Blazing Sword Hack Concept

NamelessParasite

Okay, so I replayed Sacred Stones for the 50th time and had a couple of ideas running through my mind. How about this; a hack that imports mechanics from FE8 straight into FE7? And I don't mean literally everything hence my idea's already a bold enough statement, but think about it.

-Multiple promotion options.

-Rebalanced stat caps for classes. (assuming FE7's were flawed in any way)

-Eliwood and Hector's stories crammed into one giant adventure, with the Gaidens about a whole other perspective. (much like Chapter 5x in FE8 where you get to play as Ephraim while Eirika's on her way to his aid)

-Trainee classes for FE7 units that needed babying in the original. (Nino... uh, who else again?)

-Nerfed weapons/tomes. (I highly doubt it; Luna sucks in FE8 as it does lol)

-The freaking option to promote the main lords at any point and not in a cutscene.

I'm kind of running out of ideas. I'll leave it up to you amazingly talented hackers to decide whether or not this'd be a hoot to work on.

It'd be like every other rebalancing hack out there, which is to say, probably not worth working on unless it's your passion project.

yeah, rebalances usually aren't worth the trouble. And getting into hacking and understanding the programs used can be just as understood by making a unique project.

-Trainee classes for FE7 units that needed babying in the original. (Nino... uh, who else again?)

Wait; doesn't the perceived problem here just get worse if you make Nino need ten more levels to become a viable unit by making her a trainee? If you want her not to need babying, you can make her join the party earlier in the game, balance out her bases and growths, or start her at level 10 and with a guiding ring in her inventory for those who don't like Ests but still want to use her for some reason (transfer some of her growths from character growths to class growths so you don't get a super-useable sage with Est growths and no drawbacks, and she'll turn out immediately-useable but eventually-mediocre if you promote her right off the bat).

Florina comes to mind for the trainee treatment (I find trainees to be pretty useless and not-fun, but...), since she's a "pegasus knight earning her title" according to her R-button description, yet is of the Pegasus Knight class already, whose description says "Knights who've earned (past tense) the right to fly winged steeds". You'd think that Florina would be whatever is a step /below/ a Pegasus Knight to begin with. Plus, she arrives in earlygame (even in tutorial mode if you're counting that), which is a time when a trainee unit might actually be viable. Lowen would also make sense as a trainee since his description calls him a "fresh recruit" and you already get Kent and Sain as cavaliers later if you don't want to use him.

If you're giving this idea out as an idea for someone to work on, things just don't work like that in this community. You see lots of people posting ideas, but nobody's going to do anything for that idea until the person posting it has evidence of a game. It's cool seeing others' thoughts on how to fix a game, though! To end on a non-cynical note, the first thing that flashed into my mind when I saw the news of custom world map locations/paths in FE8 was "whoah, what if someone re-made FE7 or 6 with a working world map...!"

@the parentheses in the post: did someone else edit that in? Kind of weird not to leave a name or anything.

-Rebalanced stat caps for classes. (assuming FE7's were flawed in any way)

Here's the thing, though: there are two ways to go about changing class caps, unit bases, weapon stats, enemy data and the like: either you can just make some random changes that seem like a good idea, playtest it once and wind up with something that's either almost identical to base (if there's no difference, you've wasted your time) or completely unplayable due to imbalance, or you can have such a deep understanding of both FE's mechanics and FE7's current design that you can know on the fly what effects a given (tiny) stat change will have- knowledge along the lines of "giving this unit 1 more Spd will allow them to double and ORKO enemy X" or even deeper if you want to mess with exp and weapon rank timings. And, of course, you not only know what will happen but you make changes with desired effects in mind. Then your balance hack will actually be really good, though you'll still find people debating about how balanced it is so it still may not have served its purpose.

tl;dr if you think the current class caps are fine (or rather, you don't think they aren't fine), it's probably a good idea to leave them alone.

Florina comes to mind for the trainee treatment (I find trainees to be pretty useless and not-fun, but...), since she's a "pegasus knight earning her title" according to her R-button description, yet is of the Pegasus Knight class already, whose description says "Knights who've earned (past tense) the right to fly winged steeds". You'd think that Florina would be whatever is a step /below/ a Pegasus Knight to begin with. Plus, she arrives in earlygame (even in tutorial mode if you're counting that), which is a time when a trainee unit might actually be viable.

There WAS an unused trainee for fliers in FE8 known as the "probation flier", so that could be implemented.