Planning for Data Transfer

Transfers on First Playthrough  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I use transfers on my first RD playthrough (NM)?

• Yes. Use them.
    • No. Do your first playthrough vanilla.
    • I'm adding this so I can "vote" for it and not have to click to view results.

As I wrap up my first PoR playthrough (Chapter 23 right now), I've been thinking about how to go about making my transfer data to RD (haven't played RD before). To prove I've put some thought into it, have an Excel spreadsheet FE9Transfers.zip (I'll talk about everything here in the OP; no need to download unless you want to for some reason). I'm playing the PAL version, so EM transfers will work. I have a few things I'd like help with. I plan to boss abuse in Chapter 26, getting several characters whose transfers I don't care about that much (plus Titania who I do care about) from base to cap and also training Mia from somewhere around 20/0 to cap. Boss abuse in Final too, which is why Rhys is on here. For organization's sake I'll put my questions at the top.

1) Am I being too ambitious? I know this many transfers would be too many on NM, but will it work out on NM?

2) If I am being too ambitious, what should I cut? One way to save EXP is to cut out some units, but another possibility I can see is dropping some harder-to-get stats (HP and Res on Ike, HP on Oscar and Kieran, HP and Def on Zihark...) so that I can safely boss abuse most of those units' levels.

3) I've been putting a lot of emphasis on HP transfers. Am I overestimating their value? They seem pretty huge since they give 5 points where everything else just gives 2.

4) Should I try to give Brom good transfers instead of just boss abusing him to cap? I'm on the fence about him. It seems like it would be easy enough to give him HP/Str/Skill/Speed/Def plus a Bond support with Nephenee, which would be a pretty godly transfer, but on the other hand no matter how good of a transfer I give him he'll always be a General, and not even the best General. Too bad I can't transfer over Move or decent caps...

5) Anyone else who I really should be trying to give good transfers to?

6) Should I try to get Volke up to level 20 before promotion? I'm going to boss abuse him after promotion, and having those 10 levels before promotion would increase his capping potential.

7) On my first ever playthrough of RD (Normal mode), should I use transfers or not?

List of people who I'm planning to transfer with rigged stats:

Ike HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def/Res Soren support

Titania Spd

Oscar HP/Str/Skill/Spd Tanith support

Boyd HP/Str/Skill/Spd

Shinon Str/Skill/Spd

Soren Mag/Skill/Spd/Res Ike support

Mia Str/Skill/Spd

Ilyana Mag/Skill/Spd/Res Zihark support

Marcia Str/Skill/Spd/Def Kieran support

Mist HP/Str/Mag/Skill/Spd/Def/Res Jill support (favoritism :D)

Kieran HP/Str/Skill/Spd Marcia support

Nephenee Str/Skill/Spd/Def

Zihark HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def Ilyana support

Jill HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def Mist support

Tormod Mag/Spd

Tanith Str/Skill/Spd Oscar support

Haar Spd

Geoffrey Spd/Def Elincia support

Elincia Str/Mag/Skill/Spd Geoffrey support

Sothe 39 HP, 20 Str, 20 Skill, 20 Spd, 28 Luck, 20 Def, 15 Res

Reasoning/Explanations

Ike HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def/Res - Res fixes up his only weak spot. Spd helps him get ready for the BK fight. He can get HP without a Robe, so might as well. Str, Skill, and Def are easy enough that I might as well. It's not that I intended to make Ike as ridiculously OP as possible; it just works out this way.

Titania Spd - I'll boss abuse her from base to cap against Bertram. With the Knight Ward, she should cap, but I'll reset if she fails and I can't Speedwing her up.

Oscar HP/Str/Skill/Spd - He should be able to BEXP his Str up pretty well with this. Tanith support for double Earth, similar movement, and overlapping availability.

Boyd HP/Str/Skill/Spd - Based on what I have read about RD Boyd, with this transfer and a Speedwings he'll become just about perfect.

Shinon Str/Skill/Spd - I know he doesn't really need transfers, but I like him more than Rofl so he'll probably see use in most of my playthroughs. If I'll usually be using him, might as well transfer.

Soren Mag/Skill/Spd/Res - The Spd transfer is to fix up his RD Spd (Who would have thought?) and the rest happens easily. Whether I wanted to take him along or not, he needs to build support with Ike. It just happens that I do like him and want to give him a good transfer.

Mia Str/Skill/Spd - From what I've read it doesn't seem like she needs much, and would probably be absolutely fine if I weren't even giving her this, but the additional Str means that she gets to murder all things instead of most things. If I get her stats high in the early levels, she should be able to get most of her levels from boss abuse, making her cheap to transfer.

Ilyana Mag/Skill/Spd/Res - She has a bit of a harder time than Soren getting these stats, but the only hard one to get is Spd, which it sounds like she pretty much needs if I want her to be good. I do want her to be good. Zihark support for recruit convo.

Marcia Str/Skill/Spd/Def - Spd and durability are her problem areas, right? This should help. Kieran support for similar move and availability.

Mist HP/Str/Mag/Skill/Spd/Def/Res - Favoritism. She'll eat stat boosters. Only thing I'm not giving her is Luck because it's about as much of a pain in the ass as HP without giving as good of a reward. Plus, Sothe wants those Ashera Icons.

Kieran HP/Str/Skill/Spd - Should be able to get his Spd up this way.

Nephenee Str/Skill/Spd/Def - The +4 AS that it sounds like I'll want for her joining map in Hard mode, plus extras. Wasn't sure if she or Zihark wanted the Robe for an HP transfer more, but Zihark is in the Dawn Brigade and they need as much help as they can get, right?

Zihark HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def - I hear Zihark likes durability.

Jill HP/Str/Skill/Spd/Def - I'll have her cap HP by getting it every level.

Tormod Mag/Spd - Nothing else seems worthwhile here.

Tanith Str/Skill/Spd - Because I hear she wants Spd. Might as well grap Str and Skill while I'm at it.

Haar Spd - If Haar takes the Speedwings every playthrough, then what was the point of transferring Boyd?

Geoffrey Spd/Def - Easy enough to transfer thanks to Paragon, high level, decent growths, Knight Ward. Str and Skill don't seem all that worthwhile since they require quite a bit of abuse in PoR and only give him half the benefit in RD.

Elincia Str/Mag/Skill/Spd - I haven't heard much about people transferring Elincia, but her RD averages look like she could use some help reaching pretty green numbers, so here are the four stats that look easiest to rig to cap. I'll try to leave an Energy Drop or two for Ulki.

Sothe - I'll level him entirely with BEXP rather than ever deploying him. Needs HP and Luck every level. Will take the two Ashera Icons.

Boss Abuse Brigade: These guys will be boss abused from base to cap in Chapter 26 (Final chapter in Rhys's case and possibly Reyson's). I don't plan to reset for them to get good stats, but it would be nice if Ulki gets into Energy Drop range. I'll list the bands I plan to have on them, which I will of course change based on how their levels go.

Rhys - Skill/Spd

Gatrie - Str/Def

Rolf - Skill/Spd

Volke - Str/?, Skill/Speed instead if I get him to 20 before promotion

Brom - Str/Def

Astrid - KW

Makalov - KW

Stefan - Skill/Spd

Devdan - Str/?

Reyson - Mag

Calill - Mag

Lucia - Skill/Spd

Bastian - Str/?

Largo - Skill/Spd

Ulki - Str/Def

The people who don't get any sort of transfer in this plan are Tauroneo and Laguz who aren't named Ulki, Reyson, or Giffca.

Thank you!

Edit: I'll add a poll. Why not.

Edited by isetrh

I've never used transfers, but I imagine they're most useful on the middling units to make them stronger.

There's no reason not to use them if you want to buff certain units.

I wouldn't worry about Brom/Volke unless you plan to use them long-term.

A HP transfer would be useful if you want to cap more things in RD because of how BEXP works.

I've never used transfers, but I imagine they're most useful on the middling units to make them stronger.

There's no reason not to use them if you want to buff certain units.

I wouldn't worry about Brom/Volke unless you plan to use them long-term.

A HP transfer would be useful if you want to cap more things in RD because of how BEXP works.

I've been thinking about the first point a little. Maybe that one means that I should drop some things from Ike, since he's in no way a "middling" unit?

That makes sense on Brom and Volke. I'll probably never use Brom much, so no point in giving him a lot of effort.

That was my logic on the HP. Sounds like you agree with it.

Transfers aren't really that important in NM. Just use the ones you already have, and don't exert any effort to get better transfers.

They're for future playthroughs in general, including HM, but thanks. I guess I could hold off until I'm ready to start HM.

20 characters aside from those being raised through boss abuse is definitely too ambitious for NM, especially with most of them not being pre-promoted. Even with the most efficient use of BEXP and available enemies, 13-14 is all I've been able to squeeze out.

As for who to cut, I'll suggest in order, with the top being who I think should be first on the chopping block and going down. Of course, you should always prioritize characters you personally prefer:

Tormod - Similar problem as Geoffrey. If you want to use him for Endgame, they'll certainly help, but most would agree it is probably best not to bother.

Elincia - She kind of just doesn't need them. She has a Prf Sword that never breaks, acts like a Brave weapon, and gives +3 Def/Res, on top of having very good growths.

Kieran - He'll get more mileage out of them than Geoffrey and Tormod, but otherwise has the same problem.

Mist - Unfortunately, Mist is so weak in combat that even a good transfer really can't save her. If you want to use her long term, though, it's practically necessary.

Shinon - They help (I'm getting to that point where the remaining characters do quite like transfers), but he's already pretty good for a Sniper in RD, so the boost isn't that notable.

Titania - The Speed is very nice, but she's still great regardless and the boost isn't too significant in RD NM.

Tanith - Transfers help her quite a lot, but I'm putting her here because your remainders all have a lot more availability and get more mileage out of transfers as a result.

Haar - He's already Haar. Putting him down here because capping him off in PoR doesn't require much experience comparatively (same could be said about Tanith tbh).

Oscar - His Str issues are a lot less pronounced in NM, but that's about all there is to say against his transfers.

That's 9 of your 20 characters (I originally put Geoffrey in but he's so quick to level in PoR that he costs about 20% of any other character). If you cut 7-8 of them out, you should be fine.

How much time you want to spend on Ch 26 boss abuse is all up to you. Just make sure to bring plenty of weak weapons.

Here's what I did in my best transfers playthrough:

18 without any kind of abuse:

Ike: Str, Skl, Spd, Def, Res

Calill: Mag, Skl, Spd

Largo: HP, Str, Skl, Spd

Ilyana: Str, Mag, Skl, Spd, Res

Janaff: Str, Def

Tormod: Mag, Spd

Nephenee: Str, Skl, Spd, Def

Haar: HP, Str, Spd, Def

Sothe: 38 HP, 20 Str Skl Spd Def, 28 Luk, 17 Res

Marcia: Str, Skl, Spd, Def, Res

Jill: HP, Str, Skl, Spd, Def, Res

Tanith: Str, Spd, Skl, Def

Oscar: Str, Spd, Skl, Def

Tauroneo: Str, Spd

Boyd: HP, Str, Skl, Spd

Titania: Str, Spd

Giffca: Str

Ulki: Str, Def

Mia: Str, Spd

Lucia: Str, Spd

Staff abuse in Endgame:

Rhys: Mag, Skl, Res

Elincia: Mag

Soren: Mag, Skl

Reyson: Mag, Skl

These are probably the most humanly practical optimal transfers for LTC, and I'm sure they'll be just as helpful in any HM playthrough, LTC or not.

20 characters aside from those being raised through boss abuse is definitely too ambitious for NM, especially with most of them not being pre-promoted. Even with the most efficient use of BEXP and available enemies, 13-14 is all I've been able to squeeze out.As for who to cut, I'll suggest in order, with the top being who I think should be first on the chopping block and going down. Of course, you should always prioritize characters you personally prefer:Tormod - Similar problem as Geoffrey. If you want to use him for Endgame, they'll certainly help, but most would agree it is probably best not to bother.Elincia - She kind of just doesn't need them. She has a Prf Sword that never breaks, acts like a Brave weapon, and gives +3 Def/Res, on top of having very good growths.Kieran - He'll get more mileage out of them than Geoffrey and Tormod, but otherwise has the same problem.Mist - Unfortunately, Mist is so weak in combat that even a good transfer really can't save her. If you want to use her long term, though, it's practically necessary.Shinon - They help (I'm getting to that point where the remaining characters do quite like transfers), but he's already pretty good for a Sniper in RD, so the boost isn't that notable.Titania - The Speed is very nice, but she's still great regardless and the boost isn't too significant in RD NM.Tanith - Transfers help her quite a lot, but I'm putting her here because your remainders all have a lot more availability and get more mileage out of transfers as a result.Haar - He's already Haar. Putting him down here because capping him off in PoR doesn't require much experience comparatively (same could be said about Tanith tbh).Oscar - His Str issues are a lot less pronounced in NM, but that's about all there is to say against his transfers.That's 9 of your 20 characters (I originally put Geoffrey in but he's so quick to level in PoR that he costs about 20% of any other character). If you cut 7-8 of them out, you should be fine.How much time you want to spend on Ch 26 boss abuse is all up to you. Just make sure to bring plenty of weak weapons.

Thanks. If I need to cut some people, based on what you've said I would go for Tormod, Elincia, Haar, and maybe Titania, Kieran, and Haar. Oscar's staying because I want these transfers to be geared toward HM as well. Titania's staying because her transfer doesn't cost any exp, just a slot in the boss abuse chapter.

I was actually asking if it was too ambitious for EM, since I'm playing the PAL version, but I guess EM could be considered cheating seeing as most versions can't transfer it. If I go NM for that reason your advice becomes pretty important.

I was actually asking if it was too ambitious for EM, since I'm playing the PAL version, but I guess EM could be considered cheating seeing as most versions can't transfer it. If I go NM for that reason your advice becomes pretty important.

Oh, geez, I read the part about EM in your first post but somehow I actually read it as you can't play EM rather than can, so my original response is basically useless...follow Chiki's post, I don't do EM transfers because I never got a replacement RD disc.