Is it just me...

Or is this games earlygame difficulty on Lunatic much harder than the rest of the games? I haven't had this much trouble in the earlygame of any FE except maybe FE11 H5 and FE13 Lunatic+ (granted I haven't played Thracia), but this seems even more difficult than those. FE6/FE10 HM earlygames feel like a walk in the park compared to this. Is there a specific reclass/forge I'm supposed to do earlygame? Should I just be feeding every single prologue kill to Chris and having him go solo maps? If I fodder off units things would be easier, but I don't want to complete the game that way. halp

Yeah, this game is generally agreed to be one of the hardest FEs on the higher difficulties. I recommend against soloing with Chris, that gets tedious pretty quickly. Don't try to train all the 7th platooners, just give EXP to one or at best two of them. Don't hesitate to feed prologue EXP to Caeda or Ogma, since they can be worth it. Also, focus on a future Horseman (best class for lategame), if they're among the prologue units, which is recommendable since the prologue EXP makes them easier to use than units like (for example) Castor. As for how to get through some of the troublesome early maps:

C1: Field Arran as a General or Swordmaster; if you don't have access to General!Arran, try to split up the enemies in the opening (look at PKL's mid tier run for reference). Use Pegasus Knight!Cecille to manipulate the boss area enemies to move towards the Cave (by standing barely outside of their attacking range while another unit aggroes the left part of the group, see my H4 Myrmidon!MU run) instead of swarming towards your main group. Have someone stand on the cave, it doesn't matter who it is or when, since you'll get a small bullion then.

C2: Forge a Steel Bow to 11~13 Mt (11-12 Mt will ensure that non-longterm Archers don't get the kills) if you have too much trouble dealing with the Dracoknights; use Dracoknight!Arran and Catria to get the Lady Sword and they additionally can split up the insta-moving enemies, which can be convenient since chances are that you can't rout all of them at the same time and place.

C3: Use Palla's Silver Lance to oneshot the Thief and ORKO the cavaliers. Pull the Dracoknights near the starting positions while having Archers and Linde deal chip damage. They aggro pretty oddly, you can refer to some H3 playthrough to see which Dracoknights attack along with which other group. Ensuring Palla's survival might become tricky eventually, though I recall that pulling at least one Dracoknight squad means that she can flee safely.

C3x: Ehh, it's not that hard, but Sniper!Arran can be pretty helpful, since he ORKOes Archers (IIRC) with a steel bow. Use Palla or Catria as a flier to save Wrys, and bait the Archer that aggroes towards Wrys on turn 2. Cavalier!Catria can do Sniper!Arran's job too, since you might want him to go Dracoknight (or might not need to field him). You can use Linde or Bord with a forged Hammer if you lack the manpower to rout the Knights otherwise. The Knights in the opening always attack before the Archers, so a positioning that leaves a low-Def unit with sufficient HP in the range of a Knight, but not an Archer, will allow you to survive even if you leave multiple enemies alive.

C4: Use Dracoknight!Arran to pull the Bandits in Sirius' area away from Ogma's group by standing on this tile: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4047/ahwvft9n_png.htm , have Cavalier!Catria and Pegasus Knight!Palla rush towards Ogma's group since they can ORKO Pirates with Silver Lance or Lady Sword respectively. Burn a rescue use on Ogma (allows him to recruit Sirius immediately on turn 1 and being rescued so he doesn't get killed) or Marth (him and Castor being around also means that you have more units to defend Ogma's group) if you don't manage it without rescue. You can afford to skip the shaver since it's pretty unuseful.

C5: Use Dracoknight!Sirius to pull the DKs and protect the village. Maybe you can rout the non-Jeorge Snipers and encircle Jeorge with 4 units, which will allow for more leniency when dealing with the rest of the map, but is pretty hard on itself, your call. Use Paladin!Sirius in that case, to oneshot the Master Seal Thief on turn 3 with Devil Sword, while pulling a Sniper. You can alternatively promote Chris if they're ready for it. The Ballistae attack low-Def units primarily, which you can make use of too. They also attack first I think. Field Dracoknight!Arran if you can't do the sniper pull, since Sirius might miss out on a Spd proc, which makes him not double the Bishop, who you want to kill for the Physic. No need to recruit Rickard since he reappears in C6.

C6: You can try to ignore the reinforcements and skip through the boss area with a rescue use on Marth, while Caeda with a crit or Caeda + Sirius can kill Lang. Units with armorslayer and Caeda can accomplish the left room rout. Caeda can move right next to the Sniper, which makes sure that multiple units can engage him on the subsequent turn. Have Marth get the treasure in the room with the Mages, just use Palla or Catria to get rid of them with Pure Water. Field Julian to get the bullion and Rickard.

C6x: You can use a rescue to 1-turn it if your team fails to survive the enemies. IIRC, Paladin!Sirius with a Devil Sword, Silver!Palla and a decent bow user can do the Roro kill pretty easily, though the hitrates are crap.

Overall, the enemies tend to attack units that they pull >=2 Crt against (there seems to be some hitrate threshold that removes this priority, but I don't know it and since FE12 has good hitrates, it shouldn't matter) with the highest priority (only topped by guaranteed kills) and then the highest damage in the round of combat. They don't care if the enemy can retaliate. You can exploit this pretty consistently with low-Lck or low-Def units.

Edited by Gradivus.

Thanks for the help. I thought getting Sirius would trivialize the game a bit kind of like how Wolf/Sedgar do it in FE11, but things were still pretty difficult, although Chris seems to be ridiculously strong. I didn't really find any of the 7th platooners really usable, but maybe thats just my incompetence. The last FE game I'd played recently was FE6, and I was expecting Arran to be comparable to Marcus, but I was definitely in for a rude awakening x.x

Is there a specific point in the game where the difficulty begins to taper off? I thought having S ranked HHM/FE6 HM and completing the rest of the games pretty easily on their hardest difficulties would have prepared me to blindrun this game on lunatic, but boy was I wrong xd

It pretty much never really loses out on difficulty, though you'll see some single maps that are somewhat easy (aside from the Gaidens, except for the last one, which are breather maps aswell).

The 7th platooners want their thief kills and bosskills in prologue to get going, but they'll stay good if they keep killing things, as long as they are in a class they have good growths in.

As for Sirius, he's still very good, but his main strength is offense, much like for most other units in this game. FE12 ensures pretty well that the player can't trivialize it by turtling, which in fact tends to be harder than an offensive playstyle (more maps have mage type enemies and Generals don't come close to nullifying incoming damage). Arran is probably more comparable to FE6!Marcus, but still worse, if you have access to mixed reclassing, since General lets him get into 4HKOish range, while dealing a lot of damage with silver lance and escaping doubling from enemies.