Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

In my submission, I thought of the objective and expected it to carry the whole chapter (running face first into the bar set by earlier submissions). That's pretty much the reason I didn't want it hosted; if you want to play my submission, wait until the next RF.

(I also agree with your analyses for the strategist award, I just have slightly different opinions on some of them.)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he meant to say a super powerful, invisible unit. That's definitely something you don't see often.

Edited by Tricky Drick

Yeah, most people don't respond because they agree sometimes I think. That generally goes for me (although I was legit at work on break, so I couldn't say much).

This one has plenty of unconventional ideas, but not a whole lot that I would see being used in the future. The innovation here is very self contained, I'd say. However, I want to highlight the usage of markyjoe voice samples in this submission since it is by far the funniest part of it. FEXP users should reaaaally use this to their advantage more. Not just with Markyjoe voice samples, but just sounds in general.

Actually there is something. Double-edged skills. Reisen's skill was useful but double edged (it could hit you or the enemy). It also had to make you plan around having Reisen specifically not be next to a person each time your turn ended. Stuff like that can make for an interesting.

honestly negative skills in general feel underutilized, it's obvious why they're not in fe13/14 but hopefully with easier asm'ing (or at least, better documentation on it for beginners) and fexna eventually we'll see more skill variety

Agh. I apologize, Pwntagonist, I should have acknowledged your submission. Though, I really meant using a powerful enemy unit as a timer as opposed to classical fe timers such as "get to this village before bandit does".

That said, your submission in its second half was almost purely about luring a super powerful unit to prevent his dominion over the entire map, and that deserves some recognition for being unconventional as well. >.<

Sorry that I offended you!

And yeah, double edged and negative skills need more exploration as well. The negative skills could be based on personality flaws like impatience and depression.

• 2 weeks later...

So. Instead of doing a big thought dump on each award and submission, I decided to just record a whole video on the bloody thing.

So yeah, that's done.

Also, how many contestants are interested in being interviewed about their submission?

i feel sad that there wasnt a reward for best unit in a game, cause i feel the archer that is pwnage kirby would of gotten massive votes from the viewers. and watching her destroy everything was fun as well.

I avoided a "strongest unit" poll primarily because out of the 15 submissions, there are well over 50 characters to choose from (admittedly, many of them are me cause I'm playable in so many), and I didn't wanna make a poll THAT huge even though people are just gonna pick Char. DX

i feel sad that there wasnt a reward for best unit in a game, cause i feel the archer that is pwnage kirby would of gotten massive votes from the viewers. and watching her destroy everything was fun as well.

Because "strongest unit" awards are pigeonhole rewards. They are a reward that discourages variety in the types of things implemented into Ragefest. Super strong units like Char, as funny as that was, are truly only harmful to the hack / game.

What I'm saying here is that if you were to go for say "strongest unit" award, you risk missing other rewards as well because even if the map is well designed and requires a lot of strategy, there's a solid chance that you'll spend about 70% of your time designing your map(s) around that powerful unit because if you don't, the powerful unit will trivialize the map.

Also fine with one but although I can talk I can't say it would be entertaining. Plus these comings months seem like there will be a lot going on for me that will take precedence over game stuff so timing can possibly be an issue too.

Do you mean "taking on" or "running the hell away from?"

"Running past", of course.

I wouldn't mind doing an interview, but I don't think there's any need for one. If anyone wants to know anything about my submission, they can just ask.

Aye, but some people don't know to ask, don't think to ask, or are too shy to ask. =X

That said... I got this idea from Lord Wolfram, and I really like it, but I also want to move on from Ragefest IV and complete FE3, which I'm VERY excited to go back to.

On the other hand, these interviews could be very fascinating and helpful towards better understanding how to design FE games, or at the very least how to design Ragefest submissions.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm undecided. Maybe I should have a vote?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Completely up to you. I honestly don't really care either way if an interview is done or not, but if it is, I don't mind doing one if you want to have one with me.

It really comes down to if you think it would benefit people looking to make submissions in the future, or just be inspiring to people in general, as well as it being worth waiting to get back into FE3.

If you're interested I can do the interviews for you. small advertising of my channel would be great

As small support wouldn't hurt.
If everyone is alright with that we can let Marc to work with FE3 while I'll support the Ragefest IV with making the interviews.