Shouzou Kaga Announces New SRPG Studio Indie Project!

Arch

Kaga resigned from his position at IS during 1999, you can try and debate any involvement he had in 6, but he had absolutely no role in 9.

A variant of the "FE64 was recycled into another game" rumor that I mentioned had it that the game it was recycled into was Path of Radiance, based on I think some early low quality pictures from that game.

Despite the three games that came between Kaga leaving and PoR. ...yeah.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put your two cents in, get a dollar back :P:.

If you can't, at the very least, appreciate Kaga's contributions to the series, you ain't a real fan. He's been out of action for a decade (Berwick released in 2005). So what? Shouzou Kaga the spiritual creator of Fire Emblem, and he's announced that he's assembling staff to start developing a game. It's news, buddy. Will the game be good/bad/meh? I guess we'll figure that out when we all end up playing it.

But wait Blazer doesn't play FE he just hacks it.

I'm not Blazer. that scrub hacker quit a long while ago and forgot most of the art. he actually finished a hack so of course he'd move on to greater things *shot*

as for your comment on me being a fan, I'm lazy so I'm going to cop out and link you to this, though it probably won't convince you of anything

besides I'm just a grumpy spiteful loser, you should ignore me anyway :P I was almost going to say something serious about this project just now but I deleted it, thank goodness

Put your two cents in, get a dollar back :P:.

If you can't, at the very least, appreciate Kaga's contributions to the series, you ain't a real fan. He's been out of action for a decade (Berwick released in 2005). So what? Shouzou Kaga the spiritual creator of Fire Emblem, and he's announced that he's assembling staff to start developing a game. It's news, buddy. Will the game be good/bad/meh? I guess we'll figure that out when we all end up playing it.

But wait Blazer doesn't play FE he just hacks it.

What the hell? I don't really care much about this news since, like Blazer I don't really like most of the original FEs (except 4 the story in that game is awesome). Saying that me or someone else is not a "real" fan of Fire Emblem when we don't care much about this guy, who didn't work on any of the games that I and many others grew to love Fire Emblem with (FE7, FE8, FE9 and FE10), is just... really fucking insulting.

Edited by Matt Snow

I didn't mean to be insulting, but honestly, you have to at least be able to acknowledge his contributions in creating the series we've all gathered here to discuss. FE wouldn't be the same without Kaga's creative influence, he defined it from the outset. Its kind of insulting to Kaga that "fans" of his brain child shrug their shoulders at him and discredit his role. Ya don't have to love the games he directed, just show some respect instead of trying to swoop in and hate on people's hype.

The godfather is back! The guy who helped set the stage for this entire spiritual reboot revolution we're experiencing today, no less.

Edited by Arch

Those games would not exist without Kaga's past endeavours, even if you don't like them. He did pretty much craft the strategy RPG genre out of obscurity from FE1, mind.

Edited by Tryhard

Since he got sued by Nintendo

One thing I'm not surprised is the difficulty of finding good pixel art artists. It's a dying art, even in Japan.

I wonder if there are actually fewer such artists then there were back in the day. Sure, the percentage is fewer, but the number of game developers nowadays is so vast that it leads to a larger number, especialy due to the sheer amount of nostalgia fueled indy games that use pixel art, such as shovel knight. This is probably just an idiosyncrasy of kaga's group of 10 friends, or a reflection of the fact that good artists are always rare, no matter the setting.

Edited by sirmola

Oh boy, I'm glad he's still up for making games, and I'll most definately give it a go.

My problem is that Shouzou Kaga games have never really worked well for me.

Flame Shield up

I only really enjoyed FE2 and TRS, despite playing all of his games except Berwick Saga.

All well, I'm still excited for this, but I still feel FE got better after he left IS.

If you like Kaga's games better, I respect your opinion, and I ask you to respect mine. No one is going to change minds here, and I'm not trying to start an arguement here. I'm just giving my 2 cents

Yeah, I respect the man and everything, but early Fire Emblem is just...not my thing at all. I'll acknowledge that even the FE games that I do like owe a lot to his work precedent-wise, but doesn't quite make me interested in this or the PS games.

I actually played equal game by him and not by him.

FE2 haven't aged that well but is still fun, FE4 is pretty great and epic, despite all the backtracking, and FE5 have lots of cool gameplay ideas and nails atmosphere like few games does.

On the ones he didn't worked (directly at least) (excludind FE9/10 because I didn't played them) FE6 was a major step back gameplay-wise, FE7 was my first FE and I spend too much time on it, but it was an all around OK game. FE8 was really fun. I have really few interest for FE11, FE12 was quite well made gameplay wise (I should finish it one day though...), and Awakening was fun but "empty"(none of the additions had weight, and were there just to look cool.).

This doesn't seems to be a highly ambitious project (though it may leads to more if it got succesfull), but this is still worth keeping an eye on it.

So I'm not particularily hyped, but colour me interrested.

Edited by Tamanoir

I'm mildly interested in this announcement. I always found that the GBA FE games were a step back compared to FE4 and FE5 overall, and those games were full of great ideas (though not always implemented optimally). I never liked FE3 much and I did not play the ones before that, but I really appreciates that console srpg games basically come from him.

The thing is, this project is barely starting the design phase. There's a large chance that this project will never get off the ground. Even if it does, I'd be very surprised if anything came out before late 2016 at the earliest. It's also basically a "free fan game": while there's of course some high-quality games that fit under that label, it's much easier to have a "meh, good enough" approach for a completely free game. I'd honestly feel more confident in the project if it was planned to be a paid game even if the cost would be very low. I hope I'll be proven wrong though!

To be honest, what impressed me the most is that SRPG studio application. It looks pretty darn good; I've played a ton of srpg games that looks way worse than that and it seems to be acceptably flexible. It looks like it could be an awesome tool for people that wants to create srpg games and it's definitively a whole lot easier/better than having to hack existing games... If only it was in English too..

But yeah, regarding the main topic, I'll be keeping a loose eye on this game. I'm not actually expecting it to come out, but I would certainly play it if it does. Although if I see unmarked warp tiles anywhere, I'm out.

Update: Kaga mentions that he has found enough helpers and is no longer seeking assistance. He thanks everyone for co-operating and warns that he will remove his recruitment post soon.

There was me worried his project wouldn't get any traction.

Actually, I was worried he canned his project at first.

Edited by VincentASM

"Oh fuck, communal submissions have been going for two days and all I've got is an e-mail box full of mismatching incomplete stuff sent by people who didn't read the directions..." Welcome to our lives, Kaga.

inb4 he calls up Inafune and figures out how kickstarter works. Even if he still intends to release it as freeware, Kaga could probably get enough funding to make the game and pay his small staff.

Edited by Arch

If I am understanding your attitude right, you aren't hyped for FE14 at all, so that isn't saying much :p

Poor choice of words. English not being my first language is showing.

I guess his 'staff' is about us.

anyway i wait for Kaga's reply tomorrow

It might mean that there's been such a strong outpouring of support already that he feels he should have enough contributors to get things completed. Either that, or he has something specific in mind. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

dammit i'm really hoping that we're included in this

Update: Kaga mentions that he has found enough helpers and is no longer seeking assistance. He thanks everyone for co-operating and warns that he will remove his recruitment post soon.
Edited by GhastStation

Holy shit, English isn't your first language? I would have never guessed that. (this post is not sarcasm)

Nope. Learned it school as the primary teaching medium but it's not the language I speak in everyday life (that would be Marathi).

Anyway, what I meant was that I'm not all that excited for FE14 but this is very interesting to me.

Well, this is actually pretty cool. Since it's freeware, hopefully somebody can translate it pretty soon after release, since you don't have to worry about emulation or modding tools.

Although it would be much cooler if he were to make an actual game for the Wii U, which is pretty lacking in RPGs of all kinds.

After playing around with the program I have discovered there is a term editor that you can easily translate many Key words such as "Attack" or "Continue" inside the program. Under each display word (The Japanese word that shows in the game) there is a English code word, Basically you just write what's under each Japanese word and you have a partly translated game. This will take some time to edit and you will have to do it over again every new project but makes the experience easier until a fan translation comes out.

Well, this is actually pretty cool. Since it's freeware, hopefully somebody can translate it pretty soon after release, since you don't have to worry about emulation or modding tools.

Although it would be much cooler if he were to make an actual game for the Wii U, which is pretty lacking in RPGs of all kinds.

There were rumours that he retired. So he probably doesn't have the time and energy to work on fully fledged console games.

In all likelihood, he wouldn't be making any more games at all, if he didn't decide to go indie.