"I just want to know one thing!" - Fire Emblem: Fates

Rapier

18 hours ago, BANRYU said:

How important or essential for Ophelia's early performance is Vantage? (for sake of argument lessay it's Elise!Ophelia)

This is under assumption that Vantage will get dropped on her lategame. 

She's always going to be good, but she doesn't have Odin's bulk. She'll have a harder time taking on hordes of enemies because she might not be able to keep her health up. You don't really want her to be nos tanking (except to get her lvls going), but it's an option. Her inherent high SPD/MAG/SKL/Crit makes her a great mage even without vantage. Vantage pushes her over the edge into god tier. Soloing maps god tier.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/26/2018 at 3:31 PM, Centh said:

She's always going to be good, but she doesn't have Odin's bulk. She'll have a harder time taking on hordes of enemies because she might not be able to keep her health up. You don't really want her to be nos tanking (except to get her lvls going), but it's an option. Her inherent high SPD/MAG/SKL/Crit makes her a great mage even without vantage. Vantage pushes her over the edge into god tier. Soloing maps god tier.

Bold: With all due respect, I cannot agree with this. At all. Actively relying on luck in Murphy's Law: The Game is an easy way to get screwed over.

Edited by Shadow Mir

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.7.2018 at 4:16 AM, BANRYU said:

How important or essential for Ophelia's early performance is Vantage? (for sake of argument lessay it's Elise!Ophelia)

I do not think it's important for her at all.
There are very few enemies who Ophelia can kill in 1 hit, meaning she would take a hit on enemy phase either way. That's really all there is to it.

Don't put her up against physical enemies unless their attack is weak and you are using Nosferatu. She can easily handle groups of magical enemies.

Edit: I wanna drop a note here that Lightning only double attacks on Player phase, which means you cannot use it to kill enemies before their counter with Vantage.

Edited by Luke Herzen

On 8/12/2018 at 5:48 AM, Luke Herzen said:

I do not think it's important for her at all.
There are very few enemies who Ophelia can kill in 1 hit, meaning she would take a hit on enemy phase either way. That's really all there is to it.

Don't put her up against physical enemies unless their attack is weak and you are using Nosferatu. She can easily handle groups of magical enemies.

Edit: I wanna drop a note here that Lightning only double attacks on Player phase, which means you cannot use it to kill enemies before their counter with Vantage.

Vantange lets her get 5+ level ups on her join chapter without being in danger. I send her to the top right village with Camilla/Beruka/Leo in backpack and a nos tome. She can tank and eventually kill everything on that side, including reinforcements. I do this at chapter 13/14/15. Vantage + nos is the exp gravy train.

Ophelia one shots enemies once you get her ultimate form (vantage, high Mt forged tome, LaD, xp favoritism, and a high +mag backpack). You can also put her into range of physical units when she has natural WTA or using calamity gate. Good note on the lightning. It doesn't act like a classic brave weapon.

All of this assumes you're going to be investing HEAVILY (xp wise) in Odin, Ophelia herself, and the mother (I almost always go Corrin to passdown nobility). Vantange isn't worth it if you won't be using Odin much or don't want to go all in on Ophelia. Especially if you want to use early heart seals on someone else (Odin wants 2  the early 4 heart seals to pull this off). Lack of bulk is Ophelia's downside, which can be mitigated by Odin xp favoritism.

6 hours ago, Centh said:

Vantange lets her get 5+ level ups on her join chapter without being in danger. I send her to the top right village with Camilla/Beruka/Leo in backpack and a nos tome. She can tank and eventually kill everything on that side, including reinforcements. I do this at chapter 13/14/15. Vantage + nos is the exp gravy train.

Ophelia one shots enemies once you get her ultimate form (vantage, high Mt forged tome, LaD, xp favoritism, and a high +mag backpack). You can also put her into range of physical units when she has natural WTA or using calamity gate. Good note on the lightning. It doesn't act like a classic brave weapon.

All of this assumes you're going to be investing HEAVILY (xp wise) in Odin, Ophelia herself, and the mother (I almost always go Corrin to passdown nobility). Vantange isn't worth it if you won't be using Odin much or don't want to go all in on Ophelia. Especially if you want to use early heart seals on someone else (Odin wants 2  the early 4 heart seals to pull this off). Lack of bulk is Ophelia's downside, which can be mitigated by Odin xp favoritism.

Because it;'s not like this is going to be relevant until the game is nearly over, right? Oh wait, that's precisely what is the case. Also, I don't know about you, but I don't exactly like actively relying on luck in this game (basically using high-risk setups and praying everything goes right, because odds are something will go wrong).

hi resident ophelia nerd here to talk ophelia

On 7/25/2018 at 7:16 PM, BANRYU said:

It's really not essential or anything but it's not bad. Can save her in a scrape if she's low on health and able to charge the shield bar with a single attack, but otherwise not too amazing on her in most situations. With groups of weaker enemies she can possibly clean up with Nos + Vantage but unfortunately, Nosferatu is pretty bad accuracy wise, and so is her Skill, especially Elise!Ophelia. She carries over the one trait from her mother that's pretty much the worst for her.

By late game it's absolutely amazing on her. Excalibur (Or another high Mt tome, however most have a massive disadvantage like reducing stats or halving magic which this style of using her really doesn't like. A high forge tome could work, but that's expensive and likely requires DLC), Vantage, LnD combined makes her an absolute killing machine, able to indeed solo maps. But that's the very end of the game, literally being possible for 2 chapters before the credits, and requires some precise setup, so for the sake of this, no, Vantage isn't really important.

But to be honest, it's likely the best skill she's able to get from Odin unless he has Astra (which is subjective anyways, Astra proc is really low chance anyways and Dark Mage/Sorc Skill is low cap) so assuming I'm reading the situation correctly go for it. Duelist Blow is good but most of the time she's fighting Melee at ranged, Bows close up or with WTA on them, Mages with her solid Res, or please dear god do not make her fight ninjas without calamity gate.
Er, which you probably already did since this was like almost a month ago why am i responding to this

11 hours ago, Centh said:

Ophelia one shots enemies once you get her ultimate form (vantage, high Mt forged tome, LaD, xp favoritism, and a high +mag backpack). You can also put her into range of physical units when she has natural WTA or using calamity gate.

Bold: Uh, I kind of want to test this on different modes now... with different Ophelias...
I think that would depend on Odin and her mother's stats and when the chapter was accessed. If Odin and her mother are like, barely trained (Especially Odin since his Def would actually be the thing to bump up Ophelia's) she's likely to die in one shot. Same for later recruitment, those Generals will hit her hard with WTA and considering she can't double with Nosferatu, it'd be unlikely for her to survive.

Italic: For like, a few chapters, dude. Unless you do My Castle skill buying. So... no, that's really not a boon to her. Realistically she'd be able to get LnD around maybe ch 23-25 with optimal exp distribution to her. By then she'd probably also really want Shurikenbreaker to deal with those damn Master Ninjas. But hey, those would be some damn good chapters.

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Because it;'s not like this is going to be relevant until the game is nearly over, right? Oh wait, that's precisely what is the case. Also, I don't know about you, but I don't exactly like actively relying on luck in this game (basically using high-risk setups and praying everything goes right, because odds are something will go wrong).

besides the fact we all already know you hate luck, levant The setup is actually pretty clean luck wise. So long as she has a good partner (A-S Support and a Skl boosting class) she's likely to have a ~100 hit rate. Combine that with being able to OHKO most stuff (Besides Ninjas, which is why A+ Soleil, Nyx mother or Merc/Outlaw!Avatar mother is extremely good for her because of Shurikenbreaker) thanks to her high Mag and a strong tome, it's really good.
The issues really pop up with it only being extremely good for a small chunk of the game, Excal being exclusive for the last 2 chapters (it's extremely good for this strat since it has no Mag reducing penalties, only Def/Res reducing ones which don't matter, plus it adds to her Crit rate which she can use well) and it generally requiring a lot of focus on her resource wise, especially if you want to use it before Ch 27 and getting Excal. It's really just more of a "for fun" type deal than something players should be actively going for any time they want to use Ophelia.

Edited by Emerson

I had a quick look at the enemy stats. She can OHKO the majority of low-Res enemies throughout the midgame. Once you reach the Rally Magic / Life and Death point of the game she sort of starts OHKOing everything else as well.

I get her full build up by Ch 21-23. She still one shots most mobs even before LaD. Nothing is promoted in her chapter for ch. 13/14/15 completion, so nothing can one shot her. Dual guard + vantage + nos + village bathes her in risk free xp. If you're not training Odin and mother, then it doesn't really work, which is what I've said.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2018 at 3:24 AM, Emerson said:

hi resident ophelia nerd here to talk ophelia

It's really not essential or anything but it's not bad. Can save her in a scrape if she's low on health and able to charge the shield bar with a single attack, but otherwise not too amazing on her in most situations. With groups of weaker enemies she can possibly clean up with Nos + Vantage but unfortunately, Nosferatu is pretty bad accuracy wise, and so is her Skill, especially Elise!Ophelia. She carries over the one trait from her mother that's pretty much the worst for her.

By late game it's absolutely amazing on her. Excalibur (Or another high Mt tome, however most have a massive disadvantage like reducing stats or halving magic which this style of using her really doesn't like. A high forge tome could work, but that's expensive and likely requires DLC), Vantage, LnD combined makes her an absolute killing machine, able to indeed solo maps. But that's the very end of the game, literally being possible for 2 chapters before the credits, and requires some precise setup, so for the sake of this, no, Vantage isn't really important.

But to be honest, it's likely the best skill she's able to get from Odin unless he has Astra (which is subjective anyways, Astra proc is really low chance anyways and Dark Mage/Sorc Skill is low cap) so assuming I'm reading the situation correctly go for it. Duelist Blow is good but most of the time she's fighting Melee at ranged, Bows close up or with WTA on them, Mages with her solid Res, or please dear god do not make her fight ninjas without calamity gate.
Er, which you probably already did since this was like almost a month ago why am i responding to this

Bold: Uh, I kind of want to test this on different modes now... with different Ophelias...
I think that would depend on Odin and her mother's stats and when the chapter was accessed. If Odin and her mother are like, barely trained (Especially Odin since his Def would actually be the thing to bump up Ophelia's) she's likely to die in one shot. Same for later recruitment, those Generals will hit her hard with WTA and considering she can't double with Nosferatu, it'd be unlikely for her to survive.

Italic: For like, a few chapters, dude. Unless you do My Castle skill buying. So... no, that's really not a boon to her. Realistically she'd be able to get LnD around maybe ch 23-25 with optimal exp distribution to her. By then she'd probably also really want Shurikenbreaker to deal with those damn Master Ninjas. But hey, those would be some damn good chapters.

besides the fact we all already know you hate luck, levant The setup is actually pretty clean luck wise. So long as she has a good partner (A-S Support and a Skl boosting class) she's likely to have a ~100 hit rate. Combine that with being able to OHKO most stuff (Besides Ninjas, which is why A+ Soleil, Nyx mother or Merc/Outlaw!Avatar mother is extremely good for her because of Shurikenbreaker) thanks to her high Mag and a strong tome, it's really good.
The issues really pop up with it only being extremely good for a small chunk of the game, Excal being exclusive for the last 2 chapters (it's extremely good for this strat since it has no Mag reducing penalties, only Def/Res reducing ones which don't matter, plus it adds to her Crit rate which she can use well) and it generally requiring a lot of focus on her resource wise, especially if you want to use it before Ch 27 and getting Excal. It's really just more of a "for fun" type deal than something players should be actively going for any time they want to use Ophelia.

Well, with all due respect, the fact that it requires two level 15 skills, one of which would require specific parenting or a specific A+, and definitely requires her spending time in a physical class when she likely isn't going to be specced to do well in such classes, is disqualifying. As is the fact that it requires two level 15 skills in a game where they're practically Last Disc Magic.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, with all due respect, the fact that it requires two level 15 skills, one of which would require specific parenting or a specific A+, and definitely requires her spending time in a physical class when she likely isn't going to be specced to do well in such classes, is disqualifying. As is the fact that it requires two level 15 skills in a game where they're practically Last Disc Magic.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:24 AM, Emerson said:

It's really just more of a "for fun" type deal than something players should be actively going for any time they want to use Ophelia.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dean said:

Was there ever much tiering discussion on these forums? I'm wondering if we have anything much more recent than, say, the Reddit tier lists, which are somewhat old by now.

Not to my knowledge. The only tier lists I know are pretty old, and of questionable quality to boot.

Tiering is a little weird in fates. It ends up becoming more of a cost efficiency and availability tier list (assuming brisk pace, not LTC). Lots of builds work really well, but have different requirements/investments. Going early cav Dwyer is really strong, with dragon talent MU, but costs a HS someone else wants. Ryoma effectively ends the game on recruitment in BR, but you don't get him until chapter 16 or something (not bad but not early). PKL (user) has a tier list and I think Shephen and a few others have some on the subreddit. A fair amount comes down to preference, once you get past bad units (like Odin in rev, mozu except maybe for conquest, Benny, etc). Nothing else has really come around.

Many of the old lists have old builds, like you mentioned. From my reading and experience, here are some strong builds (which can be accomplished by multiple units in different ways): vantage!Sorc, dmg stack+sol!MN, aura bots, rally bots, and a few PP builds (kill target, debuff, lunge). Some units themselves are their own build. Ryoma and Xander are notable examples (Ryoma with MN pairup, Xander with SPD pair up + all the talisman).

15 hours ago, Centh said:

Tiering is a little weird in fates. It ends up becoming more of a cost efficiency and availability tier list (assuming brisk pace, not LTC). Lots of builds work really well, but have different requirements/investments. Going early cav Dwyer is really strong, with dragon talent MU, but costs a HS someone else wants. Ryoma effectively ends the game on recruitment in BR, but you don't get him until chapter 16 or something (not bad but not early). PKL (user) has a tier list and I think Shephen and a few others have some on the subreddit. A fair amount comes down to preference, once you get past bad units (like Odin in rev, mozu except maybe for conquest, Benny, etc). Nothing else has really come around.

Many of the old lists have old builds, like you mentioned. From my reading and experience, here are some strong builds (which can be accomplished by multiple units in different ways): vantage!Sorc, dmg stack+sol!MN, aura bots, rally bots, and a few PP builds (kill target, debuff, lunge). Some units themselves are their own build. Ryoma and Xander are notable examples (Ryoma with MN pairup, Xander with SPD pair up + all the talisman).

On that note, PKL's tier list was buried and the only other tier lists are made by someone who honestly does not know the first thing about tiering. Also, no list of bad units is complete without Arthur, Charlotte, and Odin (sure, he's awful in Revelation, but I would argue that he's still far more trouble than he's worth in Conquest and his only use is to marry off to get an actually good mage).

I fail to see Sol Master Ninja as anything other than a half-assed gimmick - Sol is hot garbage in this game, to be blunt, and Master Ninjas are worm food after a few good hits (because in case you forgot, evade is unreliable). Rallybots are also more trouble than they're worth to set up unless you're buying skills.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Oh I remember PKL's list. That's a blast from the past. I remember he had Effie pretty high so I was somewhat sceptical of it but looking back over it it's not too bad for a 2016 list.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this like the general thread for this sub forum? Well.

I have started Fates for 1st time a couple days ago and just passed the chapter where i got Hinata and Oboro, since i thought the Blacksmith class looked interesting but didn't want to make Rinkah into one, i immediately used a Heart Seal + a Master Seal on Hinata. A waste of resources? Maybe. I haven't tried it in battle yet but i'm not exactly happy with the change because his model now looks weird.

I thought that since Fates had less reclass options that at least meant the change to the 2° one would look better but as both Savage and Blacksmith Hinata looks to have too small a head. In movement he looks great, still not so much.

Is this a common problem in reclassing on Fates? Or would it look more natural if say, i reclassed the avatar or the royals?

Edited by RexBolt

6 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Is this like the general thread for this sub forum? Well.

I have started Fates for 1st time a couple days ago and just passed the chapter where i got Hinata and Oboro, since i thought the Blacksmith class looked interesting but didn't want to make Rinkah into one, i immediately used a Heart Seal + a Master Seal on Hinata. A waste of resources? Maybe. I haven't tried it in battle yet but i'm not exactly happy with the change because his model now looks weird.

I thought that since Fates had less reclass options that at least meant the change to the 2° one would look better but as both Savage and Blacksmith Hinata looks to have too small a head. In movement he looks great, still not so much.

Is this a common problem in reclassing on Fates? Or would it look more natural if say, i reclassed the avatar or the royals?

There's a lot of reclassing in fates. Don't forget about Friendship and Partner seals. You get some for "free" from child paralogues.

I was doing some grinding with my Avatar as a Sniper to get Certain Blow and I got surrounded by Melee enemies and I couldn't attack anyone, so I had to get Azama, my healer, to either distract them or defeat one of them so my Avatar could fight back. Even then, their attack was just outmatched by my Avatar's defences, so they practically did 0 damage, and Draconic Hex did not help. So, what would happen if I had just one unit in battle, without access to Range 1 weapons (even from the Convoy) or usable reclassing Seals, surrounded on all four sides by Range 1 weapon users, who couldn't do any damage? Would I be stuck in a never-ending battle or would something happen to spare me having to go back to the last save?

32 minutes ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

So, what would happen if I had just one unit in battle, without access to Range 1 weapons (even from the Convoy) or usable reclassing Seals, surrounded on all four sides by Range 1 weapon users, who couldn't do any damage? Would I be stuck in a never-ending battle or would something happen to spare me having to go back to the last save?

Depends, do you like being boned?

There's no getting out of it, they'll just be stuck there for eternity.  Fates has no turn limit as far as I know, and I've let the turn counter reach up into the hundreds once or twice (I wouldn't recommend it).  You can only load an older save, that's why it's always ideal to at least send in another combat unit to help the 2-range unit, even if that combat unit is just another 2-range unit.  Ideally, you should have a few units to serve as a crutch/assistance for the 2-range unit.  Even if they don't do anything at all, it's still a good idea to have a contingency in case the enemy decides to screw you over (which they always will try to do so to the best of their ability).

Alternatively, you could just get Point Blank and forget about the fear of your archers getting penned in entirely.  Though that's assuming you have the final part of the Heirs of Fate DLC or the ability to hack (though if you can do the latter, there's no reason you can't just bruteforce your way out of that situation through some other method).

So... nothing really happens. Right, thanks. I was just curious, that was all.

I'm planning to use Point Blank for Takumi, since my Avatar is only being a Sniper just for the ability. I just gotta get my Avatar up one more level so they can earn Certain Blow. Since the challenge maps I currently have only yield like, 1 XP, I'll have to stick to castle battles (They give 1 XP when my Avatar's just four levels above them! And they're in advanced classes!) for now.

• 1 month later...

So, i just started chapter 26 of Birthright for the 1st time and have to know this: Was this chapter one of the cases of english translation totally changing stuff like they say happened a lot in Fates? I haven't minded much about that until now, but the dialogue and story is just so messy and lame in this scene! Like, i supose i should feel sad now? But all that happened makes no sense!

(I'm trying to be as vague as possible because i don't think i should post spoilers in this thread.)

11 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

So, i just started chapter 26 of Birthright for the 1st time and have to know this: Was this chapter one of the cases of english translation totally changing stuff like they say happened a lot in Fates? I haven't minded much about that until now, but the dialogue and story is just so messy and lame in this scene! Like, i supose i should feel sad now? But all that happened makes no sense!

(I'm trying to be as vague as possible because i don't think i should post spoilers in this thread.)

I doubt it. To my knowledge, the only noteworthy instances of the dialogue being changed were in the Saizo/Beruka support and the M Corrin/Soleil support.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys! Today I finally finished the Birthright path. I've watched a little bit about Abdallah's EndGame and I realized I have a far away to get good. Some advanced tips that I had never imagined before. Do it exists some free guide that I can be able to read and become better? Not just these links with those tips for beginners.

Also, do you guys have a group in Whatsapp that I can be a member?

Edited by Nicholas

On 12/25/2018 at 1:00 PM, Nicholas said:

Hey, guys! Today I finally finished the Birthright path. I've watched a little bit about Abdallah's EndGame and I realized I have a far away to get good. Some advanced tips that I had never imagined before. Do it exists some free guide that I can be able to read and become better? Not just these links with those tips for beginners.

Also, do you guys have a group in Whatsapp that I can be a member?

There's a discord for serenesforest. This thread and others in the Fates forum have good advice, though I wouldn't look back too far. Some of the info will be outdated since better/more reliable strategies have been found. Birthright is pretty lenient, so if you can beat it with your team/goals, then you'll be fine.

• 2 months later...