy.

That being said. . .good to see that this is back, since I happen to like Elliot.

considering my history with this hack series, i wouldn't mind being on the eventual beta tester list.

don't gotta think about it now tho, just throwin it out there

Yeah I have no problem with either of you two being beta testers, it's just that I haven't decided how I'd want to go about beta testing yet. I feel like I'd just ask you guys to to specific tasks for event testing incase I missed stuff when I test it myself.

If you want background info on this hack, play Corrupt Theocracy.

That being said. . .good to see that this is back, since I happen to like Elliot.

I think every playable character from part 2 of corrupt theocracy and a few others will be at least mentioned/referenced other than

Gan at the moment since I can't think of how to reference him in the story since his ending is just him sailing away to find new lands and I don't see how he'd tie back into the story from there.

I think ~30 of them are actually in the game, the rest are dead since characters like Mark or Bowen wouldn't live another 30 years for example or were killed in combat like Flo as mentioned in the OP.

With the magic of jjl2357's extended weapon rank patch, we have:

cWv7rKY.pngrjzTBOS.png

tIHQGJk.pngiqPGk6x.png

the FE10 magic triangle. Along with some other changes to the weapon triangle detailed below(spoiled for potential size):

SGW Triangle:

Sword:

-5 hit -3 atk vs lance

+15 hit +1 atk vs axe

Lance:

-10 hit -2 atk vs axe

+5 hit +3 atk vs sword

Axe:

-15 hit -1 atk vs sword

+10 hit +2 atk vs lance

Bow:

+20 hit +1 atk vs magic offense

+10 hit vs sword/axe/lance offense

+10 hit vs magic defense

no other boost on defense

light:

+5 hit +3 atk vs dark

-15 hit -1 atk vs anima

dark:

-5 hit -3 atk vs light

+15 hit -1 atk vs anima

wind:

-5 hit -3 atk vs fire

+15 hit +1 atk vs thunder

fire:

-10 hit -2 atk vs thunder

+5 hit +3 atk vs wind

thunder:

-15 hit -1 atk vs wind

+10 hit +2 atk vs fire

stones are not part of any weapon advantage/disadvantage.

Since jj's patch doesn't work with the weapon rank bonus patch the triangle has gone through some changes.

As far as other updates go, at this point the base ROM is pretty much complete with only very small fixes left to address, so all that's left are the events and text aka the meat of the hack. Edit: Oh and all the unit palettes too.

Edited by Blademaster!

And chapter construction has slowly begun.

Here are some early prologue screens. Haven't started the dialogue or adjusted stats yet. Classes, names, and weapons are all correct.

xP63dtx.pngcdBdYd5.png1zIhR0i.png

Fos9343.pngnd2LRkU.png

For cutscenes I'll occasionally make use of pre-existing FE8 maps, but all maps are otherwise new, except for two which are based on old non GBA maps.

There are also some maps that are still the same from SGC. There are 8/28 maps like this, the prologue being the same as last time.

All chapters follow a very similar formula. It either starts or ends with a cutscene taking place way from the main story, then Anna and Jake give a mission briefing and clear time condition for bonuses and penalities, the chapter happens, and finally it ends when you complete whatever the given mission is thus moving on to the next chapter.

The goal of the prologue is to defeat all the enemies. Like in SGC, it's just a test Astrea and co are forced to take given to them by Astrea's mother.

Excluding the small text fixes and the like I need to make, the prologue is now done. I'm going to do all the supports for the prologue characters before moving on to chapter 1.

0SaYxKT.pngEdLZuBA.pngjIcBLEt.png

NlbmS8W.pngAwo2SEP.pngNKUgkgb.png

zfwslCX.pngb01Ervs.pngwyLqRnD.png

All four of the legendary heroes that took part in the battle against Pyron use past FE character mugs to keep in line with that thing. So Jedah uses Morva, Alester Roland, Hiro Durban, and Brammimond Brammimond. Other than a few other characters from corrupt theocracy and NPC's, that's where the use of reused mugs ends. Pyron is Pyron just because just like in Sun God's Challenge.