Fixing Fates story issues (spoilers)

Yari

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've been thinking of spinning Touma as a composite of the Cradles of Civilization (for humans anyway) in the Yellow River and Fertile Crescent. It's occurred to me it might be a dandy idea to try to bridge the gap between the Western and and Eastern cultures.

So...Mesopotamia, Egypt, China and so on? That sound good. I was thinking of giving Touma a sort of Egyptian vibe (at least in terms of architecture).

These sound pretty good. Some questions/comments:

1: Why Leon looks rather slim and less physically inclined, Marx also has a "pretty boy face" so the beauty standard seems a little informed. There are also a lot of male mages in Nohr so one would think that bookish wouldn't lose out to beefcake in terms of respected gender roles/images. Or maybe I'm reading too deep about a correlation to classes and physical appearance...

2. Does Elise know that Camilla killed her mom? Even if they weren't close, that's pretty significant for how their (Camilla and Elise) relationship would play out.

3. What is up with these poison potatoes? I feel like half the casualties in the story are caused by these.

1- It's pretty hard to convey the specifics of such things in artwork or on animated models, but it's more prominent in the artwork

[spoiler=Appearance]

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/d/d5/Ryoma_and_Xander.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150630080337

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/1/17/Leo_and_Takumi.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150630081138

Leo has more prominent eyelashes than Xander for example and his face also appears to be less angular (although that might just be me). Hell, one of Leo's Skinship lines is saying that he has a rather feminine looking face. As for body, he uses magic as his primary weapon with swords being more of an emergency back-up, so he's definitely going to be less muscular than Xander. He's not completely without muscle mind you, but it's more of a toned swimmer/dancer body than the 'beefcake' look. He's also not completely unattractive either, it's just that the feminine look is more niche appeal than anything else in Nohr. Kamui gets hit with this too, but his secondary issue isn't muscle, it's that he has a very eerie/uncanny valley appearance for Nohrians.

2- They've talked about it and agreed that it was 'for the best' considering her rapidly-deteriorating mental state (she was a Dark Mage, and dark magic has a lot of adverse affects on the mind and body over time, which did not mix well with her genetic mental illness).

3- Potatoes (especially sweet potatoes) are very popular in Nohr, to the point were it's a joke that anybody who doesn't like them is a Hoshidan in disguise. Camilla's mother was a little paranoid when it came to poison and cooked her own meals and loved potatoes the same way Leo loves tomatoes, so she and Camilla were able to get into the kitchen pretty easily and loiter around the potato containers without arousing much suspicion.

Edited by Phillius

What do you all say about making Hoshido more militarized (and maybe with a noticeably higher GDP) yet more split, while Nohr is less militarized yet more unified?

The peace-loving shtick is junk and comes off as something you'd see in a revisionist textbook. It's just not believable for such an apparently major pre-industrial nation. Yet, I seek to make Nohr have something that at least could be an edge in war. So, while Hoshido does have the troops, the cash, what have you, it's ultimately not so united.

Edited by Alazen

What do you all say about making Hoshido more militarized (and maybe with a noticeably higher GDP) yet more split, while Nohr is less militarized yet more unified?

The peace-loving shtick is junk and comes off as something you'd see in a revisionist textbook. It's just not believable for such an apparently major pre-industrial nation. Yet, I seek to make Nohr have something that at least could be an edge in war. So, while Hoshido does have the troops, the cash, what have you, it's ultimately not so united.

While some in-fighting and political scheming would be appreciated, I think TOO much division will undermine their credibility vs a completely unified empire. Unless I'm mistaken, Hoshido's surplus is of the food variety, and otherwise, militarily speaking, they aren't a powerhouse. I'm thinking of Hoshido as being a (figurative) pot of gold that Nohr sees and saying "Oh, that's mine now" in the canon story. I think size will be sufficient for the reason why Nohr is a legitimate.

Edited by NekoKnight

I always imagined Hoshido as having a very violent and war-mongering past that did...things that make even the worst Nohrian war crimes look like playground bullying by comparison, but that time in history is something that almost everyone treats as something to be deeply ashamed of and their (mostly) overly peaceful ways are them overcompensating for that time.

Or a representation of what happened to Japanese culture over the centuries. I doubt many of them are proud of what happened when Imperial Japan was around. I'm sure the culture has it's flaws (all cultures do), but they're not exactly the xenophobic, ultra-conservative war-mongers they used to be

Edited by Phillius

[spoiler=NSFW Lyrics]

And Hoshido almost lost a war with Nohr and only survived because they got bailed out by the countries they previously oppressed. They're still a bit racist when it comes to treatment of immigrants, but they're nowhere near as bad as they used to be

Edited by Phillius

I picked up Tactics Ogre and I'm already enjoying what they do with the characters. I mean, they can make me feel for extremely minor boss characters with a simple bio in the "library" feature of the game. Even nobodies you'll never see again are written as people you can sympathize with. IS, hire THESE people as writers!

Anyway...

Here are some short bio's for the non-royals. I'll start with Nohr and the shared characters but I'll get to Hoshido eventually.

Incoming walls of text.
In the order of their recruitment:
[spoiler=Shared]
Joker: Kamui's snarky but reliable butler. He's the youngest child of a minor royal family so he didn't have many opportunities to advance until he came into Kamui's household. He apprenticed under Gunter who taught him how to be a proper vassal.
Silas: Kamui's childhood friend and a yet to be ordained knight under the service of.Lord Ackerman (new character). He has the best rapport with Kamui and is thought by many to have feelings for them, although Kamui hasn't noticed.

Aqua: The daughter of the water tribe's chieftain in Nohr. After her tribe's failed rebellion, she is kept as a political hostage and left in Kamui's household. She has mystical singing powers and a calm and caring personality that makes her fast friends with Sakura and Elise.
Mozume: A farm girl orphaned after her village (which resides in eastern Nohr, an area with a notable population of Hoshidans) was razed by bandits. She's quite shy because of her accent but has a surprisingly bold personality if you get to know her.
Ashura: An ex-ninja from the now non-existent Kouga country, he has lived a rough life of banditry and mercenary work since. He's cynical and slow to trust but has incredible insight to the underworld of Hoshido and Nohr.

Suzukaze: A ninja of Hoshido but doesn't serve a particular lord. He is the twin brother of Saizo and caretaker for Midoriko. His polite and approachable demeanor makes him popular in the army. He is not fond of violence and prefers to use his talents for collecting information. He'll side with Kamui in Nohr when Kamui announces their plans to defeat Garon.

Midoriko: A war orphan from the last Hoshido/Nohr war. She makes and sells medicine to make ends meet but she was looked after by both Suzukaze and Saizo. Her cute mannerisms and hardworking nature made her something of an idol in the army. She is recruited by Suzukaze after he pledges himself to Kamui and the defeat of Garon.

Crimson: A Wyvern Knight and the daughter of the late king of Chevalier. She is determined to restore her country's honor after a certain incident. She's a skilled and powerful warrior but has a passion for decorating things. She will ally with Ryoma in Hoshido to make up for the wrongdoings of her father. She will ally with Kamui in Nohr after they help liberate Chevalier from a Nohrian assault.

Shigure: Another member of the Water Tribe. Well meaning but brash, he tried to impress Aqua with his leadership abilities and convinced her father to rebel against Nohr. When his plan backfired, he deeply regretted his foolhardiness and pledged to rescue Aqua, independent of his village. By the time he meets the party he has almost given up hope and is planning a dangerous attack on the capital.

[spoiler=Nohr]

Gunter: A seasoned knight who acted as the master of arms for Garon's children. He is stern but kind, acting as a surrogate father to Kamui. He meets his unfortunate end at the Infinite Chasm after a routine scouting mission goes awry.

Elfie: A noble-born knight and guardian of Princess Elise. She is extremely devoted to training and Elise's protection that many find her unsociable. Her single-minded determination and overwhelming strength has earned her a number of fans, however. She has the appetite of a bear but always burns off any weight she gains.

Harold: A low-born man with a deep passion for justice. Before he came into the service of Princess Elise, he wandered around Nohr protecting the weak from harm, asking for little in return. He has remarably bad luck and is never far from danger, but somehow he has always survived his encounters. He's the unknowing father of Lutz.

Ophelia: A mercenary mage and former lover to Soleil. An eccentric girl obsessed with fancy names and spellcraft, she stands in contrast to her more grounded partner, Zero. She belives she was chosen for a grand purpose in life but is still searching for what that may be. She's hired by Leon to assist Kamui in the subjugation of the Ice Tribe.

Zero: An orphan who grew up in the slums of Nohr's capital, he made a living as a thief, streetear and child prostitute. He has little conception of personal space and his lewd comments often put people on edge. He has a sadism streak and has been known to deliberately cripple targets, rather than outright kill them. Currently he is a mercenary hired by Prince Leon and works alongside Ophelia.

Flora: A maid in service to Kamui's household and unknown to them, the daughter of the Ice Tribe's chieftain. She has a playful personality but occasionally has bouts of depression. While affectionate towards Kamui and Joker, she places her own family first and takes part in her family's rebellion. She dreams of eventually starting a family one day and returning to her village.

Flannel: The chieftain of the werewolves at Garou Peak and the fiance of Velour. He seeks Kamui's aid when dark magic starts making his people go feral. While the Garou are generally reclusive, he has a fondness for making trips to the city and is a snappy dresser. He loves picking up knickknacks, a passion shared by his fiance.

Luna: The daughter of a noble family and a vassal to Princess Camilla. Her mother was an extremely talented fighter herself leading to Luna acquiring an inferiority complex. She's highly competitive and is often irked by Belka's indifferent attitude to her challenges. Luna has a passion for shopping and works hard to pay for her hobby.

Belka: An emotionally distant, former child assassin now serving as a vassal to Princess Camilla. She kills freely and barely reacts to the death of comrades, which has led some to describe her as as cold blooded as the wyvern she rides. She is seemingly incapable of feeling affection but is secretly lonely and laments not knowing how to communicate with others.

[spoiler=Character Ages]

Joker: 20

Silas: 16

Aqua: 17

Mozume: 15

Ashura: 35

Suzukaze: 18

Midoriko: 12

Crimson: 23

Shigure: 20

Gunter: 62

Elfie: 20

Harold: 29

Ophelia: 16

Zero: 21

Flora: 19

Flannel: 25

Luna: 18

Belka: 17

Nyx: 125 (although she stopped aging at 13)

Charlotte: 20

Benoit: 27

Lazwald: 21

Pieri: 20

Seigbert: 20

Velour: 23

Lutz: 14

Soeleil: 17

Ignis: 28

Cut Characters: Odin, Eponine, Foleo, Sophie, Kanna, Deere, Tsukuyomi, Mitama, Grey, Felicia and Izana (no longer recruit-able)

More Nohr bios later when I'm less tired.

Edited by NekoKnight

Alazen pls

If there is one point I've stressed over and over again, it's that I don't want a 3rd path or any of the plots/characters associated with it.

I feel like it would be helpful if we had a new thread with an OP that had summaries of what everyone is working on. Would you guys like it if I made a new thread?

Alazen pls

If there is one point I've stressed over and over again, it's that I don't want a 3rd path or any of the plots/characters associated with it.

I feel like it would be helpful if we had a new thread with an OP that had summaries of what everyone is working on. Would you guys like it if I made a new thread?

As the OP of this thread I say go for it because I'm way too lazy to do something like that.