Merric or Ellerean

Or both? Already using Linde and Malicia.

Thus far I've always been using Merric with both girls. But I feel an extra mage/healing unit might be welcome in Lunatic.

How would Etzel be? Better then both? Or will he be surpassed quickly?

Etzel has a staff rank lead (8 staff usages away from C as a Bishop and ~3 more chapters worth of time to train it) over Merric. Merric has more Spd so he probably doesn't get doubled by huge amounts of enemies lategame if he can't OHKO back. Both are very usable, most of their combat will just be killing Wyverns and DKs though. Linde usually pulls the main mage work by using Nosferatu and Levin Sword. Elrean is pretty much just a weaker copy of Merric by not having Excalibur right off the bat.

Edited by Gradivus.

They're both pretty similar. Merric had easy Excalibur access and a better speed growth, which is probably worth more than an actual tome rank and the marginal defense advantage Ellerean might have.

Merric comes with Excalibur, and has better growths.

Ellerean has slightly better base stats and will end up bulkier than Merric.

They're both usable, but it depends on what you need out of a mage. If you want to see a bunch of green numbers, go with Merric. If you want a front-line mage in lategame, go with Ellerean.

If you're doing this just on appearances. . .uh, your call. Ellerean's personality sort of cancel his good looks :P:

You don't have to, you can just give one of Nyna or Maria the rescue staff so Merric can reach Elice without getting trained (and chances are, even a trained Merric can't reach without a Rescue use). I guess he can use a Mend staff on Marth if you want to 1-turn C24 for some reason.

As for the frontline mage thing eclipse mentioned, Elrean's (slight) defensive advantage probably still won't get him into 3HKO range on H3.

Edited by Gradivus.

My data's based off of H1, not H3. IMO, it's pretty funny when the wyverns in chapter 21 avoid Ellerean because he's too tanky.

The TC asked about H3 though, so I pointed it out anyway. It's also funny when the C21 wyverns attack Linde because she's too non-tanky, but don't deal any damage thanks to nostank :P

In which case, the answer is "Linde" (because Resire is THAT strong). If an Excalibur user is really necessary, then Etzel.

Merric has nice growths, but will he have time to utilize them, given the 1-2 range of the more dangerous enemies? Ellerean's in the same boat, but needs to rely on Thoron crits over Excaliblick.

In which case, the answer is "Linde" (because Resire is THAT strong). If an Excalibur user is really necessary, then Etzel.

Merric has nice growths, but will he have time to utilize them, given the 1-2 range of the more dangerous enemies? Ellerean's in the same boat, but needs to rely on Thoron crits over Excaliblick.

So what you really mean is; don't use Merric or Ellerean at all? Since I am already using Linde and Malicia. Malicia is mainly a cleric though.

How much worse would Merric be, if I promote him right away? I think his bases will become better then Etzel that way, only staff rate will be lower.

So what you really mean is; don't use Merric or Ellerean at all? Since I am already using Linde and Malicia. Malicia is mainly a cleric though.

How much worse would Merric be, if I promote him right away? I think his bases will become better then Etzel that way, only staff rate will be lower.

Etzel's got a +3 Magic lead on Merric, so even with an auto-promotion, the latter will lag behind. I don't know whether or not that lead will mess with KO numbers, though. Ellerean's bases are a bit closer to Etzel, where it matters (except for Magic, where Etzel still has a +2 lead). However, Ellerean requires the Arms Scroll to use Excalibur. . .and will be a lot less accurate that Etzel (Merric fares slightly better, in terms of Skill, but not much). Ellerean also faces existent crit forever, and can't take a magical hit to save his life.

IMO, I'd give both Thoron and Excalibur to Etzel, and call it a day.

Etzel's got a +3 Magic lead on Merric, so even with an auto-promotion, the latter will lag behind. I don't know whether or not that lead will mess with KO numbers, though. Ellerean's bases are a bit closer to Etzel, where it matters (except for Magic, where Etzel still has a +2 lead). However, Ellerean requires the Arms Scroll to use Excalibur. . .and will be a lot less accurate that Etzel (Merric fares slightly better, in terms of Skill, but not much). Ellerean also faces existent crit forever, and can't take a magical hit to save his life.

IMO, I'd give both Thoron and Excalibur to Etzel, and call it a day.

Just checked, Etzels base stats are actually higher then I remember. Especially that SKILL. With auto-promotion Ellerean or Merric only gets better with doubling. Which was the main reason I disliked in Etzel. I can't seem to find the weight of weapons, was it might=weight? Should I drop a Energy Ring on Etzel?

Edited by SSJDennis

Weapons don't have weight in FE12. Don't drop an Energy Ring on him unless it's necessary for him to blick some wyverns.

Weapons don't have weight in FE12. Don't drop an Energy Ring on him unless it's necessary for him to blick some wyverns.

Energy Drops only increase Strength, so unless Etzel suddenly picks up a bow, the Energy Drop will be wasted on him.

Spirit Dusts are what's needed for Magic.

Edited by eclipse