[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

I'm trying to work on a more dynamic character guide than the class one which will take awhile to do, so I didn't release one at the moment for that reason as it would be time consuming.

For this first demo, all units are perfectly viable regardless so use who you want for now. The class growth guide is more valuable since units get the majority of their growths from their class.

A recruitment guide I can release over the weekend.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to work on a more dynamic character guide than the class one which will take awhile to do, so I didn't release one at the moment for that reason as it would be time consuming.

For this first demo, all units are perfectly viable regardless so use who you want for now. The class growth guide is more valuable since units get the majority of their growths from their class.

A recruitment guide I can release over the weekend.

sounds good and makes sense, i mean i beta tested this, but its so good to see this publicly released

maybe now people will take my semi harsh criticism to heart instead of plugging their ears

Where is said criticism?

not in this thread, but there were atleast afew things i was vocal about in PM's, mostly about unit viability and spoiler details that i can not discuss in public.

with that said, that's just me joking about the "hah english isn't his first language so i can make fun of him and not take his word on anything!" that i got afew years ago (and recently actually, but its really not a big deal, we can joke right?)

its just like with what requiem did. in the hack the characters have family and all know each other. i feel involved in the plot since the family of the characters i play in the beginning are clearly stronger and i wanna get them eventually.

its just like with what requiem did. in the hack the characters have family and all know each other. i feel involved in the plot since the family of the characters i play in the beginning are clearly stronger and i wanna get them eventually.

oh yes i agree, while i wouldn't want every hack to do this, it'd be nice to see some family characters be involved, even if they aren't part of the main cast

https://i.gyazo.com/33dc98ed828f60bb017cc8be258b9287.png

some of the mages in C3 cant wield their inventory

Yeah, I saw this too. Some other enemies in later chapters have this problem as well

also, found a bug:

pryFTUi.png

Should Roa promote into a dragoon, he will lose the ability to wield lances, despite having an A rank in them. Interestingly, however, he'll be able to use swords

I'm assuming this is a bug with the reclassing system

I know it's kinda typical of story telling but family and friendship are two things in the story I wanted to put importance on. The vast majority of the cast is related to someone some way or another, though it made me feel like there was too much family lol

The weapon lock glitches are indeed related to reclassing and are easily fixed. The tome ones are because I tried to implement tome type specific ones for this release and it didn't work out. Roa is just an accident though. They will be fixed and thanks for reporting them.

Proper battle tiles will also be looked at.

However Roa's HP is really low. It's probably never grown?

I know it's kinda typical of story telling but family and friendship are two things in the story I wanted to put importance on. The vast majority of the cast is related to someone some way or another, though it made me feel like there was too much family lol

The weapon lock glitches are indeed related to reclassing and are easily fixed. The tome ones are because I tried to implement tome type specific ones for this release and it didn't work out. Roa is just an accident though. They will be fixed and thanks for reporting them.

Proper battle tiles will also be looked at.

However Roa's HP is really low. It's probably never grown?

Yeah, I gave him the Blado scroll, which reduces his HP growth by -10

Hey how can I recruit the brigand named baryl in chapter 10 and can you also post up a list of character recruitment.

Have Derek talk to him

Edited by PixelmanFE

I'm still a bit worried about the hp growth caused by the scroll. Maybe that hack is busted. I'll have to double check since having no HP growth ever with just a -10 growth makes me a bit nervous.

As far as a recruitment guide goes, for characters you don't get automatically:

Chapter 3:

Charles - speak with Jenna

Chapter 6:

Re-recruit:

Nell/Katherin - Open their cell

Jenna/Charles(if recruited) open their cell

Chapter 7:

Oreades - speak with Evan, Nell, or Jenna

Chapter 8:

Ricky - Visit the village

Roa - speak with Artemis or Kirin

Chapter 10:

Baryl - speak with Nicole or Derek

Chapter 13:

Kat - Katherin must be alive.

Edited by Blademaster!

I'm still a bit worried about the hp growth caused by the scroll. Maybe that hack is busted. I'll have to double check since having no HP growth ever with just a -10 growth makes me a bit nervous.

As far as a recruitment guide goes, for characters you don't get automatically:

Chapter 3:

Charles - speak with Jenna

Chapter 6:

Re-recruit:

Nell/Katherin - Open their cell

Jenna/Charles(if recruited) open their cell

Chapter 7:

Oreades - speak with Evan, Nell, or Jenna

Chapter 8:

Ricky - Visit the village

Roa - speak with Artemis or Kirin

Chapter 10:

Baryl - speak with Nicole or Derek

Chapter 13:

Kat - Katherin must be alive.

I found it kinda weird too, so I ran a small test. Dunno if this is helpful, but here it is:

I did chapter 13 two times. One playthrough had Roa with the Baldo scroll, while the other had Roa without the Baldo scroll. Roa was given 3 levels in the chapter.

After leveling up Roa 3 times on Playthrough 1 (with Baldo scroll), he didn't gain a single point of HP. However, when leveling up Roa 3 times on Playthrough 2 (without Baldo scroll) he gained 1 HP point every level.

So yeah, the hack is either a.) busted or b.) the RNG is screwing me over

Also, another bug. (spoilered for plot reasons, I guess):

6SIgyTl.png The Maltet likes to freak out at times. Last playthrough, it turned into an axe icon.

IMPORTANT BUG UPDATE:

1. If you use a spell that has a custom animation, and it misses against an enemy in any of the following classes:

- Hero Male (Sword) FE7/8- Hero Male (Axe) FE7/8- Hero Male (Hand Axe) FE7/8- Hero Male (Disarmed) FE7/8- Hero Female (Sword) FE6- Hero Female (Hand Axe) FE6- Hero Female (Disarmed) FE6- Sniper Male FE7/8- Sniper Male (Disarmed) FE7/8- Sniper Female FE7/8- Sniper Female (Disarmed) FE7/8- Blade Lord (Bow) FE7- Assassin FE7/8- Assassin (Disarmed) FE7/8- Bonewalker (Bow) FE8- Bonewalker (Sword) FE8- Bonewalker (Lance) FE8

The game will lock.

2. What ever growth rate a scroll says it has a negative growth for will actually become a zero growth instead.

The next patch will have fixes for both issues, though I don't think I'm going to use negative growths for scrolls anymore and just nerf the growth bonuses they give to being +15% instead of +20%.

As far as what changes to expect in the next release:

1. It will add in the next four chapters, finishing part 3 of the game.

2. It will add in more gameplay hints due to all the various gameplay changes in the hack.

3. Some fast turn requirements will be boosted while all slow turn requirements will be boosted as well. The amount of gold lost for slow turn requirements will decrease.

4. All reported bugs (weapon level, background, and the above two) will be fixed.

5. The Cyclops in chapter 10 will be nerfed.

6. A lot of the dialogue will be cut/shortened.

7. Support conversations may be added in, I'm not sure yet.

8. It should still be compatible with the same .sav file.

9. Ulysses will now start with a hammer.

As I get more feedback, I'll be adding more things to the above.

Also there is a chance there may be a chapter 14 update tonight (6~8 hours from the time of this post).

Edited by Blademaster!

yeah i felt as if the dialogue was a little excessive too. sometimes i just skipped the scene because it bored me and i wanted to get into killing stuff already. i would recommend making some of the scenes actual playable chapters, like a gaiden maybe. this will the player would be engaged with the actual plot without wanting to skip it. there were battle sequences too in a lot of the scenes and i feel that you should capitalize on that.

Some scenes will be cut out in favor of being in a glossary outside of the game. I believe some scenes are backstory from Corrupt Theocracy or things that happened in between the two games. The script is still rough around the edges in general, but we do have a dedicated editor now.

Hopefully you won't remove the Eli/Lars/Larry/Lila scene in Chapter 9

That shit was awesome

Edited by PixelmanFE

Hopefully you won't remove the Eli/Lars/Larry/Lila scene in Chapter 9

That shit was awesome

It was one of the ones I had in mind to cut down a bit since it and the following scene are very long overall, but right now I'm still working on chapter 1 for editing. I recently discovered NICKT's open source gallery, so I found some new mugs there that I'm using to add things in/edit bad ones for the next patch and story, so work on chapter 14 will stall sadly hence there being no update yesterday. I'm glad you liked that scene though, it wasn't really one that I thought would stick out. My favorite scenes are the first time you meet Kuroth and the scene at the end of chapter 12 at the moment.

Right now the way I'm trying to figure out what to cut before showing it to the editor is just basing the length on word count. The prologue, excluding boss/death quotes/the Anna/Jake scene is ~1660 words(with the new editing, but my editor hasn't looked at it yet), which is very long compared to the GBA FE games which are ~900 words for FE6 and FE8 and ~700 for FE7 (excluding tutorials, boss, and death quotes).

I'm hoping the glossary removes some fat as Forceman said, but thinking of what to cut can be tough at times. For example, I want to cut the scene where Astrea speaks to her troop in the prologue since it's pretty much designed as a hint for the chapter so that Nia doesn't just ruin your day, but I feel like it's a pretty useful hint.

In other ramblings of mine, because of the ideas I had for some of the thing I wanted to add, I think this hack is going to end up being a bit longer than originally planned, but as a result I won't release the final version until probably a year from now. I don't want to release this at the same times Fates might be coming state side, but it all comes down to how fast I can work anyway so we'll see what happens.

Edited by Blademaster!

Right, I don't mean to sound rude, but I did not enjoy the quality of this hack and had several problems that I'd like to address.

The Sprites:

Right from the beginning, I noticed a problem with the sprites. The faces are quite clearly using colors and sprites from both Fe7 and Fe8 and the color clash is incredible. Some examples I can think of are Astrea, Nell, and Evan. Other sprites seem incredibly lazy and uninteresting. One of the sprites is literally Bartre with another face and orange hair. The characters with yellow hair are too bright and hurt the eyes. And the Pyron(?) sprite is so bland, it looks like something a child would lazily draw in a book.

Animation:

This is a bit of a personal gripe, but the deep black outline on the custom animation that plays at the beginning of the game is jarring and seems misplaced. That's really all I have to say about that.

The Difficulty:

2798fc5bd9ccba7501176cfe1382dabd.png

Why? What is the point of this kind of difficulty? I see no reason to put this in other than to emulate FE5s weird way of challenging the player, IE not giving them anything, or trying desperately to get a Thief's steal command more use. The latter I understand, but do not condone the way this is implemented. The reason this worked in FE5 is that shops never really had anything to buy in them that you couldn't steal from other enemy units. And taking from enemy units didn't require the need of a Thief. You could take from enemies you captured and keep your stock of items that way. In FE8, thieves can only steal items. Capture is not a function.

That's not even mentioning the prologue of this game, which is blatantly unfair in several aspects. The thing that I have beef with the most is 2 units on the enemy team have relatively large crit rates. For no reason. A myrmidon locked to a Wo Dao in the very beginning as your first enemy means that they could easily kill one of your units and it's not even the players fault. Then there is an enemy mage on the same chapter with base 22 crit. For no reason. His fire tome has 0 crit. He has 5 skill and 6 luck. Yet for some reason, he has 22 crit. I cannot get past this chapter because my units get crit twice and one of them dies, and then I am told that I am given a game over. That is fake difficulty. It's luck based. It has nothing to do with the players ability to strategize. Not to mention the fact that while the enemy group gets out fine when their HP goes to zero, you lose one unit and you're done. You start over.

Also, a bit of a tangent, but what is the point of the music changing every turn? That's simply just annoying.

Text:

Too much of it. I realize this happened in Corrupt Theocracy, but I don't like it in there either. Every actual FE game has been able to establish a plot without the need of a text dump, and having Anna and Jake narrate every chapter doesn't make this any better. Of course, my opinion of how well the Fire Emblem formula is for story telling does come into play a bit, but that doesn't really excuse the large amount of talking that this hack uses. I didn't like it in The Last Promise, and I didn't like it here.

All this among other things bothers me. Again, I didn't mean to sound rude.

Edited by Dandragon