TearRing Saga 0% growths ironman run?

sine nomine

I'm thinking of doing a 0% growths ironman run of TRS at some point. 0% growths ironman runs are fun because they encourage the use of good tactics rather than Narron solo or tons of resets.

It won't be a LTC run (at least not at first), and TRS is pretty easy overall so I'll have lots of ways to make reliable tactics. Compared to the minimum turncount run I did previously, I'll have many more characters and items which open up more options (and I won't be forced to rush through danger to seize each chapter). TRS has items which can prevent character death so ironmanning is feasible if not recommended for general play.

There's still a few things I want to plan out before I start and I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

- Who to pick at Verge: I'm thinking I should pick Lee first for the defense staff, then either Narron or Lionel next since they're solid combat units. I'll get Roger, Mintz, and Samson in this playthrough plus many others, unlike the LTC, so I won't be lacking in combat units either way.

- Random encounters: Any way to avoid them while playing ironman?

- Grinding: I want to ban grinding for stat boosters, character skills, etc. I could set a rule not to fight any more encounters than I have to, but if I want to move to another city to buy stuff an enemy might appear. What's the best way to address this?

- Coinflip: Since you have a >50 chance of winning, this is essentially a very slowly earned free 200000 gold. I used it in my LTC, but I think I'll ban it here since it's lame.

- Funds: without the coinflip and with the need for amulets (to prevent fatal attacks), gold is going to be scarce. And I might just miss possible sources of gold because it's an ironman run and (for example) one of Leonheart's troops could block the gold-bearing reinforcements. Tips on how to spend it would be appreciated.

- Route splits: Who goes where?

- Other places where I have to choose items to get, like after chapter 14.

- Stat booster and promotion item distribution

- Tutoring skills

- Probably some other stuff, let me know what else I should consider.

As for specific chapters, there's a few I'm worried about.

- Chapter 18: How do I approach this? Since turncounts aren't an issue I can have Zeek pick off several units before moving in, but even he is in danger in this map. And I'd like to kill the harpy staff guy as soon as possible, how can I accomplish that? Hopefully I manage to get the ballista in the previous chapter so Thomas can support.

- Chapter 25: The group of five dragon knights are really dangerous. I'm thinking of M Up + Aura Rain*2, but I don't know how they will react if that fails. Also, which route do I take from here?

- Chapter 26A: Does aura rain hit the invisible enemies? Or is there another way to get through here safely?

- Chapter 26B: I think this map would be preferable because of the thief swords, which are very useful for combat on weak units like Sasha and for stealing good items. I'd have to take this chapter very slowly so Maerhen can actually capture an enemy to get the thief sword stuff started. The guys hidden in the center of the map would be an annoyance and I would probably kill Arkis, though.

- Chapter 34: How do I kill Ernest?

- Chapter 35: I guess I have to let Julius break his lance on arena fighters?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

well you can check out my 0% growths run if you want, link in my sig, although it's not ironman and also not ltc in any way. I chose to go Narron first and then Lee second; decided that the Defence Staff wasn't worth late Narron (even late 0% growths Narron). But I've also only played up to Chapter 17 so I haven't gotten to lategame where the staff would be most useful? Also haven't gotten to any of the problem chapters you point out.

for Julius- I might be wrong but I think that Loffarl with a Power Staff charge can ORKO or almost ORKO Julius with a Gatling Bow at base?

for Julius- I might be wrong but I think that Loffarl with a Power Staff charge can ORKO or almost ORKO Julius with a Gatling Bow at base?

ironman strats

if loffarl misses, i'm pretty sure that he dies (though defense staff might address this)

Edited by dondon151

well you can check out my 0% growths run if you want, link in my sig, although it's not ironman and also not ltc in any way. I chose to go Narron first and then Lee second; decided that the Defence Staff wasn't worth late Narron (even late 0% growths Narron). But I've also only played up to Chapter 17 so I haven't gotten to lategame where the staff would be most useful? Also haven't gotten to any of the problem chapters you point out.

Cool, nice to see you're doing a 0% growths run. Also, thanks again for helping me change TRS's growths to 0% (last year I asked you on a different account which I forgot the password to).

I don't think Lee is a good pick for the second Verge recruit; either get him immediately and get the defense staff along with him (which is easily more important than the actual character in a ironman run), or pick Narron + Lionel for good combat units. Though I suppose Lee could be decent with Silpheed or something. Anyways, if you aren't in a hurry I'd say Narron's early contributions aren't a big deal since the chapters are pretty easy and you have other good units like Zeek.

In my LTC run, I picked Narron then Lionel simply because I needed to move as fast as possible (Narron went with Holmes in the first route split, by the way). Plum wouldn't even have spare turns to use the defense staff if she got it.

For Julius, I don't think Loffarl can OHKO. Remember that Julius has a Goddess Shield which negates effective damage and crits, and he has the awareness skill to negate skills. And if you don't OHKO, he can recover HP with his lance. That said, it's not usually too hard to kill him - Sierra can hurt him without being countered because Sylpheed negates his counter attacks, Rishel has long range magic, he can't regain HP on fatal attacks blocked by an amulet, the Luna sword is ridiculously overpowered and cuts right through all his defense, etc. But his evasion is high and ironman runs don't take risks.

ironman strats

if loffarl misses, i'm pretty sure that he dies (though defense staff might address this)

Yeah, the defense staff (plus goddess shield for crits) lets Loffarl survive unless Julius activates Adept. I suppose I could give my units a bunch of amulets in case things go wrong. The Luna sword is effective at finishing him off since it's incredibly overpowered. Same with the fight against Ernest, I'll just block fatal attacks and abuse Luna. However, I'm not going to abuse the coinflip to make funds so I might not be able to afford too many amulets.

Amulets sure are good. To be honest, I don't think this run will be very hard. Some characters have amazing base stats, enemies are really weak, stat boosters are huge, and the weapons you get are incredibly overpowered. Oh well, I'm sure it will be more interesting than the base game with growths.

Lionel in 0% growths isn't really that great a combat unit though; Lee on the other hand is fragile but still really good at killing stuff and is your best magical unit until Rishel and Sierra.

but yeah the Defence Staff is probably really important in ironman

Zeek icr but I felt like he had trouble doubling at some points, particularly with the Devil Spear, which was a little annoying at times.

You're probably right about Lee being better at combat then Lionel, I think my decision to recruit Lionel was mostly based on his slight movement range advantage after promotion. Now I'll have Samson so I definitely won't need Lionel, though I will miss the life-or-death skill which was really good. (Oh cool I just noticed Samson can use the Salia lance after promotion, that's awesome.)

Zeek is absolutely amazing. For some reason he can move through most terrain with no penalty, his stats are great, and he has the life-or-death skill which can easily be used for tons of critical hits. Give him a pilum and the needle spear (or even some axes if you want) instead of the super heavy devil spear. I'm sure you'll change your mind about him after chapter 18.

well Narron I've found to be a little better than Zeek, so I doubt c18 is going to make me think YEAH ZEEK IS AWESOME especially since that'll be like his last map

I mean Zeek is still really good and it's not like I don't give him lighter weapons; it's just that with growths, Devil Spear Zeek is so good that not being able to use it effectively in 0% growths is disappointing.

also Samson can't use lances?

Edited by BBM

I don't know why Devil Spear Zeek would be notable aside from making use of an otherwise questionable weapon. It's not even cost-effective, you can even sell it and buy a ton of pila and chuck them at 1-2 range with more accuracy than the devil spear, pretty high might, and better attack speed. Or equip the needle spear for super high accuracy and extra critical. I guess you could keep the devil spear around if you need to to OHKO some enemy but in that case the lack of doubling isn't an issue. I thought Zeek's forest movement and life-or-death skill really shone in chapter 18, but to be fair I sent Narron on the other route and didn't have Mintz (who gets both life-or-death and charge) so Zeek had less competition.

You're right about Samson, for some reason I thought he was an axe knight. That sucks.

I like the Devil Spear in regular playthroughs for his ability to ORKO Knights and Woodshooters with it. Then I can give the Hammer to Barts or someone. Plus Pila aren't available until c9.