Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

17 hours ago, Poimagic said:

So, how do you play this game? I've read on how to play, but I still don't understand how to play.

Another question, I wanted to attempt a deck build, one based around Erika as the main. What would be ideal cards for said deck?

You don't. Everybody just talks about the game, but nowadays they usually don't actually play it.
Joke comment aside, what's gotten you hung up on the rules? We might be able to clarify some things.

Eirika, Eirika... Her SR's tempting, isn't it? That prevention of her own destruction, and also the ability to move backline units, a valuable power, what with some players moving their Main Character to the backline in order to keep them safe. I'm gonna advise you to not focus on that, it ends up too heavy, and doesn't really give you much in return. Consider a more aggressive deck, featuring B11-002R Princess of the Sacred Storm Blade, Eirika, adding some other alternate promotion paths for her, to complement against matchups that may be less favorable for aggro (aggressive decks). Add in stuff like B11-022HN Gamble-Loving Mercenary, Joshua, and maybe B11-078HN Prince of Aytolis, Rowan, you might be good.
Overall, though, you should have fun. Don't try and worry too much about having a "winning" deck, that'd just be playing max Grima stall. Nobody likes that.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I have a question about Tharja's skill 

Hex CONT During your turn, if the number of cards in your hand exceeds the number of cards in your opponent's hand, during your turn, this unit gains +20 attack.

Would she gain 20 attack after attacking if she gets a dark mage emblem making the opponent's hand smaller than yours?

12 hours ago, TheRJKid said:

Hey, I have a question about Tharja's skill 

Hex CONT During your turn, if the number of cards in your hand exceeds the number of cards in your opponent's hand, during your turn, this unit gains +20 attack.

Would she gain 20 attack after attacking if she gets a dark mage emblem making the opponent's hand smaller than yours?

Yes, it'll happen straight away if the hand becomes smaller than yours after the support skill since support skills happen before the battle resolves.

Thanks and I have a couple questions about Ike's new SR skill

Rampage AUTO At the end of your turn, choose 1 ally for each card stacked with this unit, and destroy them.

1) Can this skill target allies with a skill where they can't be destroyed by skills (like titania)?

2) Can this skill target an ally multiple times, for example the lord to take multiple orbs?

Edited by TheRJKid

11 hours ago, TheRJKid said:

Thanks and I have a couple questions about Ike's new SR skill

Rampage AUTO At the end of your turn, choose 1 ally for each card stacked with this unit, and destroy them.

1) Can this skill target allies with a skill where they can't be destroyed by skills (like titania)?

2) Can this skill target an ally multiple times, for example the lord to take multiple orbs?

1) Titania can be chosen, but she doesn't get destroyed.

2) You choose targets first, then the destruction happens. Each ally can only be targeted once each, so the lord doesn't destroy himself like.. 5 times or something. That'd be hilarious but it doesn't work like that.

I have a few questions. I don’t have as many and when I first started thanks to watching Cipherfaire, but I still have few questions.

1) When are bonds added to the bonds pile and how do they work?

2) How do you move units? Can you don it infinitely or can you only move a unit once per Turn excluding card effects?

3) What are some decks that favor the long game, as the long game is my main play style.

3 hours ago, Poimagic said:

I have a few questions. I don’t have as many and when I first started thanks to watching Cipherfaire, but I still have few questions.

1) When are bonds added to the bonds pile and how do they work?

2) How do you move units? Can you don it infinitely or can you only move a unit once per Turn excluding card effects?

3) What are some decks that favor the long game, as the long game is my main play style.

1) Bonds are placed down from your hand into the Bond Area during the Bond Phase. Any card can be placed in your Bond Area (unless otherwise stated). They're used not only as a limiter for deployment, but also for paying the costs of your units.

2) You can move units during the Attack Phase by tapping them, and moving them to the other row. Theoretically, there is no limit to doing this, as long as you can untap the unit afterwards, and move it.

3) A few handful of decks love the long game, like Grima, Nino, Elise, and probably some others, I haven't been in the metagame in a while, but I remember those as being particular culprits of a strategy known as "mage stall".

Ah, that makes sense. Plus that answers a question I had about summoning. I assumed the bond was how you summoned. But I have a few more questions

1) Where are support cards played from? Your hand? Or somewhere else? And what happens when a support is used

2) When bonds cards are put in the bond zone, are put face down, or face up? Same queston for orbs

3) Do you have to have a certain turn count to have passed, type of color in your bond zone, or both to summon a card?

4) I saw someone using LackeyCG and they gave themselves orbs, but there deck size decreased? Does mean orbs work somewhat similar to prize cards in Pokémon TCG?

On 3/13/2018 at 3:04 PM, Poimagic said:

Ah, that makes sense. Plus that answers a question I had about summoning. I assumed the bond was how you summoned. But I have a few more questions

1) Where are support cards played from? Your hand? Or somewhere else? And what happens when a support is used

2) When bonds cards are put in the bond zone, are put face down, or face up? Same queston for orbs

3) Do you have to have a certain turn count to have passed, type of color in your bond zone, or both to summon a card?

4) I saw someone using LackeyCG and they gave themselves orbs, but there deck size decreased? Does mean orbs work somewhat similar to prize cards in Pokémon TCG?

1) Supports are from the top of deck - Supports give value to the battling units power and that determines the outcome of that battle. Support Skills may occur depending on timing as well.

2) Bonds are placed face-up. Orbs are placed face-down. These can obviously change when you use bonds to flip for skills or Orbs to flip them face-up for skills.

3) You need certain amounts of bonds to deploy units equal to their deployment cost. Colors also come into play for this as you need a certain color bond to deploy certain color units.

4) Giving yourself orbs usually means your deck size decreases yes. You don't lose the game when you deck out in Cipher, you reshuffle your Retreat and the game continues. Orbs are basically like Prize cards yes. Except you take them when you get hit, and not when you beat them.

Hi, here are the next questions!

Q1:  During the Battle Phase, Can I critic on a successful attack ? (I play Skrimir, and it's to growth him from retreat with Ena)

Q2 : If I want to Class Change Marth-Following Dragon Princess, Tiki (Basic) B11-094HN  with  Awoken Daughter of the Dragon Ruler, Tiki (Promoted) B11-093SR  , I need 4Bonds : Does one of this bond need to be facedown (colorless) to CC, or I can play colorless card with, for example, 4 Red Bonds ?

Q3 : The 3rd Skill of : Nightmarish Rampaging Hero, Ike (Promoted) , If you don't have any ally (or ally 'cannot be destroy by the effect of a skill'), what happens ? I should destroy Ike himself? (orbs, if he's MC)

Q4: I want to clarify the " When this unit is untapped" skill, on Leanne, Ayra, Tiki, : Is it When this card pass from the position Tapped to Untapped, or As long as the unit is in the position untap ?
" When this unit is untapped, it gains 20 attack until the end of turn. " If I play Ayra:  At the beginning of my turn, she gains +20, I attack, Ayra is tapped, during my opponent's turn, Ayra loses the +20, At the beginning of my turn, she's still tapped so the effect doesn't run, and then there is the untapping all of the beginning of the turn, then draw phase,...? 

Thank you !

This has been bugging me for a long time, so i’m gonna ask it. I noted that on a lot of promotion cards, their is a symbol under the color cost. The number that is usually yellow in a white circle. What does it do?

Edit: Nvm. Already figured it out

Edited by Poimagic

13 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Q1:  During the Battle Phase, Can I critic on a successful attack ? (I play Skrimir, and it's to growth him from retreat with Ena)

You must declare a Critical Hit before the Attack of each unit is compared and/or before your opponent declares that they will Godspeed Evasion or not.

Q2 : If I want to Class Change Marth-Following Dragon Princess, Tiki (Basic) B11-094HN  with  Awoken Daughter of the Dragon Ruler, Tiki (Promoted) B11-093SR  , I need 4Bonds : Does one of this bond need to be facedown (colorless) to CC, or I can play colorless card with, for example, 4 Red Bonds ?

As long as you control 1 face-up card in your Bond Area with the same insignia as the unit you're placing down, you can do it. As colorless cards have no insignia in the first place, you don't need to care about this.

Q3 : The 3rd Skill of : Nightmarish Rampaging Hero, Ike (Promoted) , If you don't have any ally (or ally 'cannot be destroy by the effect of a skill'), what happens ? I should destroy Ike himself? (orbs, if he's MC)

As far as I'm aware (@TheVinceKnight may want to correct me on this), yes, you do include Ike himself among the list of targetable units. Thankfully, I believe he cannot destroy 1 unit multiple times, or we'd be seeing people take 5 damage.

Q4: I want to clarify the " When this unit is untapped" skill, on Leanne, Ayra, Tiki, : Is it When this card pass from the position Tapped to Untapped, or As long as the unit is in the position untap ?

As untapping requires you to be tapped in the first place, it is the former. For Ayra or Tiki, you'll sometimes see people moving from the Front Row to the Back Row when going first. This is to get the Attack boost during their next turn.

12 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Hi, here are the next questions!

" When this unit is untapped, it gains 20 attack until the end of turn. " If I play Ayra:  At the beginning of my turn, she gains +20, I attack, Ayra is tapped, during my opponent's turn, Ayra loses the +20, At the beginning of my turn, she's still tapped so the effect doesn't run, and then there is the untapping all of the beginning of the turn, then draw phase,...? 

Thank you !

1) Yes. I wrote a longer explanation below.

At least in the Japanese comprehensive rules there is no clause saying you can't crit except for when your unit's current power is 0. I'd have to read more thoroughly to know if this 0 is before or after counting supports. It just says after supports the attacking player can crit with two subclauses. One addresses the procedure for criting and the other is that previously mentioned 0 thing. TLDR; Yes.

2) You don't need a face down bond to play a colorless card. 

3) If you have no other allies than yes you do destroy Ike himself. That said you would only destroy him once. If you only have that Ike and your MC you can chose to destroy your MC instead of Ike. I'm mildly confused about the bracketed part of your question, but if you happen to be asking about if you can select an ally that cannot be destroyed by the effect of a skill as one of the units you must select with that Ike than yes you can.

4) Yes. I wrote a longer explanation below.

If you play for example Ayra. She is 40 power the turn you play her. Assuming she becomes tapped for any reason than at the start of your next turn when she untaps she gains +20. As Ayra gains +20 whenever she is untapped for the turn she'd also gain an additionally +20 if you untapped her with a skill. I'm basing this off of the bit in the comprehensive rules that mentions the untap step in the beginning phase. "The active player untaps all of their tapped cards. Check and activate automatic skills." (Somewhat heavily paraphrased it actually has a term saying like "Run Timing Check" which is described by about 4 pages of processes one of which is activate any auto skills.)

Sorry if my writing was at all confusing.

7 hours ago, yamao said:

4) Yes. I wrote a longer explanation below.

If you play for example Ayra. She is 40 power the turn you play her. Assuming she becomes tapped for any reason than at the start of your next turn when she untaps she gains +20. As Ayra gains +20 whenever she is untapped for the turn she'd also gain an additionally +20 if you untapped her with a skill. I'm basing this off of the bit in the comprehensive rules that mentions the untap step in the beginning phase. "The active player untaps all of their tapped cards. Check and activate automatic skills." (Somewhat heavily paraphrased it actually has a term saying like "Run Timing Check" which is described by about 4 pages of processes one of which is activate any auto skills.)

Sorry if my writing was at all confusing.

Thank you,
So with Leanne' skill " Blessing AUTO Once Per Turn [ Flip 1 Bond ] When this unit is untapped, you may pay the cost, and if you do: Choose a card in your Retreat Area except "Leanne", and add that card to your hand. "
I can only heal when she untaps at the beginning of my turn, or If I move her and use an effect to untap?

9 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Thank you,
So with Leanne' skill " Blessing AUTO Once Per Turn [ Flip 1 Bond ] When this unit is untapped, you may pay the cost, and if you do: Choose a card in your Retreat Area except "Leanne", and add that card to your hand. "
I can only heal when she untaps at the beginning of my turn, or If I move her and use an effect to untap?

Yes that's exactly correct. It's worth keeping in mind that to untap Leanne at the beginning of your turn you will have to do something that requires you to tap her. Of course she is deployed tapped, but for turns after that first turn you will have to move her or use an effect that allows you to tap one of your units.

Edited by yamao
Posted too hastily..

15 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Technically, yes, you can untap her during any phase, to activate her effect, but doing so requires such dedicated cards to be added into your deck, that there's really no point in doing so, as you get a much greater net loss.

Edited by ScarletFlame

On 3/20/2018 at 10:48 PM, Calyurso said:

You have to destroy Ike himself. But only once. You select targets equal to your stack first, and select an ally only once per requirement. Ike targets himself once and that's it. You lose an orb if he's MC.

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

I was just wondering, are any of Kent's cards included in any of the starter deck packs, or would I have to obtain him separately? 

Unfortunately, none of the current trial decks include Kent as one of the cards. You're gonna have to either pull him from Set 7, or purchase single copies of his cards.

15 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

Unfortunately, none of the current trial decks include Kent as one of the cards. You're gonna have to either pull him from Set 7, or purchase single copies of his cards.

Darn, I thought that would be the case but I haven't got set 7's starter deck yet , so I was hopeful >.<

Thanks for letting me know :) 

For what it's worth, there's going to be a Blazing Sword themed ST Deck coming out with S13 in June. So it's likely he could make an ST appearance then, and/or get more cards in the set itself.

Hi,

I've got a question about Supports, and the skill "Name of the Hero King SPEC Treat this card as if this card's name is also "Marth" "
If Lucina is supported by Marth, does this support fail ? Does this effect take place in the Hand ? (to Crit, or Evasion)
Same question for Zelgius/BK, and other Double identity Characters (except Sirius/Camus/Zeke).

4 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Hi,

I've got a question about Supports, and the skill "Name of the Hero King SPEC Treat this card as if this card's name is also "Marth" "
If Lucina is supported by Marth, does this support fail ? Does this effect take place in the Hand ? (to Crit, or Evasion)
Same question for Zelgius/BK, and other Double identity Characters (except Sirius/Camus/Zeke).

Purple skills are active at all times so that would include in the support zone, in your hand, in your deck, in the bonds and in the retreat zone. So yes the support fails if Lucina is supported by Marth. The support also fails if Marth is supported by a Lucina with that skill. You can likewise crit and evade with these cards. 

18 hours ago, Calyurso said:

As long as neither of them have the same name as the other, you can support them. Gawain does have the clause of also being treated as Greil, so it's a no-go for that.