I fear for this game's NA Release

UnknownUber

I'm worried about the censorship as well. If they have to change the amie dialogue, I'm thinking it'll be a lot of it. Then does that mean the Japanese voice overs might not be included because it's too different from the censored dialogue? TBH, if it goes like that, I'd rather they take out FEamie entirely than be missing the Japanese voices though I won't be happy about missing content in general.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, c'mon. Awakening (a game where your son can marry his aunt) got one (two for EU) incredibly minor DLC-related thing(s) censored. They didn't even care enough to censor Cordelia's almost-tits when they did Tharja. They changed "married" to "companions". What little they possibly could censor is of little consequence anyways...

For those of you worried about the censorship, somebody made a petition to not censor out content in the localized versions. I don't know if you've seen this before and I don't believe this petition will change anything, but it can't hurt.

So here's a link: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-do-not-censor-fire-emblem-fates-for-it-s-worldwide-release

[strikeout] They used the wrong "it's." [/strikeout]

For those of you worried about the censorship, somebody made a petition to not censor out content in the localized versions. I don't know if you've seen this before and I don't believe this petition will change anything, but it can't hurt.

So here's a link: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-do-not-censor-fire-emblem-fates-for-it-s-worldwide-release

[strikeout] They used the wrong "it's." [/strikeout]

Signed, I don't believe in censorship. If parents have an issue with it maybe they should stop letting their kids watch horror movies and play M rated games like Call of Duty. I am an adult who has a job and buys her own video games.

I fear that the community will become worse than it is.

It's how I feel.

Same. Im more worried about the Vocal Minority who decrees this game heresy, bullying the rest of the fandom. This is already happening and its making me physically ill.

I almost think they'll consider rating it M. After all, Awakening and SMTIV had what was essentially a "buy one get one free" deal through Nintendo and that was going from a T game to an M game, so there must be enough market overlap.

Put simpler, Nintendo likely won't think an M rating would hurt sales. Well, that's if ESRB would even want to rate it M. I'm unsure on that front, really, but Nintendo would probably rather have their games over-rated than under-rated.

Edited by lysander

Same. Im more worried about the Vocal Minority who decrees this game heresy, bullying the rest of the fandom. This is already happening and its making me physically ill.

I know what you're talking about. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but people should also respect the opinions of others. I love this site - and granted, I'm not familiar with many fanbases, but this is the only one I've seen where some of the "true," veteran fans actively bully the beginners or the new fans.

FE is too good of a series for that.

I'm just worried they'll censor things, or change personality / dialogue for no reason.

They did that to Henry big time in Awakening (turned him into a completely different character from the Japan version) and if they do that again to other characters,

I'm going to be veryyyy upset. KEEP THINGS AS THEY ARE, DAMNIT.

Otherwise I'm mainly just scared they'll ruin the sibling S supports lol. THEY BETTER NOT ALTER THOSE.

No to mention the dumbed down versions of confessions that they did in Awakening. Ugh... Why do I feel like they'll do that again?

Afraid huh... Yeah, I guess I'm afraid of what could happen. I think there are three main things I'm worried about right now.

1. Localization censorship: Look, I'm not saying I'm 100% behind the whole bathhouse thing (I'm a very private person, I haven't bathed with anyone since the age of like... 5 or 6 and I'm 25 now) or entirely in bed with the marrying your siblings who are not really your siblings (It's a cultural thing that really only seems to happen in Japan, though I could just be ignorant of other places). However, those things are already in the game. I'm MORE afraid of NOA censoring things and people then feeling like they were deprived of the full experience because NOA was too squeamish about married people rubbing chests or lips or whatnot. In the long run, things that are changed drastically/taken out of a game tend to hurt its sales in the future.

2. Marketing. Look, I'm going to give an opinion. I think there will be a special edition, but I think NOA/NOJ is underestimating how many people would want that special edition instead since that way they don't need to download two campaigns and only have to download the 3rd path DLC when it comes out. Similarly, NOA needs to address how the extra campaigns will be sold in the coming month or two. If they drop the ball and each new campaign is 30-40 dollars instead of 15-20, they're going to lose sales.

3. Advertising. So far, I think nintendo has done a decent job of promoting the game, through e3 and the treehouse, but they need to make sure their advertising also mentions the two separate versions rather than continuing the trend of 'which path will you choose?' That line pisses people off because you don't choose in-game when buying a single version. you choose in store before you even put the game in the 3DS. If they don't fix that people who buy the game and then get upset because they have to PAY for the alternate path will feel like Nintendo flat out lied to them about the game, and are less likely to buy more/ buy the next game in the series.

Thankfully, the game has added more for people who are bad at strategy games to play and get through the game and as long as they start mentioning the price points I think they'll be good. And seriously, make a ton of special editions. Everyone I talk to that knows about it says they'll just get the special edition because they don't have the room to download two extra campaigns onto their 3DS hardware. (Considering 3DS comes with only 4 GB not surprising, especially since not everyone is crazy like me and goes out to buy a 32 gig card just to download a ton of games)

We'll see. Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I always have a JP copy to fall back on now, but I really hope it gets through the process intact as well. I'd love to play a second round of runs in English later down the line, but I won't be buying it again if they censor anything. Treehouse is apparently doing the localization rather than 8-4 (the ones that put Awakening through a meat grinder before handing it off to us), so I have at least some faith. Nintendo's been more accepting of violence lately, they're letting their "100% family friendly" image fade ever so slowly. I just have a hard time believing they'd be willing to do the same for suggestive themes in such quick succession.

Edited by Nidna

Thankfully, the game has added more for people who are bad at strategy games to play

I hope you mean "people who like strategy games but are bad at them", otherwise my question would be, would you get something that you won't like the main meat of? or why would a company market a game to an audience who is obviously not their target audience e.g not strategy game players?

On topic, I know this is a hot topic, but a lot of things that people are afraid will be I really don't care about, if they censor skinshipping (or whatever it was called) or that kind of thing, it has no impact on me since I didn't really care for it anyway, I hope they wont censor thing in the main story, like the deaths, but I don't think that will be happening.

Ever since the sibling S supports were revealed I've been worried about the censorship. But there's so much they'd have to censor this time around, will they go crazy and censor half the game?(Slight exaggeration)

Nothing we can do but wait and see, unfortunately.

Actually, the amount of controversy it will get will probably help it. Look at Hatred, a game about killing as many innocent people as possible. Hey media made a big deal out of it and pretty much did its advertising for it.

If they start censoring I would love to see how the handle Camilla's cutscene. Jeez that just wouldn't be possible.

They would need to make the screen go black for the duration of the scene or outright delete if from the game data.

I'm really worried about this matter. But some part of me believes they will rate it higher than T or otherwise leave the game as it is, instead of cutting/rewriting a large portion of the game into oblivion and risk making customers mad at them. True, they cesored part of a DLC in Awakening, and was such i minor part that i believe it wouldn't hurt their sales, but i believe that to do the same to Fates is simply unthinkable, as the content they would have to censor is quite litterally everywhere in the game.

I hope you mean "people who like strategy games but are bad at them", otherwise my question would be, would you get something that you won't like the main meat of? or why would a company market a game to an audience who is obviously not their target audience e.g not strategy game players?

I meant for people who want to try or enjoy strategy games but aren't particularly great at them.

For people who like that or hardcore fans, there's hard and lunatic modes to play. For people who want to enjoy the story or need help since they aren't great at the game, there's casual and lunatic mode.

Heck, due to timme constraints I've played awakening on Casual most of the time because I hate the idea of units dying. However that doesn't mean I hate Classic mode or think it should be removed. I just though it's cool that there are options for fans of all types in terms of difficulty and such.

Y'know, Halo is rated Mature, but because it's developed in America and is about guns and the military, I guess it just sells better.

But I do believe that America would put an M rating on Fates due to "suggestive dialogue and sexual themes" if they didn't censor it. America is MUCH more comfortable with violence than it is with sexuality (though the former is still rallied against by some). Game of Thrones somehow manages to do both, and I've yet to hear anyone condemn it... hm. I hope they don't censor it though, and if they do, I hope it's small stuff. I couldn't care less if they cover up cleavage and the like, but keep the dialogue and mechanics in tact, please.

I think my main fear is that they will under stock the game, especially the limited edition stuff. It seems like NoA is deliberately ordering fewer copies of things (amiibos, OMG), but I can't figure out why since they don't make any profit from the scalpers and second hand market and they don't seem to be interested in doing additional orders of stuff. But yeah, I check for places to pre-order maybe three times a day lately.

I mean, would an M-rating even hurt fire emblem? (from the standpoint of NoA considering sales)

AFAIK its still mostly a fanbase driven game than going for mass appeal to random moms buying their kids a game at target

^Theoretically it shouldn't, the thing is that this is a Nintendo first-party title and their rep is basically being a "family-friendly developer", sure you have Bayonetta 2 funded entirely by Nintendo but it's not the same thing considering the franchise wasn't even born in-house.