To censor or not to sensor. (Localization for North America)

Is there any precedent for games getting a lower age rating in the United States than in Japan without changes to the content in question? Since that's what would be required for it to stay as-is and get a T rating.

???

T rating is like 12+, isn't it? M starts with 17+, no?

It still has some leeway... No changes T could still be achieved.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

???

T rating is like 12+, isn't it? M starts with 17+, no?

It still has some leeway... No changes T could still be achieved.

T, for Teen, starts when you become a T-ager, for Teenager, at 13. :P

EDIT: you're right about M though

Edited by Integrity

Okay so I read Piere's skinship lines. A lot of Yandere lines but there is that one quote..............yeah, >_>

Your throbbing place, it looks like the flesh is tearing....

Maybe a few touch up could help things slightly I don't think some suggestive lines and skinship are that big of a deal to get all bent out of shape on but yeah there are things that are going to get changed around whether folks like it or not.

By the end of it all its going to get a T-rating nothing here really warrants an M.

That Pieri line is completely mistranslated wrong. This is why you have to be careful with fan translations :/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170021228&postcount=112

"I want to tear open your chest and see inside".

T, for Teen, starts when you become a T-ager, for Teenager, at 13. :P

Well, I tried to compare them to German ratings, which are USK 0, 6, 12, 16, 18.

In Germany, you are considered a Teenager at the age of 12. I wasn't far off, though...

I think eventually we see the ESRB come out with a T+ like they did with E-10+ awhile back. It used to just be E, T, and M (there was probably one above M but you weren't getting those from standard retailers) and they added E-10+. So we do have some games that are "high T" similar to some movies hugging the border between PG-13 and R. Although from my understanding of how the ESRB works it's rating will largely depend on the group of people rating it.

I agree they need to change up that support conversation and with the current climate on domestic violence and sexual assault in the US you know there's no way they'll just let that slide in.

We don't know how many of those supports are translated right, though. You're seriously judging a game's dialogue by FAN translations, without a team of editors. You know how many times that worked out well? Not much.

^

^

Ah much "better"..... :P

It's hilarious how suggestive lines just NEED to be changed, yet a line involving extreme violence is perfectly fine.

Things will certainly get changed slightly. Not necessarily for all regions considering Tharja's Harvest Scramble was pretty much the same with the Japanese original. Europe was the only one who changed it from her body to her hair. Then again, using her as an example again, Tharja's Summer Scramble did get partially censored. I don't think there will be too much fuss because, honestly, the skinship can be toned down very easily line wise. The actual petting is very tame compared to likes of Killer is Dead's Gigolo mode.

I highly doubt they'd scrap the feature, most of the lines that are being noted are after you hit S rank and nothing else about the feature itself is worth the M rating. So all they have to do is just tone down some of the dirtier lines and there we go, a feature that can probably get by with a T rating with not too much lost in the process.

Edited by Medeus

And how DARE people say they'd rather have the game turn out in a way they'd feel comfortable purchasing than a way they don't, right?

"I want the game to turn out the way I want it and everyone will like it."

That's pretty much the argument for both sides. Me? I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines and eat popcorn. That harvested salt isn't going to waste on my end! :D

It will get changed/censored,no question.Though,it may not get an M rating.It doesn't have blood in it,so it may just get a T rating with one of those little reason thingies on the back of the box warning about sexual/mature content.

I won't really mind if it gets an M rating,though,since my mother bought me a T rated game when I was about 6 or 7,and bought me Devil May Cry 4 (M rated) in the spring.

I think eventually we see the ESRB come out with a T+ like they did with E-10+ awhile back. It used to just be E, T, and M (there was probably one above M but you weren't getting those from standard retailers) and they added E-10+. So we do have some games that are "high T" similar to some movies hugging the border between PG-13 and R. Although from my understanding of how the ESRB works it's rating will largely depend on the group of people rating it.

IIRC (to contribute to the derail!) it was originally (or at least it was when i paid attention) EC, E, T, M, AO, where EC was for "early childhood" and was eventually phased out in favor of E, E10+, T, M, AO

EDIT: ec still exists, fuck me, i suck, what was the old rating that doesn't exist anymore???

EDIT2: oh, i was thinking K-A (kids to adults) which was the rating that got phased out in favor of E. man, i'm bad.

EDIT3: to put a cap on it, the original rating system was EC, K-A, T, M, AO

Edited by Integrity

IIRC (to contribute to the derail!) it was originally (or at least it was when i paid attention) EC, E, T, M, AO, where EC was for "early childhood" and was eventually phased out in favor of E, E10+, T, M, AO

EDIT: ec still exists, fuck me, i suck, what was the old rating that doesn't exist anymore???

The one that's gone is K-A (Kids to Adults). Which pretty much became E.

Example:

5822270_orig.jpg

Edited by NoNameAtAll

EDIT2: oh, i was thinking K-A (kids to adults) which was the rating that got phased out in favor of E. man, i'm bad.

EDIT3: to put a cap on it, the original rating system was EC, K-A, T, M, AO

Yeah the way it is now, it more or less lines up with the MPAA's movie rating system.

E = G

E10+ = PG

T = PG-13

M = R

AO = NC-17

Edit: Now that I think about it I do have some old Game Gear games rated K-A and looking at the box Diddy Kong Racing for the N64 is still K-A. Makes me feel old.

Edited by Philranger

That Pieri line is completely mistranslated wrong. This is why you have to be careful with fan translations :/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=170021228&postcount=112

"I want to tear open your chest and see inside".

And the quote went from erotic to comically disturbing. That's a pretty gory line. XD

Edited by Lawful Angry

And the quote went from erotic to comically disturbing. That's a pretty gory line. XD

Right? xD It fits her character very well though.

A lot of things will be smoothed out with professional translation and editing, so I'm really not all that worried about the censoring, personally. I think it'll be fine.