Occidental release ?

HanSolo

Hi, I'm new on this forum, but I've joined because I am really hyped for Fire Emblem Cipher :^_^:.

I live in France, and this morning I've been at the Japan Expo in Paris. There was a conference held by Yûsuke Kosaki, the character designer for Awakening and Fates, who also worked as an illustrator on Cipher cards. I heave had the opportunity to ask him a question, and I asked him the following :

"Can we hope for an occidental release of Fire Emblem Cipher ?", and he replied

"We must see how Cipher does in Japan before releasing it in Europe and in America".

I am right to believe that this answer points to the possibility of an occidental release ?

Of course this is the english translation of the french translation of the japanese answer, so it is to be interpreted with caution. But we can be optimistic right ? :D:

(The french translation was "Nous devons voir comment le jeu marche au Japon avant de le sortir en Europe et en Amérique", as far as I remember)

Edited by HanSolo

Given the pre-release sales on Amiami, I'm hopeful!

Here's hoping Cipher is popular enough to warrant an overseas release!

Thanks for asking : D

I like how optimistic Kozaki's response was, rather than just a "no" or "maybe".

EDIT

I'm translating the whole game to spanish, If they release it here I would be pretty upset

Hehehe, that's the dilemma of the fan translator. You just have to get over it eventually and be happy that more people will experience the product.

Sadly, the projects I worked on didn't get an official translation... although I figured as much and that's why I started on them. But if Nintendo did or does decide to release an official translation, I'd get sad for a day, then drop/remove my project XD

Edited by VincentASM

Translations are still important as sometimes another language gets info before our language. Buddyfight from the very beginning released at the same time in both English and Japanese and Japanese translators are still needed. Heck, some cards are revealed in English before Japanese.

And Cipher is likely going to start 6-9 months behind, so the translations would be nice to prepare for when we get the cards. And yeah, I am very glad Kozaki gave English players actual hope than a vague, crap answer.

With all due respect I don't think the character designer would have much say in the company's business decisions, but hey-ho, at least it's a positive answer.

In a selfish way I don't want a western release... Because then I'll have to collect those too!

With all due respect I don't think the character designer would have much say in the company's business decisions, but hey-ho, at least it's a positive answer.

In a selfish way I don't want a western release... Because then I'll have to collect those too!

Well, yeah, but if Cipher does indeed do well enough in Japan, wouldn't they be crazy not to make an English version? And the character designer has, at the very least, a position which enables him to push with a good deal of influence when it comes to business decisions. He at least has more clout than Randy, the coffee-getting monkey, I mean intern.

And Cipher is doing well in Japan right now, if the sizes and number of tournaments are an indicator. People are taking up this game rather quickly.

Kozaki may not have influence on the business end, but he is familiar with those in charge. Presumably the reason he's confident in giving any kind of answer instead of just labeling it a red question, is because the higher-ups were already talking about this.

I'm all for the game coming over, especially since Nintendo's more likely to accommodate mixing Japanese and English cards. You can't do it in Pokémon anymore, but for a long time it was perfectly valid to do so if you had a printed reference for the English text on hand, and for a while a tenth of your deck could still be foreign while they were making the transition. Provided that the game does take off and Nintendo tries bringing it over here, I'll just sell my Japanese collection at its highs to come up with the capital for an English one.

Edited by Touya

Well, yeah, but if Cipher does indeed do well enough in Japan, wouldn't they be crazy not to make an English version?

Of course, but that is completely independent of wether an artist thinks they'll do so or not.

And the character designer has, at the very least, a position which enables him to push with a good deal of influence when it comes to business decisions. He at least has more clout than Randy, the coffee-getting monkey, I mean intern.

I have some years of experience in a very similair type of business, and unfortunately in most companies you would be incorrect, one or more artists really has close to zero input when it comes to business decisions like this one. I'm not saying this particular artist is in the same boat, I'm just saying that is the case for the large majority of businesses out there. There is a reason he's hired as an artist and not a planning strategist or a marketing executive.

And Cipher is doing well in Japan right now, if the sizes and number of tournaments are an indicator.

Of course, and I'm incredibly stoked for it. Again this has nothing to do with a character designer thinking they'll bring it to the west or not.

Just so I don't sound like a negative nancy, I'd be incredibly happy overall if they brought this outside of Japan. Not just for the cards themselves but also the follow-up effect of popularising the series further, and hopefully getting people to play the pre-Awakening games as well as the new ones.

It's also very beneficial for ANYONE in the company to say that they might bring it to the West, it makes business sense to keep hopes high and promote the product.

Edited by Colino