Thoughts on Garon and his role in both paths.

He could still care about his birth children though, or at least like a normal parent would do. Elise doesn't look like the type of child who had to grow up in pressure/domestic abuse (the other three are hard to say though).

Maybe Elise is one of those "stepford smiler" archetypes?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly, everyone else wanted to kill Kamui, and Garon said that to appease people while looking out for Kamui's well-being . I actually think the idea of Garon originally being good but slowly descending into evil until present time sorta funny, just because of Garon's general appearance.

"Dad, your skin is turning grey, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine just plotting the destruction of our neighbours and maybe finding you a new sibling, go back to sleep."

Well... The smallest, tiniest possibility of Garon being a decent guy who has been making some bad decisions lately has been thrown into the trash...

Depends on your idea of "decent" Take the Sengoku Jidai period of Japanese history for example. Civil War lasted for years until Oda Nobunaga burned down several Bhuddist warrior monk temples, restructured the economy, and essentially plotted, betrayed, and destroyed all opposition. Then Hideyoshi took over when he was betrayed and finished the job, and finally Ieyasu Tokugawa established a Unified Japan.

Sure it looks like Garon is evil but he may just be a product of his time. Sometimes strong central leadership is needed to force people to play nice. It would be interesting if instead of making Garon the bad guy they took this route where he was forced to unite a fractured Nohr which had been launched into a dark age and perhaps the Hoshido aren't as peaceful as they seem. But I doubt this is actually the case, I mean Garon kidnapped Kamui. Unless of course it was a way to force peace between the two countries like how Japanese Daimyo used to exchange hostages.

Kidnapping babies tends to put a fork in most men's chances at being seen in a positive light.

"Heavy is the hand that wears the crown"

Edited by Shadow Knight

Clearly, everyone else wanted to kill Kamui, and Garon said that to appease people while looking out for Kamui's well-being . I actually think the idea of Garon originally being good but slowly descending into evil until present time sorta funny, just because of Garon's general appearance.

"Dad, your skin is turning grey, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine just plotting the destruction of our neighbours and maybe finding you a new sibling, go back to sleep."

I feel awful for laughing at this. Through, I wonder why Garon would take Kamui after killing Daddy Hoshido. Yeah, they got Aqua as a prisoner but Garon could've killed Kamui right then and there.

He could still care about his birth children though, or at least like a normal parent would do. Elise doesn't look like the type of child who had to grow up in pressure/domestic abuse (the other three are hard to say though).

Maybe Elise is one of those "stepford smiler" archetypes?

It could be that Garon didn't take an active role in their parenting and the raising of the Nohr children was handled first by their mother and then by the older siblings for the younger. Camilla for best oneesama of 2015 Garon seems like a serious, aloof guy so it wouldn't surprise me if his children only knew him from a distance.

One of the screenshots on the Famitsu scans shows Garon saying "Make Kamui suffer but don't kill him" and the purple text box indicates this is on the Nohr route. I think his villainy is pretty set in stone.

Well, it also confirms that he could be more MORE evil. I mean, he could torture Kamui and kill him/her too. So compared to absolute evil, he's not that bad!

Supposedly the writer this time around is widely considered good, not a true prodigy of our time, but good, and story seems to be more of a priority this time around compared to previous installments. That said, I remain skeptical; Fire Emblem has a history of weak storylines and average writing when it comes to pretty much anything that isn't character interactions. As much as I'd want depth in Garon's character, I expect none other than him possibly having been a good guy in the past.

Edited by Thane

Stepford sister ? Huh, what is it ? Could you tell me more about it ?

Clearly, it's Kamui who is in the wrong.

Kamul: 'sup dad, since we're in the beginning of a Fire Emblem, I had to gain some gold, it's in the script, so I took some from the royal treasury. Apparently, I got to do a rebellion against you or some stuff. Sorry gotta go. See you at breakfast tomorrow.

Supposedly the writer this time around is widely considered good, not a true prodigy of our time, but good, and story seems to be more of a priority this time around compared to previous installments. That said, I remain skeptical; Fire Emblem has a history of weak storylines and average writing when it comes to pretty much anything that isn't character interactions. As much as I'd want depth in Garon's character, I expect none other than him possibly having been a good guy in the past.

Eh, I just hope they won't be all 'This guy kidnapped you, killed your biological dad, destroyed half of the world, always cheated at poker, loved to read lolicon doujin, and is overall an asshole, but I really feel bad for him.'

Like, you know, there is a moment where you have to stop the friendship and rainbow bull.

Edited by B.Leu

Nevermind, for some reason I read 'stepford smiler' as 'stepford sister'...

Still thank you for the answer, and for tolerating my stupidity.

Eh, I just hope they won't be all 'This guy kidnapped you, killed your biological dad, destroyed half of the world, always cheated at poker, loved to read lolicon doujin, and is overall an asshole, but I really feel bad for him.'

Like, you know, there is a moment where you have to stop the friendship and rainbow bull.

They didn't do that with Validar though.

Oh well, I've got zero expectations for Garon as a character due to Fire Emblem's track record of villains. Naturally, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I mean, villains don't get much worse than Nergal, so there's always that.

They didn't do that with Validar though.

Oh well, I've got zero expectations for Garon as a character due to Fire Emblem's track record of villains. Naturally, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. I mean, villains don't get much worse than Nergal, so there's always that.

They didn't do anything with Validar period. :p

Which is freaking pathetic actually, when you know that he is supposed to be

Robin's father. And the whole thing is given. Two. Lines. In the same chapter. And never really mentioned again. No development. No anything. Just blabla fate and blablabla friendship.

Eh, for me Nergal was great, he had badass moments and a good, detailed, backstory.

Edited by B.Leu

Yeah I don't see it. I think Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword is, in terms of story and most characters, a complete and utter joke. To put it simply, I feel absolutely nothing for Validar as a character because, as previously pointed out, they did nothing with him, but at least he wasn't a failure like Nergal. There's so much that just made me either laugh out loud or just roll my eyes when it came to Nergal, like that random super mega explosion attack he used before he left the main characters, with Athos stating that he could have killed them if he wanted to...but didn't because reasons, which seems to be the recurring theme of that game.

And of course, his modus operandi is the only one which tops even the Persona 3 villains' one in terms of stupidity: kill people off-screen so I can collect this form of energy which good people have more of and do stuff and then take over the world somehow.

I doubt Garon will be that lame, even if he will most likely fit, as Crysta put it, the "I'M EVIL BWAHAHA" trope.

Edited by Thane

Convenient plot devices and cliche's aside, I still feel I got a much better idea of who Nergal was as a person (mostly because he had more dialogue). I'm with you on the story line in general though lol.

Awakening had little tidbits (Chrom's father being a huge dick, Validar being Avvie's father and actually getting a chick to bone him and being the head honcho of a cult influential enough to actually get him in Gangrel's position after he kicks the bucket) which could have made it much better to explore but the game glosses over it. Which in some ways makes it even more disappointing. It's like teasing a starving man with fruit, then biting into it and finding out it's made of wax.

But it's a game, not a novel, I guess.

I'm getting Charles zi Britannia vibes from Garon. Which frightens me. He might turn into a pink sparkle rocket and try to choke Kamui after he hacks into God.

For those who don't get the Code Geass reference, it would generally be horrible.

Convenient plot devices and cliche's aside, I still feel I got a much better idea of who Nergal was as a person (mostly because he had more dialogue). I'm with you on the story line in general though lol.

Awakening had little tidbits (Chrom's father being a huge dick, Validar being Avvie's father and actually getting a chick to bone him and being the head honcho of a cult influential enough to actually get him in Gangrel's position after he kicks the bucket) which could have made it much better to explore but the game glosses over it. Which in some ways makes it even more disappointing. It's like teasing a starving man with fruit, then biting into it and finding out it's made of wax.

But it's a game, not a novel, I guess.

I'm getting Charles zi Britannia vibes from Garon. Which frightens me. He might turn into a pink sparkle rocket and try to choke Kamui after he hacks into God.

For those who don't get the Code Geass reference, it would generally be horrible.

Oh I agree, they didn't do nearly enough with Validar, but at least Validar didn't make me laugh out loud, nor did he detract much from the game; he's just there, whereas Nergal makes Blazing Sword impossible to take seriously.

Actually, Code Geass is one of those anime I've watched because everyone's always praising it, and smugly suggesting that you'll start loving anime once you start watching Code Geass, and I hated every minute of it. If there are any distinct parallels, I'll most likely not enjoy the game whatsoever.

Stepford sister ? Huh, what is it ? Could you tell me more about it ?

Clearly, it's Kamui who is in the wrong.

Kamul: 'sup dad, since we're in the beginning of a Fire Emblem, I had to gain some gold, it's in the script, so I took some from the royal treasury. Apparently, I got to do a rebellion against you or some stuff. Sorry gotta go. See you at breakfast tomorrow.

Obviously Garon's line about Kamui is just being taken out of context.

The full quote reads [For the crime of stealing my toast at breakfast] make Kamui suffer but don't kill him [because killing someone over a piece of toast would be pretty ridiculous.]

Edited by NekoKnight

The full quote reads [For the crime of stealing my toast at breakfast] make Kamui suffer but don't kill him [because killing someone over a piece of toast would be pretty ridiculous.]

See? Poor misunderstood Garon... tries to be reasonable and everyone thinks he's evil.

We need to start a movement to protect his innocent and pure heart! I mean, where do you think Elise got it from, her mother? Pfft.

Well, when you see that can recruit an freaking army (Seriously, just how units there was in this ?) in Blazing Sword, for the sole purpose of searching Eli's dad, then stopping such an incredible powerful and large army that it will be forgotten in 10-20 years... Yeah, the story wasn't the most shiny thing ever.

But the characters were great. Imo anyway.

No joke Sherlock. :p

Oh I agree, they didn't do nearly enough with Validar, but at least Validar didn't make me laugh out loud, nor did he detract much from the game; he's just there, whereas Nergal makes Blazing Sword impossible to take seriously.

You can't take Nergal seriously, but you can take seriously a underdeveloped crawny guy with a stupid haircut, a man cleavage a disapointing spell, and no backstory whatsoever ? And who's speak nonsense every five second ?... Eh, they both spend a lot of time doing the last one. But Nergi did it right. :p

And this explain everything. Kamui stole a chololate toast. The thing is, chocolate is very hard to find, and Garon is addicted to it.
That's explain why he has such a strange skincolor: he ate too much chocolate.

Edited by B.Leu