Best and worst fe7 mage

Liam_001

Best and worst fe7 mage  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Worst fe7 mage

2. 2. Best fe7 mage

more than half of those units aren't even mages!

Best Mage: Pent

Worst Mage: Nino

Best Magic User: Pent

Worst Magic User: Renault

My Favorite Mage: Nino

My Least Favorite Mage: Erk

My Favorite Magic User: Priscilla

My Least Favorite Magic User: Renault

Nino needs too much work to get anywhere, and her first chapter is stupid, frustrating, and stupidly frustrating, even without trying to bust my ass trying to raise her. Renault WILL be outclassed by other mages by the time he even joins.

I'm gonna be different and say Athos, he's underrated for how completely badass he is. He's pre-built to help you wreck the endgame enemies and hits hard like a fire truck. It's basically "you like Pent? Have another one. You don't even have to train him."

• 2 weeks later...

Serra.

I love her personality.

I love her in ranked runs.

I love her in casual runs.

I love everything about this character.

Uh... worst mage... I voted Renault. His backstory is good, but otherwise he's a very strange man in a very strange place. You can't even do anything with him.

Worst is Renault. Nino can at least be fed kills at the point where she comes in and be made useful. Everything about Renault you wish he did better. His stats, his healing, his damage.

Honestly I'd say Lucius is probably the best. I never feel I'm lacking anything with him. Dark Magic is pretty prevalent so he gets good WTA more often then not but you likely wouldn't have him fight mages anyway. He hardly has problems doubling unlike others with Thunder or certain Dark tomes for Canas who can get speed screwed sometimes. Plus he starts out with C staves which means much less grinding for useful staves and instant Mend access.

Pent is good but if you train 2 mages and a healer like I usually do he can feel redundant at times. Lucius is always a good choice though.

Worst is Renault. Nino can at least be fed kills at the point where she comes in and be made useful. Everything about Renault you wish he did better. His stats, his healing, his damage.

That A in staves easily gives him more use than someone whose only role is combat, and takes too long to get going. Especially since he can use Restore, Recover, or Warp.

Pent is good but if you train 2 mages and a healer like I usually do he can feel redundant at times.

I can't see how. I mean, you might not have enough Guiding Rings to promote every spellcaster in your group. Not to mention, healers are kinda tricky to level up quickly, and Pent doesn't need any input to be useful.

That A in staves easily gives him more use than someone whose only role is combat, and takes too long to get going. Especially since he can use Restore, Recover, or Warp.

Renault is better than Nino if you're looking for efficiency, because he can theoretically do one thing vs. Nino theoretically doing nothing. Theoretically being the key word, because with the presence of <insert good staff user> and Ninils, you should not need much A-rank staff support endgame. This is "damplified" by the fact that Renault has 12 base magic, which means a pathetic staff range that compromises his A. He is a better character, but he's still not really useful if you plan on using any other major staff unit in the game for the final map... namely Pent, Serra, Priscilla, and even Lucius.

Nino is sadly the worst ever. If she came a little earlier or a little stronger, she may have been worth a bit more than Renault, but otherwise there's just no point to her... which is sad because I love using her for experience points in her chapter. She does this one thing better than Renault, but good lord is she bad.

Edited by Brinzy

• 2 weeks later...

Nino is the worst. There is just no pointing in raising her anymore when she joins, as she comes in at five chapters from the end. Sure, it won't take her too many kills to become promotable, but when she's up to par with your other units, you'll have only a few chapters left. She's good when she gets to that point, but it's all she's going to add to the game. Why not just train Erk or Pent? At least Renault is a free staffbot with good durability, even though he's not good by any means.

Pent's the best. He's just ready to be used right away. No effort involved, free support giving him some extra durability, and around long enough. No real question here. Erk, Lucius and Canas are all pretty similarly useful, Canas has Luna but has slightly lower stats than the other two, they also join at around the same part of the game. Serra and Priscilla are both good healers, and Athos has one role, namely to kill the final boss if your lords can't.

Worst: Renault. Erk is an dishonorable mention. He isn't bad, but he always falls behind other mages.

Best: Lucius/Canas.

I generally don't like to use pre-promoted units, so I have never used Pent.

Edited by RidellCrimea

Pent has no real competition; A/A ranks with hella bases can actually take a couple of hits while still dishing out hella damage? Sign me the fuck up. Most mages even trained would be hard to compete with his bases at his join time unless they are overlevelled, especially the healers since they have very low bases that their solid growths have more trouble pulling them out of. Pent can do basically everything. Free god unit.

Lucius would be my pick if Pent's out of the running, though, Decent speed high power free C staff rank upon promotion means you can spam the shit out of barrier until Physic and can probably safely sit back and heal without being in range of anything that looks at him funny. If an enemy requires deletion, his insanely high mag also helps out here. It also provides a delicious 12 range warp lategame if you get him to A staves. Beautiful. His biggest problem is he'll die if something physical looks at him funny, which considering how good his offensive and support parameters at least balances him out. I mean can you imagine Lucius being actually tanky? That'd be frightening. As it is, it doesn't hurt him that much since his offense is still ranged and he'll probably still dodge most things considering enemies suck even in hhm, but it's something you do need to pay a little more attention about unlike Pent who I can kinda throw at enemies and just make sure like he's not dealing with a large number of promoted fuckers at once or something it's been a while since I played hhm

Renault's prolly worst; low availability with no real niche; Gets outclassed by Pent and trained Lucius too hard. There's only so many uses of warp and you don't need literally yet another healer that joins midway on the penultimate chapter and doesn't even have enough mag to warp you that far. And then next chapter? Athos joins, further nullifying any use he may have had. Athos maybe have one chapter and like a dragon of use but he can solo final if you get fucked over so I mean

Nino's not very good either but she has some uses in helping out in ranked runs with exp. That's at least something.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Renault ends up in a similar unfortunate position that Oliver does in RD. Theoretically, he could be useful as a decent, hassle-free staff bot, but we already have both Pent and Athos who outclass him while also needing no training. Nino however, has unique utility in Ranked runs in helping pad the exp rank, so she ends up slightly better in my opinion.

Meanwhile Pent is so obviously the best it's not even funny.

• 3 weeks later...

Priscilla is a Goddess.

Priscilla needs to be mentioned more

While Pent and Athos are obviously great for reasons that I don't need to mention again (Athos having access to Dark Magic may mention a passing mention) , Priscilla is one of your main healer for a large part of the game, and is your only mounted mage. I'd say in terms of pure utility, she may even surpass Pent. (because she can rescue nearly all the units in the game).

Adds to this great avoid and Magic Tanking and you have a winner.

On the worst, Renault and Erk. Renault because he has less than a chapter to be somewhat relevant (Athos comes one chapter afterwards (32x is pretty irrelevant), is required, and flat out better.

Erk... is just not relevant enough. Pent is better in average and doesn't require training, and Lucius comes soon after him;and is also a better magic unit. At least, Nino have some kind of niche, that makes her slightly better (Training her is tedious and boring, and may not be worth it, but you get an extremely deadly unit out of it.)

Erk... is just not relevant enough. Pent is better in average and doesn't require training, and Lucius comes soon after him;and is also a better magic unit. At least, Nino have some kind of niche, that makes her slightly better (Training her is tedious and boring, and may not be worth it, but you get an extremely deadly unit out of it.)

I'd disagree there - outside of bosses and magic units, enemy resistance in FE7 is virtually nonexistent. Also, Erk has a better weapon type than Lucius.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Erk's weapon type advantage is kinda negated when Lucius's stats are better and also has automatic C staves on promotion which means you can spam barrier immediately

Lucius Physics are really great, huge range, high amount healed

And inb4 "but lucius has shit luck waaah" look if you got lucius killed because you let a mage not named Pent go into melee combat without it being a calculated move, that's your fault. Or Luna, but let's be real Luna has crit on mostly everyone there's no good way around it and there's like 2 enemies in the game with it anyway

I don't think Erk's really bad, mind, but he's just not very special. Certainly not the worst you can do though, at least he's not sophia

Edited by Thor Odinson

I don't think Erk's really bad, mind, but he's just not very special. Certainly not the worst you can do though, at least he's not sophia

Yeah, but every single magic unit is better than Sophia.

Erk's main problem is that Pent exists.

You have to train him to 20/6, train his staff Rank to A (and maybe gives him a Body Ring) to be... almost as good as Pent. Before chapter 24/26.

It's quite similar to Neimi VS Innes (or Neimi VS Geirik if you chose the Ranger route) : A unit that is just wildly surpassed by another, even with lots of investment.

I'd disagree there - outside of bosses and magic units, enemy resistance in FE7 is virtually nonexistent. Also, Erk has a better weapon type than Lucius.

Lucius's Magic (stat and growth) mitigate this last point. Lucius will generally hit harder than Erk.

Then Light Magic has a WTA against Luna users which could be considered a bonus.

And if we're talking about the best magic type, you have also Canas and his access to the vastly superior Dark Magic.

His stats are kinda shaky, but Dark magic is quite usefull.

His only good thing is his speed (though Lucius have a better base).

Add to that that you have no shortage of good Anima Magic users (Priscilla have a Pony, Pent beats it in everything except maybe speed at start (but that's mitigated by pent's starting Con.))

Erk's weapon type advantage is kinda negated when Lucius's stats are better and also has automatic C staves on promotion which means you can spam barrier immediately

Lucius Physics are really great, huge range, high amount healed

And inb4 "but lucius has shit luck waaah" look if you got lucius killed because you let a mage not named Pent go into melee combat without it being a calculated move, that's your fault. Or Luna, but let's be real Luna has crit on mostly everyone there's no good way around it and there's like 2 enemies in the game with it anyway

Given that Lucius only has Lightning to work with for the majority of the game, I'd say that Lucius's offense doesn't really ever become superior, at least not by any notable margin. Automatic C staves is pretty neat though.

Lucius's Magic (stat and growth) mitigate this last point. Lucius will generally hit harder than Erk.

Then Light Magic has a WTA against Luna users which could be considered a bonus.

And if we're talking about the best magic type, you have also Canas and his access to the vastly superior Dark Magic.

His stats are kinda shaky, but Dark magic is quite usefull.

His only good thing is his speed (though Lucius have a better base).

Add to that that you have no shortage of good Anima Magic users (Priscilla have a Pony, Pent beats it in everything except maybe speed at start (but that's mitigated by pent's starting Con.))

Funny you mention Luna, since (1) WTA generally means nothing in the face of Luna, you're likely getting hit anyways, and (2), the magic triangle's never been relevant. Also, see above comment about Lucius being locked to Lightning for a good deal of the game. As for Dark magic... Flux aside, the only good Dark spell is Luna.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Who the fuck cares if Lucius only has Lightning to work with when he literally caps mag at 20/11

Erk needs to be 20/15 to even reach Lucius's mag stat at 20/1 (19.2)

Scratch lightning, you could give Lucius a piece of paper with "deez nuts" written on it and he'll hit harder than Erk

We're talking about someone not named Athos who can easily outrange Pent's warps

Edited by Thor Odinson

Who the fuck cares if Lucius only has Lightning to work with when he literally caps mag at 20/11

Erk needs to be 20/15 to even reach Lucius's mag stat at 20/1 (19.2)

Scratch lightning, you could give Lucius a piece of paper with "deez nuts" written on it and he'll hit harder than Erk

We're talking about someone not named Athos who can easily outrange Pent's warps

Okay then. But still, if Erk's killing easily anyway, which should be the case since enemy res is virtually nonexistent aside from bosses and magic units... Lucius's better offense doesn't mean much to me.

why is worst above best

Pent is obviously the best, voted Erk for worst because he can't staff until promotion and his personality annoys me.

Okay then. But still, if Erk's killing easily anyway, which should be the case since enemy res is virtually nonexistent aside from bosses and magic units... Lucius's better offense doesn't mean much to me.

Look if Erk actually ORKOd maybe people would like him more

clearly the difference made it so that Erk missed a bunch more ORKOs than Lucius