Shouzou Kaga Announces New SRPG Studio Indie Project!

Arch

Full translation sheds some interesting light on things. Chiefly, Kaga decided to pull this together after fiddling with SRPG Studio for 10 hours? That tells me that this is something he's wanted and envisioned for some time, he stumbled across the medium that could empower it, and now his idea might come to fruition. Hypehypehype.

That aside about the music is interesting, too. Yuka Tsukiyoko obviously comes to mind first, but she still seems to be a contracted Nintendo employee? Since this is a non-commercial game, Kaga might be at liberty to take submissions from Tsukiyoko regardless, which would be awesome. Minako Seki worked on TRS with him (and presumably Berwick, too).

Edited by Arch

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I heard rumblings that Yuka Tsujiyoko went freelance. Don't quote me on that though.

But yeah, I'm impressed at his resolve. It doesn't seem to be done on a whim either, since he's pulled 10 people already, including professionals.

Too bad he can't find a sprite artist... guess it's a dying breed XD

Oh boy, I'm glad he's still up for making games, and I'll most definately give it a go.

My problem is that Shouzou Kaga games have never really worked well for me.

Flame Shield up

I only really enjoyed FE2 and TRS, despite playing all of his games except Berwick Saga.

All well, I'm still excited for this, but I still feel FE got better after he left IS.

If you like Kaga's games better, I respect your opinion, and I ask you to respect mine. No one is going to change minds here, and I'm not trying to start an arguement here. I'm just giving my 2 cents

Actually, I heard rumblings that Yuka Tsujiyoko went freelance. Don't quote me on that though.

But yeah, I'm impressed at his resolve. It doesn't seem to be done on a whim either, since he's pulled 10 people already, including professionals.

Too bad he can't find a sprite artist... guess it's a dying breed XD

Already quoted~

Would be pretty interesting to see Tsujiyoko go freelance since undoubtedly she could easily just stay FE seeing as how fast they're getting pumped out now. Maybe freelancing on the side? Would love to see this verified somehow.

Return of the king.

I wonder if he couldn't re-use the assets from Berwick Saga... probably not. Everything in that is probably copyrighted by Enterbrain. I really hope this works out.

Return of the king.

I wonder if he couldn't re-use the assets from Berwick Saga... probably not. Everything in that is probably copyrighted by Enterbrain. I really hope this works out.

Since when has copyright scared this guy

Since when has copyright scared this guy

Since he got sued by Nintendo

One thing I'm not surprised is the difficulty of finding good pixel art artists. It's a dying art, even in Japan.

Oh boy, I'm glad he's still up for making games, and I'll most definately give it a go.

My problem is that Shouzou Kaga games have never really worked well for me.

Flame Shield up

I only really enjoyed FE2 and TRS, despite playing all of his games except Berwick Saga.

All well, I'm still excited for this, but I still feel FE got better after he left IS.

If you like Kaga's games better, I respect your opinion, and I ask you to respect mine. No one is going to change minds here, and I'm not trying to start an arguement here. I'm just giving my 2 cents

More respectable opinion than "hurr awakening sux."

I agree that Kaga's games are very hit or miss. The new mechanics that he introduces are usually pretty fun but his maps are tedious. I stopped playing TRS 3/4's of the way through because the map design for the later chapters was plain sloppy.

This announcement from Kaga is still exciting news and hopefully the game will be completed successfully.

Edited by Maou

We all know that what we really want is for fans to remake Kaga Emblem games, but can't crowd-fund that oops. Can't trust IntSys's remakes ever again; not after the anachronistic Shadow Dragon and New Mystery shoehorning the avatar into the plot...

I appreciate Kaga's games largely for what they could've been, not necessarily for what you see on the cartridge. With enough time and resources, I know that he could really produce something special. We've never gotten the "perfect" Kaga SRPG (FE5 felt rushed, TRS was too long), and here's to hoping that he finally delivers what we know he can. He's got the vision, just needs to refine his execution. Apparently Berwick Saga was pretty good. I'm going to remain optimistic about this until proven otherwise.

Edited by Arch

We all know that what we really want is for fans to remake Kaga Emblem games, but can't crowd-fund that oops. Can't trust IntSys's remakes ever again; not after the anachronistic Shadow Dragon and New Mystery shoehorning the avatar into the plot...

I appreciate Kaga's games largely for what they could've been, not necessarily for what you see on the cartridge. With enough time and resources, I know that he could really produce something special. We've never gotten the "perfect" Kaga SRPG (FE5 felt rushed, TRS was too long), and here's to hoping that he finally delivers what we know he can. He's got the vision, just needs to refine his execution. Apparently Berwick Saga was pretty good. I'm going to remain optimistic about this until proven otherwise.

Berwick Saga is Kaga's "perfect" SRPG, at least to me. It's significantly better than all FE games. I strongly recommend playing it.

Well, this was a pleasantly lovely surprise. From the same blog that we thought was his for years, yeah?

So either it's someone pulling a long con, or this shit is really legit.

Either way, I'm still curious as to how this goes about. It at least caught interest, yes?

Wonder just what ideas Kaga has had brewing since Berwick Saga anyway?

Berwick Saga is Kaga's "perfect" SRPG, at least to me. It's significantly better than all FE games. I strongly recommend playing it.

Sorry if this might seem like a stupid question, but is the game relatively playable without knowledge of Japanese? I ask because I haven't heard of a complete menu translation patch as of yet.

Sorry if this might seem like a stupid question, but is the game relatively playable without knowledge of Japanese? I ask because I haven't heard of a complete menu translation patch as of yet.

Considering I know very little Japanese, yes. If you use the resources available in the wiki (thank you based Othin!) and is not afraid to fiddle with the menus, it should be playable.

I would also be glad to answer any specific questions.

Also, I asked a traveling elder to double check some of the details.

ahahah I lol'd

I should probably say something relevant before i get in trouble again

umm this seems like nothing but misplaced/overextended hype (it's nothing but talk/ideas right now) so I'm not even going to bother reporting it. I'd be more interested if there was something to show and I actually had some reason to care about this "Kaga" person (I don't really like any of the older FE games except a little bit of FE2, get at me, and also he's a guy who AFAIK hasn't done anything significant in ages and is going to have a hard time impressing me in the modern age of games and game design). I guess it's cool that people can help pitch in though, best of luck

I'm a pixel artist myself and a quite good if I have to say it myself. Sadly I don't know Japanese to directly contact him for the details of the things he actually needs (and the specifications). I'm not going to blindly work resources that may or not be useful at all, it takes quite a lot of dedication and time to make each animation and graphic to actually risk doing them for nothing. Also I know it won't ge translated to English for the time being even if completed, so I would not be able to enjoy the game I worked for at fullest and that kinda disappoints me.

I hope there are still enough Japanese pixel artists willing to do the work. I still admire him for FE1, FE2 and FE5. Based Shouzou Kaga is based.

Edited by Nyara♥

umm this seems like nothing but misplaced/overextended hype (it's nothing but talk/ideas right now) so I'm not even going to bother reporting it. I'd be more interested if there was something to show and I actually had some reason to care about this "Kaga" person (I don't really like any of the older FE games except a little bit of FE2, get at me, and also he's a guy who AFAIK hasn't done anything significant in ages and is going to have a hard time impressing me in the modern age of games and game design). I guess it's cool that people can help pitch in though, best of luck

Put your two cents in, get a dollar back :P:.

If you can't, at the very least, appreciate Kaga's contributions to the series, you ain't a real fan. He's been out of action for a decade (Berwick released in 2005). So what? Shouzou Kaga the spiritual creator of Fire Emblem, and he's announced that he's assembling staff to start developing a game. It's news, buddy. Will the game be good/bad/meh? I guess we'll figure that out when we all end up playing it.

But wait Blazer doesn't play FE he just hacks it.

Edited by Arch

Well, Kaga left on middle of the production of FE6 and FE9, and definitively you can see some influences on his style of game design in both games. Considering FE7 and FE8 uses the same motor and style as FE6, while FE10 does with FE9 (though this time more altered), and that FE11 and FE12 are direct remakes of games designed by him... well, frankly only FE13 and now FE14 are out from his influence. I think he is quite relevant because he made FE like we identify it today, if we say "hey, THAT IS FE" is because him, and that isn't because FE1 alone. Reason why you also say "IT IS FE" while playing Tear Ring Saga.

Edited by Nyara♥

Well, Kaga left on middle of the production of FE6 and FE9, and definitively you can see some influences on his style of game design in both games. Considering FE7 and FE8 uses the same motor and style as FE6, while FE10 does with FE9 (though this time more altered), and that FE11 and FE12 are direct remakes of games designed by him... well, frankly only FE13 and now FE14 are out from his influence. I think he is quite relevant because he made FE like we identify it today, if we say "hey, THAT IS FE" is because him, and that isn't because FE1 alone. Reason why you also say "IT IS FE" while playing Tear Ring Saga.

Kaga resigned from his position at IS during 1999, you can try and debate any involvement he had in 6, but he had absolutely no role in 9.

Yeessss!! awesome!! yay!! this is great!!! I am glad Kaga is back! I love his games! all of them! I played all of them and while I still love FE series even now the games seem to lack something that Kaga era games had.. I am not sure what it is but I call it the Kaga touch for now. I am glad he is back even if it is not working on FE again which I had hoped it is still gonna be another SRPG by him go Kaga!