Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

Seems like we're opposites on the scale of game designing then, Mr.Night!

My focus was to provide multiple options (i.e, choosing what character to promote/focus on leveling), to see what creative solutions Marc could pick up with the tools available. Yours seems to have been to force him to use creative strategies by using his habits against him (if I understood your message correctly). I'd like to see how that works out for you, or if your submission played out as you intended it to.

Also, sweet more Frickblade art lol

I might have made some too.

mmm not quite, turning his habits against him was the plan for RF 5 using the information I gained from him playing my RF 4 submission which gave many ways to beat the hack and learn exactly what are his habits. It was not shown for obvious reasons but I gave the player a lot of wiggle room to solve the various problems I threw at them as well as flexibility of strategies. Will explain them with this list of what I learned when marc played my hack and what I can use against him.

In Part 1

- Marc changing the tactician name told me he would do things simply because I told him not to in a harmless environment. If he doesn't feel the risk he will be bold.

- Marc doesn't visit houses. There was 10k gold in one which would allow him to buy armorslaying weapons, light runes, runeswords(which do a ton of damage against the moneyman as well due to his low resistance), or stat boosters. (one robe would have made marc sage more durable for counter kills.) There was also a hero that, if killed, drops the luna edge which could also destroy the moneyman. This tells me that if I put the winning strategy in a house, he is more than likely to miss it.

- This also tells me he doesn't rely on gear to get by if he doesn't have to. Which is also proven by how he ignored the chests because he felt the risks of death did not outweigh his curiosity of the possibility one of the super weapons could be in them.

- I also learned Marc does not risk the high tier units. One of my favorite jokes is wade's death quote where he argues with me for not instant killing marc if he was the first to die. The fact we rarely see wade and bro die but yet he was all too willing to let the others die tells me he takes risks with units that are expendable. (although I made claire the dodge tank and sentimental the mage tank so they weren't completely useless)

- The fact he despawned the troubadour says so much because it was something he could have easily dealt with. However he choose to flex his engine know how just because he could which tells me he will try to do this as much as possible. (Much to his dismay when he tried to despawn the moneyman and released the Hector trap)

Part 2

- Marc does not like crits in ragefest submissions, which saddens me because they always add a unexpected "WTF?!" moments easier. even controlled ones are a grey area which tells me I need to get creative of adding them in whenever the player feels like it. (goods news is I have with the re-balanced luck blade. In exchange for luck you can do more accurate damage.)

-Putting Marc in a tight, open enough space with tough enemies really makes him feel the urgency and pressure. He nearly didn't notice he almost ran out of time.

Part 3

-Do not give Marc choke points, that is where he hits his stride.

-Marc is really confident in his defense mission game, nearly to the point of arrogance. Can exploit this later.

Part 4

-When all else fails, cheese it and he did with silencer. ( I purposely didn't put an iron rune on the moneyman to give a surefire way out, provided you kept claire alive and snagged a killing edge in part 3 from a dead guy)

- This also points out that once Marc thinks something is useless, he won't check again later to see if it's still true. (i.e ignored the brave sword, killing edge, bolting tome from various enemies.) Although it was surprising he desperately tried to hold onto the Nosferatu tome despite having no one to wield it for a very long time.

- Marc can resist temptation to a certain degree since he didn't rely on the luck tome to suddenly work.

With these little notes, you can begin to see where you can lead him into his favorite strategies and where you can destroy his confidence in them.

@Night: Your submission was short, so it wasn't really an issue. I honestly would like to see more of you in the contest. =X

Which... leads me to believe that perhaps people should either make their submissions short and brutal, or long and easy. Either way, I'd want progress to be consistent. It becomes very demoralizing when I've wasted a lot of time on my days off on a submission without anything to show for it.

Also yes, your assessment of my strategies sounds just about right. Congratulations. You figured that out faster than one of my old friends did. He acted like he was smart and stuff, and that he could design a truly horrific submission by studying my play style, and guess what? Never happened.

I wasn't always like that, mind you. I used to grind up my units, avoid the jeigans, and so on, but that got old after a while, and during commentaries, I prefer to use strategies that take the least amount of effort so I can focus on just talking instead of playing well (Hard to do both). Midnight Sun shows just how little I care about abusing the Jeigan unit. DX

Hooray! my science was fruitful but yeah I wouldn't mind making short brutal hacks because they are a lot better making time-wise.

Edited by MrNight48

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Night: Hey, I visit houses all the time. Go watch Midnight Sun! And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't I visit the houses within just the first few turns?

Regarding your other points... I despawned the troubadour because I felt it would make things easier. Not because I was trying to show off. I don't exploit to show off. I just don't like dealing with stuff if I don't have to.

Yes, I don't like open spaces. FE11 gave me a some trouble with its high move units and open space. Strangely enough, FE6 didn't, but that game did a damn good job at teaching me to be paranoid as hell.

I wouldn't call myself arrogant about my defense game. It's more like... It is very hard to make a good defense mission because of the nature of the game. You can very easily trivialize most of them if you think outside the box a little. Sometimes you don't even need to do THAT. I don't like to defend either. It's boring. =X

I think your other points are spot on though.

@Silver: I dunno. I have work today, but I'm off tomorrow. It's pretty dead at my job, so I should have more time for videos.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

That is interesting, Mr. Night. Now, once FEXNA comes out for everyone, maybe I could make something as well...

Also, I personally found Emblem Warriors, Tale of Purt, and other submissions that did unique things to be the best ones Marky has faced so far. I think the only real competition this forum has for random hacks is Ragefest, and as such, people are putting both their unique creative ideas that wouldn't work as a normal hack into it, mixed with people who really are trying to make rage-tastic submissions. Or something like that. anyways. Actual difficulty between submissions in this contest tends to vary wildly, and that's okay. Because of that, though, people look at Ragefest as sources of both types of hacks. I think a switch to trying to have more creative ideas and gimmicks for RF5 could result in some really interesting stuff, if what we have so far is any indication.

I don't know what the fuck just happened.

But I don't really care~

Imma get the fuck up outta here~

Fuck that shit I'm out~

That was the biggest anticlimax I've ever seen in RF so far. To DH_Ninja, this song is dedicated to you:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao67Idz3Uc

Edited by SilverHairedFreak25

You, uh... did it! You won!

Honestly, though, that submission was broken in more ways than one. It had a good concept, and I found the end result to be hilarious, particularly "slightly slowed down deeper voice Markyjoe" and "slightly sped up high voice Markyjoe". I kind of want to see what happens if you do it the "normal" way.

Yeah. Uh. Truth be told, the pitch changes weren't intentional. I just had bad settings on virtual dub when I recorded. I still need to get my recording set up, well, set up.

... because it's causing me to do a lot of resyncing in part 2 of Marc's Precious. *sigh*

But I don't really care~

Imma get the fuck up outta here~

Fuck that shit I'm out~

That was the biggest anticlimax I've ever seen in RF so far. To DH_Ninja, this song is dedicated to you:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tao67Idz3Uc

<3

Okay but in all seriousness I'm going to watch the submission. There's quite the story behind this. At the very least it seems like people are enjoying it which I think is what really matters for something like this.

Edit: This is a message from DH_Ninja. I await you in the PM Box, Marky.

Edited by DH_Ninja