Fire Emblem: Requiem - V1.4 is up

Sacred Blaze

Which characters do you like? (Not in terms of anything in particular)  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Allies

• Val
    • Andrei
    • Linda
    • Katarina
    • Keiran
    • Josie
    • Rayden
    • Marco
    • Kane
    • Isaac
    • Nella
    • Layla
    • Almer
    • Ash
    • Drake
    • Gemma
    • Clare
    • Alicia
    • Edward
    • Nala
    • Skye
    • Hawke
    • Jace
    • Vincent
    • Ordanze
    • Laraya
    • Emilia
    • Alyssa
    • Kenrick
    • Pamela
    • Meredith
    • Thelma

Thieves that speed tie can steal from each other. Still, it's a big inconvenience for people who have only fielded Edward for lock-picking purposes.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am enjoying the hack, but it is sounding like i should wait until an updated version is out before i continue it.

Well, maybe.

I'm not about to make any major changes elsewhere really, unless someone brings something up. But I'm away right now and won't be able to bring up a new patch until the end of the week, at the earliest.

I guess if you're not using the thief that you get in the game it might be worth waiting.

The most recent version (1.2) should be alright otherwise though. (I hope)

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Yeah I'm past that point, finished the game.

Gotta say though, the final chapter was underwhelming in terms of difficulty. The map design was actually pretty good, but it took very little effort to take down the boss. I think he could use a skill/speed buff (or a hit% buff), he was getting doubled left and right due to his attack speed of 19 and typically had 50-70% hitrates which is way too low for a boss. Perhaps a buff from 20 to 23 speed would be adequate.

Feel like most of the bosses late game were solable with ease lol. Whats up with Bran's son btw? He can't even fight back against ranged units which is a travesty in my opinion.

I think he should be able to move. Not that he would be dangerous that way either but at least not laughable. My tankier characters can take 3 hits from him and he can't double most of them.

Again like I mentioned before not a problem with your hack but in fire emblem in general. I always hated underwhelming bosses.

Edited by felixng2015

Yeah I'm past that point, finished the game.

Gotta say though, the final chapter was underwhelming in terms of difficulty. The map design was actually pretty good, but it took very little effort to take down the boss. I think he could use a skill/speed buff (or a hit% buff), he was getting doubled left and right due to his attack speed of 19 and typically had 50-70% hitrates which is way too low for a boss. Perhaps a buff from 20 to 23 speed would be adequate.

I might give him a slight buff, but there is a reason why he's generally not that hard in normal. I will say though that I think 23 speed is a bit much because then it pretty much makes slower characters or characters that are susceptible to being speed-screwed almost useless against him, because then he'll double them. In this case I'm thinking of characters like Ash or Alicia, who you have to take.

[spoiler=The reason(Final Boss Spoiler)]

Shel in Normal Mode

http://gyazo.com/688640579f655f6cb3cb631b6f448c1a

Shel in Hard Mode (His AS is still 19 by the way)

http://gyazo.com/e06378e22979c93d4ba417deec6c5629

When you combine his increased stats with the fact that your units won't be as strong and the generic enemies are stronger too, the stage becomes quite difficult.

Plus you wouldn't be doubling him with most of your characters.

EDIT: I'm looking at it now and... He had 50-60% hit-rates on your characters? Other than the four characters who are able to get a weapon triangle advantage on him, I've never seen it that low. I've seen 70% on faster characters for sure, but it seems like those lower hit-rates would only be possible with a super-levelled character or people with A supports. Tell me if I'm wrong though.

Feel like most of the bosses late game were solable with ease lol. Whats up with Bran's son btw? He can't even fight back against ranged units which is a travesty in my opinion.

I think he should be able to move. Not that he would be dangerous that way either but at least not laughable. My tankier characters can take 3 hits from him and he can't double most of them.

Again like I mentioned before not a problem with your hack but in fire emblem in general. I always hated underwhelming bosses.

Yeah, lol, I'm not sure honestly. At one point, I had him moving, then I didn't, then I did and then he wasn't again. And yeah, he isn't that hard even when he moves.

I see what you're both saying though and I might give the bosses some slight buffs.

But I suppose the best explanation for why the bosses aren't that hard later on is just that after several times of going through this hack myself, there are times when the bosses can end up being slightly tougher than usual, so as a result, I decided to put them on the middle ground in terms of difficulty instead of just making them be able to stomp your units if you're unlucky. For the most part, it just seems like you can have a boss that's either meant to kill you (usually in an annoying way) or meant to get destroyed by your units.

It was easier to do bosses in the early-game of course as well, because it was easier to predict what your units stats would be in relation to theirs.

EDIT: Also, in general - if people don't mind, I would appreciate seeing character stats at certain points, because it will help with me trying to change bosses and enemies stats around a little bit. If I just go off my own experiences then it just makes it a lot more work to do.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Oops. Was going entirely off Val / Keiran who had A supports with each other (50% hit on Val, 70% on Keiran), because I only really needed those two to clear the chapter. Just checked again and hitrates are fine.

Speaking of which, why the hell are their supports so hard to build, and then it just ends with him being a wallflower!?

Oops. Was going entirely off Val / Keiran who had A supports with each other (50% hit on Val, 70% on Keiran), because I only really needed those two to clear the chapter. Just checked again and hitrates are fine.

Speaking of which, why the hell are their supports so hard to build, and then it just ends with him being a wallflower!?

Yeah, alright, fair enough.

Because it's not canon.

Because I like to sink ships and toy with emotions.

[spoiler=Keiran and ending spoilers]

I don't know what to tell you, really.

It fits in more naturally with his character and stuff, I guess. Considering who he is through all of his supports and his normal ending and other paired ending (Katarina), I don't imagine that he'd stick around and be all lovey dovey with Valentine or anything. This paired ending basically just keeps him in the picture, above all else.

Not to mention if he did get with her, that would make him the co-ruler of the continent. I don't imagine that he'd really take on that role well.

His relationship with the woman that died before was kind of like this as well.

As for the support being hard to build, it's mostly because it's not one of his main ones. It's his second hardest to build (with Linda being the hardest).

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Colored me impressed. Since I have some spare time again and a comp, I look foward to seeing how well your rom entertains me. Not everyday someone just drops a completed game in our laps.

Hey SacredBlaze, I'm having a blast playing this right now, the whole game is fantastic. There is one thing though I'm on Chapter 23: The Imprisoned and just beat the first boss on the ballistae, but I can't get past the doors there. I've tried using door keys but they won't work. Is there another way to get through that I'm just not seeing? Like using Edward and his lockpicks? Thanks

@RadiantBrom

Sorry I didn't get to this earlier.

There are switch tiles on the map that you need to step on to open the doors. The first one is right above where the Sniper Boss.(The different looking tile) There are others on the map you'll need to step on later as well.

EDIT: To everyone, really. I'll be uploading a new patch hopefully at the end of the week that fixes up a few things. The bigger changes I have in mind will only be late-game stuff, (like chapters 17-Final) but there may be some character rebalances along the way. As such, it might be worth waiting until then, but it shouldn't matter too much for the early game. (Prologue-Chapter8)

Edited by Sacred Blaze

@Sacred Blaze

No worries, it was actually a pretty speedy response. Huh I totaly thought that tile was just for show haha. I may actually wait to finish the game if the late game changes are big. It's weird to say but I've actually enjoyed playing this more than a lot of actual Fire Emblems, the charater development and story are especially on point.
Thanks a bunch again!

Beat this last week.

I feel compelled to nitpick; beg your pardon. I loved the game, and took great pleasure in getting through it. The dialogue remained of a high quality throughout. I confess that I wanted to see character flaws be more pronounced... but this is not a criticism that excludes canon Fire Emblem games, of course. You set your characters up to be way more expressive and nuanced than your average FE protagonists. In particular, I thought I'd like to have seen the Olva family go through a little more hardship after retaking their home castle. For instance, Andrei's treatment of Drake early on foreshadowed a much bigger mistake, as did Val's singular episode of rage. Yet, Ash is the only one who pays any kind of price, and because we know he's doomed, that doesn't carry much dramatic weight... apart from maybe sympathy for Alicia. Remember: I'm nitpicking. There is a ton of potential for some more twists and turns after Bran's demise, were the game a little bit longer. Others besides the main characters seemed glossed-over as well: Thelma, for instance, seemed interesting and could have used more stage time (cool design as well).

I don't mind the dip in difficulty as much as other posters, here--it was more about being immersed in the world for me, as it always is with my favorite RPGs. A satisfying endgame challenge wouldn't hurt, though. I was surprised not to see promoted enemy units until way late.

Again - great job. :)

Beat this last week.

I feel compelled to nitpick; beg your pardon. I loved the game, and took great pleasure in getting through it. The dialogue remained of a high quality throughout. I confess that I wanted to see character flaws be more pronounced... but this is not a criticism that excludes canon Fire Emblem games, of course. You set your characters up to be way more expressive and nuanced than your average FE protagonists. In particular, I thought I'd like to have seen the Olva family go through a little more hardship after retaking their home castle. For instance, Andrei's treatment of Drake early on foreshadowed a much bigger mistake, as did Val's singular episode of rage. Yet, Ash is the only one who pays any kind of price, and because we know he's doomed, that doesn't carry much dramatic weight... apart from maybe sympathy for Alicia. Remember: I'm nitpicking. There is a ton of potential for some more twists and turns after Bran's demise, were the game a little bit longer. Others besides the main characters seemed glossed-over as well: Thelma, for instance, seemed interesting and could have used more stage time (cool design as well).

I don't mind the dip in difficulty as much as other posters, here--it was more about being immersed in the world for me, as it always is with my favorite RPGs. A satisfying endgame challenge wouldn't hurt, though. I was surprised not to see promoted enemy units until way late.

Again - great job. :)

Ah, it's no problem. They're fair criticisms anyway.

[spoiler=Response]

On the point about the Olva family, I definitely see what you're saying. I could have and probably would have liked to do a lot more with the other characters, but the main problems that would have caused for me was either:

A) Having to make scenes extra long just to involve the other characters or add a bunch of extra dialogue. Not terrible, but things could get dragged out quite a bit.

B) Creating extra chapters to deal with the other characters, which obviously isn't that bad, but takes quite a bit of time for me. :( Not to mention that I'd have to deal with balancing issues with characters after creating them and probably have to make reductions or massive changes to the currently existing stages.

In the end though, yeah I kind of just had to settle for chapter 19x, to basically just wrap up the end of the the whole "Taking back Olva arc of the story". Ash was the main character after all, so things kind of needed to get back on track with him.

On the other points:

• Yeah, I remember that in a much earlier version of the game things went in a slightly different direction after beating Bran. Instead of straight away just kicking into the final arc, they actually went after Matthias and then after that went into the final arc.
  • It's funny that you say that about Thelma because she wasn't even a character that you got originally, lol. In Originally, Megelar was essentially completely destroyed, so there really wasn't anyone left. So that's the main reason she just got pushed in at the end there with no great justification.
  • After having recently played through Normal mode myself, I am seeing people's points about just how easy it can be in the late-game, especially when you know literally the optimal way to handle things. Although, it should be noted that I didn't actually design this to a challenge hack, really. The first few chapters just... happened to be quite difficult and I left it that way. As much as I would have liked to keep things that way I got lazy guess things just didn't pan out.

In the end though, it's just a FE hack and my attempt to salvage and improve upon something that I made back in 2012, so I'm glad that it's turned out alright, despite it still having some problems.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Well lets just say this. I found Legato so easy that I was farming for a support while fighting him. I was trying to get the Keiran support to B. So I had Legato attack Skye over and over. Took him 3 hits to kill so I could easily heal him with Ashe.

1v1 he loses to half of my guys quite handily. A few of my guys can double him and the tankier ones can take 3 hits from him. If I swarm him with ranged units he dies instantly. His stats are marginally higher than my strongest guys on normal.

All of my guys are around level 10, promoted at 20.

Hello again, everyone.

A new patch has now been uploaded, (1.3) which should deal with some of the issues that have come up since the previous one.

Just to avoid any issues, it's probably best to restart or finish any chapters you're currently on.

As always, please let me know about anything you encounter that seems off or really bad, because I can't guarantee that I've sorted everything out.

Important Changes in 1.3: (See Readme for more)

Chest/Door keys have more availability.

Boss changes (Doesn't mean they're ridiculously strong, just... not as weak.)

Some unit re-balances.

EDIT: The character Kenrick unfortunately won't be fixed (for the exp bug) unless you didn't have him before you patch though, because I had to change his class slot to a different one.

EDIT: Patch is ready to go again. May undergo slight edits however.

Edited by Sacred Blaze

Made an account just to thank you for making this mod and releasing it here. It's almost definitely the best mod I've ever played, and might be one of the best fire emblem games I've played in general.

My question: How many hours (total, estimate) did it take you to make this mod? I've always wanted to do one, but I'm not sure I have the time.

Thanks again for making a great game.

Thanks for that.

I can't give you specifics on how long it took me make, but just know that it was about a two-year on and off commitment of work to bring this to the state it's currently at. So yeah, it's a big time-sink, especially for a larger project like this.

If I had tried to work up the quality of certain areas of the game to the level of other projects around here, it probably would have been way longer as well. (This is relatively bare-bones in comparison to others.)

If you wanted to do one for yourself, you'd definitely want to start off with something smaller and just work on it when you can. That's what I did at first. For me, I feel that the "having the time" issue was only really a problem when you didn't want to it in the first place. As long as you're willing to just keep at it though, the progress will show eventually and things will generally get easier.

Please help, Val can't seize ch.5.

That's weird...

http://gyazo.com/581ca95ccd58c74f874164584dc9ce30

I just tried the version of the patch that I have up currently and this didn't occur for me. There shouldn't be anything that would block her ability to seize either.

Re-download, maybe?

I'll try and look into this, but I've never come across this issue before, sorry.

That's weird...

http://gyazo.com/581ca95ccd58c74f874164584dc9ce30

I just tried the version of the patch that I have up currently and this didn't occur for me. There shouldn't be anything that would block her ability to seize either.

Re-download, maybe?

I'll try and look into this, but I've never come across this issue before, sorry.

Maybe the original rom which I use to patch is not correct, can you upload the pached rom?