Top 10 RPG Poll

Scar

Hello,

First time poster, long time browser!

A series of random conversations with my coworkers led me to do this.

I'm gathering as many people that are willing to give me their top 10 favorite rpgs of all time. I want to see what the masses consider.

If you want to participate (I'd love to get over 300 people's list) please send me a pm (or just post in this thread) with your list in order so I can give them points.

I'm asking for pm so everyone's list is individual and so another person's list doesn't affect/alter/adjust you own games. (you can always just spoiler tag your lists if that's easier.)

Any and all games you would consider a rpg are fine. I've gotten plenty of obscure games so far. The more people I can get to participate, the better this project becomes.

So please join in, and when I'm satisfied with enough lists, I plan to tally up the totals and make a grand project that I will share with you all.

Thanks again.

Scar, out!

1. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

2. Final Fantasy VI

3. Shadow Hearts: Covenant

4. Radiant Historia

5. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

6. Nier

7. Pokemon White

8. Final Fantasy VIII

9. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

10. Tales of Legendia

I have a bunch I have yet to finish, so this is a pretty tentative list.

Edited by Lord Raven

1.) Persona 3

2.) Persona 4

3.) Final Fantasy VII

4.) Chrono Trigger

5.) Suikoden II

6.) Diablo II

7.) Fire Emblem 9

8.) Golden Sun

9.) Skyrim

10.) Pokemon Gold/Silver

Edited by Odyssey

1.Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

2.The Witcher 3

3.TES: Morrowind

4.Persona 3

5.Dark Souls

6.Baldur Gate II

7.Xenogears

8.Deus Ex

9.Tales of Phantasia

10.Persona 4

Unlike many people here, I play both western and JRPG.

Edited by Magical CC

Hmm...In order is difficult, but I'll try my best! 1 is the best, 10 is the worst of the best.

#1. Fallout: New Vegas

#2. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

#3. Fire Emblem: Awakening

#4. Dark Souls

#5 Majora's Mask

#6. Mass Effect 2

#7. Kingdom Hearts 2

#8. Fire Emblem: Gaiden

#9. Fire Emblem: Binding Blade

#10. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story

Just don't quote me personally on this, as this is a very "How I feel right now" kind of list, hehehe.

Edited by GoldenMapleLeaf

This. . .heavily depends on your definition of RPG. But I'll give this a whirl.

1. Yggdra Union - I've played this game more times that I care to admit, and I'm still in love with the characters and story. The remake only made it better!

2. Final Fantasy IX - This narrowly beat out VI, mostly because of the fact that it's a lot less dark, and sorely underrated.

3. Final Fantasy VI - My first Final Fantasy, and a solid entry, to boot. The dual worlds was nice, as was the bad guy actually winning.

4. Radiant Historia - Great story, good music, good characters, amazing premise, and an ending that actually fit.

5. Tales of the Abyss - The musical theme is amusing, as are most of the characters. The battle system is plenty entertaining, and unlike Symphonia, the main character grows on me.

6. NieR - So I didn't finish this game, because I kept getting motion sick. The soundtrack is amazing, and the characters are really well-written (especially Weiss). The endings. . .I refuse to spoil them.

7. The World Ends With You - A completionist run is brutal. A story run, not so much. My biggest beef with the game is the fact that I can't use some of the pins on the bus (as randomly yelling would be, uh, bad). Gotta love a game where dressing up teenage boys in maid outfits is a viable strategy. :P:

8. Baten Kaitos - Certain scenes were stupidly repetitive (like Fee dying). The battle system was clever, the characters were amusing, and the only reason why it's not higher is because I wasn't fully satisfied with the ending.

9. Suikoden V - This should be II, but I never played it. The cast is huge, the story gets confusing, the battles aren't too bad (mostly), but damned if the extras didn't cause me to care for way more characters than I thought possible!

10. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (First Chapter) - One of the few games where I felt romance was done right.

This list is subject to edit, and if I do so, it'll be by PM. If any of these entries don't fit, let me know, and I'll amend this accordingly.

Edited by eclipse

1. Suikoden II

2. Final Fantasy Tactics

3. Persona 3 FES

4. Tales of Symphonia

5. Phantom Dust

6. Valkyrie Profile

7. The World Ends With You

8. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

9. Star Ocean 2: The Second Story

10. Bahamut Lagoon

1. Mass Effect 2
2. Dragon Age Origins
3. Tales of Vesperia
4. TESV: Skyrim
5. Fire Emblem 7
6. Borderlands 2
7. Mass Effect
8. Pokemon Emerald
9. SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
10. Dragon Age Inquisition

I am playing pillars of eternity and valkyria chronicles right now, and they are in contention, but i'll reserve judgement until after I've finished

Edited by Dwarven Darkness

This. . .heavily depends on your definition of RPG. But I'll give this a whirl.

It's a stretch to call Majora's Mask an RPG. It's an action/adventure game, not an RPG.

It's a stretch to call Majora's Mask an RPG. It's an action/adventure game, not an RPG.

In all fairness, the Legend of Zelda franchise does have several features characteristic of RPGs, most notably the acquisition of new gear/items, as well as the quest/mission structure. The main RPG trope not present is the lack of leveling and statistics (Admittedly, one of the biggest features of the genre).

That said, I personally wouldn't class it as an RPG, but I can certainly see why one would.

1)Der Langrisser

2)Tales of Destiny 2 (the actual Destiny sequel, not Eternia :P)

3)Shining Force II

4)Ys I&II Chronicles

5)Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

6)Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim

7)Tales of Symphonia

8)Tales of Destiny

9)Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

10)Breath of Fire II

In all fairness, the Legend of Zelda franchise does have several features characteristic of RPGs, most notably the acquisition of new gear/items, as well as the quest/mission structure. The main RPG trope not present is the lack of leveling and statistics (Admittedly, one of the biggest features of the genre).

That said, I personally wouldn't class it as an RPG, but I can certainly see why one would.

And again, that's a massive stretch. The elements you mention are in other games that I'm sure many would agree are not RPGs, such as the GTA series. I don't see any reason why it should count, nor do I really see much of a reason why it would be considered purely an RPG. GTAV is more of an RPG than any Zelda game, and that's a sandbox action-adventure game. Edited by Lord Raven

So... 1) Xenoblade Chronicles... Just.

2) Radiant Historia. It was a toss up between this and Xenoblade for Number 1, but Xenoblade wins due to the side quests and Satorl Marsh.

3) Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Oh. My. Cosmos. This game was so fun to play. I literally put 100s of hours into the game so that I could complete most of the side quests. Still got 100 to go though.

4) Golden Sun: The Broken Seal. It could have been rated higher, but the copy I have of the game is broken (natch).

5) Chrono Trigger. Music. Worlds. Characters. Battle systems. All amazing. Haven't finished it yet.

6) Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. Good game, good game.

7) Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. One of my first RPGs, so it has a soft spot in my heart.

8) Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. My first RPG. I loved this game so much! :)

9) Final Fantasy XII: Revanant Wings. Tough, but fun. One of the three RPGs on the list that I haven't completed.

10) Dragon Quest IX. Fun, but I haven't completed it yet.

Special Mention: Etrian Odyssey IV, Etrian Odyssey Untold, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy V, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, a Ton of Pokemon Games (my favourite out of the ones I have played is Pokemon White) and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Others that I have played, but not enjoyed as much: Final Fantasy IV, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest VI, Pokemon Ruby, Pokemon AlphaSapphre and Tales of the Abyss. (My least favourite RPG... It's a toss up between Final Fantasy IV and Dragon Quest VI. They are okay, but impossible to complete)

RPGs that I want to play: Valkaryie Chronicles: Covenant of the Plume, The World Ends with You, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, Etrian Odyssey III, The Last Story and Soltaboro: Red the Hunter. If anyone has played any of these RPGs, can you let me know if they are good?

Edited by Fantasia

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

2. Persona 3 FES

3. Chrono Trigger

4. Live A Live

5. Shin Megami Tensei 3

6. Pokémon B/W

7. Phantom Brave

8. Valkyrie Profile

9. Golden Sun

10. The 2nd Super Robot Wars Z

1. Summon Night: Twin Age

2. Breath of Fire III

3. Pokemon Y

4. Pokemon White

5. Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

6. Puzzle & Dragons Z

7. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

9. Final Fantasy V

10: Nostalgia

Some of my ranks contain entire game series, either because I like them equally or they all play the same. To make it easier for myself, I only included games in which you "level up" or otherwise have a large amount of RPG mechanics. There are some games that aren't here because I haven't played or finished them, and can't conclusively judge them.

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

2. Pandora's Tower

3. The World Ends With You

4. Kingdom Hearts series

5. Brave Fencer Musashi

6. Fire Emblem series

7. Mario and Luigi series

8. Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes

9. Pokemon series

10. Final Fantasy series

Edited by Zera

In no particular order:

10) Romancing SaGa

9) Final Fantasy VI

8) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: The 7th Stand User (Fangame or not, it's still awesome.)

7) Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door

6) Earthbound

5) Final Fantasy XII

4) Fire Emblem 12

3) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

2) Romancing SaGa 3

1) 7th Saga

Literally no order.

In no particular order:

Literally no order.

If you want to participate.....please send me a pm.....with your list in order so I can give them points.

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

2. Paper Mario

3. Earthbound

4. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

5. Xenoblade Chronicles

6. Pokemon HG/SS

7. Fire Emblem: Awakening

8. Pokemon FR/LG

9. Super Paper Mario

10. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

I'm surprised that I could name ten RPG's that I've played...

1. Ogre Battle 64 Person of Lordly Caliber

2. Final Fantasy 4

3. Radiata Stories

4. Shin Megami Tensei IV

5. Star Ocean Till the End of Time

6. Seiken Densetsu 3

7. Suikoden

8. Final Fantasy 7

9. Phantasy Star IV

10. Tales of the Abyss

I'm assuming as long as the game has "RPG" somewhere in its genre it's fair game? I'm seeing a lot of Fire Emblem in people's lists (kinda duh given the nature of this board) but it's a SRPG. Anyhow;

1. Golden Sun: The Lost Age

2. Pokemon Gold/Silver (actually Heart Gold/Soul Silver but they're interchangeable)

3. Chrono Trigger

4. Skyrim

5. World of Warcraft

6. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

7. Skies of Arcadia

8. Bravely Default

9. Final Fantasy VI

10. Riviera: The Promised Land

No particular order, ranking is for losers!

- Earthbound
- DBZ: Legend of the Super Saiyan
- FE4
- Secret of Mana
- Pokemon Crystal
- Skyrim
- SMT: Devil Survivor
- Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
- Ranma 1/2: Akanekodan Teki Hihou

- Diablo 3