Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Personally I don't see myself purchasing more than a few booster boxes because it's highly unlikely I'll actually play the game itself. There's a number of websites where you'll probably be able to buy individual cards that I won't find in the boosters so I don't want to overdo it and end up with so many dupes.

Or maybe we could set up a Serenes Forest trading community of some sort! It's very early for that but it could probably work out.

This would be pretty cool! And also skype fights could be a thing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also skype fights could be a thing.

That's not a bad idea! Although getting translation work done on every card might be hard work.

I'm not a particularly great coder but the rules of the game aren't overly complex, so maybe even an HTML5 web client to play the game on is a possibility if enough techie community members got together to get it done. I'd be happy to contribute if that were a thing.

I couldn't seem to find any from the event videos, but has there been any indication of "special" or "foil" cards? It looks like they're all quite plain, a part from some artwork being a bit more over the top than others. Or maybe there are special cards that they just haven't shown yet.

That could be fun! Although my plan for this game is:

1) Buy the two starter packs

2) Make little bits of paper to put tape on card sleeves so that people can see the skills in English.

3) Try some matches with the people I play card games with. Pray hard that they find the game interesting enough.

4) If step 3 is successful, get people to buy their own cards and split up a booster box. If step 3 is not successful, "cry" in disappointment.

So I'm not sure I'll actually end up with more than the two starters... we'll see!

Regarding the translated card library, I'd be up for it. The only thing I'm kind of scared of is how receptive people are about "approximative" translations like we are doing. None of us are professional translators.

For example, I'm extremely confident with Vaike's card translations. Olivia and Tharja's sounds very good. aubergine translation looks great.

But other cases I wouldn't be betting my salary on. Linde's activated ability I'm very confident of; her support ability maybe 75%. Maribelle's active and support abilities I'm basically certain of; however her green skill that gives her +20 attack during your turn when Lissa is on the table I'm less certain of the specifics. Chrom I have no clue what his skill are (though aubergine got his support when doing Lucina). Tiki's constant/green ability I'm 75% certain, her support ability I have honestly no clue.

So in short, I don't mind if my translations are put up on a Wiki as long as there's a disclaimer that it's not official :)

Thanks for Palla's FS ability! It's certainly a good implementation of the Triangle Attack! It's also pretty effective from a gameplay term: +50 attack is immense! Pegasus Knights are my favorite class in general, and this is strong incentive to go with the Red deck (even though I loved Awakening way more than Marth's games). Did you manage to translate their green skill too? At first glance I think it's +10 attack if Est and/or Catria are on the table?

No problems for the "good quality card folder". I'll be taking screencaps of the better shots from the Japanese video DifferentFight posted and adding them to the folder. I'll post the folder once done. It'll probably be a few days though: My vacation ends today so I won't have as much time to dedicate to this. Hopefully should be done by Sunday though!

Edit: I'm pretty sure they mentionned foil cards during the stream.

More edit: One thing I'm curious about is the Weapon Triangle... We've seen absolutely nothing regarding that yet. However, all units have a "weapon" icon, and we haven't seen have a single ability that uses the weapon type. Did we miss something in the rules regarding those..?

Edited by Ayra

YESZ MOAR HELP! Thanks, Sir Eggplant, those translations rock!

More edit: One thing I'm curious about is the Weapon Triangle... We've seen absolutely nothing regarding that yet. However, all units have a "weapon" icon, and we haven't seen have a single ability that uses the weapon type. Did we miss something in the rules regarding those..?

Perhaps it'll be in a future expansion pack? Or perhaps it needs to be finalized?

Or maybe we could set up a Serenes Forest trading community of some sort! It's very early for that but it could probably work out.

Dunno about actual trading, since I wasn't planning on buying the physical cards unless they were localized.

I'm not a particularly great coder but the rules of the game aren't overly complex, so maybe even an HTML5 web client to play the game on is a possibility if enough techie community members got together to get it done. I'd be happy to contribute if that were a thing.

Between checks for cards of the same name for crits/dodges, other abilities that influence various aspects of the game, among other things, you'd be stuck with something akin to Cray Online, at best (i.e. a basic platform that will simulate the physical cards and draw/flip/drop/shuffle deck/other related actions, but everything else is up to the player). Even THAT'S a pretty massive project!

Anyone or any group of translators interested in helping with translating the card skills? I have a scanner and I ordered the awakening deck and a booster box, so I can help with card images and the like. And if any volunteers here are good with wiki or html, I was thinking that it could be possible to have a dedicated wiki of sorts so that it's easier to find cards and their skills.

I've got a historical track record of being awful with translations (see: this thread). I'd be willing to pitch in a bit of HTML stuff, though, even if I've never worked with a wiki before~!

I couldn't seem to find any from the event videos, but has there been any indication of "special" or "foil" cards? It looks like they're all quite plain, a part from some artwork being a bit more over the top than others. Or maybe there are special cards that they just haven't shown yet.

Yep!

Jhqzn3j.jpg

Also, rarities can be seen on the bottom left, like how this Lucina has SR at the end of the bottom text.

fecipher_012_cs1w1_480x720.jpg

Anyone or any group of translators interested in helping with translating the card skills? I have a scanner and I ordered the awakening deck and a booster box, so I can help with card images and the like. And if any volunteers here are good with wiki or html, I was thinking that it could be possible to have a dedicated wiki of sorts so that it's easier to find cards and their skills.

I've been following the Cardfight!! Vanguard wiki for years, so I have a pretty good understanding of how wikis work, so I could give it a try? Just need to find out how to set-up layouts for card pages and such.

Also, on a slightly different topic;

back when Vanguard first started off, we had to wait 1 year until it got localized, so what people did was print out the skills of cards and just stick them in the sleeves together with the cards, or stick the little papers onto the over-sleeves, so they always had the skills ready on the cards. Could always do that for Cipher as well when it's out?

I personally already got 2 Awakening trial decks, 1 of the other one and 2 boxes of the set, but I'm honestly tempted to bump it up to 4...

Edited by DifferentFight

back when Vanguard first started off, we had to wait 1 year until it got localized, so what people did was print out the skills of cards and just stick them in the sleeves together with the cards, or stick the little papers onto the over-sleeves, so they always had the skills ready on the cards. Could always do that for Cipher as well when it's out?

That's what I do for my JP Weiss Schwarz cards too. Makes everything look less attractive, but definitely beats having to memorise the skills or having the other player claim that you're lying about the skill.

As for the layouts for the card pages, maybe we can ask someone who frequently helps out on the FE wiki? I noticed that they used HTML-coded tables for character stats. With a bit of tweaking, it could be an info table for cards.

I don't know anything about wikis or HTML or Japanese, but I'd be happy to help scan and provide images of cards, since I'll be getting a bunch myself for collection purposes.

That's what I do for my JP Weiss Schwarz cards too. Makes everything look less attractive, but definitely beats having to memorise the skills or having the other player claim that you're lying about the skill.

As for the layouts for the card pages, maybe we can ask someone who frequently helps out on the FE wiki? I noticed that they used HTML-coded tables for character stats. With a bit of tweaking, it could be an info table for cards.

I was thinking something along the lines of this?

Also, I may have found full spoilers of the trial decks contents, but I'm not too sure.

EszlWV9.jpg

fecipher_007_cs1w1_720x480.jpg

fecipher_009_cs1w1_720x480.jpg

fecipher_010_cs1w1_720x480.jpg

fecipher_011_cs1w1_720x480.jpg

I also compiled a little imgur gallery for cards that (I think) still need translating.

Also, if you look at various cards, you can see text on the bottom left; that's the set that the card is in and its set number, along with its rarity.

e.g. all cards that start with B01 are from the first Booster Set.

EDIT: Looking at the cards closer, some seem to be from B01, so I guess this isn't just the trial deck...

Edited by DifferentFight

A wiki sounds like a great idea actually. There's a number of installable wiki bases that would require very little HTML to work with. I'm almost tempted to register a domain with my host and get it started myself...

I didn't notice the rarity things at all! That's pretty great. I'm assuming the SR cards are foil. It's a bit silly but I was hoping for it since there's nothing as exciting as opening a booster and finding that one super rare card you wanted.

The rule set seems pretty set in stone, but maybe they'll introduce cards that aren't characters? Things like spells, or weapons? On the other hand I'm kind of happy there's nothing of that to start with, because usually those type of cards tend to be less liked since they're not as "cool" (I'm looking at you Pokemon trainer cards, no one wants to pull a rare trainer card out of a pack).

A wiki sounds like a great idea actually. There's a number of installable wiki bases that would require very little HTML to work with. I'm almost tempted to register a domain with my host and get it started myself...

I didn't notice the rarity things at all! That's pretty great. I'm assuming the SR cards are foil. It's a bit silly but I was hoping for it since there's nothing as exciting as opening a booster and finding that one super rare card you wanted.

The rule set seems pretty set in stone, but maybe they'll introduce cards that aren't characters? Things like spells, or weapons? On the other hand I'm kind of happy there's nothing of that to start with, because usually those type of cards tend to be less liked since they're not as "cool" (I'm looking at you Pokemon trainer cards, no one wants to pull a rare trainer card out of a pack).

I'm pretty sure they announced during the stream that the game will only consist of units, which I'm pretty happy about.

If we can get a wiki going, that'd be the best! I'm willing to contribute as much as possible, although I don't exactly know how to make templates and stuff..

I found the template that the Vanguard wiki uses for their cards here, but it might be best to get permission from the admins there if we can use it for the Cipher wiki, especially if they were the ones who came up with the coding.

Oh damn, nice!

Yeah, it would be a good idea to ask, although I've seen the same template in other wikis like Buddyfight as well.

If there's enough interest and translations are completed, Cockatrice or some similar client such as OCTGN can probably support this game.

EDIT: Also, to clarify, the cards aren't purchasable yet, right?

Okay preorders are up. Hmm.

Edited by Irysa

If there's enough interest and translations are completed, Cockatrice or some similar client such as OCTGN can probably support this game.

EDIT: Also, to clarify, the cards aren't purchasable yet, right?

Okay preorders are up. Hmm.

Everything's up on AmiAmi to pre-order, they release on 25th June.

I hadn't noticed the rarity thing either: I was wondering about that!

That Cardfight template would mostly work, I think. It looks nice at least!

Regarding card images for your imgur list, there's a few really good quality shots in the Japanese video you posted. There's a super-clear Kellam at the least that I recall. There's a few other that might be good enough to translate (Upgraded Abel, possibly upgraded Lissa). Palla's green ability hasn't been translated yet so it maybe should be added (It's a +10 attack related to Est and Catria, but unsure if it triggers twice if both are there or just once. Haven't had the chance to fully translate it to know if its during your turn only or all the time either).

While going through your imgur list, I've noticed that none of the class-changed characters have support abilities. Probably intentional on the design side so that players actually use the base characters and not just decks full of class-changed one.

Yeah, that would be extremely over powered for a 3/5 cost card.

I might be wrong, but I think that a big 3 little 2 card (Like Gaius) means that if you class/change your unit you need 2 bonds. If you play it directly, you need 3 bonds. Not 3 for upgrade, 3+2 to play directly.

I am all in for helping out with translation work for a wiki. I actually don't have much experience building wikis or using HTML in general, so I'd have to leave that sort of thing to those better suited.

Regarding the translated card library, I'd be up for it. The only thing I'm kind of scared of is how receptive people are about "approximative" translations like we are doing. None of us are professional translators.

For example, I'm extremely confident with Vaike's card translations. Olivia and Tharja's sounds very good. aubergine translation looks great.

But other cases I wouldn't be betting my salary on. Linde's activated ability I'm very confident of; her support ability maybe 75%. Maribelle's active and support abilities I'm basically certain of; however her green skill that gives her +20 attack during your turn when Lissa is on the table I'm less certain of the specifics. Chrom I have no clue what his skill are (though aubergine got his support when doing Lucina). Tiki's constant/green ability I'm 75% certain, her support ability I have honestly no clue.

So in short, I don't mind if my translations are put up on a Wiki as long as there's a disclaimer that it's not official :)

Thanks for Palla's FS ability! It's certainly a good implementation of the Triangle Attack! It's also pretty effective from a gameplay term: +50 attack is immense! Pegasus Knights are my favorite class in general, and this is strong incentive to go with the Red deck (even though I loved Awakening way more than Marth's games). Did you manage to translate their green skill too? At first glance I think it's +10 attack if Est and/or Catria are on the table?

No problems for the "good quality card folder". I'll be taking screencaps of the better shots from the Japanese video DifferentFight posted and adding them to the folder. I'll post the folder once done. It'll probably be a few days though: My vacation ends today so I won't have as much time to dedicate to this. Hopefully should be done by Sunday though!

My feelings on tentative translation work is that as long as it's on a wiki (where things are constantly being updated with new info) and people are aware that this is tentative work, then it shouldn't be received negatively. I feel like that's what wiki's are created for, they are almost always catalogs of unofficial information that goes ahead of and later includes official information and translation work.

The other great thing about a wiki is that it is based in a community where people can proofread and double-check each other's work. We all come from a background of being fans of a certain series and each lend an unique viewpoint. For instance, I wasn't 100% confident in my translation of Gaius' assassinate skill, but once posted it was able to be scrutinized by you, Arya and a better understanding was reached. Since we are all pretty passionate about this, my thoughts are that eventually others will be to, and so a resource for those interested in Cipher will inevitably be necessary.

Thanks Kirie and sofutoppai, it's great to see so many people willing to help scan those that they ordered, that should be a great help! I plan on scanning all of mine from the two starter kits and the one booster box I bought as well. Hopefully with everyone's help we can manage to put together a whole set of scanned cards eventually.

Edited by aubergine

I am all in for helping out with translation work for a wiki. I actually don't have much experience building wikis or using HTML in general, so I'd have to leave that sort of thing to those better suited.

My feelings on tentative translation work is that as long as it's on a wiki (where things are constantly being updated with new info) and people are aware that this is tentative work, then it shouldn't be received negatively. I feel like that's what wiki's are created for, they are almost always catalogs of unofficial information that goes ahead of and later includes official information and translation work.

The other great thing about a wiki is that it is based in a community where people can proofread and double-check each other's work. We all come from a background of being fans of a certain series and each lend an unique viewpoint. For instance, I wasn't 100% confident in my translation of Gaius' assassinate skill, but once posted it was able to be scrutinized by you, Arya and a better understanding was reached. Since we are all pretty passionate about this, my thoughts are that eventually others will be to, and so a resource for those interested in Cipher will inevitably be necessary.

Thanks Kirie and sofutoppai, it's great to see so many people willing to help scan those that they ordered, that should be a great help! I plan on scanning all of mine from the two starter kits and the one booster box I bought as well. Hopefully with everyone's help we can manage to put together a whole set of scanned cards eventually.

I should be able to provide scans as well if I can get my old scanner carried over, but if not... HD pictures here I come!

Also, I updated the gallery with more pictures of new cards!

Another question, have they specified how many duplicates of a card can be in a deck anywhere? I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything outlining that.

Edited by Irysa

Well, at first glance with the better quality screenshot, I was wrong about Kellam's ability being the same as Vaike but flipped (Vaike gets +20 attack when attacking, and +20 support when used as support during an attack). It seems that Kellam's ability is that he gets +20 unless he's attacked by a mage (book weapon type), so that makes it the very first instance of the weapon type that we see. His defensive ability looks to be Vaike's but flipped (+20 when used as a defensive support).

Whee, topic explosion~! This is gonna be cool~!

There's a few other that might be good enough to translate (Upgraded Abel, possibly upgraded Lissa).

Abel's in the Dengeki news article. Looks like something about his cost as a first ability, and what appears to be a massive attack boost involving Cain as a second ability.

Others in that article are Tiki and Caeda, though the latter's a bit hard to read. Caeda's got a once per turn ability. . .interesting.

EDIT: Base Ricken hits Caeda for 60, if I've read everything correctly. I'm pretty sure Merric's on Archanea's side, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar ability.

Edited by eclipse

Whee, topic explosion~! This is gonna be cool~!

Abel's in the Dengeki news article. Looks like something about his cost as a first ability, and what appears to be a massive attack boost involving Cain as a second ability.

Others in that article are Tiki and Caeda, though the latter's a bit hard to read. Caeda's got a once per turn ability. . .interesting.

EDIT: Base Ricken hits Caeda for 60, if I've read everything correctly. I'm pretty sure Merric's on Archanea's side, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had a similar ability.

Tiki's actually in the gallery. Even with that though, there's a few kanjis I can't read in her Support ability and I have no clue what that ability actually is :(

Pretty sure you are correct about Ricken... Unfortunately! I love Pegasus Knights (and the Cherche card looks absolutely epic), so odds are I'll be using quite a few flyers in my deck. Ricken is one of the very few FE characters I really don't like, and now he stands in the way of my glorious Pegasus Knight army. *shakes fist angrily*

Edit: By the way, I just watched a 20 minutes "Cardfight Vanguard" instruction video. I see what you mean now when you guys mentioned that Fire Emblem is really similar to that! Fire Emblem sounds pretty much like Cardfight light (which is probably a good thing considering how much we are struggling in translating it :))

Edited by Ayra

Tiki's actually in the gallery. Even with that though, there's a few kanjis I can't read in her Support ability and I have no clue what that ability actually is :(

Pretty sure you are correct about Ricken... Unfortunately! I love Pegasus Knights (and the Cherche card looks absolutely epic), so odds are I'll be using quite a few flyers in my deck. Ricken is one of the very few FE characters I really don't like, and now he stands in the way of my glorious Pegasus Knight army. *shakes fist angrily*

Edit: By the way, I just watched a 20 minutes "Cardfight Vanguard" instruction video. I see what you mean now when you guys mentioned that Fire Emblem is really similar to that! Fire Emblem sounds pretty much like Cardfight light (which is probably a good thing considering how much we are struggling in translating it :))

Welcome to our world - I'm bringing over a lot of Vanguard fans to this game :D

I REALLY want that Great Lord Lucina translated... she's my favourite of the so far translated ones by far!