I fear for this game's NA Release

UnknownUber

There isn't incest. Kamui is not related by blood to either family. What I'm more worried about is heavy censorship. The way I see it, there is no possible way that this game is going to get a T-Rating— Unless there is heavy censorship that is.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I'm really worried that NoA will butcher this game during localization.

I've seen the new features and I KNOW that I will enjoy them. I want to get the game as the developers made it, not as some fake family-friendly travesty for parents that can't even bother looking behind a box for the right rating for their children.

I am going to buy all 3 games, and all DLC no matter the cost, but I will be pissed if NoA censors skinship, supports or character designs. America should grow some balls and realize that there are much worse things than what is portrayed in this game and that most are in games children play. (I'm looking at you Call of Duty)

Well, what if we send a letter or an email, as a community?

Sure, if you can figure out who we send it to >_<

I'm pretty worried about censorship myself. We're supposed to be pretty big on free speech and not restricting people, so it's weird that a game has fans so worried about butchering happening during localization. So Teenagers can't handle the idea of people getting married or in swimsuits? Somebody's out of touch here and I don't think it's us...

I'm actually not a fan of the forced death of characters in your party. More so in a game that still to this day is sold on choice. Honestly, lost pretty much the shreds of my desire for this game. For sure not buying Nohr now with all the deaths I heard you can't avoid.

Well, what if we send a letter or an email, as a community?

I really don't think they would care if we did, Reggie never really showed interest in what the fans wanted. He primarily sees the sales and you can bet everything that he will censor the @$#! out of thix game if it will boost sales. :/

I kinda doubt the game will get an M rating, I can't think of of too many games that have gotten that without blood/gore (something FE tends to avoid, despite the potentially violent content) or nudity/on-screen sex. I don't think a bit of dirty talk is going to push the game over the edge. Incest I dunno, not many precedents for that.

They may do a little censoring. Hopefully not too much (I'm kinda opposed to censorship from a ideological standpoint, especially censorship of sexual things) but honestly the world won't end if they do a bit, either, so long as there are no major changes to the game (e.g. Awakening's censorship, while silly, was also pretty harmless).

I'm a bit worried that the two versions thing will generate some bad press, but I optimistically hope not. It seems like the type of people who throw a fit about this are the same type of people who hate things like DLC which have proven time and again to not actually hurt sales, so whatever.

Somebody's out of touch here and I don't think it's us...

Parents are out of touch with their children. Americans are taught to grow up and leave childish things behind (though this seems to be on the decline somewhat now that the baby boomers are outnumbered) so when they get older they have no interest in their child's likes or dislikes.

Parents are out of touch with their children. Americans are taught to grow up and leave childish things behind (though this seems to be on the decline somewhat now that the baby boomers are outnumbered) so when they get older they have no interest in their child's likes or dislikes.

It was a joke. I know why they might do it I was just joking about that since we know that most everything is out of touch with everything else. After all, since I like games and not rocket science, I couldn't even begin to comment on what's going on there. That kind of joke.

It was a joke. I know why they might do it I was just joking about that since we know that most everything is out of touch with everything else. After all, since I like games and not rocket science, I couldn't even begin to comment on what's going on there. That kind of joke.

"I am so humbled to accept this Over-thinking Underachievers' Award...!"

Haha, sorry. I tend to read too deeply.

I'm pretty worried about censorship myself. We're supposed to be pretty big on free speech and not restricting people, so it's weird that a game has fans so worried about butchering happening during localization. So Teenagers can't handle the idea of people getting married or in swimsuits? Somebody's out of touch here and I don't think it's us...

How to explain this, censorship often comes down to the different cultures they try to sell to (after all that's why people have brought up cultural differences after all) and what they are more tolerant about, like the US not being that hard on violence, but their history is fairly violent (I'm just using the US as an example so please don't go so hard on me for this) and sexuality is on the other hand shown with contempt, this most likely comes from religion, which in Europe the different branches of Christianity has been the major religion for some time, where sex was looked at negatively, which didn't really have malicious intentions originally, since I believe it was originally meant to reduce premarital pregnancies (which could be a burden on the womans family) and prevent std, since there was not much you could do about them back in the day.

Japan didn't really have this same view, much I would say because of the nature of the fate they had and both have had quite an impact on the culture they are from, Christianity where the human is born sinful, and Shinto which is heavy on spiritual cleansing.

Not to mention context, after all the country of my origin, Finland, does have public, unisex saunas, where you do bathe completely naked, and even then a lot of people are uncomfortable with nudity in certain situations, and these situations are different depending on the culture of the country.

Sorry for that, a bit lengthy text, but when thinking on censoring, I would say companies do go from what some cultures are most likely going to tolerate with the least amount of backlash to hopefully maximize their profits.

So you haven't followed the things in universities where everyone should have the right to never be offended by anything under any circumstance, like that university literature should Have trigger warnings, or a liberal professor afraid to lose his job because of accidentally offending his students, or the safe rooms with cookies, coloring books, play-doh an videos with frolicking puppies.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121790/life-triggering-best-literature-should-be-too

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

There are indeed young people, students, who think people should have the right to never ever be offended, granted not all sources are about the USA, but thats the extreme progressives for you.

(ps. I don't think think this will have an impact on the game, but I just find those things funny and kinda disheartening)

Edited by that one person

So you haven't followed the things in universities where everyone should have the right to never be offended by anything under any circumstance, like that university literature should Have trigger warnings, or a liberal professor afraid to lose his job because of accidentally offending his students, or the safe rooms with cookies, coloring books, play-doh an videos with frolicking puppies.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121790/life-triggering-best-literature-should-be-too

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

There are indeed young people, students, who think people should have the right to never ever be offended, granted not all sources are about the USA, but thats the extreme progressives for you.

(ps. I don't think think this will have an impact on the game, but I just find those things funny and kinda disheartening)

I haven't "followed" it, but I am aware of it (I've actually read the second link you posted before), and I do find it troubling. I vaguely alluded to it and how damaging it is to open communication in another thread... but I think I offended some people so I left the thread. What troubles me the most is that it' MY generation doing it, and I've felt for a long time like my generation would be a solution, not a problem. Sad to see that dream being subverted.

EDIT: Ah, but more to the point, what I meant by my comment on parents' involvement was directed more at the ESRB and how poorly it is used than all that. Censoring this game and giving it a lower rating simply because of the perception of Nintendo as a "family friendly" entity is a poor move considering parents should be more proactive in researching their children's entertainment.

Edited by Robin Goodfellow

To be honest, I don't mind if they do a Bravely Default and censor some costumes(Especially on characters such as Mozume, Elise and Sakura cause I do not want to see their side boob)but if they feel the need to remove anything that is in no way extremely sexual, I will hate them.

I never really understood why sex and stuff was always so hush hush in the U.S.I mean in Europe no one gives a shit.Like for some reason violence, sure why nat but sex, 'THINK OF DA KIDS MAN!!!'

I understand the worries of censorship, but I think it'd be a smart move to censor little-to-nothing in the game. This video explains it. Considering how FE isn't exactly sqeaky-clean like Mario, I'd say there's a decent chance that there won't be too much censoring. It's not like the settings in FE are as kid-friendly as the settings in Pokemon Kirby; FE isn't too shy about the consequences of war and death, whereas the other two series treat violence rather lightheartedly.

This is slightly off-topic, but...it was mentioned earlier in this topic that Bayonetta 2 is an exception to the "Nintendo only makes family-friendly games" argument due to not being made in-house. Since when did people attracted to Nintendo's "family friendly" image care about that detail?

"THIS GAME IS BAD FOR MY KID. HAS WAY TOO MUCH SEX."

"Um, m'am? This game wasn't developed in-house by Nintendo."

"Oh, okay. I guess my kid can play this game after all."

Just sounds silly. If an overzealous (and rating-ignoring) parent bought their kid Bayonetta 2 due to the Nintendo brand and then whined about the contents, they likely wouldn't care about fine details like which dev team made it. They bought the game thanks to Nintendo's image while caring none for the ESRB's work...they'll whine regardless.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

Tbh, I don't recall FE ever being a 'children's game' anyways...

Nor do I, but these out of touch adults on the censorship committee may see what they consider "animated characters, bright colors, cartoonish expressions" (which may be more or less accurate depending on who you ask) and immediately label it as something kids will want, even if it isn't marketed at them.

Games like GTA, Halo, and Call of Duty all attract children despite not being made for them. It's parents' faults for not knowing what is appropriate and what isn't, not the developers or marketing team or even the ESRB.

Edited by Robin Goodfellow

I don't think they will censor Camilla walking scene, i mean look at Cia she didnt get censor and she has even less clothes than Camilla herself and she has a similar scene like that, worse case scenerio? THIS, will they tone the lewd lines? depends maybe just the way they deliver the lines.

I don't think they will censor Camilla walking scene, i mean look at Cia she didnt get censor and she has even less clothes than Camilla herself and she has a similar scene like that, worse case scenerio? THIS, will they tone the lewd lines? depends maybe just the way they deliver the lines.

This pic made me laugh way too loudly XD

You know, that is a fairly good point. Maybe it can be safe to assume that since the history of the series is not for children, they might lay off the censoring a bit? Because honestly, can you imagine a 5 year old child playing a Fire Emblem game and understanding what the heck is going on or what he's doing? Me neither. Maybe Nintendo will understand that and target an older audience, thus needing much less censoring and climbing up to T or M rating.

A 5 years old child wouldn't even understand the lewd lines anyway XD

Edited by Mekalygie

I can see why folks are concerned. I mean not only the same sex and hooking up non-blood related siblings, there is also Foleo. All intent and reasoning is a girl but is indentified by the game and he himself indentifies himself as a boy.

So what if a guy wants to wear pink and look fabulous.That is their decision and theirs alone.

Everything would be solved if they just released an uncensored version for 18+ players like me who is honestly looking forward to a videogame character whispering in my ear.

And a censored version for all the concerned parents out there.

I just want the full Japanese game but with English text. (so (a.) I don't have to buy a Japanese 3DS and (b.) So I don't have to painstakingly translate everything with my ipad since I can't read Japanese.)
But if they include the Japanese audio in the game, at least I'll still be able to understand and enjoy all that borderline not-even-an-innuendo-anymore S-support skinship audio.

who is honestly looking forward to a videogame character whispering in my ear.

ASMR audio in a video game?

I don't have ASMR, but it's still interesting. I didn't know this was a thing I wanted in my life until now.