gringe

FE6 Numbers Patch v1.5 - Now with a proper description!

FE6 Numbers Patch v1.5

What the heck is this, gringe?

This was originally made as a companion patch to the new translation patch. It's an attempt to balance the game to slightly later FE7 standards. I didn't enjoy the base FE6 game as much as I could because I felt like I was limited in my viable options of characters and weapon types, so I made this. This was made because of my own opinion of FE6. Yours may vary.

Why would you waste your time with this?

Well, there are a number of massive overhauls to FE6 and a lot of "5 minutes in Nightmare" hacks that attempt to balance the game, but this is a little more minimalist than an overhaul and a little more thorough than a mini-hack. If you are fine with FE6 as it is, then please don't play this patch.

What exactly is changed?

So nice of you to ask! See below...

-Increased class base Con to be consistent with FE7's numbers where appropriate (female shamans and druids have been given a customized value adjusted to what they probably would have been in FE7 had the bases been relevant there.)
-Changed class caps to FE7's values, but in a few cases I simply estimated what they would have been in FE7 had they been relevant there.
-Changed item stats to their FE7 values.

-The critical bonus of swordmasters and berserkers was reduced to 15 as in FE7
-Added a few promotion items to the first 3/4 or so of the game for players to steal
-Decreased the c8 and c8x bosses' speed and luck stats to make them less annoying
-Improved Zephiel's, Jahn's, and Idun's stats a bit to make them less of a joke--still should be a walk in the park for an experienced FE player though
-Attempted to balance and increase the usability of playable characters while staying true to the apparent original intentions. An Excel document with all the changes is available for download separately below.

-The Rapier, Horseslayer, and Halberd are now effective against Nomads, Nomad Troopers, Troubadours, and Valkyries.

-Hard mode became significantly harder with the increased hit rates of weapons, so the stats of enemies in chapters 1-7 have been toned down slightly (in Hard Mode only) to make it more playable. The early chapters of Hard mode are no longer Marcus Emblem. Whether this is an improvement is surely up to the individual.

With all that said, I hope you enjoy, and I am totally open to comments and criticisms. Comments like "this is useless go away" aren't too helpful, though.

[spoiler= v1.5 Change list]

Now in IPS format!

PLAYABLE CHARACTERS:

Wolt + Dorothy: Improved just a LITTLE BIT more. Wolt now has 7 base Spd! (Still 1 less than level 1 Sue)

Noah: Increased base Res to 5, increased Res growth to 25%

Bors: Decreased Def growth to 40%

Barth: Increased Lance weapon level to B, increased base HP to 35

Sue: Restored nerfed stats

Shin: Restored most of his nerfed stats, added Longbow to his inventory

Hugh: Increased Anima weapon level to B

Sophia: Increased base level to 3, improved bases all around, toned down stat growths a little bit. Hopefully she's become an Est that will be difficult but not impossible to raise...

Garret: Removed Def buffs, added a point to Skl, increased Res growth to 25%

Bartre: Added a point to Def, increased Con by 1 (to make it the same as FE7 Bartre :P)

Ogier: Added some base points to Luck

Milady: Restored base stats and growths, increased base level by 5. :smug:

ITEMS:

Added a Guiding Ring to steal on the Druid in 12x

Removed Flaer's Elysian Whip on 13

Decreased Mt of Murgleis and Maltet

Apply to an UNPATCHED FE6 ROM using an IPS patcher such as LunarIPS. Please DO NOT apply any translation patches after patching with this (the localization patch is included). I also do not recommend using this in conjunction with other patches that change stats and such.

Patch:

https://www.mediafire.com/?iwk69vstr0xdla6

Excel file with detailed character stat changes:

https://www.mediafire.com/?9ho9sh82o268oyq

[spoiler=Old versions]

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hh2fi8dki2vo2xd/FE6numberspatch-v1.4.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yd81x72u2xrur3s/FE6numberspatchv1.3.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/q5y45he4ntkl58a/FE6numbersv1-2.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lfx6ijs9lpbb14g/FE6numberspatchv1.1.zip

https://www.mediafire.com/?9wu18g2wivktii4

beta

https://www.mediafire.com/?att6r5gz3n5h87r

Edited by gringe

Okay, got to Zephiel. Dunno how you define excessively difficult, but I would say normally, killing him with someone like Bors or Miledy using Maltet is not exactly hard. By this point of the game, Maltet can easily do about 20 damage and maintain about 75% displayed accuracy assuming you have something like 22 STR and 20 SKL (before stat modifications factored). Even if you are fairly liberal with using Divine Weapons to kill Wyverns and bosses, I don't think it's unreasonable to save a few uses of something like Maltet to kill Zephiel.

Aside from strong lance users (note: weapon accuracy buffs in my opinion actually help a lot in this boss fight when something like a Silver Lance has about 4 more displayed hit after factoring Zephiel's speed buff), Swordmasters with supports still can do the job as well with either Silver or Killing weapons. I would honestly argue Murdock can be more annoying given his physical durability, even if Armorslayers are great against him (personally me, I killed him with a General Triangle Attack using a Hammer for style points).

The Bishops reinforcements with Physic can be a little annoying when they heal Zephiel, but honestly by this point of the game, most of your units equipped with good weapons probably should be strong enough to find a way through. Try to have Warp Staff saved to send someone to kill the Druid and Snipers hiding behind walls to make things less annoying early in the level.

I would say honestly Zephiel is pretty fair. Even if fewer of your non-swordmaster units can double him, he's not too difficult. Really not the most intimidating part of the level by any stretch.

Maltet having like 21 MT is kinda crazy, now that I think about it. Sure it's really late in the game, but that's almost as much raw damage as Durandal (but better for killing Dragons). Furthermore it doesn't weigh nearly as much as either Armads or Durandal. So yeah honestly I would argue that particular Divine Weapon is kinda OP, especially since you don't exactly have a shortage of great lance users in this game.

Not sure about Murgleis. 20 MT and 5 spd is a kinda crazy combination, but then again you only get to take advantage of it on the player phase for the most part.

Edited by A2ZOMG

Jahn and Idun are pretty funny to fight against now that they probably don't die in one round (a Sniper with Murgleis and full supports though probably can make a joke of Jahn). Idun probably doubles Roy unless you use a Speedwing on him, though doesn't matter much when you can attack from range to kill her. Anyhow I completed the game, I'll try to sum up stuff I did and noticed throughout my run as quickly as possible.

Took Western Isles route B + Sacae

Notable support conversations achieved:

A Roy Wolt

Deke Shanna Lot Wade Support Square

A Elen Saul

A Noah Fir

Bors Wendy Lilina Barth Support Square

A Elphin Cecilia

A Sophia Igrene

Earlygame MVPs

Bors, Marcus, Alan

Midgame MVPs

Jerrot, Saul, Astore, Shanna

Endgame MVPs

Saul, Bors, Milady, Wendy, Sophia

I'm open to questions about my opinions, or stupid things I did throughout my run for experimental purposes, though I think I've already covered mostly everything that I think is important. In this game, high defenses and big heals help you a lot more. That represents most of how the game flow feels different. I think the main previously high/top tier unit that probably is liable to be used a lot less is Deke, given his speed nerf is really noticeable midgame when he fails to double a lot of enemies around that point of the game, and he's also a lot more fragile with both his speed nerf and enemy accuracy going up. He's still good for killing bosses though, especially with Durandal.

Edited by A2ZOMG

Thanks for your thoughts throughout your playthrough! I'll be making an update as soon as I get a chunk of free time.

Updated to 1.5! Try it out if you want!

This and Smash Bros Wii U...I'll try to find time for both. Funny enough, I don't really care for Roy specifically in either of these games.

I guess at this point I'm more curious to know if there's anything in specific you would want people to try out. I personally think you've done a pretty good job meeting your goals. I very much appreciate that Murgleis and Maltet were toned down, given in retrospect I did feel they sorta trivialized the lategame to a degree.

I think once I get to this, I'll deliberately mess with Ogier at least given I suspect he's probably Bors most viable support which in its own way is pretty useful. Dunno if he might actually be secretly OP...that will remain to be seen.

I had an issue patching it to the FE6 localization patch, I just got a black screen, either it was the patching order or using UPS+IPS patches together. To anyone that has the same issue, I fixed it by patching in this before the localization (and using both IPS patches)

Ah, it must be because v1.0 of the localization patch moves some stuff around. I patched it successfully with the UPS version so it must be the order. Thanks for pointing this out, Lowell! I'll edit the first post when I get home.

Have you buffed Cecilia at all? If you haven't, she could use some buffing. especially in speed. Just a suggestion. It'd be nice if you had the changelists from your previous number patches too, so we could use them for reference, instead of just the v1.5 changelist.

Well, you could download older versions and check the document in the most recent file against them. Not the most intuitive method, I know. :P

Cecilia has received some pretty notable growth boosts. She still has the same bases, though. Her stat focuses are more on Mag and physical durability (relatively speaking) than Clarine.

Not sure if this is an error from this patch or the translation, but I just did the tutorial.... and the rapier had no damage bonus against Bors!

I'm worried that other weapons might've lost their damage bonus somehow....

EDIT: Just tried the Armorslayer against Ruud (Ch.2). It's damage bonus is also not there.

Edited by Mark the Tactician

Not sure if this is an error from this patch or the translation, but I just did the tutorial.... and the rapier had no damage bonus against Bors!

I'm worried that other weapons might've lost their damage bonus somehow....

EDIT: Just tried the Armorslayer against Ruud (Ch.2). It's damage bonus is also not there.

I think I know the problem because this happened to me as well. What you do is apply the numbers patch to the rom first, then patch the translation in ups format not ips. There must be some sort of weird conflict if you patch both in ips form.

I've been having some problems trying to get this to work while getting a translation patch to work as well.

First, I downloaded the three parts: a fresh copy of FE6, this patch, and this translation patch http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41095&page=1

I'm using Multipatch. First I patch the Numbers patch to the ROM first as explained in the OP. No problems there. When I try to then patch the translation patch on top of the now patched ROM, I get a crc32 issue. To make sure that everything downloaded correctly, I tried applying just that translation patch to the ROM and it worked fine. The numbers patch is .ips and the translation patch is .ups

Wow, things are getting ridiculously confusing, aren't they? Maybe I should just combine the translation patch and the numbers patch.

Is there anybody who wants to use the numbers patch WITHOUT the translation?

There should never be a reason to force gameplay changes with a translation, in my opinion. Keep them separate and allow users to choose. If there are problems with patching, the author ought to identify and ensure clean patching is possible.

Um, yeah. The idea is to have the localization patch in the main localization patch topic and the localization patch merged into the numbers patch in this topic.

What I'm asking is if there's anybody who wants to use the numbers patch with the Japanese version or an older translation patch. If there's not, I can safely make the merged patch (again, for use in this topic).

With the number of problems that seemed to have popped up, merging the two patches would likely be a good idea. Can still have separated download options, just provide a combined one as well.

This patch has gained some interest in the Gamefaqs board too.

Once completed, i will share with you my thoughts too.

I'm having the same problem with slayer weapons lacking the bonus they should have.

I've successfully applied this patch first (as indicated in this OP), but adding the localization patch is where problems arise for me -- if I try using the .ups format I get a "The patch doesn't match the file" message when I try adding it. Conversely, if I try using the .ips format, the effective damage bonuses are lacking the entire game.

It's a shame I can't get it to work, because this patch is really appealing to me. :(

Edited by prettyprincess

Ok this is going to sound like a rant but here are my notes for the patch:

- Bug: The weapon "Rapier" is broken. Its effect against cavalry/knights doesn't work at all against any type of these enemies. It's just another normal weapon without any special effects.

- Bug: The weapons with special effects against cavalry/knights like the halberd and knight killer

have reduced effect (about half effect) and don't glow.

- WEXP is as slow as the original. No work has been done there and getting "S" in Axes and Light categories still remains an ordeal.

A "D" rank in Light magic for priests does't help or improve the situation.

- Every promoted class that gains a new weapon category starts at "E" again. Coupled with the slow WEXP, it's a drag.

- Support gains have the same issue. The infamous "0+1" support growths still exist and make Support build ups very slow.

- The Support limit of 120pts/chapter still exists and that makes Supporting a tedious process to build.

- Honestly the growth rates are as bad as the original and the game felt the same

Had to RNG abuse a ton for tens of hours as almost every legit Lv-Up earned 1-3 pts.

- Nerfs to various characters only lead to drop their viability much earlier.

Those originally good characters weren't broken, they just looked broken because the majority of the army sucked.

- Weapons got %Hit buffed which leads to enemies having a constant 45-60% Hit Rate throughout the game

Reducing enemy skill by 2pts in the early game hardly fixes the issue as -4% is nothing compared to +10/15% from weapons.

Specifically (these on top of your patch rates):

* Roy,Lance,Allen need +5% to STR,SKL,SPD with Lance,Allen needing an extra 10% to LUCK or DEF

* Ellen should lose -10% in both LUCK and RES and get +10% to SPD and DEF

* Dieck (who already suffers from SPD growth) lost 2SPD and he can't double anything except noob spear soldiers. He needs his +2SPD back

* Thanny lost too 2SPD and she can't dodge enemy swords and lances for the first 6-7 chapters! At least give and split those 2pts in 1STR and 1LUCK

* Clarine... omg wtf something happened to her MAG/SKL as at 20/0 and a lot of RNG abuse they both stayed at 8! +10% those 2 stats or something.

* Noah's STR and SPD suck and he is worse than Treck who is tankier and better at everything.

35% for 2 core stats is low. Either both need +10% OR one of these two stats +20%.

* Lilina is....Lilina. If her SPD gets blessed then she is very good. Otherwise she sucks and doesn't have a "safenet".

I would -10%MAg and give +5%SPD and +5%HP.

* Oggier is weaker than Wendy in literally everything! And it's not Wendy's fault :P. He sufferes mostly in STR and LUCK. I'll leave this one to you to decide.

* Fir's base buffs are very welcome but her 25%STR growth is a crime as she hit less than Thanny and dodges less than Thanny (because lower LUCK too). Needs +10%STR.

* Tate needs +1 base stats to everything. This game has already tons of Ests and doesn't need more.

At the chapter she joins, she can't dodge, kill steal or even scratch enemies while the later chapters get harder.

* Klein needs +2 to STR,SKL,SPD and +5HP. Even with these he is stil much weaker than an un-promoted 20/0 Wolt.

* Miledy deserves +1 to all base stats as now she is LV15 and her brother at half level (7) has equal starting bases. That's unfair.

* Percival got nerfed for no reason since his growth rates are bad with no potential...

That's all i noted so far.

Edited by BrightVega

I'm having the same problem with slayer weapons lacking the bonus they should have.

I've successfully applied this patch first (as indicated in this OP), but adding the localization patch is where problems arise for me -- if I try using the .ups format I get a "The patch doesn't match the file" message when I try adding it. Conversely, if I try using the .ips format, the effective damage bonuses are lacking the entire game.

It's a shame I can't get it to work, because this patch is really appealing to me. :(

Another poster has the same problem.

What i did was:

Get ROM(J), the IPS 1.5 patch and the IPS version of the translation patch (link is in the same page of the translation)

then use IPS to patch the numbers 1.5 first into the ROM

and then the translation.

Edited by BrightVega

Another poster has the same problem.

What i did was:

Get ROM(J), the IPS 1.5 patch and the IPS version of the translation patch (link is in the same page of the translation)

then use IPS to patch the numbers 1.5 first into the ROM

and then the translation.

I did this, and the Armorslayer works fine, but the Rapier becomes bugged again when I apply the translation patch (it works fine in the Japanese version).

I'm doing alright without the localization, since I can still play and navigate the game properly. :)

Hey gringe, I'm sorry if someone asked this before, but can your FE6 patches stack? If so, which one should I patch first?

Edited by Blue Druid