Personal Skills

Jedi

Am I the only one who would like to see characters with personalized skills like how Jugdral and Tellius did, but have class skills along with them? I mean I know reclassing is a thing, but come on, it adds a little more to the characters if they have personalized skills based on who they are.

I mean honestly, with 5 slots it's not that out there of a concept, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see if any characters have an "abnormal" skill.

I'd really like to see personal skills that can't be removed from a unit. I just don't see the point of personal skills if they can just be removed and given to another unit.

If they can be removed (and given to other units) i'd rather not have any personal skills at all.

Edited by General Horace

Yes please. I'm hoping the skill system is radically changed. I didn't like it being tied to reclass, it just flooded us with a bunch of lame skills and made it a chore to grind up to actually good skill set ups. I don't mind some class skills like Lethality for assassins and so on but I'd prefer something more like RD overall where you have limited skills and have to think about who to assign them to.

Edit: oh about personal skills, I kinda agree that some should be locked to certain characters but I also like being able to reassign others so a combination of this would be cool to me

Edited by Owain Dark

I'd really like to see personal skills that can't be removed from a unit. I just don't see the point of personal skills if they can just be removed and given to another unit.

If they can be removed (and given to other units) i'd rather not have any personal skills at all.

Maybe that big circle seen in screens is a personal cannot be removed skill?

Yes please. I'm hoping the skill system is radically changed. I didn't like it being tied to reclass, it just flooded us with a bunch of lame skills and made it a chore to grind up to actually good skill set ups. I don't mind some class skills like Lethality for assassins and so on but I'd prefer something more like RD overall where you have limited skills and have to think about who to assign them to.

Edit: oh about personal skills, I kinda agree that some should be locked to certain characters but I also like being able to reassign others so a combination of this would be cool to me

I'd rather it would be like FE4/9 lol. Maybe have some skill scrolls for some hilarity too.

I'd like a mix of the Tellius/Awakening skill systems. Skills being tied to class gives each one a unique feel (at least it would if reclassing/grinding weren't a thing) and gives each class something to work towards. Personal skills are great too so I wouldn't mind everyone having one skill that can't be unequipped. It would be like some of the spotpass/DLC characters who had a skill non-native to their class. Additionally, I'd like a few skills like Iote's Shield to be made into scrolls you can get in game.

There was a point to keeping the personal skill on it's original owner in Tellius because it didn't take up any skill capacity. I think that's a fair compromise.

My preference would be to make skills limited in the main game and freely accessible in the postgame. It's the best of both worlds where a character's skillset really matters, but at the same time you have an opportunity to build a killer skillset for any challenge maps.

I'd rather it would be like FE4/9 lol. Maybe have some skill scrolls for some hilarity too.

I haven't played very far in FE4 but do you mean like the rings? Would it be different from scrolls though? Although, maybe they could have rings be the way to learn non-personal skills and have special events to get them like in 4. And then scrolls are used for learning the class specific skills which become locked to the character once learned? I dunno. :P

I'd love to see a Jugdral based skill system return, give each character their own individual niche, and if they insist on pairings, make each individual pairing unique. Though, I even liked pursuit as a requirement for doubling, probably puts me in the minority. Personal skills just give characters a greater feel, granted I don't want reclassing back and it seems inevitable.

I haven't played very far in FE4 but do you mean like the rings? Would it be different from scrolls though? Although, maybe they could have rings be the way to learn non-personal skills and have special events to get them like in 4. And then scrolls are used for learning the class specific skills which become locked to the character once learned? I dunno. :P

FE5 had skill scrolls which could teach a unit skills, Tellius had these as well. That's what I meant.

The rings are more like the orbs in Akaneia

FE4 technically had re-assignable skill scrolls in the Pursuit/Bargain/Elite/Prayer Rings, but the inventory system made passing them around impractical.

FE4 technically had re-assignable skill scrolls in the Pursuit/Bargain/Elite/Prayer Rings, but the inventory system made passing them around impractical.

Ah right, sorry I possibly misunderstood the comparison, but yeah that was a tad impractical.

Yeah sorry, I was thinking of the skill rings, not the stat rings, but assuming you can freely trade in if then having rings would be pretty much like reassignable scrolls just...also being able to do it during battle, which could end up being pretty broken, so maybe not. -.-

Am I the only one who would like to see characters with personalized skills like how Jugdral and Tellius did, but have class skills along with them?

Out of seven billion people on the planet, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.

Ahem...

I don't really mind, personally. The skill systems of both Tellius and Awakening had their advantages. Special skills unique to specific units could be a nice to add diversity, though.

Out of seven billion people on the planet, I'm pretty sure you're the only one.Ahem...I don't really mind, personally. The skill systems of both Tellius and Awakening had their advantages. Special skills unique to specific units could be a nice to add diversity, though.

Twas a manner of speech, since I hadn't seen it discussed on the site yet, I'd expect less of a snippy comment from a moderator however.

Special skills would add diversity though, considering if you look at Sully and Stahl. They have stat differences sure but they pretty much function the same.

My ideal scenario:

Characters all have their own personal reclass sets. However, reclassing is more like DSFE in that they may freely drop in and out of classes inbetween maps, except now they would be restricted by their own reclass sets. Skills are learnt at particular levels in a class, but are tied to that class. Basically, if you get to level 10 then you would have access to any of the level 10 skills in your reclass set. The lower tier of class skills would be exchangable with each other - to use an Awakening example, a Cavalier's Discipline could be swapped with a Myrm's Avoid+10, but the higher tier of skills (Outdoor Fighter, Vantage) would be locked to that class. I envision the same could be done for lower tier promoted class skills. I haven't really thought about how best to modify the class progression though. In addition, all characters would have a single personal, non customisable skill that remains with them across all reclasses

This would mean out of five skill slots, there's one personal, 2 lower tier customisable skills out of a character's class set, and 2 class exclusive skills.

Edited by Irysa

Twas a manner of speech, since I hadn't seen it discussed on the site yet, I'd expect less of a snippy comment from a moderator however.

Sheesh, it was a joke. Not even any kind of mean-spirited one. It's just what I do whenever someone asks an "Am I the only one...?" question. Because you never are, and I just find the wording funny. But I don't know why you're getting this worked up over it.

For what it's worth, it is possible we've already seen Kamui with a personal skill.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

personal skills (Jugdral/Tellius sorts of deals) sound pretty cool, although I also like the idea of having limited numbers of skills and being forced to think hard about who gets what

...I say this now, but I'm sure some character I hate is gonna have amazing unique skills and I'll be salty af

so, imo, personal skills > unique skills

edit: am I the only one who would like to see Jedi make a poll for this thread?

Edited by Euklyd

I'd support a combination of mastery and removable skills like in FE10.

Though a limit for the skill should return.

Each class should have the same capacity.

It was unbalanced in FE10, because marksmen and reavers had more capacity than all the other classes for some reason.

Skills like paragon, discipline or blossom should be removable all the way.

I mean honestly, with 5 slots it's not that out there of a concept, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see if any characters have an "abnormal" skill.

I thought that the sub-screen for FE:If showed room for 6 skills...

So uh, I guess the million dollar question is: will Kamui get Aether?

Possibly, if Chrom is any indication. Then again, Kamui's unique lineage might lend itself to a different signature skill. (I'm taking a guess to say that Dragon Vein will only be usable on certain maps)