Shuuda's Art Shack

Shuuda

I decided recently to get back into doing something creative and got into drawing. More recently, as in this week, I got a drawing tablet, which I've been praticing with since Saturday. I figured I'd share the fruits of my loin. I'll post them as links because the images are quite large.

Random Face - This was just some random face I doodled out to try things out.

Random Man - I'm not too confident yet in drawing people, especially in poses. I am quite fond of this one however.

From then on, I made some attempts at more ambitious projects, starring some of my favourite Pokemon as subjects:

Ampharos 20/4/15 - This was my first attempt at colouring anything, but it's pretty terrible. When I first made it, I didn't realise how out of whack the proportions were.

Ampharos 21/4/15 (Reference for pose) - For this one, I made a better effort ro follow the various tutorials. Things turned out much better, and I really like the pose I used for it this time.

Whimsicott 22/4/15 - In this one, I tried to do my own pose, though it's quite simple. I think the colouring style works nicely for this kind of Pokemon.

Eelektross 24/4/15 - Probably my most ambitous piece so far, given I tried to create the pose entirely myself. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm really not happy with the colouring.

I'm hoping at some point I can scan in some of my sketchbook for some more pictures to show. In the meantime, feel free to comment and critic the work I've posted so far.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I decided to downsize my latest image to a slightly more forum friendly size...

[spoiler=Dratini]

DR7HFYe.jpg

That said, I'm really not happy about this one. The pose didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, and I think the outline should have been thicker. The slight variation in colour is something I can take or leave in this case. They're nice and soft, but again, I think a thicker outline would've worked better.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Beedrill]

m3DjpPo.jpg

This is my attempt at another style. I also wanted to test out some different brushes. So here's a roughly drawn Beedrill.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Bayleef]

Cr06XIO.jpg

Here's another attempt at the more quick sketch style, but I'm not certain it's worked all that well this time. It's also my first attempt to make some scenery to go along with it.

Edited by Shuuda

I really like the sketchy-ness of the Bayleef and Beedrill! They have a certain aesthetic about them that is very visually pleasing. Your color choices on the water in the Bayleef picture are especially nice, and I'd say that it's a very good first attempt at scenery!

I really like the sketchy-ness of the Bayleef and Beedrill! They have a certain aesthetic about them that is very visually pleasing. Your color choices on the water in the Bayleef picture are especially nice, and I'd say that it's a very good first attempt at scenery!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm still hunting around for a good style.

[spoiler=Mantis & Engi]

2k8OF7H.jpg

For a subject matter a little bit different, here's a rough drawing depicting a scene that should be familiar to FTL players.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Engi]

Jb8L0Qb.jpg

I decided to revisit FTL and give the Engi another go with a slighly sleeker design. They may be useless for fighting off the Mantis, but they're handly folk. I also used it as an opportunity to try out a different style of outline.

Edited by Shuuda

Hey :)

From the 3 styles you have shown, I like the scetchy one the most, It gives the drawing a very vibrant and lifelike look that suites your motif really well (living things in this case, and imo your style in general), in contrast to your first style that looks imo a bit to squeaky clean and a bit flat.

The third one I cannot say much about it yet but it makes for a nice middel ground between the others, as it plays with more imperfectnes than the first while maintaining a cleaner look that the second.

Well here's another picture in the most recently style, just to give it another try out.

[spoiler=Engi & Rockman]

7gusDJW.jpg

This stars another of FTL's races, the Rockmen, displaying expert technical support.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Slug]

MxpwqRC.jpg

Today's image is a rough design for FTL's Slug race. I'm not too sure about the final choice of colour, but I just based it on the first slug image I found in a google search.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Lanius]

k4DIn8U.jpg

Image for the weekend, a rough design for FTL's metal eating Lanius race. I wanted to try out different metallic colours than what I used for the Engi, for a more sinister look. Unforunately, there were no real references to use for this one, aside from the tiny in game sprite. I wanted to avoid over doing the spikiness of the design.

So, because it's quite wonderful: the theme song by Ben Prundy.

Edited by Shuuda

Awesome FTL drawings (I'm also quite fond of your Whimsicott drawing :3). Really cool getting to see the different alien races in a more "complete" form, rather than just the tiny sprites in-game.

the FTL designs look pretty damn rad

heehee the face of that rockman is great

the slugs have that simple, but still nice design choice

and the lanius' look pretty nice with that armor look

damn cool stuff, man! :0

Thank you for the comments. I've been sick as a dog all week, so I've not been too motivated. I have however, found energy to churn this out.

[spoiler=Hypno]

xvWQZYT.jpg

I tried to blend the two styles together by thickening the brush used in the Beedrill and Bayleef art.

Here's an altnerative version without the background colour or shading lines.

Edited by Shuuda

[spoiler=Goodra]

jrDYRWk.jpg

This was the result of experimenting with altering the lines to be a bit softer. Honestly, I ended up enjoying this one a lot more than when I started.

Edited by Shuuda

So I went back and put everything in spoilers in order to clean up the thread. Plus, I have some new stuff.

[spoiler=Ampharos]g6bLSzX.jpg

For this Ampharos, I decided to apply the same style I used for my previous piece, and then I played around with some post editing. Here's what this image looks like without any editing.

I also applied the editing to my previous Goodra picture.

[spoiler=Goodra]4RtpRLK.jpg

Feel free to comment and critic.

[spoiler=Drones]v9Gg2UW.jpg

For this image, I tried to apply my new style to some FTL. This features and Engi with an assortment of drones.

[spoiler=Pablo Picasso]lWOomVg.jpg

I decided to try something a bit more ambitious with my tablet. This picture of Pablo Picasso was copied from a photograph taken by Man Ray in 1934 (here's a blurry version for reference). My sketchbook has quite a few drawings like this, because I have a number of books on Man Ray's work.

[spoiler=Sandslash]CcVfVSD.jpg

Today's image, I tried a Sandslash. I virtually gave up on this one by the end. I really don't think it turned out too great.