"My Castle" Explanation Video Translation

Ugh, I still don't like the hot springs and think that they don't fit in at all. Especially because of the fact that the story would be serious this time.

You know what game had Hot Springs and managed a very serious story?

Mother 3.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, I still don't like the hot springs and think that they don't fit in at all. Especially because of the fact that the story would be serious this time.

You see hot spring episodes in other serious stories.

Mother 3.

Personas 3 and 4 also had hot spring scenarios, and both had pretty serious overall stories lines.

From what I understand, it's a way they relax, like how a westerner might go to the bar with friends? (Probably not the best analogy, but its the only one I can think of.)

anyway, those ally/enemy/player phase... transitions? announcements? idk what they're called, but they're REALLY pretty this time!

Mother 3.

Absent were the half naked 3d models of your allies though, but hey.

You see hot spring episodes in other serious stories.

Personas 3 and 4 also had hot spring scenarios, and both had pretty serious overall stories lines.

From what I understand, it's a way they relax, like how a westerner might go to the bar with friends? (Probably not the best analogy, but its the only one I can think of.)

anyway, those ally/enemy/player phase... transitions? announcements? idk what they're called, but they're REALLY pretty this time!

*Nods* You put very good points! I agree with all of those.

And heck, you know an army has to rest somehow! It's kinda like a lockeroom shower before or after a big game!

Umm... no.

Strengthening your bonds in general means you talk to them with benefits like... I don't know... the barracks?

The narrators describe how face-rubbing increases bonds between characters. They then immediately explain that increasing bonds can get you stat bonuses if you talk in My Castle. There are only two possibilities:

1. "Increasing bonds" is another way to increase support points, and the My Castle conversations are based on support rank.

2. "Increasing bonds" is a separate mechanic and you need to face-rub to get those bonuses.

Either way, the player is incentivized to face-rub. That's not good.

As if those are detailed enough to actually be actually SEXUALLY GRATIFYING.

The sprites were stripped down! Not really the same but I digress. Theres also Suikoden

Either way, the player is incentivized to face-rub. That's not good.

This made me laugh.. Really hard. Dude its optional.

You're right, it is optional.

Forging is optional.

Stat boosts are optional.

Faster support conversations (and their bonuses) are optional.

But while optional, these are all very valuable assets. And the only way you're getting them is by messing around in My Castle.

If Lunatic+ returns, which I assume it will, this means that not using My Castle extensively will make the game much harder than it would be otherwise. That's not really what I think of when I hear "optional."

I just really hope more people realize we are dealing with 2 countries based on 2 real historical empires that shared a love for large public baths as places for conversation.

Still won't stop me from hating the walking in on the opposite sex and getting chased out trope.

Still won't stop me from hating the walking in on the opposite sex and getting chased out trope.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Fire Emblem feels so FRESH these days.

But if the french maid is any indication, at least one can not argue that the characters should know better but to freak out in such a clichéd fashion. After all, they were designed to be total tools in the first place.

Edited by BrightBow

Really, are only the parts of the game that are mandatory in order to finish it viable for criticism? What if the game happened to be slightly less linear? The main quest would compose about 10% of the complete product, but you couldn't evaluate the rest of the game on account of it being 'optional'.

I don't have a problem with baths since there is the quite apparent cultural context. 'Face-rubbing' on the other hand is more indicative of a not very desirable direction.

Mm. I don't really get the backlash against the hotsprings aspect of the game. Like, that's not weaboo shit. That's Japan shit.

Things like facerubbing and farming, I can understand a bit. This is coming from a guy who doesn't really use forging or stat boosts, features which are regarded as positive by many, but I do understand that the game has to be built for them to be able to put them into use, so that they matter without weakening the gameplay too much. They make the game easier, certainly, and there isn't really a reason not to use them, but they're feasible without. Unless it's Lunatic +, which is just...not built for fun to begin with. For me anyway.

Compare that to capturing in Thracia, which I would argue is of much more importance than stat boosters and the like. It's a feature which I could see people are either half and half on (I haven't read many Thracia discussions, so correct me if I'm presuming too much).

So I think those values and levels should be put into consideration, in this case. If it's like statboosters, it's weird and whatever, but if it's like capturing, I might get on the frowny face train.

Mister, what would you love to do in between, you know, WAR?!

Considering they are most of the time fighting, practicing, working, etc, I think it is rational for them to try to kick back.

Besides, washing?

feplus:

How are they incentivized? a) It will most likely work just like it did in awakening anyway. Why would support level have any significant change on that? And on that matter, I am sure joker was speaking about speaking with your units in my castle without face rubbing.

b) it's optional.

c) If you don't like it and don't want to use it, consider it a challenge run. or play full-on-classic and don't deal with it. nobody is forcing you to waste your time in a way you don't like.

And seriously, if you are already thinking of Apeotheosis (or however it is spelled), you are doing it wrong :/ And for that, just do without. Strategists are not required to fall back on everything the game offers. Or just swallow your pride and deal with it.

BrightBow:

Uh... no, since you need money and weapons in that game and money isn't just given away. It isn't optional. You are required to get money and weapons someway. Or accessing certain Gaiden Chapters.

However, Face rubbing ≠ FE5 capture

I would be seriously surprised if you need a certain amount of face rubs to reach chapter 8x or something, and you probably as well.

Topazd: Well, yes, since you can just, you know, ignore the optional parts you don't like and focus on the stuff you like to do in the game.

And it is not like face rubbing or my castle is 90% of the game. If 90% of the game is fanservice, I wouldn't bother with the game unless I am into fanservice. The game wouldn't qualify as a good strategy game anyway. Besides, if the remaining 10% are amazingly executed, would you still be annoyed by the fanservice?

This game is not Fire emblem Infinite Fanservice. This is Fire emblem (what) if...?

So, and Thanks shadow of chaos for the translation.

Thanks for the translation. The face petting part is odd, but I think it'll be fun to use. I'm trying to imagine Marx, Ryouma and Leon's reactions to being invited to Kamui's (specifically male Kamui) room and having their faces rubbed. And what about Takumi?

I am loving Joker, too. He's becoming a favorite character of mine.

Edited by Sir Frederick

You're right, it is optional.

Forging is optional.

Stat boosts are optional.

Faster support conversations (and their bonuses) are optional.

But while optional, these are all very valuable assets. And the only way you're getting them is by messing around in My Castle.

If Lunatic+ returns, which I assume it will, this means that not using My Castle extensively will make the game much harder than it would be otherwise. That's not really what I think of when I hear "optional."

Typically the way to get an edge in the gameplay in a lot of games is through optional and side content. For example in the Final Fantasy series from Final Fantasy VII onwards optional minigames are usually how you get the best stuff at any point in the game, Minigames in Super Mario Bros 3 can get you 1-ups.

They're still optional. I don't think you'll hear very many people saying Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII isn't optional even though the items/weapons/spells you get from refining the cards you win make it superior way to power up your party than fighting enemies due to enemies having level scaling.

Edited by arvilino

I doubt NoA will remove face rubbing, lemme list off 3 other 3DS games with rubbing:

1) Pokemon

2) Tomadachi Life

3) Conception II

Pokemon is a game about training virtual pets. Who wouldn't want to pet a Fennekin?

Tomodachi Life is a game that plays like a Japanese sitcom and includes Miis having rap battles and news stories about giant fishcakes being spotted over a meadow.

Conception II is a terrible Persona (3&4) knock off with none of the charm or subtlety of the games it's trying to be.

I don't see how this makes it okay for Fire Emblem, a series about war that has generally been pretty serious up until the abortion that was Awakening, to make you as a player rub the faces of your soldiers to give them stat boosts. It's impossible to defend as anything other than pandering to the demographic that is known to lap up anything that lets them touch their beloved waifus: the lonely otakus that have more money than sense.

BrightBow:

Uh... no, since you need money and weapons in that game and money isn't just given away. It isn't optional. You are required to get money and weapons someway. Or accessing certain Gaiden Chapters.

However, Face rubbing ≠ FE5 capture

I would be seriously surprised if you need a certain amount of face rubs to reach chapter 8x or something, and you probably as well.

Considering that Gaidens are by definition optional, I don't see why that would be a legit complaint anyway.

But more importantly, Thracia features enough other sources of weapons. And it's not like you have to fight most enemies in the first place. Even in the worst case scenario, you could still beat up enemies with a broken weapon. All totally possible. You are never forced to use it, it's a totally optional feature. But of course you would be a fool to pass up on significant gameplay advantages. Especially in a game that is supposed to be difficult.

Edited by BrightBow

@arvilino: I don't want to get into a semantics debate about what "optional" means.

Let me say this instead. Since the Nintendo Direct a few days ago, we've been told insistently by fans that My Castle is simply a fun distraction to mess around with. Sure, it'll be creepy to some... but don't like it, don't use it, right?

Now we've learned that forging, faster supports, and very useful stat bonuses can be unlocked only if a player spends time messing around with My Castle. This is no longer a fun distraction. This is must-play content if you want to forge weapons, get quicker supports, and / or have the best chance on Lunatic(+).

This is a major revelation.

Thanks for the translation, Rey!

Has anyone taken into consideration that it's likely facerubbing will only increase support bonuses with Kamui? Which means, even if you use it extensively, the support is only between Kamui and the recipient. Having supports going on with Kamui is a good thing BUT one person does not an army make. You need more supports than bonds specifically between Kamui and the rest of his army...

Firstly i'd like to thank Rey for the translation job.

also i imagine a lot of the dialouge will be changed for the localisation because most of it would be questionable to say the least.

also i think the face rubbing is just a way to increase support between units.

one more thing does the my castle feature remind anyone of colony 6 from Xenoblade? except the vendors are actually good.