Universal GBA FE Randomizer v1.0

lushen124

So I've been wanting to try this because it looks cool, but like post #169, I get a similar error message that reads:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at WindowsApplication1.Utilities.ReadSignedHalfWord(FileStream& filePtr) in C:\Users\lushe_000\Documents\Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\Utilities.vb:line 29
at WindowsApplication1.HuffmanHelper.decodeTextAtAddressWithHuffmanTree(FileStream& filePtr, Int32 textAddress, Int32 treeAddress, Int32 rootAddress) in C:\Users\lushe_000\Documents\Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\HuffmanHelper.vb:line 33
at WindowsApplication1.Form1.RandomizeButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\lushe_000\Documents\Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\GBA FE Stat Randomizer\Form1.vb:line 362
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.81.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
GBA FE Randomizer
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Danny/Desktop/Universal-GBA-FE-Randomizer-Windows-master/GBA%20FE%20Stat%20Randomizer/GBA%20FE%20Stat%20Randomizer/obj/x86/Release/GBA%20FE%20Randomizer.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 12.0.20806.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.33440 built by: FX45W81RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I know this is a pretty nooby question, but any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my randomized FE6 playthrough, the game stops at the enemy phase of turn 4 I think? The turn before Geese comes out of the village. The music and graphics keep looping, but the enemy just won't move. I would have written this off as being a result of my having applied a few other patches like Console Canto and stealable weapons, but I've heard of someone else having the same problem on a ROM that had only been randomized.

I'm having the same issue. I'm a bit disappointed, because I'm enjoying my playthrough, with my Rutger Pirate. If anyone can figure out what the problem is, I might just kill Geese out of spite.

I had growth max variance set to 25%, and I still have several units with >100% res growth. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work or is this a bug?

I had growth max variance set to 25%, and I still have several units with >100% res growth. Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work or is this a bug?

You're misunderstanding. It sums up the original growths, then adds/subtracts a value <= max variance, then distributes.

Hey, how do you find out what the randomized growths are? I notice that every let's player knows what the growths are somehow. Is it in the randomizer app itself? I have a mac so I had to ask my friend to randomize it for me, and he can't find any reader in it. How is everyone doing it?

Edited by Alastor15243

Sorry for the long hiatus, been busy moving into a new house, but now that I have some time, there's an update available.

You can see the first post for details (including a new link :)), but v1.1.0 is now available. The biggest change is that it has the ability to generate changelogs when randomizing so no more digging through Nightmare to see what exactly changed.

It also fixes an issue that causes every unit to start with A rank weapons because the old logic of randomly increasing weapon ranks based on appearance time had the critical flaw of most characters showing up in game data several times even if they didn't join, so now it tries to carry over their highest weapon rank to their new class if their class has changed.

Really awesome. It's great to see these kinds of projects in action to emulate the crazy crap LPers did, like Klok's Manriklass thing. Just one question, and I apologize if it's been asked before but-

Is there a problem with FE8 regarding animation palettes? They're all the default class palettes, like the ones you see in the opening roll. Was that intentional?

It works alright with FE6 and FE7 but not with FE8. Dunno about you, but a pink Mauthe Doog would've been a blast to look at...

Unfortunately, FE8 handles its palettes differently from FE6/7; whereas FE6/7 have a promoted and an unpromoted palette for each character, FE8 has a palette tied to each possible class for a character; this means that if a character randomizes to a class they can't normally be in, they'll just use generic colours.

I'm having a blast with this one so far!

The only thing bothering me is that archer units have a chance to spawn with ballistae/killer ballistae. While this is fun (and saved my ass in chapter 7 of my Fe6 HM LP), it's not intended, and shouldn't happen.

Aside from that, great fun!

I encountered a pretty bad problem in FE8 on Chapter 10 Eirika's route. When I open the gate the next enemy phase the game soft locks after a few enemies have moved, I think it might have to do with the ballistas or the boss might have a quote that's not displaying or something.

Edited by Ozarhok

ive only used emphrams randomizer before, but heres my notes so far on yours.

Randomize growths description gives *two* diffrent descriptions of how it randomizes, what gives?
^- we can have a minimum growth allowed, but not a maximum? allow that to please.

for Randomize bases, doesn't this mean if we turn it on, each stat gets 1~3 extra ONTOP / BEFORE giving all the base points out?
^- instead, we should be allowed to (yes on default) to have a minimum of 1 in every stat, and 5 in HP as base, and removed from total bases. also, allow us to set a MAX base the game can't pass for base stats.

^^^----- when examineing 'base variance' "before redistributing bases a random amount from 0 and the amount entered is either added or subtracted from the character's total growth." that should be bases right?

Con minimum? why not Con maximum as well?

MOV...is correct!

*we should have a addition button to a new window, to change all above options PER class, or atleast PER CLASS TYPE, or PER CLASS TIER. for example MIN~MAX move for all Tier 1 classes i can set 1~7 and when tier 2/promoted, its 2~9. you could also at LEAST allow us to do so for 'normal' and 'special' units. lord characters, dancers/music people/dragon folk ect (all the special classes) to be selectable variances seperate from normal variances from everyone else.

ALSO, from what i'm aware, its not possible to change, or rather risk, the lord being a diffrent class right? (to avoid game crashes) would it not be possible to force apply a special patch to all games run with this, forcing them a custom weapon with 1mt and infinite durability? then randomize their Weapon ranks based on other possible classes? so if erika FE8 rolls cleric/priest, give her a E in staffs, a staff to start with, and the infinite durability special weapon? i'm assuming (atleast what i played from emphrims basic randomzier before) you would want lord to stay 'lord' class for promotion reasons, but their should be no problem with modifying the lord class itself right? also can we randomize the lords color pallette? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

-----
moving on, can we get weighted affinity, and the reverse as in banned affinities? IE click a box so noone can be fire affinity ally or bosses, or click a box so a extra number of people are all earth types?

can we get a MAX hit rate option? altho i can agree it would be mostly useless to us all.

for crits, considering how important it is, any chance to allow numbers other then 5's, and a weapons affected thing, like, only 6 weapons will be affected? its uhh, ..well basically noone would use this as it is...we probibly need alot more options for this first before it sees more usage.

weight having a maximum, yes! everything seems good here. one thing i might recommend is a box for 'every weapon must change its default weight by atleast 1'

Durability - first give us a max option, so i can set variance of 15, but make it so nothing can have more then 60 or 40. no silver swords with 60 durability breaking the game. second, FORCE the hard max durability to be like, ...50? (i know i just said i wanted 60 earlier, soo me.) people can abuse sell high durability weapons for tons of cash. OR the following,

give us cash randoming options! maybe the amount in chests, but mainly the worth of a durability point of a weapon. hopefully a box for, scale normal prices based on new weapon durability, so the 40 durability weapon worth 2000G with 20 durability now is still worth 2000g instead of 1000g, (and thus one with 60 durability is 2000g and not 3000g) or a option to randomize cost (either based on old, or scaled prices) by a variance.

Class fun stuff! how come there is not a option to add dancers and manakete and lords into the class pool, but say NOT randomise the already included dancers. the way it is now, if its included, the characters must also be included.

FINAL SIDE NOTES

why isn't minimum growth % and HP growth % selectable %'s like all the others? and why can't we give weighted HP growth to enemies? as it is, weighted HP growth is just 10% bonus HP for all allies, shouldn't there atleast be a option for minimum HP growth seperate from other minimum growth % minimums?

and finally, is it possible for us to say, make a specific map patch for your patch to apply to the games, so say, give slightly / somewhat but not at all majorly altered maps, without changing enemies? then people could check a box called say 'unfamiluar battlefields' or 'altered battlefields' so not only is everything randomized, but it feels like the battlefields are different as well? (of corse there is no way to randomize this, but it should be a nice fun option for those wanting to experience maximum diffrence-ness. any objections to one being made? or perhaps along with that, another one called 'random friendly maps' where some early obtainable items are unusual bad weapons, so account for you maybe having a early healer, or more obtainable weapon variety, so if your iron swords are terrible, you could get a single early steel sword, or steel axe, so a character isn't cursed to useless for the first few unknown number of missions.)

now to test this as my run http://puu.sh/kUolL/0ed6127356.png

also, forgot if i said before, change minimum durability default to like 5, its silly if enemies get 1 durability weapons becasue the player wasn't savvy enough to give them a fighting chance and trusted the default setting.

any shop randomness?

forgive the extremely in depth analysis. just trying to be helpful.

oh, and a option to duel roll the randomization's, so growths will be very random, and not just X diffrent from origonal character, but more like, X diffrent from a character who was already diffrent from someone else, so its like their not close at all anymore.

Edited by dawnbomb

It was really starting to irk me that this was in Resources. I think this is more suited to being in the Fan Projects section than Resources so I've moved the topic.

Just a note, the latest few updates seem to make the program incompatible with windows 32x. I run windows XP because my computer is a potato.

I'm able to run the randomizer version 1.0.1 with no problems, but when I try to run 1.1.0 I get a "this is not a valid win32 application." Do you happen to know what it is that made the latest versions incompatible with win32, and if there is a possible fix (other than "get a better pc," though that is probably how I should go about it :P)?

I also tried 1.1.2 for the record, same thing

• 2 weeks later...

i feel like the topic being moved made this thread die, and i really, really don't want it to. i want the randomizer to be the best it can be, so here a bump, both for more people to see it, and hopefully to get the creator to look at that really long analysis i posted.

Sometimes the game (FE6; idk if that's an issue with other games too) just freezes. In chapter 10A, it just always freezed when the turn 4 reinforcement pirate was supposed to spawn. Blocking the fort solved the issue.

In chapter 11A, my PC told me there's some sort of error (incomprehensible message I didn't remember) after Tate's squad spawned, and the game freezed and deleted all the progress (the chapter saves were deleted and HM wasn't unlocked anymore).

Any ideas why that happens?

(note: I didn't have gringe's translation patch on my copy back then, fwiw)

Edited by Gradivus.

Finished an FE7 run today. Things I noticed:

- Pent (or whoever replaces him) can die in the desert map if he turns out to be the wrong class. The only way around this is to cheat or get really lucky.

- The same goes for Nino and Jaffar.

- Victory or Death turned glitchy ( http://imgur.com/A6pkuy6) and reset at some point right after one of the cavaliers moved.

- Athos does not mesh well with the randomizer - not his character slot, and not his replacement. I had Athos replace my Hector (since I did reverse recruitment) and he kept his original growths (AKA 0%), buffed to the minimum I had set (5%). This makes that character practically unplayable. I guess it's part of the randomizer, but it really sucks that this is what your lord will always be if you choose reverse.

- As for his replacement, Hector happened to be the only unit on my final team who could survive the Fire Dragon, who spawned with 42 atk and a bunch of extra speed. Hector himself couldn't do anything since he only had Cs in his weapon ranks.

Suggestion: Add an option to leave Athos out of the randomization process, so that he's always there to beat the Fire Dragon and none of your characters get stuck with his growths.

- Speaking of the Final Chapter, I noticed all the morphs with dropped weapons had an Elixir. I assume this wasn't random. Maybe it was part of the "buff bosses" option? Either way, this has the side effect of that Elixir becoming dropped over the S-rank weapons, so to obtain those you have to kill the bosses without them ever attacking you on enemy phase. I guess it's only an issue for perfectionists or people who are insane enough to play ranked, but I'm having my doubts on whether this was intended.

- I promoted my main lord (Mercenary) with a Hero Crest into Hero and when he got his story promotion he "promoted" into Mercenary again, losing 2 con and 1 mov in the process, not gaining any stats. I guess I deserved it for promoting him to begin with.

- My Matthew turned into Renault, Thief, but he had ranks in both swords and light magic.

- I had two Legaults: one replaced Lucius, and the other was in his original spot. Lucius was nowhere to be seen.

Sometimes the game (FE6; idk if that's an issue with other games too) just freezes. In chapter 10A, it just always freezed when the turn 4 reinforcement pirate was supposed to spawn. Blocking the fort solved the issue.

In chapter 11A, my PC told me there's some sort of error (incomprehensible message I didn't remember) after Tate's squad spawned, and the game freezed and deleted all the progress (the chapter saves were deleted and HM wasn't unlocked anymore).

Any ideas why that happens?

(note: I didn't have gringe's translation patch on my copy back then, fwiw)

I was told that there was a glitch on that chapter. In 10B, the game will glitch during Miledy's cutscene, so I skipped it, so I guess you should skip the cutscene where Tate spawns. I don't know why all that other stuff happens, but I noticed for me the game always deletes saved progress, so I use save states.

I'd also like to know why the game totally freezes after the last gaiden chapter after the scene where you get the sealed sword and apocalypse. Can someone help us??