Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

17 hours ago, Gonzak said:

"When this unit performs a Critical Hit while attacking the Main Character, you may choose an enemy besides the Main Character, and destroy it. "

B10-033R

If the critical hit is avoided, does it still proc or not?

The skill activates when you crit so it happens irregardless of the main character evading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Question, If a Matthew B13-014R attack and he reveal a support with thief emblem, he can activate this skill? (Sworn Fell Sword AUTO Once Per Turn During your turn, when your opponent reveals a card from their deck as the result of a skill's effect, untap this unit.)

He is in mid of a attack, that affected the activation of that skill?, idk

6 hours ago, Vinegarto said:

Question, If a Matthew B13-014R attack and he reveal a support with thief emblem, he can activate this skill? (Sworn Fell Sword AUTO Once Per Turn During your turn, when your opponent reveals a card from their deck as the result of a skill's effect, untap this unit.)

He is in mid of a attack, that affected the activation of that skill?, idk

Matthew can activate it while he's in combat yep.

Nothing really stops the activation of the skill while your attacking. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Do Camus, Sirius and Zeke really count as different characters (so they can't class change into the other and may exist at the same time)? Same with Zelgius and Black Knight.

Is Mist #B12-005N's ability replacing the support or adding to it?

edit: Is Ilyana  #B14-097S as solid an ability for a lord as it seems?

Is there a way to check for cards that can unflip bonds? Have synergy with an affinity?

Edited by deuxhero

On 3/23/2019 at 5:12 AM, deuxhero said:

Do Camus, Sirius and Zeke really count as different characters (so they can't class change into the other and may exist at the same time)? Same with Zelgius and Black Knight.

They all count as different characters yes. Zelgius and Black Knight too. I do believe that one of the Zelgius cards also does actually count as Black Knight though.

Is Mist #B12-005N's ability replacing the support or adding to it?

Replaces it.

edit: Is Ilyana  #B14-097S as solid an ability for a lord as it seems?

Is there a way to check for cards that can unflip bonds? Have synergy with an affinity?

It's okay, she's a lot better when used for others lords though in my opinion.

I don't understand the question, but if you wanna unflip bonds Deirdre and Linoan can do it.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:58 AM, deuxhero said:

I meant if there is a way to search existing cards to find what cards have a particular ability.

not particularly
Perhaps you could search 'unflip bonds' on the Wiki and it'll match it? I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem is there's a few possible wordings ("face-down Bonds and flip it face-up", "unflip",  "Flip one of your face-down Bonds face-up." "flip them face-up").  Deirdre, Ethlyn, Leif, Lewyn, and Linoan (all yellow/Jugdral) are the only ones I found that have a possible net positive unflipped.

An google image search for サイファ 絆 表向きにする helped a bit, though it finds a lot of orb flips and the like too. Better than nothing I guess

Edited by deuxhero

So ive been just learning how to play and thinking about getting big into this even though its not in english. Since there are so many different color cards, does running multi color decks work? and if it does do you have to put the correct color in the bond to play the card? since you dont really tap your bond area like other games that part has me confused cause it seems more like hearthsotne where it just refills on your turn and you can just play cards cost equal to your current bond (2 in the bond i could play a 2 drop or 2 1 drops etc). Also when it comes to the bond area, if i have a blue card on the field that has a bond 1 ability do i have to flip a blue bond or can it be any card in my bond?

Another question is what are some of the best decks going atm? i plan to just build a deck around an MC i like rather then whats best cause cant take this game competitively in north america. but i am curious to see what some of the top decks are. 

Edited by Zihark11

On 4/10/2019 at 4:49 AM, Zihark11 said:

So ive been just learning how to play and thinking about getting big into this even though its not in english. Since there are so many different color cards, does running multi color decks work? and if it does do you have to put the correct color in the bond to play the card? since you dont really tap your bond area like other games that part has me confused cause it seems more like hearthsotne where it just refills on your turn and you can just play cards cost equal to your current bond (2 in the bond i could play a 2 drop or 2 1 drops etc). Also when it comes to the bond area, if i have a blue card on the field that has a bond 1 ability do i have to flip a blue bond or can it be any card in my bond?

Another question is what are some of the best decks going atm? i plan to just build a deck around an MC i like rather then whats best cause cant take this game competitively in north america. but i am curious to see what some of the top decks are. 

Multi-color is usually the way to go for majority of decks, you can also choose to just run mono color though and it'll probably be fine. Bond flip skills don't specify specific colors you need to flip so you can flip any of your bonds. Some skills exist that require you to actually flip a specific color bond though but that's different.

16 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

Multi-color is usually the way to go for majority of decks, you can also choose to just run mono color though and it'll probably be fine. Bond flip skills don't specify specific colors you need to flip so you can flip any of your bonds. Some skills exist that require you to actually flip a specific color bond though but that's different.

Gotcha thanks! So heres an example, i have a yellow card in my hand and i have a blue card in my bond. can i play the yellow card or does my bond require a yellow card for me to play yellow etc.

On 4/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, Zihark11 said:

Gotcha thanks! So heres an example, i have a yellow card in my hand and i have a blue card in my bond. can i play the yellow card or does my bond require a yellow card for me to play yellow etc.

You need a Yellow card in your bonds to play yellow cards from your hand.
It's still simple stuff to manage two color decks, just wait til you've seen three or four colors heh

On 4/18/2019 at 5:22 PM, deuxhero said:

Do you need a separate colored bond for each unit of the same color you want to deploy that turn or just one and enough bonds to cover all the point costs?

Sorry for the late response.

You need a separate color bond for each color you aim to deploy for that turn. Keep in mind that in still needs to fall under the total deployment cost for your turn though.

Two Questions: 

• Titania: Golden Savior B14-081SR can activate all stack skills of Ross: His Father's Son B11-010HN?
  • Chrom: Undead King of Despair B08-002SR and Grima: Baleful Dragon B08-048R can tap/search
    respectively a Risen Chief: Grotesque Commander B12-074HN and Risen Chief: Evil-Eyed Assassin B14-039HN?

On 4/30/2019 at 2:07 AM, Vinegarto said:

Titania: Golden Savior B14-081SR can activate all stack skills of Ross: His Father's Son B11-010HN?

Yes. Titania's Golden Maneuvers makes the stack skills for Ross active until the end of the opponent's next turn.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:07 AM, Vinegarto said:

Chrom:Undead King of Despair B08-002SR and Grima: Baleful Dragon B08-048R can tap/search
respectively a Risen Chief: Grotesque Commander B12-074HN and Risen Chief: Evil-Eyed Assassin B14-039HN?

Chrom and Grima's skills specifically require an ally with the card name 'Risen'. Risen Chief unfortunately does not fall under this condition as the card's name is 'Risen Chief'.

• 3 weeks later...

The skill of Lilina: Lovely Duchess draws me a (single) card whenever Lute: Matchless Prodigal Mage uses her skill right?

Flying units often have Flying Emblem (You may choose one ally that is not the attacking unit, and move it.). Does this work on the defending unit? If so, what happens if their move makes them an illegal target?

Edited by deuxhero

19 hours ago, deuxhero said:

The skill of Lilina: Lovely Duchess draws me a (single) card whenever Lute: Matchless Prodigal Mage uses her skill right?

Yes, you can use Lilina's 'The Making of a Great Sorcerer' skill to draw a card right after you resolve Lute's skill.

19 hours ago, deuxhero said:

Flying units often have Flying Emblem (You may choose one ally that is not the attacking unit, and move it.). Does this work on the defending unit? If so, what happens if their move makes them an illegal target?

You can't use Flying Emblem when you're defending, since it's only a skill that activates when attacking. If you're talking about while you're attacking an enemy and then move your enemy with Flying Emblem, you can't do that either since Flying Emblem only moves your own units (your allies).

There have been cases of a unit being outside of a certain range when being redirected as an attack, like when using Flora Boreal Maid's skill "Did I prove useful?" to redirect the attack onto her when she's placed outside of range of the attacker - in such case the attack still can get redirected towards her and battle proceeds as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there's no bond/hand/field/boundless limit, is there anything actually preventing a game state where the retreat zone and deck are both empty? What happens if they are? Admittedly I don't see this happening without both players allowing it to happen.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am a begginer at playing Fire Emblem Cipher, and so, understanding some skills isn't clear, that's why I have few questions about skills and other... 

-As I saw on Faye, Dreamy Thoughts (P09-003PR) her second skill says that "When an enemy is destroyed by this unit's attack, you may pay the cost and if you do: Choose 1 "Alm" from your Retreat Area, and add it to your hand." So, is that mean that if I want this skill to function (Choose 1 "Alm" from my Retreat Area and had it to my hand) I have to flip 3 bonds? (Because this Faye's deployment cost is 3). It's the same for a Conrad card (B09-043SR), if I want his second skill to function, do I have to flip 4 bonds?What I would like to know is what is meant by "you may pay the cost".

- Second, I have another question. I think I have the answer to this one, but as long as I'm not sure, so I prefer ask:

If I understand well, if I have a card who as a deployment cost of 1 (Example: Faye, Ram Village Girl, B09-016N), I can class change this card with any other Faye card as long as the other one as a Promotion Cost? (Ex: I have the Faye, Ram Village Girl, who is a Pegasus Knight, and I want to class change it as the Faye, Dreamy Thoughts, which is a Priestress). I know It's a "basic" question, but I want to be sure, for not do any mistakes.

- There is a skill I'm not sure to understand well. It's the Azura's, Songstress of the Fountain Support Skill. It says that I can untap an ally with a deployment cost of 2 or less, if my attacking Unit is a Hoshidian. If I untap a unit, it means that this one can play again? It acts like the skill Dance/Sing in the game?

-I don't understand well the Support Skill "Ninja Emblem", I can discard the card of my choice? Even if It's a a card with a Deployment cost of 5? That means I had to put the card with the "Ninja Emblem" Skill in the Retreat Area and then, discard another card of my choice and tap this one? If I understand, this skill permit to use a card, even if it has a high Deployment cost, without using bonds?

- And for finish, there is something I want to know about the "Resistance Emblem"Support Skill. For example, if in my Support Area, there is a "Gray, Reliable Childhood Friend" ( who has this Support Skill) and that my defending unit is a "Kliff, Surly Passion", which card I have to deploy instead of put it in the Retreat Area? The Gray (the card with the Support Skill), or the Kliff?

I think this is all for the moment. Sorry if one of those question has been asked before, and also, sorry if my english is not excellent.

Thank you a lot for reading my post!

I know the answers of my questions may be evident, but I'm really not sure about the answers. That's why I prefer ask.

Don't worry, this game can be a bit confusing to understand at first, hence why the QandA thread is here.

5 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

Hello, I am a begginer at playing Fire Emblem Cipher, and so, understanding some skills isn't clear, that's why I have few questions about skills and other... 

-As I saw on Faye, Dreamy Thoughts (P09-003PR) her second skill says that "When an enemy is destroyed by this unit's attack, you may pay the cost and if you do: Choose 1 "Alm" from your Retreat Area, and add it to your hand." So, is that mean that if I want this skill to function (Choose 1 "Alm" from my Retreat Area and had it to my hand) I have to flip 3 bonds? (Because this Faye's deployment cost is 3).

The skill's cost refers to the cost of the skill you want to use (which is in brackets after the blue icon in this case). Paying the cost is optional as you said, you just have to Flip 2 Bonds if you want to use this particular skill. In Conrad's case, you only have to Flip 1 Bond to use it, since the cost of that skill is 1 bond.

6 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

- Second, I have another question. I think I have the answer to this one, but as long as I'm not sure, so I prefer ask:

If I understand well, if I have a card who as a deployment cost of 1 (Example: Faye, Ram Village Girl, B09-016N), I can class change this card with any other Faye card as long as the other one as a Promotion Cost? (Ex: I have the Faye, Ram Village Girl, who is a Pegasus Knight, and I want to class change it as the Faye, Dreamy Thoughts, which is a Priestress). I know It's a "basic" question, but I want to be sure, for not do any mistakes.

You can level up / class change Faye with any other Faye card (even the Cost 2 Faye). The difference is that Faye cards with a promotion cost count as a Class Change, and give the Class Change bonus of drawing a card. The Cost 2 Faye wouldn't give a Class Change bonus but you can still go into that as long as you have the required bonds to deploy.

- There is a skill I'm not sure to understand well. It's the Azura's, Songstress of the Fountain Support Skill. It says that I can untap an ally with a deployment cost of 2 or less, if my attacking Unit is a Hoshidian. If I untap a unit, it means that this one can play again? It acts like the skill Dance/Sing in the game?

Untapping a unit means you can perform an action with that unit again, such as attacking, moving or tapping to activate that unit's skill.

-I don't understand well the Support Skill "Ninja Emblem", I can discard the card of my choice? Even if It's a a card with a Deployment cost of 5? That means I had to put the card with the "Ninja Emblem" Skill in the Retreat Area and then, discard another card of my choice and tap this one? If I understand, this skill permit to use a card, even if it has a high Deployment cost, without using bonds?

Basically what Ninja Emblem does is you choose whether or not to discard a card from your hand (your choosing), then after the battle is finished, if you discarded a card, deploy that unit with the Ninja Emblem on the field tapped. When you deploy an ally via a skill, it doesn't factor in the amount of bonds you've used for deploying that turn.

- And for finish, there is something I want to know about the "Resistance Emblem"Support Skill. For example, if in my Support Area, there is a "Gray, Reliable Childhood Friend" ( who has this Support Skill) and that my defending unit is a "Kliff, Surly Passion", which card I have to deploy instead of put it in the Retreat Area? The Gray (the card with the Support Skill), or the Kliff?

Normally cards in the support area get sent to the Retreat Area after battle, but in Gray's case, activating Resistance Emblem let's you deploy that Gray with the Resistance Emblem (unless you already have one) onto the field instead of sending it to the Retreat Area.

If you have any further questions, just keep asking. Cipher can be a bit awkward to understand so fire away.

Thank you a lot! Now it's really clearer to me! But there still a litlle thing I want to know, when you say 

then after the battle is finished,

you mean after my turn and my opponent's turn is finished? I know it's nothing but I want to be sure.

By the way, I have other questions I forgot to ask:

-Silque, Mila-Serving Cleric hav ea skill who permit me to chose a card from my Retreat area, but I can only chose a card with the same name than one of my cards on the field? That means that if, on my field, I have got a Clair, Alm (as my MC), and Faye, this skill permit me to choose one of those character's card, even if the class is different? (I could take a Clair, Lady of the war, or a Clair, Noble Wings of Deliverance)?

-The skills who need to pay the cost, (like Clair, Wings of Deliverance's first skill, "When an enemy is destroyed by this unit's attack, if you pay the cost, choose 1 card from your Retreat Area with the same name as your Main Character, and add it to your hand.", I have to pay the cost after the attack destroyed an ennemy unit?  

-When can I flip bonds if I want, for example, to deploy a 4 Deployment cost red card but I only have one red card and 3 white cards in my Bonds Area? (Example: I want to deploy Leon, True of heart (4 Deployment Cost), but I only have 1 red card, and 3 white in my Bonds area, when can I flip the 3 white cards for deploy the Leon)?

As long as I don't add or tap a card in my Bonds area, which can be only made at each begining of turn, I can "modify" ( what I mean is flip a card, or something other) my Bonds area whenever I want?

Thanks again for answer to my first questions. And thanks in advance, for respond to each of my questions :D.

Edited by FireFenrir30

On 7/17/2019 at 8:27 PM, FireFenrir30 said:

you mean after my turn and my opponent's turn is finished? I know it's nothing but I want to be sure.

Ninja Emblem will occur after the result of the battle after you attacked an enemy. 

-Silque, Mila-Serving Cleric hav ea skill who permit me to chose a card from my Retreat area, but I can only chose a card with the same name than one of my cards on the field? That means that if, on my field, I have got a Clair, Alm (as my MC), and Faye, this skill permit me to choose one of those character's card, even if the class is different? (I could take a Clair, Lady of the war, or a Clair, Noble Wings of Deliverance)?

Yes even if the class is different, since it still has the same character name, you can choose any of those cards to add back to your hand as long as you already have those units on the field.

-The skills who need to pay the cost, (like Clair, Wings of Deliverance's first skill, "When an enemy is destroyed by this unit's attack, if you pay the cost, choose 1 card from your Retreat Area with the same name as your Main Character, and add it to your hand.", I have to pay the cost after the attack destroyed an ennemy unit?  

You only need to pay the cost if you destroy an enemy with it yes. This also works towards the enemy Main Character if you manage to hit them and they take an orb as a result. If the enemy dodges your attack you can't activate these skills.

-When can I flip bonds if I want, for example, to deploy a 4 Deployment cost red card but I only have one red card and 3 white cards in my Bonds Area? (Example: I want to deploy Leon, True of heart (4 Deployment Cost), but I only have 1 red card, and 3 white in my Bonds area, when can I flip the 3 white cards for deploy the Leon)?

As long as I don't add or tap a card in my Bonds area, which can be only made at each beggining of turn, I can "modify" ( what I mean is flip a card, or something other) my Bonds area whenever I want?

Since you have a total of 4 bonds, as long as you have one red bond, you can deploy Leon.
You don't need to flip / or tap bonds to deploy units specifically to deploy units. That's just to indicate that you used those bonds to deploy units for that turn. Flipping bonds are only for the costs of skills.
You can't 'modify' your bond area, or rather you'll need to explain what you mean by that.