Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

13 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/55508-playing-cipher-online-using-lackeyccg/

Using Lackey is one of the few ways to play online, can be complicated to use to begin with, but once you get used to it, it's simple.

i really recommend FECipherVit. see: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/64733-feciphervit-for-online-cipher-game

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, geozeldadude said:

Oh, I like this. It looks cool. I would really like to practice. Does anyone know if there is a program that just lets me practice? Haha. Since I'm very new.

It would also be cool if it could find me random players, since I dont know many yet...but thats okay. It's a cool program. 

I tried using the other one too, its a bit less straight forward haha, I dont know what I'm doing with that one.

Edited by Dylan Corona

9 hours ago, Dylan Corona said:

Oh, I like this. It looks cool. I would really like to practice. Does anyone know if there is a program that just lets me practice? Haha. Since I'm very new.

It would also be cool if it could find me random players, since I dont know many yet...but thats okay. It's a cool program. 

I tried using the other one too, its a bit less straight forward haha, I dont know what I'm doing with that one.

In Lackey you can play against yourself using the test dummy. Not sure about Vit since I've never used it.

I'd recommend joining the Cipher discord chat: https://discord.gg/9QDCQm4 You can find people to play in general and they can walk you through how to use Lackey and how to play the game if you need it.

Question! :D

Q1:

The effect of Courageous Crimson Wings, Hinoka:

"Weatherproof" CONT As long as you have at least one face-up card in your Orb Area, all Flying units cannot be destroyed by the effects of skills or by the result of a skills cost.

If Flying Assassin, Beruka is played and tries to destroy itself to destroy an opponent's cost 1 unit, will the effect still go through without it destroying itself?

"Commander of the Kamikaze Unit” ACT [ Flip 1 Bond and Destroy this unit] Select an enemy cost 1 unit besides their Main Character and destroy it.

Thank you~

23 hours ago, Foodies said:

In Lackey you can play against yourself using the test dummy. Not sure about Vit since I've never used it.

I'd recommend joining the Cipher discord chat: https://discord.gg/9QDCQm4 You can find people to play in general and they can walk you through how to use Lackey and how to play the game if you need it.

I just saw that now, but I'm having problems figuring out the...controls (?) I guess, like with Vit it makes you pick a Lord or whatever. I can't figure out how to do that on Lackey lol.

Alright, awesome. I will join later today. Thanks so much for the help! 

On 2/20/2017 at 7:50 AM, Dylan Corona said:

I just saw that now, but I'm having problems figuring out the...controls (?) I guess, like with Vit it makes you pick a Lord or whatever. I can't figure out how to do that on Lackey lol.

Alright, awesome. I will join later today. Thanks so much for the help! 

Lackey is a platform for playing a lot of TCGs so nothing is automated. You need to load a deck and manually drag out your cost 1 MC. The process will be something like:

-Create a deck through Deck Editor (2nd tab from the top)
-Right click on your avatar at the side of screen, Load recent deck.
-Right click on the Deck tab in the lower middle below the playmat, Reveal to owner > All
-Find the cost 1 MC card and drag it onto the playmat.
-Right click the deck tab again, Reveal to all > none and shuffle. Then draw 6 cards for your hand, etc.

You play the game by using the tabs above the cards and dragging cards manually where appropriate. Hope that helps.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:27 AM, alyss said:

Question! :D

Q1:

The effect of Courageous Crimson Wings, Hinoka:

"Weatherproof" CONT As long as you have at least one face-up card in your Orb Area, all Flying units cannot be destroyed by the effects of skills or by the result of a skills cost.

If Flying Assassin, Beruka is played and tries to destroy itself to destroy an opponent's cost 1 unit, will the effect still go through without it destroying itself?

"Commander of the Kamikaze Unit” ACT [ Flip 1 Bond and Destroy this unit] Select an enemy cost 1 unit besides their Main Character and destroy it.

Thank you~

My understanding is that Beruka's skill cannot be used at all for as long as Hinoka's skill is in effect. This is because Beruka's skill only works if the cost is paid first, but because she is a flier, she can't destroy herself to fulfill the cost due to Hinoka's skill preventing fliers from being destroyed by skill effects, therefore none of Beruka's skill will work.

Alright, thank you ^.^

Next questions are:

1. For Shannan3's Bond Skill, can it be activated even if the card is face-down already?

Bond Skill “BondSkill” Bond Skill ACT Once Per Turn [Send this card to your Retreat Area] Untap one Sword unit that has attacked this turn, in addition - that unit loses 30 attack until the end of this turn. ( Bond Skill This skill can only be used while this card is in the bond area).

2. Say you have Beautiful Obsidian Princess, Camilla, Younger Dark Prince of Chilling Magic, Leo , and Sweet Sister, Elise  on the field, with 1 Orb flipped up. If Camilla's end of turn effect destroys Elise, and Elise flips down an Orb, will Leo's end of turn effect still happen?

Camilla4: During the end of a player's turn, If you have at least 1 face-up card in your Orb Area: Destroy all Cost 1 units, besides the Main Characters. 

Elise1:  When this unit is destroyed, you may choose one of your orbs and flip it face up or face down.

Leo4:  At the end of each players' turn, activate this effect. If you have 1 or more face up orbs, each player that has 5 or more cards in his hand discards a card.

13 hours ago, alyss said:

Alright, thank you ^.^

Next questions are:

1. For Shannan3's Bond Skill, can it be activated even if the card is face-down already?

Bond Skill “BondSkill” Bond Skill ACT Once Per Turn [Send this card to your Retreat Area] Untap one Sword unit that has attacked this turn, in addition - that unit loses 30 attack until the end of this turn. ( Bond Skill This skill can only be used while this card is in the bond area).

2. Say you have Beautiful Obsidian Princess, Camilla, Younger Dark Prince of Chilling Magic, Leo , and Sweet Sister, Elise  on the field, with 1 Orb flipped up. If Camilla's end of turn effect destroys Elise, and Elise flips down an Orb, will Leo's end of turn effect still happen?

Camilla4: During the end of a player's turn, If you have at least 1 face-up card in your Orb Area: Destroy all Cost 1 units, besides the Main Characters. 

Elise1:  When this unit is destroyed, you may choose one of your orbs and flip it face up or face down.

Leo4:  At the end of each players' turn, activate this effect. If you have 1 or more face up orbs, each player that has 5 or more cards in his hand discards a card.

1. Bonds that are flipped face down lose their traits, including name, color, and skills. So flipped bonds can't activate any bond skills.

2. When skills happen at the same time, the player whose turn it is gets to choose the order they activate. So my understanding is if you choose to activate Camilla's first and destroy Elise + Flip down the orb, Leo's effect cannot activate anymore. Alternatively, you can just choose to activate Leo's effect first, then activate Camilla's after to get Leo's effect off.

I have some questions regarding the game rule:
- When a bond card is flipped, it stays flipped until some card effect turns it over again, right?
- Do I have to place a bond card every time it is bond phase? Or is it optional?

Edited by huythekirby

1 hour ago, huythekirby said:

I have some questions regarding the game rule:
- When a bond card is flipped, it stays flipped until some card effect turns it over again, right?
- Do I have to place a bond card every time it is bond phase? Or is it optional?

1. Yes.
2. Bonding is optional.

Hey guys. I was wondering if it is possible to promote from a 1st tier class to a 3rd tier class. For example could I go from "Silver-Haired Maiden, Micaiah" to "Priestess of Hope, Micaiah" or would I have to promote to "Maiden of Dawn, Micaiah" first?

Thanks guys.

There's no restrictions on how you can class change - you can go straight from 1st to 3rd tier as long as you have fulfilled the requirements (have enough bonds) to do so.

You can even slap a card with a promotion cost on top of an already promoted card if you wanted to (e.g - Priestess of Hope, Micaiah -> Maiden of Dawn, Micaiah or even Priestess back into Priestess).

Hi, i've got few questions about strategy, and I haven't seen answers with the research option..

1) I've got Ike on my field, ike unpromoted

Can i put the exactly same card, Ike unpromoted, on top of that ike with a cost of 1 ?

And if I have Brave Crimean General Ike with cost 4/3 : if I want to play the exactly same card on it, is it possible ? Should i pay a cost of 3 or 4 ? (Without drawing because it's a level up?)

2) About the support Skill : Mage Emblem

Bastian has the skill : "Crimea's Tactician SPEC When this card is sent from your hand to the Retreat Zone as the result of an opponent's skill or support skill, your opponent must discard a card. "

I attack my opponent and my support has Mage Emblem, I draw and i discard. If I discard Bastian, does my opponent have to discard a card? (In fact I don't know if its an opponent's support skill, or a support skill)

Same things with Emma, who can be deploy if she's discarded (if I remember well)

2 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Hi, i've got few questions about strategy, and I haven't seen answers with the research option..

1) I've got Ike on my field, ike unpromoted

Can i put the exactly same card, Ike unpromoted, on top of that ike with a cost of 1 ?

And if I have Brave Crimean General Ike with cost 4/3 : if I want to play the exactly same card on it, is it possible ? Should i pay a cost of 3 or 4 ? (Without drawing because it's a level up?)

2) About the support Skill : Mage Emblem

Bastian has the skill : "Crimea's Tactician SPEC When this card is sent from your hand to the Retreat Zone as the result of an opponent's skill or support skill, your opponent must discard a card. "

I attack my opponent and my support has Mage Emblem, I draw and i discard. If I discard Bastian, does my opponent have to discard a card? (In fact I don't know if its an opponent's support skill, or a support skill)

Same things with Emma, who can be deploy if she's discarded (if I remember well)

1. Yes, you can play any card on top of itself as long as the name matches (or if it has a special skill allows the card to be played on a different name). If you were to put cost 4 Ike over another cost 4 Ike, you pay the promotion cost of 3 and draw a card since it still counts as a class change. In general as long as the card being played on top has a promotion cost you draw a card.

2. Both Bastian and Emma's effects are only triggered when your opponent's skills (including support skills) cause the discard, not your own skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. Im new to the game. I live in Tokyo so i just bought some of the new set and some Chrom starters.

Me and my friend dont read kanji at all and barely katakana and hiragana. So naturally the rule book is usless to me.

I have been all around google, but a few questions we still cnt clear up

bonds

1. when you flip bonds over for an ability, do they reflip at the untap phase? or do they stay flipped until you use a ability to reflip them when a bond is fliped, can they still be used as a colorless bond?

2. when paying for recruiting i dont understand how it works. the rule books shows you sliding your used resources to the right when you use them and at the beginning of the turn you get them back

when you are playing two colors, say i slide all my red (2) and 2 blue to play a 4 cost card. I still have 2 blue left unsused.

Can i use those blue bonds to play a red card? Im not sure if just having one red card in the bond area is enough or if it is more like magic and you literally need to match perfectly/ or minimum of one match per card you play?

1. destroyed - is this removed form the game, not just to the discard?

2. if a ability caused 2 orbs to be lost and you have one, is this loss ?

15 minutes ago, jesseolivier said:

Bonds

1. when you flip bonds over for an ability, do they reflip at the untap phase? or do they stay flipped until you use a ability to reflip them when a bond is fliped, can they still be used as a colorless bond?

2. when paying for recruiting i dont understand how it works. the rule books shows you sliding your used resources to the right when you use them and at the beginning of the turn you get them back

when you are playing two colors, say i slide all my red (2) and 2 blue to play a 4 cost card. I still have 2 blue left unsused.

Can i use those blue bonds to play a red card? Im not sure if just having one red card in the bond area is enough or if it is more like magic and you literally need to match perfectly/ or minimum of one match per card you play?

1. They don't unflip during the untap phase. They stay flipped until you unflip them via an effect. They can be used as bond in terms of deploying more units yes. It just counts as colourless.
2. It's to keep count of how much you've used for deploying units. You don't actually have to slide them to the right - but it helps you out when you need to keep count of how many bonds you've used for deployment for that turn.
Your example shows six bonds (2 face-up Reds and 4 face-up Blues) and you used four of them to deploy a 4 cost card. In this case, you would have 2 more bonds leftover to deploy units. As long as you have a red card face-up, you can deploy a red unit. Same for any other colour (If you have no face-up bonds you can't deploy anything).

15 minutes ago, jesseolivier said:

1. destroyed - is this removed form the game, not just to the discard?

2. if a ability caused 2 orbs to be lost and you have one, is this loss ?

1. Destroyed means being sent to the retreat area (or the discard area).
2. You can't lose for an ability that makes you lose two orbs when you have one. You only lose one orb in that case - since for you to lose you need to be hit again when you have nothing.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

Got a ruling question.

I have  Heroic Inheritor of the Blaze, Eliwood on the field. When am I allowed to legally activate his Rallying Flames effect? Do I have to activate the effect before I declare an attack?

23 minutes ago, Gulcasa766 said:

I have  Heroic Inheritor of the Blaze, Eliwood on the field. When am I allowed to legally activate his Rallying Flames effect? Do I have to activate the effect before I declare an attack?

Well you wouldn't know if the support failed or not without knowing what it is, so normally - you choose to activate it once the support is revealed.

Hi all. I asked this similarly a while back but still not clear. 

Bonds : so some actions flip some of your bonds over, and then they are used as colorless. 

I was told that they can only be unflipped by card effects. can someone give me a few card examples of cards that unflip bonds? i have been searching but cant find any ways to unflip them. 

also while im here, during the bond phase do you have to play a bond? or is it mandatory? also can you play more than one? 

13 hours ago, jesseolivier said:

Bonds : so some actions flip some of your bonds over, and then they are used as colorless. 

I was told that they can only be unflipped by card effects. can someone give me a few card examples of cards that unflip bonds? i have been searching but cant find any ways to unflip them. 

also while im here, during the bond phase do you have to play a bond? or is it mandatory? also can you play more than one? 

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Deirdre_(Cipher)
https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Seliph_(Cipher)

A few good examples of how you can unflip bonds. The mechanic is exclusive to Yellow as of now though.

You do not have to play a bond down if you don't want to, although it's recommend you do for the first few turns.
You can only play one bond down per turn. 

Hi, so I've been playing this game with a few friends now for over a year. I finally forced myself to make an account on here and have been reading through the thread while I was impatiently waiting for my series 8 boxes. Yesterday I was laying around and watched one of Shadowdrifter's youtube videos I hadn't notice before about translation errors. One of the problems he mentioned was how some cards affect all your allies, while some affect all other allies. He specifically mentioned the 5/4 chrom's rally skill or whatever it's called, which gives chrom the +30 as well (which we'd never done for any of the lords rallies before) 

1) Do all lords rallies include them under the +30? Even Ike? (which would only matter if you danced cause he has to untap)

2) What about male Robin?

3) what about the new 5/4 Chrom with "all class changed allies"? 

4) Would it be possible for all the descriptions on the wiki to updated? I was thinking that instead of using allies maybe use all units you control (Chrom?) or all lance units you control (Cordelia), etc as opposed to all other ally units you control or all other flying units you control (Cherche)? It just is kind of confusing having the word allies for both conditions, though i understand that is more of the literal translation.

Also thank you all so much for creating and maintaining that wiki, without which my friends and I would be completely incapable of playing what is now basically our favorite game. If there was anything I could do to help I would love to, however I am not very tech-savvy and do not know japanese, so I'm not sure what hep I'd be able to offer. Thanks again.