[non-hack] Micro Emblem

SEVA

Great job on beating the game! I'm extremely impressed and also flattered that someone would not only beat my game, but also take the trouble to unlock the 'good ending'!

As of now, for his/her achievements, QwirkyQwilfish holds the official title of Manliest Tactician! (Actual gender notwithstanding.)

Will someone else from Serenes Forest take up the challenge and document this game either in a video or a screenshot LP to become the new Manliest Tactician? Only time will tell!

It depends. I'd complete the good ending, so how many chapters would there be before the game is over?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. I'd complete the good ending, so how many chapters would there be before the game is over?

There's actually only one bonus chapter unlocked by the good ending, so it would be 19 in total. But actually, to be honest, I don't think a screenshot LP of this game would be all that entertaining, since all the chapters look a bit samey. (They aren't samey, but they look samey.) Well, unless you did something extra creative, like this guy. But then, I dunno. Maybe it would be entertaining.

Is there a way to play this on a mac?

I don't know, to be honest, I've never tried running it on a mac. Wine? WineBottler? I think you'd need DirectX, though, so unfortunately probably not.

Okay, I'll give it a try then! I can make it through 19 chapters of a Fire Emblem game before getting bored of it and stopping. I won't be able to start the LP up until tomorrow at the earliest, probably. Oh well, I'm sure this will be fun :)

I don't know, to be honest, I've never tried running it on a mac. Wine? WineBottler? I think you'd need DirectX, though, so unfortunately probably not.

Yeah, I tried using Wine and Winebottler, but it froze a lot after a few turns. I eventually gave up. Thanks anyways! I'll attempt it on VirtualBox!

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Willie

• 1 month later...

Just played up to Chapter 4. It's quite a fun and charming little game! I think the level of challenge is pretty good so far, as well, although maybe that's just me. I've had tense moments, but so far it hasn't felt unfair at all, which I think is a good balance. The comparatively (that is, relative to Fire Emblem) very small scale of character HP greatly magnifies the importance of the weapon triangle's +/-2 Might properties, and generally-speaking I think it makes good use of its elements.

Ya did good! I'll be sure to play the game all the way through to the end, bonus chapter and all!

EDIT: Oops I totally didn't even notice how long it'd been since the last post here. My apologies for inadvertently necroposting.

Edited by Topaz Light

Oops I totally didn't even notice how long it'd been since the last post here. My apologies for inadvertently necroposting.

I don't think it's been two months, so this wouldn't count as a necropost. Don't worry. Also, it's not like I don't appreciate my game being bumped up to the first page again. ^^

At any rate, I'm glad you're enjoying the game!

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone! Today, I found out how useful it is to google your own game every once in a while.

Firstly, Ethervil of Youtube has actually made a complete Let's Play of my game, which I honestly thought would not happen ever.

Secondly, even more surprisingly, someone's written an article on TV Tropes dedicated to my game. I'll be honest, I always wanted to see a TV Tropes article on something which I made, but I thought Micro Emblem was the last thing that could possibly get me that dream, given how basic it is.

Well, both of these things are extremely flattering to me, so I thought it's only fair to try to give them more publicity by posting them here.

Man, I thought I'd never see the day! XD

Great job on beating the game! I'm extremely impressed and also flattered that someone would not only beat my game, but also take the trouble to unlock the 'good ending'!

As of now, for his/her achievements, QwirkyQwilfish holds the official title of Manliest Tactician! (Actual gender notwithstanding.)

Will someone else from Serenes Forest take up the challenge and document this game either in a video or a screenshot LP to become the new Manliest Tactician? Only time will tell!

(No really, the game is hard and designed so that only pro tactics will save you. This is completely justified. I swear.)

As for your balancing questions - soldiers and armors make quite decent earlygame units so long as you don't neglect them, especially if you make good use of hills. The abundance of soldiers and butchers on the enemy team in the earlier chapters helps that a lot. I agree that they lose their shine somewhat in the later chapters, but they still have their situational uses. As for butchers, they are probably the single most powerful unit to deploy against enemy knights and armors, and healers and archers too. Again, as long as you use terrain wisely.

I'm doing this. NOW

• 3 months later...

Hello Siva. Would it be possible for you to post the code you used for this project? I'm attempting to make something similar in Java, and I'm interested in seeing what methods you used here.

I did try using GameMaker first, but I have essentially no grasp of GML except where it resembles Java or Python.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...