Do you think things would have gone better, if Nyna had chosen Marth over Haridn?

I headcanon that if you get the bad ending of FE1, Marth marries Nyna instead of Hardin. Marth, already depressed from Caeda's death, went into full on depression territory when, like Hardin, learned that Nyna didn't love him. As such, Dark Emperor Marth becomes a reality, and Tiki becomes FE 3's main character alongside Hardin

I headcanon that if you get the bad ending of FE1, Marth marries Nyna instead of Hardin. Marth, already depressed from Caeda's death, went into full on depression territory when, like Hardin, learned that Nyna didn't love him. As such, Dark Emperor Marth becomes a reality, and Tiki becomes FE 3's main character alongside Hardin

...Did Marth even want her love though? If anything, I'd think he'd be fully acceptant of his arranged marriage. Heck, that might actually help the two come together; Nyna would probably appreciate him STILL being kind to her anyway, as he is want to do.

EDIT: Because for anyone not in the know, arranged marriages...actually don't tend to work out as badly as we like to stereotype them. Sure, you generally won't ever have that full on "passionate love" that Western society loves to glorify...but on the other hand, the two DO generally learn to like each other a lot more over time. So you'll at least have that "friendship love", as well as a pretty solid "commitment love" that tends to be missing in a lot of the rather...volatile, haphazard relationships that teenagers tend to form.

Other societies may not do well on passionate love...but on the flipside, America seems to really struggle with commitment love.

Edited by FionordeQuester

...Did Marth even want her love though? If anything, I'd think he'd be fully acceptant of his arranged marriage. Heck, that might actually help the two come together; Nyna would probably appreciate him STILL being kind to her anyway, as he is want to do.

EDIT: Because for anyone not in the know, arranged marriages...actually don't tend to work out as badly as we like to stereotype them. Sure, you generally won't ever have that full on "passionate love" that Western society loves to glorify...but on the other hand, the two DO generally learn to like each other a lot more over time. So you'll at least have that "friendship love", as well as a pretty solid "commitment love" that tends to be missing in a lot of the rather...volatile, haphazard relationships that teenagers tend to form.

Picture it like this, Marth loved Caeda, but due to her dying in the War of Shadows, he and she couldn't be together. Here comes Nyna suddenly professing her love for Marth, and Marth feels like he's gotten a second chance of sorts, only for that to be taken the SECOND he finds out he was being used. He may not of wanted Nyna's love initially, but his "second chance" at love being ruined would push someone as idealistic as Marth over the edge.

Picture it like this, Marth loved Caeda, but due to her dying in the War of Shadows, he and she couldn't be together. Here comes Nyna suddenly professing her love for Marth, and Marth feels like he's gotten a second chance of sorts, only for that to be taken the SECOND he finds out he was being used. He may not of wanted Nyna's love initially, but his "second chance" at love being ruined would push someone as idealistic as Marth over the edge.

Except, why would Nyna even bother with the pretense? She probably pretended to love Hardin because she knew that he might not agree to it otherwise (since he actually DID have feelings for her, unlike Marth). But with Marth, there wouldn't be any need to do that. He'd know just as well as she did that their marriage was one based on political necessity, not romance.

Y'know what to be a bit more topical than questioning how the Pegasus Trio is so blind to not see that Zeke is Camus, but it might not have gone better but it might have slowed everything if Nyna had told Hardin "This is a political marriage" it would't be unheard of I imagine given the based time period.

Picture it like this, Marth loved Caeda, but due to her dying in the War of Shadows

This is a great example, Had the war of shadows never happens Marth's father would have looked for at least Elice a marriage that would strengthen the country's connection to one of the other major nations, So he would have looked at Hardin or Michalis. Again, no love, just the idea of making two kingdoms stronger. Marth would have been urged to look at other major kingdoms as no offence to Tylas but it's nothing spectacular in the way of military strength or political power so Ceada wouldn't be candidate number one on Marth's "Go hit on these people list" that his farther gave him. With political marriage your only hope is the two can grow to love each other. Not like Nyna never can because she has clear issues in this area and if they exited should see a therapist. Hardin didn't help himself. Hardin also didn't help himself. He could have just left Nyna on his own and, well had an affair...Again would have helped there if Nyna said it was a political marriage as he'd be able to do that with zero guilt, Then again Hardin's just too good for her.

With political marriage your only hope is the two can grow to love each other. Not like Nyna never can because she has clear issues in this area and if they exited should see a therapist. Hardin also didn't help himself. He could have just left Nyna on his own and, well had an affair...Again would have helped there if Nyna said it was a political marriage as he'd be able to do that with zero guilt, Then again Hardin's just too good for her.

Well...I mean, if we want to get really technical, kings in real life tended to have concubines. There'd be the woman they married, and then the women they actually WANTED to have sex with. This, as you can imagine, did not work out well at all for the women. They'd spend their whole lives fighting over the love and affection of the male, there would be inheritance issues up the wazoo, jealousy, strife...and then the actual wife would live an empty life as the woman who was unwanted by the man.

So no, Hardin should not have sought an affair. He doesn't exactly have any other alternative, other than hope that Nyna eventually gets over Camus. Otherwise, well...The fact is, Boah and Nyna got her and Hardin trapped in a terrible situation, and there just wasn't much to be done about it.

I hear about Dark Emperor Marth, but what about Dark Empress Nyna? That could've happened as well

...Huh. You know what? That's a good point!! I could very easily see that working! Just give her a magic tome, and you'd even have yourself an intimidating end-game boss!

I hear about Dark Emperor Marth, but what about Dark Empress Nyna? That could've happened as well

If Gharnef could've found a replacement for Nyna in his grand plan, maybe? Caeda/Minerva aren't exactly priestesses.

Do you guys think that instead of turning into "Dark Emperor Marth", he decides to run off and live with Gotoh, thinking "to hell with responsibilities, Gotoh had the right idea last game" could happen? I mean yeah he'd basically be throwing his responsibilities away and being how the prior war caused a ton of damage, it probably wouldn't help. But on the other hand, Tiki could have a chance at Mar-Mar.

Do you guys think that instead of turning into "Dark Emperor Marth", he decides to run off and live with Gotoh, thinking "to hell with responsibilities, Gotoh had the right idea last game" could happen? I mean yeah he'd basically be throwing his responsibilities away and being how the prior war caused a ton of damage, it probably wouldn't help. But on the other hand, Tiki could have a chance at Mar-Mar.

Eh...I dunno man. Marth seems like the kind of guy who would be racked with guilt for making such a decision, especially given his whole "wallowing in pain" speech in the Prologue of Shadow Dragon. If nothing else, he'd want to establish a peaceful kingdom for the sake of everyone who died to bring him where he is.

I feel that if Marth succumbed to anything, it wouldn't be indignation and wrath like it was for Hardin; it would be despair and insecurity, like it was for Nyna.