SF FE 0 Wiki Updating

FutureKnightX

The Cipher TCG is releasing this week in Japan (alongside Fates) and the first set has already been fully leaked (with a number of translations pending). Here is the homepage to the wiki this site operates for that TCG: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_TCG

Kinda barren, huh? Yeah, that needs some serious updating, especially as this wiki easily has the potential to be the center for all info pertaining to that TCG for English players. What I'm asking here is for help bringing this wiki up to date. I plan on uploading some cards soon and it would be great if others would help out, either by doing more edits or by cleaning up pages. Translators would also be nice in order to speed up the process, but not entirely necessary.

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Template:FETCG0

Also, if anyone knows how to clean up that, it would be most awesome. I'm thinking getting rid of any of the superfluous stuff, in addition to making the image cover the entire left column there. For those wondering when certain things were added to that (like "insignia" and "ability 3"), I added those. A fourth ability box was needed due to the Anna card having four effects.

Edited by FutureKnightX

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly the big reason I haven't started putting things on the wiki is that I don't know how it works. I could easily start copying and pasting from my translation documents if I knew precisely how the wiki system on this site works. How exactly does one create a new page (like for each card)? Create a new sub-section (for ease of searching among skills, classes, etc)?

I've been afraid I'll mess things up, but I definitely want to help get this wiki running as soon as possible. I'm aiming to have completed tentative translations for all fields of all cards by the release tomorrow (25th Japan time), so all the information will be there. I just need to know how best to transfer the information over to the wiki.

A couple suggestions I would have is to mimic some of the organizational design decisions that this Japanese Cipher wiki site has:

-Accessible sidebar with links to Promo, Starter Deck, and Booster sections

-A master Series 1 list
-List pages compiled for each shared skill, class, character name, etc.

Totally awesome that you did all that, Scarlet! Really! You're smart and got all that down, but it's clear you're not entirely sure how wikis are formatted. You got the template down and everything, but the name of the page needs to be the name of the card. Also, you gotta make sure the images don't already exist on the wiki (in this case, it's understandable you weren't aware, but I uploaded all the images from the set last night and meant to say something here, but got caught up in Fates news lol).

Here is a link to the list of uploaded files (which includes images): http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Special:ListFiles

Also, for cards, the images have got to be PNG if it's an image the wiki is to be keeping indefinitely, since PNG is a higher quality than JPG. And you don't need to add the character's names to the image names, just the set number is fine. To clarify, I have experience in working on TCG wikis and did far worse than you. In fact, you did stuff I still can't do, so, once again, good job! But it's important to have feedback like this. As for why I have to clarify like this, I also have experience with people not reacting well to my feedback...

Totally awesome that you did all that, Scarlet! Really! You're smart and got all that down, but it's clear you're not entirely sure how wikis are formatted. You got the template down and everything, but the name of the page needs to be the name of the card.

I was planning on using a full page to list every iteration of a card, so it wouldn't clutter up the Emblem Wiki.

But thanks for uploading all those files, though. Guess that's a load less work for all of us.

Gotta go, so here's my two cents:

1. Fixed the tag errors in the template.

2. Once I'm back home for good (and I stop getting 522 errors), I'll insert CONT/ACT/AUTO/SUPP/etc. in place of the symbols. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll attempt to add a card or two!

You know, Scarlet, that isn't a bad idea. I mean, how many cards will one character have, anyways? Marth has the most with five (he's getting a V Jump promo, making him have a card for each cost of 1-5) and it's not like he's bound to get many more anytime soon. Yeah, that could be a way to reduce the number of pages. If it does get to be too much, we will have to make a page for each card, with a page for each character, linking to each of their cards, but I only see that happening if a page reaches more than ten cards or something.

And thanks, Eclipse! I was worried about those tags and they bugged me too, but I didn't feel confident enough in my abilities to remove those without making things worse. And I realized that "booster series" was never added, so I added it and it didn't make things worse, so I'm glad. It's important for people to know where the cards come from in order to know how to obtain the cards. And please do add those symbols. That would be a big help!

So the wiki hates me and isn't letting me log in. While I try to iron that out. . .here's what I intend on using for abbreviations:

ACT - skill that requires an action (red symbol)

CONT - skill that's always active? (green symbol)

SPEC - special skill (purple symbol)

SELF - whatever that blue symbol is supposed to be

SUPP - supporting skill

CCS - class change skill

FS - formation skill

I'm not sure if this is the exact same thing Touya mentioned earlier. Hopefully, the many host errors will be in the very near future.

EDIT: Cleaned up the stuff ScarletFlame posted, and fixed the template so that the picture takes up the entire left side of the table. If you want a separate row between entries (This is no separator row), please let me know, and I should be able to silently incorporate that into the template/existing pages.

Once the stylistic issues are done, I'll attempt some of the unpromoted cards. Unfortunately, I'm a bit fuzzy on how promotion cost works, so I'll hold off on the other cards.

Edited by eclipse

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Fire_Emblem_TCG

I started up some preliminary pages for each color, as you can see there. I also added links to nonexistent pages in each of those pages that should suddenly work when the pages exist. As for the pages for the Nohr and Hoshido cards, I just put up links to characters confirmed to be getting cards. I'll add the one white card we have full knowledge of (a male Corrin promo) later, if I can find a good image (or one gets uploaded).

If anyone can help me come up with ideas for that "guide to editing" thing I also put up there. Basically, I want that page to teach hopeful editors how to add cards to the wiki while also showing them how it works, formatting wise (which we don't even fully know yet! lol). Basically, what I mean by that is, stuff like all the cards for a character go in one page and all of those pages should go by the character's name followed by "(Cipher)", to differentiate the page from their character pages on other parts of that wiki.

My goal is to have every known card translated and added to that wiki by the end of the week! We can do it guys!

I can help out with the translations as well, but how do you even register for the wiki in the first place? :/

Are you guys gonna use localized English names for both character and class names as well?

If you wanna lend a hand in translating, there's another thread in this subforum for that.

If you want to register for the Emblem Wiki, then PM VincentASM your desired username, and some sort of confirmation that you are not, in fact, housing the thirteenth Arcana Shadow within you.

On it~!

I've also rearranged the cards by grade order, because we don't have a listing for card number!

EDIT: WTF, that wasn't Preview~! Gimme a sec to undo that.

EDIT 2: Crisis averted. Now, back to Abel! Did you want me to preserve the card number order, or the grade order?

Edited by eclipse

Fixed! I mixed up the order of a couple of tags.

I think we should leave a note on who's working on what. Since it looks like someone's getting Archanea, I'll ditch Abel (sorry love, I'm a Cain girl) and start from the rest of Chrom.

Yeah, Cain is oh so very superior to Abel. There's a reason he was on the short list of cards people could vote on to get sleeves while Abel didn't.

Anyways, can you work down the Awakening part of the set and I'll work up (starting with Anna)? The set numbers clump all of the cards of a character together, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Watch, you'll do more work than me lol :P

EDIT: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Anna_%28Cipher%29

There is my effort in making a page for Anna, but I'm not entire sure where I went wrong. Can someone check my editing work to see what the issue is? Is it the template? Also, how do you add a card to a category? I noticed this page is already tagged as part of the TCG, but not as a Blue card. At some point we need to do the same for all the affinities and powers, but let's get the cards up first and have them easily accessible from the home page.

EDIT2: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Guide_to_editing_on_the_FE0_Wiki

I figured I should make that page. If anyone has any questions or comments about that page, then lay it on me! And after I made that page, it has become apparent the issue may lie with the template seeing that table should be completely blank in the "insignia", "other", "promo cost", and "booster series" areas and those are the issues with the Anna page I made.

I'll continue adding cards in, despite these issues, in the hopes that when the template is fixed, so will those pages.

Edited by FutureKnightX

Rather than deal with Wikimedia formatting/templates, I put it in as straight HTML. Anna should work now!

I'll fiddle with Wikimedia-specific formatting and everything after Robin tomorrow!

Alright, that is an okay stop-gap measure, but we need to get that template up and running so we (nor any noob editors) have to deal with all that text. Plus, we can update whole pages at once when updating the template, rather than having to go back and fix every page. On another note:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Tiki_%28Cipher%29

Kinda made that in the time you made your post lol.

It would be nice with a template. I could make more cards if I didnt need to have to copy the icons like α from your Cardfight Vanguard Profile Future. So if there could be a button to automatically add those icons in. That would be nice. Also I have both the Normal Cordelia and Promoted Cordelia in OLD Format ready if you want them. I just dont have a wiki account since Im not sure if my account here works over there.

You'll need to PM VincentASM for an account. I've been copy-pasting the translations done by aubergine, and manually changing the symbols to CONT/ACT/etc.

Bringing over from the translation thread.

So I think that we sorely need to make a complete English-language setlist for S01, S02, B01 and promotional cards. I don't know if anyone's been working on this already, but I tried drawing up a basic page on the wiki to brainstorm some options for presenting the information, using the same basic structure as the CFV wiki's set pages but adding additional categories: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Booster_Set_1:_Warblade_of_Heroes

We could also try tables that look more like what Bulbapedia uses for their setlists: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Base_Set_%28TCG%29

I think that the Bulbapedia route of including the symbol a card belongs to may work better for Cipher, since there's only going to be a maximum nine or so "clans" in this game for a long time coming. The official website has its own setlist in Japanese that we can go from for set numbers: http://fecipher.jp/cards/BT0001.html

Since we're already grouping cards under their character name, it should be a matter of having the card's actual name in the set and then linking over to its Cipher page in the setlist. The downside to how we have it now is that if there's too many cards in a single character's page, all of those PNG files are going to cause slow load times for some users.

We should also establish how we're going to call the different colors as well. Do we just say red and blue? What about the Hoshido/Nohr sides where the border is white/black but the interior circles are pink/purple? And what if the game does get villains from the Archanea/Ylisse universes that are red/blue but have different symbols since they're not on Marth's/Chrom's side? The Japanese Cipher wiki was referring to cards from Marth's side as War of Darkness cards and Chrom's as Awakening cards, but made the jump to the official site's terminology after it revamped. The official website calls them Sword of Light (光の剣) and Brand of the Exalt (聖痕 Seikon; stigmata. IIRC this is what the Brand of the Exalt is called in Japanese, but it's been called the Mark of Naga in fantranslations? I didn't follow Awakening's translation progress that closely). However, the internal file names on the official website for the symbols are icon_ankoku_clear.png and icon_kakusei_clear.png, even in the B01 setlist. That lends credence to the War of Darkness and Awakening translations. Whatever we choose, it needs to be consistently applied to avoid confusion and help the game quickly get a foothold with English-speaking fans.

These suggestions might be better seen in the SF FE 0 Wiki Updating thread.

I honestly feel like each card should have it's own page, much akin to the Japanese Cipher. Having multiple cards per character page could get confusing and hard to reference later.

I definitely agree we need a setlist, and I like the way yours is looking Touya. Would it be better to list cards by the Card ID like the Official Site instead though?

In reference to a card's classification to a set, I agree that color is too vague to get everything across. I had been using the terms "Shadow Dragon" and "Awakening" in order to help ease people into cards, but yeah with the advent of Nohr and Hoshido being to armies of one single game, using game names as a signifier should be rethought. I like the idea of using the official localization of the Japanese Cipher site terms "Sword of Light" and "Brand of the Exalt", though in my personal opinion I feel "Mark of Naga" would fit better than "Brand of the Exalt". The phrase matches the same structure as that of "Sword of Light" and if I'm not mistaken Mark of Naga is just as correct as Brand of the Exalt, with both being used in the official localization of Awakening.

I prefer giving each card its own page as well, and if everyone else is on board with that then I am too. I'm for Mark of Naga as well, Brand of the Exalt is a mouthful and would look really bad on pages. I tried revising the way I have the page setup to include images of the cards (using official samples right now because auction scans are really low quality) as well as integrating the symbols in place of names. I realized that the rarity is a redundant column when we can just include it in the set number, and officially the rarity is part of the set number according to fecipher.jp's setlist. Should we go with "unpromoted" or "basic"?

I will probably not have a ton of time to help out with the wiki, I'm just trying to get things started here, so I do want to know how receptive everybody else is to these ideas.

I'm going to be really busy over the next couple of days, so I don't think I'll have time to do much editing!

I suppose having each card with its own page would work, if this was a wiki dedicated to Cipher. However, we're sharing it with a bunch of other things, and I don't know how page limits and the like would work (or if I should even consider such a thing). Assuming each booster set has 100 cards, things could get cluttered really quickly.

Lastly, I prefer "unpromoted" over "basic", since promotion is a game mechanic.

Sorry for the confusion!

You can use the template more easily by filling in this form, rather than copying the HTML code each time:

{{FETCG0|image = Card image|name = Name of character|title = Character's title|promotion = Non-promoted, promoted or special|class = Character's class|range = Range|insignia = Game series colour|gender = Gender|weapon = Weapon|other = Other affinities|cost = Cost|promotion_cost = Promotion cost|set_number = Set number|illustrator = Illustrator|attack = Attack|support = Support|quote = Character's quote|ability1 = 1st ability|ability2 = 2nd ability|ability3 = 3rd ability|ability4 = 4th ability|comment = Additional comments|}}

Or once you get used to it:

{{FETCG0|image =|name =|title =|promotion =|class =|range =|insignia =|gender =|weapon =|other =|cost =|promotion_cost =|set_number =|illustrator =|attack =|support =|quote =|ability1 =|ability2 =|ability3 =|ability4 =|comment =|}}

That way, whenever we adjust the template, any changes will be reflected in the pages that use it.

Edited by VincentASM