• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smash 64: Link, Fox

Melee: Marth, Roy, Mewtwo

Brawl: Ike, Marth, Falco

Project M: Samus, Marth, Roy, Mewtwo

Smash 4: Mains: Marth, Roy, Charizard, Megaman (or at least trying)

Smash 4: Secondaries: Mewtwo, Samus, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Ike, Mario, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby

I play a lot more characters in Smash 4 simply because I got into the habit of playing characters I don't usually play just for the hell of it.

Wow, Knife. Why do you always have to be so picky and biased when it comes to almost everything?

You know what? Screw it. If you're going to keep acting this way all the time, then I'll mind as well not change my list at all.

I'll play as whoever the hell I want and whenever the hell I want. Everyone I listed is used equally for a reason and nothing's changing that any time soon.

are you seriously going to use / not use characters just to spite someone? I know you then say you'll play "whoever the hell you want," but ????

Knife may have said that in a less than polite manner, but he's still right; it's not a main if there are more than two or three (even three is kind of stretching it...). the term "main" has a meaning, and it's not "I enjoy playing as this list of characters"

also sidenote but what Knife was saying definitely isn't "bias" lol

Edited by Euklyd

are you seriously going to use / not use characters just to spite someone?

Not even! Sure, I may be pissed at Knife's attitude, but no way did I have any sort of intent to spite him at all.

I probably won't use certain characters in a competitive tournament setting, but I still use everyone I listed in local friendly matches very equally. I use Mewtwo just as much as I use Roy.

And I'm very sure some of the things Knife has said in the past were clearly bias.

Not even! Sure, I may be pissed at Knife's attitude, but no way did I have any sort of intent to spite him at all.

I probably won't use certain characters in a competitive tournament setting, but I still use everyone I listed in local friendly matches very equally. I use Mewtwo just as much as I use Roy.

And I'm very sure some of the things Knife has said in the past were clearly bias.

oh, in the past

ok that's entirely plausible; my b

Edited by Euklyd

if you say you have 20 mains, you just have 20 secondaries. a main is the character that you use the most and focus on. if you don't focus on anybody, you don't have a main.

I completely disagree with this. It is entirely possible for someone to main that many characters. It is entirely possible for someone to put forth effort into those characters and main them for competitive play, casual play, etc.

Wow, Knife. Why do you always have to be so picky and biased when it comes to almost everything?

You know what? Screw it. If you're going to keep acting this way all the time, then I'll mind as well not change my list at all.

I'll play as whoever the hell I want and whenever the hell I want. Everyone I listed is used equally for a reason and nothing's changing that any time soon.

I don't think that was the point of his comment. He's not saying you can or can't use any particular characters. You can try to practice all 55 characters if you want. Use whoever you feel like. What he was saying is that you can only have 1-3 mains, by the very definition of a main (though I've seen the definition disputed). Basically he's saying a lot of folks here either haven't picked a main (which is fine), or are calling their secondaries mains.

For instance, I play Shulk, Ganondorf, Marth, and Robin quite frequently in Smash4. I've gotten relatively good with all of them, particularly Shulk. However, Ike is my sole main, because when it comes down to it, he's the character I use most frequently and perform the best with. That doesn't mean I can't play the other characters or that I'm bad with them, but it does mean by definiton that they are all secondaries. Most people will concede you could have 2 or maybe even 3 mains if you tried your absolute hardest to practice those chararcters equally and become equally skilled with them, but most players just naturally play one character the most, enjoy one character the most, or are clearly better with one character. I initially played Ike and Shulk pretty evenly, but it became evident over time that I was getting better with Ike faster, so I started focusing on him more. He's my sole main.

Yeah, what they said.

Also, of course I'm biased. It's my opinion. Don't like it? DEAL WITH IT.

Nobody is equally skilled with any character. There will always be one, possibly two that you are much better with in a competitive setting (1 vs 1, no items).

You people need to make up your minds. There's a reason why they're called "mains". If you listed more than 3, you need to clarify some of these as secondaries/pockets. This is an order.

Piss off Knife

I don't give two shits about competitive at, and I'm not gonna "correct" myself just to fucking please you

And seriously what the fuck is the point of calling out people for a post they made literally two months ago to order them around

Piss off Knife

I don't give two shits about competitive at, and I'm not gonna "correct" myself just to fucking please you

And seriously what the fuck is the point of calling out people for a post they made literally two months ago to order them around

I think I'll just... bring this down a notch. More innocent...

*Ahem* ... YOU LITTLE MOTHER FR- Lol I joke. But seriously,

everyone is entitled to use what they want. If ZeRo looked at our choices of characters, then he'd probably say that it's up to us to choose whatever character we want as long as you're benefitting something our of them when used weather competitively or other reasons, even say that we have a lot of options for situations if you know how to counter them. But I bet he just seriously wouldn't care. I mean, this isn't Melee where everyone must know to play, Marth, Fox and etc.

It's definitely only viable to have one main and 1-2 secondaries in competitive play, instead of focusing on a large spectrum, but not everybody here is a competitive smasher. I won't discriminate.

Anywhosit,

Mains!

64: n/a

Melee: Link

Brawl: Ike

PM: Ike

Sm4sh: Ike/Mario(working on my Ike to get on par with my Mario and have Mario be my actual secondary, but for now Mario is my breadwinner.)

Secondaries!

64: none

Melee: Young Link, Falco kinda?

Brawl: Sonic

PM: Ganondorf

Sm4sh: Falcon, Ike/Mario, Ganondorf, Lucina, Bowser Jr. (I took a long time to figure out who I wanted to main so I dabbled in a lot of characters... I'd only count Mario and Ike to be my competitive-ready characters in all reality.)

the question was "who do you main," not "who do you play?" knife could have definitely been nicer about it, but it's true. your MAIN character (no (s) included, unless in special circumstances like M2K) is who you would pick in a heartbeat if you had to do your very best in most situations. you can play however many characters you want, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't say they're all your mains because that doesn't even make sense with the use of that term. ideally, if the people who said they "main" 3 or more characters understood that, they wouldn't have even posted in this topic, but...whatever.

edit:

1988049-bowsersfirebreath.png

Edited by PichuMaster3000

Are people getting really so angry about this? The term main was not defined in the OP, so just interpret it how you want and don't argue over such meaningless things.

it doesn't really matter whether OP defined the term in their post or not....

it's like saying "what's your favorite soda?" without specifying what a soda is

the word "soda" has a well-understood meaning; it's not really open to interpretation

yes, people (including myself) are being fucking pedantic about this shit, but the word "main" does have like, an actual meaning. anyways, apologies for my being a little shit about all this

instead...

2rkd92.jpgwho are your mains here's mine

could you like, change the thread title / OP, so we can avoid all this pointless argument?

yes, people (including myself) are being fucking pedantic about this shit, but the word "main" does have like, an actual meaning. anyways, apologies for my being a little shit about all this

I'd blame Knife for starting the whole "make up your mind dammit" deal.

But I'd also blame myself for responding to him the way I did.

And yeah, you guys should really calm down about this. I think it should be obvious that people with more than 3 mains probably don't give craps to competitive tourney play.

Well, I'm sorry for trying to bring an end to bickering. I personally don't care if the OP clarifies it or whatever, people have just been way too toxic in this thread for such a pointless thing as terminology.

OP could just request his thread be locked :^)

idk. I'm probably just gonna ignore this thread from now on if it doesn't go back on course; I think that's probably best for everyone

e: not that me specifically ignoring this thread is best for everyone (I'm not that conceited), but that forgetting about this tangent is best for everyone

Edited by Euklyd

Idk about the rest of y'all, but when it comes to listings, I generally always put all of them in order of from most to least, which I assume most people do, unless stated in no particular order.

But that's none of my business. I aint trippin *sips tea*

Lol naw don't lock this, this is kinda funny. But yeah seriously, I have never seen anyone successfully use more than 3 characters in tourney. Using a character competitively means needing to invest time into them and usually the only reason players will main more than 1 is to cover bad matchups. In Smash 4, you can virtually cover all bad matchups with just 2 characters, unless they suck. Both characters losing to Sheik is understandable tho.

If you're a casul, just ignore and move on.

Counterpoint: the Smash for cast is huge, and it is only ever going to get bigger through the power of basic fanservice alone. I would argue it to be downright unreasonable to not hit it off with a few characters, especially for people who already have a lot of experience with Smash anyway.

It also effectively reduces your chance of picking up another character just to alleviate a bad matchup to near-zero. I do not see anything wrong with that, and just because you can't main more than two doesn't mean other people aren't capable of growing more fruit-bearing trees than that.

──── ∙ ∙〔:∫:∫ 〕∙ ∙ ────

My characters who like to use the Smash are:

Robin - Dark Pit - Toon Link - Luigi - Falco - Lucina - Ike - Marth - Roy.

Main I have to be honest, the more I am using more characters from Fire Emblem .

トライフォースの力はがうことができ

Edited by 路人L I F E