[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

The Sprites:

Right from the beginning, I noticed a problem with the sprites. The faces are quite clearly using colors and sprites from both Fe7 and Fe8 and the color clash is incredible. Some examples I can think of are Astrea, Nell, and Evan. Other sprites seem incredibly lazy and uninteresting. One of the sprites is literally Bartre with another face and orange hair. The characters with yellow hair are too bright and hurt the eyes. And the Pyron(?) sprite is so bland, it looks like something a child would lazily draw in a book.

All the mugs should be using FE8 colors. I have poor vision so color brightness and darkness is something that doesn't bother me since I don't notice it. Evan is getting a new mug of the ones you listed, but the colors would still be the same.

Why? What is the point of this kind of difficulty?

So that the steal skill is used more often and to add to unit uniqueness over the course of the game. It really doesn't make the game any harder overall, especially since if you manage your weapons properly, you won't really ever have to buy anything.

That's not even mentioning the prologue of this game, which is blatantly unfair in several aspects. The thing that I have beef with the most is 2 units on the enemy team have relatively large crit rates. For no reason. A myrmidon locked to a Wo Dao in the very beginning as your first enemy means that they could easily kill one of your units and it's not even the players fault. Then there is an enemy mage on the same chapter with base 22 crit. For no reason. His fire tome has 0 crit. He has 5 skill and 6 luck. Yet for some reason, he has 22 crit. I cannot get past this chapter because my units get crit twice and one of them dies, and then I am told that I am given a game over. That is fake difficulty. It's luck based. It has nothing to do with the players ability to strategize. Not to mention the fact that while the enemy group gets out fine when their HP goes to zero, you lose one unit and you're done. You start over.

The prologue is perfectly fine in difficulty, even with the high crit enemies. You're given the hint before the battle that Relina can take on both Mikey and Nia at the same time, and that was done intentionally to introduce the new weapon triangle and show the advantage lances have over swords, hence even something like the Wo Dao becoming nothing more than a minor annoyance. Evan can be easily killed on the first turn without fear of dying from a counter attack.

Also, a bit of a tangent, but what is the point of the music changing every turn?

Foreshadowing.

Text:

Too much of it. I realize this happened in Corrupt Theocracy, but I don't like it in there either. Every actual FE game has been able to establish a plot without the need of a text dump, and having Anna and Jake narrate every chapter doesn't make this any better. Of course, my opinion of how well the Fire Emblem formula is for story telling does come into play a bit, but that doesn't really excuse the large amount of talking that this hack uses. I didn't like it in The Last Promise, and I didn't like it here.

This is being worked on.

Responses are in bold. Thank you for the feed back.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the prologue basically plays itself if you atleast play to the weapon triangle advantage and wo dao Evan, which leaves you with a warrior that can't counter attack 1 range and a guy on a forest who's the only "tough" part of the chapter, even then WTA and the Lightbrand/Wodao will take care of him.

the only way i could see you having trouble with the prologue is if you played defensive for absolutely no reason, this game not only goes smoother if you go on the offensive , but it rewards you for it with items, and takes away gold if you turtle, this works out much better to encourage players to play quickly unlike some other hacks that try to force it, but overall end up having no downsides.

stealing gems is by no means "hard" to do since you get at least 3 people that can do it, and two of them are great on average.

don't have enough room steal? drop something or trade it, or use the supplies command on your lord, its there for a reason.

i mean i'm on the beta testing team and have done this atleast a dozen times over, but i really only have two points of advice.

1. stop playing defensive in a hack that clearly promotes offensive play

2. use basic game mechanics like trading and WTA at all times, this game greatly rewards you for making use of everything you have.

sorry if i was out of line at all with my post, but i can't help but to try to assist someone who's having trouble with the basics. (or at least what are basic to me by this point due to beta testing)

1. stop playing defensive in a hack that clearly promotes offensive play

i played offensively and every time i resulted in getting a character killed

its only when i played defensively that i was able to get past the chapter

If you really, REALLY need help with cutting down words while getting the point across, I can give you a hand with that.

We do have a dedicated editor now so I wouldn't say we really REALLY need one, but if you'd still be open to helping out at times, that would be helpful as more feed back is always welcome. The issue I think me and probably my editor will run into is that what looks like a small amount of text in the script ends up being much longer when read in the slower format the game presents it in.

How do you recruit the Pirate guy who appears in the same map as the Lancer guy who is recruitable? I didn't notice him on the guide but I'm pretty sure I should be able to recruit him.

As Makalov said, he isn't recruitable. It was a left over mug I had lying around so I just threw it in in that chapter. One of the main things I wanted to do with this hack is go past the normal max mug and animation limits showing the full power of what GBA hacks are made of (even though FEXNA will probably make them obsolete at some point) so that's part of why there is so much content in the hack.

I know it's better to use the Wo Dao, but I usually just have Katherine use the iron sword and instead have Astrea chip sol with the light brand if more damage is needed.

holy shit breath of fire music???

Yes, I used music from BoF2, the megaman zero series, other GBA FE games, Golden Sun, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, and Earthbound. I think that's all the games where new music comes from, though none of the EB music has been used in the hack yet.

We do have a dedicated editor now so I wouldn't say we really REALLY need one, but if you'd still be open to helping out at times, that would be helpful as more feed back is always welcome. The issue I think me and probably my editor will run into is that what looks like a small amount of text in the script ends up being much longer when read in the slower format the game presents it in.

You can either edit for individual line length, or for overall length. If you guys need a hand, I can give my thoughts on both.

I sometimes ramble in DoF, though.

Yeah, it does. You said Evan and Nia have crit and kill your units, but he showed how to deal with both of them, and wasn't 3HKO'd by them so a crit wouldn't have given him a game over.

He got an Adept activation on Nia, but since Relina 2HKO's Nia you can kill her on turn 2 and have Katherin attack Beige instead.

Let's not argue over the prologue. While it isn't "incredibly" luck based, there is the whatever miniscule(I have to imagine it's less than 1%) chance that Nia activates Astra and gets 4 crits or 3 crits and lands all 5 hits that would let her kill Relina in one round. I will lower Nia's strength by 1 because of this, but to say the chapter is incredibly luck based when you have a much higher chance of getting an adept kill than the reverse is kinda silly.

I only watched the video. It looked solid but why did you use the ugly incomplete female merc map sprite for Sol/cloud/gold Ephraim?

It was the only open source one I figured was best for the job, and I believe FlyingAce also used it for his hack back in the day, hence the idea coming to mind. If you have any further input on which map sprite would be better, feel free to give a recomendation.

Wait a minute.

I'm on chapter 1, after getting through easily with prologue (it's really not that hard, chip with Light Brand for 2 damage with Astrea, then kill Evan with the Wo Dao. Aggro Nia with Slim Lance Relina, as she can't double her, then play as offensively as you can. I finished it in 3 turns in hard mode :D)

Mikey can't use Iron Axes. I gave him my cav's Iron Axe, because I actually thought I could make of Mikey someone useful (yeah, because his might is pretty low against soldiers, but I think that's because I didn't give him the Short Sword)

He has an E rank in axes, so that's quite weird. Is this a bug or anything?

EDIT : Same goes for Katherin.

EDIT 2 : Isn't this actually for their promotion/reclass? I don't really know though, so I'd like to know what it is about. :D

Edited by Nintales

Wait a minute.

I'm on chapter 1, after getting through easily with prologue (it's really not that hard, chip with Light Brand for 2 damage with Astrea, then kill Evan with the Wo Dao. Aggro Nia with Slim Lance Relina, as she can't double her, then play as offensively as you can. I finished it in 3 turns in hard mode :D)

Mikey can't use Iron Axes. I gave him my cav's Iron Axe, because I actually thought I could make of Mikey someone useful (yeah, because his might is pretty low against soldiers, but I think that's because I didn't give him the Short Sword)

He has an E rank in axes, so that's quite weird. Is this a bug or anything?

EDIT : Same goes for Katherin.

EDIT 2 : Isn't this actually for their promotion/reclass? I don't really know though, so I'd like to know what it is about. :D

As Baldrick was kind enough to answer (remember, I only have a small window in which I can respond to posts here) you can only use the weapons your class's description says you can use because of the reclassing system.

If you're doing hard mode, good luck since it isn't tested yet.

In progress news, I've managed to re-edit the prologue-chapter 6. The had a decent amount of text removed, however the prologue is still pretty long, as is chapter 6. Latter chapters have very little text so I'm sorry that the beginning of the game will end up having a larger than normal amount of text for the beginning of the game.

The early chapters will likely not go through any big major changes that would cause you to need to start over if you don't want to (other than missing out on one or two extra items) but chapter 13 will definitely be a bit different in regards to who joins you and such. Additionally, supports will likely change as well, but this shouldn't harm characters who've already joined you up to chapter 12 (since supports are based on chapters deployed together in this hack).

Edited by Blademaster!

I'm up to chapter 6. I'll make a whole feedback once I've finished the game.

But just one thing : Where are the chapters with secret shop? Just to know when I'll be able to use the member card.

EDIT : I've found one in chapter 6 at the monk spot. Bought a Light Sword and a Shaver, as I didn't have the money for everything else (didn't steal that many red gems =( ) and nothing else really seemed interesting anyways.

EDIT 2 : Is Chapter 7!Lynch our only solution to get the Neir Scroll? Because there's way too many units for me to reach him. And the animation of the bara is just buggy (Evan couldn't damage them in the fight, and only prolly did after it)

Edited by Nintales

There is a feedback form that comes with the patch if that will help.

Secret shops are generally located on spaces where units with member cards start.

I'm going to swap some things around with the neir scroll in the next release.

The animation was buggy? The muscleman class has really high def and res. We haven't encountered any kind of no damage bug before.

There is a feedback form that comes with the patch if that will help.

Secret shops are generally located on spaces where units with member cards start.

I'm going to swap some things around with the neir scroll in the next release.

The animation was buggy? The muscleman class has really high def and res. We haven't encountered any kind of no damage bug before.

The question is if there's another way to get Neir Scroll other than chapter 7, to know if I really have to tryhard rush or if I should just let Lynch live.

As for the muscle Man, it was a "no-damage animation" bug. Was it because I used Shaver?

EDIT : Chapter 7 is freaking FE13 lunatic+ level. Lots of AI manipulation, lots of Shaver Crit Haxx with Evan, my cavaliers tanking because half of my units can't take a crap without being reduced to dust, et cetera. I was even wondering if I should early promote Nereid for a tanky unit.

EDIT 2 : I'm thinking of taking as many time as I can in chapter 8 as I have no money and screw Dragon Shield, I need to start doing something I've let for a truckload of time : Support building. And it's not like I'm gonna be able to rush through this and the draco-zombie + while i want to get all the promotion items in 14 flipping turns.

Edited by Nintales

The question is if there's another way to get Neir Scroll other than chapter 7, to know if I really have to tryhard rush or if I should just let Lynch live.

Don't worry about it for this patch. I'm going to make it easier to get in the next one.

As for the muscle Man, it was a "no-damage animation" bug. Was it because I used Shaver?

Did this bug only occur on a second hit?

EDIT : Chapter 7 is freaking FE13 lunatic+ level. Lots of AI manipulation, lots of Shaver Crit Haxx with Evan, my cavaliers tanking because half of my units can't take a crap without being reduced to dust, et cetera. I was even wondering if I should early promote Nereid for a tanky unit.

You aren't still playing on hard mode right? It's one of the chapters I feel should be easier regardless.

EDIT 2 : I'm thinking of taking as many time as I can in chapter 8 as I have no money and screw Dragon Shield, I need to start doing something I've let for a truckload of time : Support building. And it's not like I'm gonna be able to rush through this and the draco-zombie + while i want to get all the promotion items in 14 flipping turns.

The draco-zombie is actually very easy to deal with thanks to a character you recruit in that chapter who can easily ORKO it. 14 turns felt like a lot for this chapter. You'll probably still end up beating it in time if you play your cards right..