Thoughts on Garon and his role in both paths.

I know he seems to be the typical big bad and all but what if he isn't as bad as we think he is? Judging from the Nohr siblings (Presuming he is the father of course) behavior and their affection towards Kamui could mean he isn't really a bad guy... or it could mean that he's an evil bastard that happens to love his kin.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the latter. From what I remember in the trailers, even Marx is skeptical of Garon's actions. Combine that with the fact that you're supposed to revolutionize Nohr from within in the Nohr route, and fight off Nohr in the Hoshido route, it seems like Garon would be the antagonist from both sides. I made a thread yesterday theorizing that both games tell 2 different perspectives from the same story, with each game being slightly different in the story, in that Kamui can only influence one path.

I would say the latter. From what I remember in the trailers, even Marx is skeptical of Garon's actions. Combine that with the fact that you're supposed to revolutionize Nohr from within in the Nohr route, and fight off Nohr in the Hoshido route, it seems like Garon would be the antagonist from both sides. I made a thread yesterday theorizing that both games tell 2 different perspectives from the same story, with each game being slightly different in the story, in that Kamui can only influence one path.

I know and know but...

Well, there's nothing wrong with wishful thinking... Man, I just wish Aqua would turn out to be evil and Garon turning out to be a pretty decent guy.

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

I'm sure that, at best, Garon turns out to be a tragic villain - one whose motives have good intentions but he went down the wrong path about it. Not the best examples, but both Gangrel and Walhart in Awakening (if you bother to recruit them) eventually reveal that they both had good intentions for their countries, especially Walhart, but his plan to unify Valm turned into a crusade for conquest. Maybe, just maybe, Garon could be of a similar nature.

But I wouldn't count on it. It's more of whishful thinking, but I bet he's evil through and through, judging by Marx comment about him etc.

I agree with this guy.

I don't see why Aqua needs to be evil. If anything, I'd rather it be the Hoshido Queen.

Nah, I seriously doubt the Hoshido woman(queen or otherwise) is evil.

Or even better yet, Garon turns out to be a totally well meaning and likable guy that has to deal with being judged due to his appearance, and has no social grace leading to further misunderstanding.

Imagine that, plot twist of the century!

Or even better yet, Garon turns out to be a totally well meaning and likable guy that has to deal with being judged due to his appearance, and has no social grace leading to further misunderstanding.

Look in the Robin thread on smashboards. There's quite the St. Garon cult worshiping going on. :3

I don't see why Aqua needs to be evil. If anything, I'd rather it be the Hoshido Queen.

And I don't see why she needs to be evil. :P We don't even know her name yet or what she even is.

Edited by Kamui-of-Nohr

It's not that surprising if you thought of it, I've thought of the idea of Garon being a good guy too, probably a lot of people thought of it: the fact is he is so definitely a villain, that I would honestly be more surprised if the game doesn't give ANY moral ambiguity what so ever to him (I think he's gonna still be a villain but with some gray zone), considering that the game seems to go a for a non-black-and-white choice motif. Heck people even thought of the possibility of Aqua as the villain, it would be cool and subversive but not the most surprising twist in a video game ever or anything.

didn't bravery default do something kind of similar

Edited by weso12

I'm wondering if Garon is dragon blooded or if his kids got it from their mothers side (or both, considering how royals marry for alliances a lot of the nobility in both countries probably has traces of dragon blood)

But it'd be kind of interesting if he didn't.

Yeah, I do hope he is a villain in the gray, I just feel his design is so in-your-face evil. I mean, he doesn't even look anything like his children and has goddamn grey skin, it's the exact same thing as Validar in Awakening. At this point I'd accept an explanation that Garon just freaking kidnapped all his "children" or some random crap, knowing that in-game they'll probably never make mention of this.

I just hope if they do add any moral ambiguity to his actions or any justification, it occurs while he's alive and isn't hearsay spoken by other characters, like Walhart.

Also, I think it'd be hilarious if Aqua ended up the true final villain. Since we have no confirmation on how she was treated in Hoshido, just watch her hate everyone, Hoshido for her mistreatment, Nohr for failing to get her back, and Kamui for 'taking' her place in her family.

To be quite honest as evil as they are making Garon to be I could see him being alot like Walhart in alot of ways. Sure maybe conquering your neighbors in brutal campaigns might not be the best way to go about things but maybe he's doing it because of a unseen threat. I mean we still don't know alot about the monsters or the big mouth of truth golem in the first trailer. It could be that he's trying to unite the world to stand a fighting chance against some other threat. I think thats what Walhart was doing because he knew about Grima coming back or something along those lines.

Yeah, I do hope he is a villain in the gray, I just feel his design is so in-your-face evil. I mean, he doesn't even look anything like his children and has goddamn grey skin, it's the exact same thing as Validar in Awakening. At this point I'd accept an explanation that Garon just freaking kidnapped all his "children" or some random crap, knowing that in-game they'll probably never make mention of this.

I just hope if they do add any moral ambiguity to his actions or any justification, it occurs while he's alive and isn't hearsay spoken by other characters, like Walhart.

Also, I think it'd be hilarious if Aqua ended up the true final villain. Since we have no confirmation on how she was treated in Hoshido, just watch her hate everyone, Hoshido for her mistreatment, Nohr for failing to get her back, and Kamui for 'taking' her place in her family.

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. But the way she's portrayed in official art and her class, something tells me she would be this divine, goody two shoes. I can't really see her hating anybody. at best, she would have some resentment.

That actually makes a whole lot of sense. But the way she's portrayed in official art and her class, something tells me she would be this divine, goody two shoes. I can't really see her hating anybody. at best, she would have some resentment.

I agree completely. I keep picturing the trailer, where everyone is calling out for Kamui... "Nii-sama!" and I was like, what about Aqua? Nobody seems concerned about her.

And while she looks innocent, this is the guy who wrote bloody monday. Everyone who looks "good" is a traitor.

Anyone remember this part?

http://www.mangachapter.me/3547/bloody-monday/28-4.html

http://www.mangachapter.me/3547/bloody-monday/29.html

Boom. Capped in the head. And Aqua has a lot of similarities to her character.

I agree completely. I keep picturing the trailer, where everyone is calling out for Kamui... "Nii-sama!" and I was like, what about Aqua? Nobody seems concerned about her.

And while she looks innocent, this is the guy who wrote bloody monday. Everyone who looks "good" is a traitor.

Anyone remember this part?

http://www.mangachapter.me/3547/bloody-monday/28-4.html

http://www.mangachapter.me/3547/bloody-monday/29.html

Boom. Capped in the head. And Aqua has a lot of similarities to her character.

Like I said in another thread, can he really decide the outcome of the story and characters? We know not. This is a game after all, all potential stories and good plot-twists would still be scrapped if they interfere with the gameplay.

Edited by Ryo

With the info we have right now, it's looking a lot like Garon's the antagonist of both sides. It would be interesting if they shocked him and made him the villain of neither; perhaps Marx made up rumors about his father's rule because he wants power and maybe the Hoshidan ruler made Aqua a slave and wants to recapture her. My only problem with Marx or Aqua being the big baddy is that they're playable characters before they become enemies and I'm not sure how that would work, difficulty wise.

One of the screenshots on the Famitsu scans shows Garon saying "Make Kamui suffer but don't kill him" and the purple text box indicates this is on the Nohr route. I think his villainy is pretty set in stone.

My bet is, based solely on his appearance, that he's irredeemably evil.

But since Marx begins to doubt his father is evil enough to do x, maybe he wasn't always that way and got his kids presents each Christmas. Maybe he's possessed, or something traumatic happened to make him be this way. Or maybe he's a well-intentioned extremist and knows things we don't know and he's trying to move his chess piece to counter another threat on the horizon.

OR MAYBE...

Possessed? Is this going to be Sacred Stones, but instead of your best friend it's your father?

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be too happy if they made it so that Garon was possessed, or something similar. I took the scene where Marx was doubting his father more of Marx realizing what his father was really like, or something along those lines (and that's where the presumed Nohr rebellion from inside begins yada yada).

It seems pretty obvious that Garon is going to be the antagonist, I just hope IS can surprise us with something and make him more interesting than how his really boring design makes him out to be.

One of the screenshots on the Famitsu scans shows Garon saying "Make Kamui suffer but don't kill him" and the purple text box indicates this is on the Nohr route. I think his villainy is pretty set in stone.

Really? I have not seen this yet. Please link it to me so I can read it myself.

Well... The smallest, tiniest possibility of Garon being a decent guy who has been making some bad decisions lately has been thrown into the trash...

He's just misunderstood!

He could still care about his birth children though, or at least like a normal parent would do. Elise doesn't look like the type of child who had to grow up in pressure/domestic abuse (the other three are hard to say though).

Edited by Ryo